PDA

View Full Version : Zoo animals treated cruely?

FriendlyFire
20th March 09, 04:23 PM
Not article for you, however some key quotes culled from a discussion in bullshido. Guy had to wrestle a tiger that was lose.

I can do better than that....

This is at the end where I pinned him and his owner is putting the lease back on. You can't have him "loose" when the paying people are on the fairgrounds. The Tiger was a "wrestling Tiger" and people would pay to watch people wrestle with him. He was on a leash and muzzle for that... lucky me. I found if I put my leg far in his mouth he couldn't close it, and I could then use his head to turn and pin him.

Sorry, I do not wish to derail this thread, but I just have to ask/comment, because some of the comments made here are just too bewildering (I reckon you got into that situation by accident?):

Are such things still legal in the US? Plucking a tigers claws and then abuse the poor crippled creature for "wrestling" matches?

Where I live you can actually go to jail for organizing such events or partaking in them. And rightfully so I say.

No matter if its a bear or a tiger or whatever else, fighting caged and/or chained animals is the crown of stupidity and lameness. Even more so if those animals have been crippled and robbed of their primary weapons. Fighting against a bear without claws (which is the only way an unarmed human ever could fight one) is just as manly as kicking children in wheelchairs.

You're silly.

Animals in captivity (typically) enjoy a great life, eating prime cuts of meat, and essentially lazing about. From what i understand, they enjoy playing, and thats what they view these 'rasslin matches as. Playing.

Taking away its claws is smart, why? Because tigers and bears use their claws when they play with other tigers and bears. Are humans tigers or bears? Nay, fine sir.

Get off your moral high horse, and calmly proceed to the next PETA meeting.
This is where I thought this particular derail of the thread would have ended, but both the next two comments were directed at the previous quote.

What year is it on your calendar? 1743? Somehow you managed to miss both the scientific as well as the cultural development of the last few hundred years.

Well, at least now I know what to think of you and your arguments.

You are trolling, right? You don't actually believe this bullshit, right?

Two seperate people resonded very negatively to what I thought was a very sensible and intelligent post. Sadly that was the end of the conversation. So I feel like the 'PETA' guy was completely in the wrong, what do you guys think?

WarPhalange
20th March 09, 05:17 PM
Bullshido is full of morons, as is this place. It's also a forum for people who like to FIGHT. What did you expect?

I agree with you that it's cruel to do that to animals. Playing and wrestling might be fine, but muzzle + declawing = you're a fucking pussy for bragging about besting a defenseless animal in wrestling. If this was NHB wrestling, where the kitty gets a fair chance? Then sure, go ahead and wrestle it and I won't think it's cruel anymore, because the intent isn't to hurt the animal. Not like you would anyway. :)

HappyOldGuy
20th March 09, 05:45 PM
Defining what is ethical behavior towards things you're allowed to kill and eat is tricky.

I see some guy kicking an animal, and I'm gonna want to do mean things to him. But if he cuts bleeds and guts it, I smile and walk on.

WarPhalange
20th March 09, 06:12 PM
What if he beats the dog to death with a stick so that the meat that he will eat is more tender?

HappyOldGuy
20th March 09, 06:16 PM
What if he beats the dog to death with a stick so that the meat that he will eat is more tender?

I love foie gras and veal.

Although I told fes it was easier to just start with a puppy instead of trying to tenderize a full grown dog.

WarPhalange
20th March 09, 06:32 PM
Of course.

FriendlyFire
20th March 09, 11:06 PM
I agree with you that it's cruel to do that to animals. Playing and wrestling might be fine, but muzzle + declawing = you're a fucking pussy for bragging about besting a defenseless animal in wrestling. If this was NHB wrestling, where the kitty gets a fair chance? Then sure, go ahead and wrestle it and I won't think it's cruel anymore, because the intent isn't to hurt the animal. Not like you would anyway. :)

I was actually saying it is not that cruel, but my statement was ambiguous. Most mammals play with some form of wrestling, so it is probable that the animals enjoy the activity, if you have a dog does it like to wrestle with you? Now you can say de-clawing and muzzles are unfair, but I don't think so. They are the natural weapons of a tiger, but the natural weapons for a human are tools that he can hold. Obviously no one brought in a weapon, just like the tigers weren't clawing anyone. This is to keep any injuries from happening, mostly to the animal. The person might get hurt by the far larger and stronger creature, but the person has little to no chance of doing any damage to the animal.

It is not like the matador's, who use swords to kill a bull after it has already been crippled pre-fight. The wrestling is little more then playing with animals (Which most zoo keepers do anyway) in a safe enviroment while people watch.

WarPhalange
21st March 09, 02:36 AM
Muzzling is uncomfortable and I can't imagine that de-clawing is like a trip to Disney Land for the tiger. Yes, my dog likes to wrestle. It leaves scratches on me sometimes. So what? I decided to go ahead and wrestle him. He didn't jump on me or anything. Same here. Tiger is minding his own god damned business and you try to play with him, even if he doesn't want to, and if that weren't enough, you decide to handicap him so you can have more fun.

No, it's not at all like zoo keepers. If they let random idiots wrestle the tigers, then to them it's a stranger. The zoo keeper doesn't just jump in there and try to DDT one of the fuckers. The animal gets to know the zoo keeper, and even then, the zoo keeper knows how far to push it. If it's just some random guy, he'll want to kimura it and see it writhe in pain.

Also, if you're the guy supporting this and the others were shooting you down, then my "Bullshido is full of morons" was directed towards you, which I find really lulzy.

FriendlyFire
21st March 09, 08:45 AM
Other bullshido people stopped talking about it before I read the thread. Still, the particular incident did not go down like that, I will explain. Apparently a tiger at some type of fair escaped and this guy who works at the fair found him in the morning before people arrived. So he wrestled him and subdued him while the handler got his leash to bring him back. The tiger in this particular incident did not even have a mussle, though it was declawed. I am pretty sure no one ever lets just random people wrestle tigers.

Plus I am pretty sure declawing is not too bad if you know how to do it right, since your removing structure without nerves. The people who declaw tigers probably know how to do it.

WarPhalange
21st March 09, 12:35 PM
Evidence of declawing = no nerves removed, please.

Sure, if it's some guy who works at the zoo and had to wrestle it, that's different. Also, why not just leave the fucker alone and get the tranquilizers first? It's not like he's going to go anywhere.