PDA

View Full Version : 2 years ago today, we lost one of the best writers of the 20 century.

Sirc
11th April 09, 04:00 PM
atABhlMLYvU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Vonnegut

Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (November 11, 1922 April 11, 2007) (pronounced /ˈvɒnəgət/) was a prolific and genre-bending American novelist known for works blending satire, black comedy and science fiction, such as Slaughterhouse-Five (1969), Cat's Cradle (1963), and Breakfast of Champions (1973).[2]He was also known for his humanist beliefs and being honorary president of the American Humanist Association.

So it goes.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
11th April 09, 04:00 PM
i read genre-bending as gender-bending lol

SFGOON
11th April 09, 04:29 PM
I did too. I must be gay now!

Steve
11th April 09, 05:04 PM
I did too. I must be gay now!

Nah, you were just thinking about all those fashion threads that MJS's been posting. It happens to everyone.

MrBadGuy
11th April 09, 05:53 PM
Nah, you were just thinking about all those fashion threads that MJS's been posting. It happens to everyone.

How is this a counterpoint to him being gay?

Steve
11th April 09, 06:05 PM
How is this a counterpoint to him being gay?

It isn't. I was explaining why he read "genre" as "gender."

Don't worry, I wasn't trying to crush your dream of Goon one day taking you behind the barn and making sweet, sweaty man love to you.

WarPhalange
11th April 09, 06:08 PM
Fuck you all, this thread is about Vonnegut, not your homoerotic fantasies.

Slaughterhouse-Five was the best book I've ever been forced to read in school, and a favorite amongst the several books that I have voluntarily read in my life, as well.

mrm1775
11th April 09, 06:28 PM
Fuck you all, this thread is about Vonnegut, not your homoerotic fantasies.

Slaughterhouse-Five was the best book I've ever been forced to read in school, and a favorite amongst the several books that I have voluntarily read in my life, as well.
I wish they forced us to read Slaughterhouse-Five when I was in school.

bob
11th April 09, 06:42 PM
http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45708

Steve
11th April 09, 06:55 PM

It's good to see that NoB hasn't changed a bit.

Sirc
11th April 09, 06:55 PM

Asshole.

Don't make this about you.

WarPhalange
11th April 09, 07:31 PM
I wish they forced us to read Slaughterhouse-Five when I was in school.

Last I heard, the English teacher that had us read it got fired a few years later (after I had graduated). He was in general a quirky/borderline NC-17 rated kinda guy and the friend I heard about him getting fired from wasn't sure if it was true, either, so I would think either he royally fucked up, got laid off, or quit on his own.

And it's funny that two years ago I said almost exactly the same sentence about this book.

Shawarma
12th April 09, 10:36 AM
Read two of KV's books, one of them being Slaughterhouse Five. Found them to be fairly unimpressive and overrated.

KV gets bonus points for referring to Brothers Karamazov as one of the greatest books ever, but besides that, I don't really see what the fuss is about.

Sirc
12th April 09, 01:16 PM
Read two of KV's books, one of them being Slaughterhouse Five. Found them to be fairly unimpressive and overrated.

KV gets bonus points for referring to Brothers Karamazov as one of the greatest books ever, but besides that, I don't really see what the fuss is about.

Please continue telling us about how to be popular and better. I am intrigued.

Based on your past opinions on things, you're pretty much not credible on any subject. Even less credible than Toby Christensen.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
13th April 09, 01:19 PM
I'm pretty sure some of our classes read Slaughterhouse Five though none of mine did. We did read plenty of fiiiiine literature though so you guys can cut it out with the woe is the American school system thing.

WarPhalange
14th April 09, 12:59 AM

That's because you're a fucking dumbass who didn't understand the book one bit. I bet you're the kind of guy who couldn't figure out if it was a war book, a sci-fi book, or some sort of detective novel, so you just got pissed and claimed it's because the book sucks. amirite?

Shawarma
14th April 09, 03:31 AM
Maybe. I just didn't feel that the writing was as brilliant as people claim it is and that I've seen far better descriptions of the horrors at war elsewhere. I also feel that authors inserting themselves into stories should be banned by law, even if KVs appearance was pretty much a oneliner. KV wrote, IIRC, in the foreword that the book was going to be a jumbled mess. I agree with him.

The section on the bombing of Dresden was pretty good, and is in fact the only reason I remember the book. I understand that KV took some significant flak for telling the truth about it which deserves credit.

Vonnegut never touched me. I can't even remember the title of the second book of his I read, think it was about a corrupt politician getting jailed or something, but it was eminently forgettable.

Zendetta
14th April 09, 12:25 PM
Vonnegut

See, Sirc, I want to despise you for your obnoxious net dickery, but then you post a thread about Ahab being the King of All Badasses....

So it goes.

Vonnegut is/was awesome, a real American treasure ala Twain. I saw him speak live a long long long time ago and it was incredibly inspiring. He spoke plainly and ferociously, and clearly stated his abiding love for this country, as well as his vicious frustration at those who would douche it up.

He also went out of his way to seriously pwn an upstart, ass-kissing Lit Major who had the audacity to address him by his first name.

I also think that, in this age of rampant Nanny-Statism, that the short story Harrison Bergeron is a must-read.

Kein Haar
14th April 09, 12:35 PM
That's because you're a fucking dumbass who didn't understand the book one bit. I bet you're the kind of guy who couldn't figure out if it was a war book, a sci-fi book, or some sort of detective novel, so you just got pissed and claimed it's because the book sucks. amirite?

Shawarma is a dumb-ass.

You are right about that, Poops.

Shawarma
14th April 09, 12:39 PM
Indeed he is. He's just incorrect about Vonnegut being the best thing since sliced bread.

Or you would perhaps argue otherwise?

WarPhalange
14th April 09, 12:53 PM
I never said best thing since sliced bread. I'd compare him to Frank Zappa.

Zendetta
14th April 09, 12:58 PM
I'd compare him to Frank Zappa.

That's a brilliant comparison, except for the the fact that Zappa actually is greater than sliced bread.

WarPhalange
14th April 09, 01:28 PM
No, I meant because they both have funny sounding last names.

Zendetta
14th April 09, 01:42 PM
lol, even better.

Also, unsliced bread > sliced bread.

Sirc
14th April 09, 02:00 PM
Maybe. I just didn't feel that the writing was as brilliant as people claim it is and that I've seen far better descriptions of the horrors at war elsewhere. I also feel that authors inserting themselves into stories should be banned by law, even if KVs appearance was pretty much a oneliner. KV wrote, IIRC, in the foreword that the book was going to be a jumbled mess. I agree with him.

The section on the bombing of Dresden was pretty good, and is in fact the only reason I remember the book. I understand that KV took some significant flak for telling the truth about it which deserves credit.

Vonnegut never touched me. I can't even remember the title of the second book of his I read, think it was about a corrupt politician getting jailed or something, but it was eminently forgettable.

Here is the point of the book.
You