PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the mood for s'more Troubles?

rsobrien
12th March 09, 12:43 PM
So close to Saint Paddy's day I am surprised there hasn't been a thread about this yet.

Some IRA splinter factions in Northern Ireland (the Continuity and Real IRA) have been getting violent again.

A few days ago they killed some British soldiers picking up pizza.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090308/ap_on_re_af/eu_northern_ireland

Then someone killed an RUC man
http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSTRE52907T20090310

And a courthouse has mysteriously gone up in flames
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090312/wl_uk_afp/britainnirelandunrestfire;_ylt=AnnuGPDmLYNxhc8yE62 uLmZ0bBAF

It looks like most everyone is condeming the action and even most Republican types seem apalled.

I thought everyone was chill after 2005, what happened?

Craigypooh
12th March 09, 01:09 PM
Unfortunately a group of republicans were not happy with the peace deal as it wasn't moving towards a united Ireland quickly enough for their liking. Or possibly they're pyschopaths who just enjoy killing people.

Odacon
12th March 09, 03:00 PM
I was going to post on this when it happened, but I I couldn't bring myself to dignify a bunch of scumbags shooting people to get their balls up and then call it part of an "armed struggle", with a response.

Truculent Sheep
12th March 09, 06:17 PM
This article* nails it pretty much to a tee:

http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php?/site/article/6338/

...Yet what we have witnessed over the past few days is not a re-run of the past, or evidence that the ‘chaos and anarchy’ of the 25-year war between the Provisional IRA and the British state, which ended in 1994, are still ‘lurking just under the surface [of Northern Irish society]’. Rather, we’ve seen the emergence of a Zombie IRA, the ghostly apparition of a dead movement, issuing a fossilised invitation to conflict and executing purposeless attacks that have more in common with contemporary al-Qaeda-style nihilism than with the actions or outlook of the Provisional IRA of the past...

...The Real IRA and the Continuity IRA are zombie movements. Their violence is better seen, not as the latest manifestation of physical-force Irish republicanism, but as an Irish variant of contemporary nihilism, of the rising trend, in Europe, Asia and beyond, for executing violent acts in order to express anger, alienation, bitterness, frustration. That the RIRA or CIRA might present their campaigns as part of the post-1916 struggle for Irish self-determination, against what they describe as the ‘legitimate targets’ of British occupation, including ‘complicit’ pizza delivery boys, makes little difference to the underlying fact: that theirs is an Irish version of the twenty-first-century inchoate violence of ‘fuck you’. After all, small Islamist groups that stab film directors or plant bombs on trains often claim to be acting on behalf of the historic wrongs of Andalusia or the contemporary grievances of Palestinians they have never met; and like them, dissident republicans, although they actually come from the place in which they execute violent acts, seem keen to add a touch of historic gloss and seeming political legitimacy to what is in fact an armed lashing-out...

...Ironically, both the commentators who myopically warn of a ‘return to the past’ and the RIRA itself share something in common: a flagrant failure to see what has changed in Ireland. There is no prospect of a ‘return of the Troubles’ or of people being agitated into taking anti-British action by a couple of random shootings. That is because the national question in Ireland has been suspended. The clash over who should rule Ireland – the Irish people or the British state – has over the past 20 years become exhausted. Sinn Fein and the IRA, for all of Gerry Adams’ posturing yesterday about the ‘huge mistake’ of British secret services spying on suspected republican dissidents, have been politically defeated and have abandoned their goal of a united republican Ireland. This exhaustion of the national question has been successfully copperfastened by the new institutions of the peace process, which have elevated the ‘celebration of cultural diversity’, or what in the past were known as ‘sectarian divisions’, over what are now seen as the grubby, old-fashioned concerns of nationalism and sovereignty. Those who believe the past is ‘lurking under the surface’ in Northern Ireland, or that it can be magicked into re-existence by shooting a couple of soldiers, are clearly deluded about the present, and utterly devoid of any vision for a new politics in the future...

* The article is a bit more-fenian-than-thou in tone, and is also far too charitable towards the old school provos, with their punishment beatings and drug dealing. That said, its main points are valid.

Cullion
12th March 09, 07:45 PM
As far as I can tell the remaining 'hardline' IRA people are basically guys whose whole sense of purpose and prestige in their community was based around being the local 'toughguys', and basically have no interest in calming down and trying to rebuild their lives as peacable men with ordinary jobs.

I'm very glad that there was a very quick show of disapproval from Catholic and Protestant communities. Hopefully these people will be informed on by people who know them and the people brave enough to step forward will be seen as being brave people looking for peace rather than 'grasses'.

Sun Wukong
12th March 09, 07:47 PM
Aww man, I thought this was going to be a s'mores thread. Darn it.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/07/04/images/large/Taste-N_smores0_1731286.jpg

rsobrien
12th March 09, 07:52 PM
I was under the impression that everyone was getting along. It just seems sudden to me. Did anything happen recently? I kinda stopped paying attention to the situation in Ireland after the 2005 disarmament.

I also thought that with the way the Catholic birth rate was going, the 6 counties were going to end up in Republican hands anyway a few decades down the road.

Edit: Sorry to dissapoint anyone expecting S'mores. I only made that the thread title because I was eating them at the time.

Truculent Sheep
12th March 09, 08:25 PM
I was under the impression that everyone was getting along. It just seems sudden to me. Did anything happen recently? I kinda stopped paying attention to the situation in Ireland after the 2005 disarmament.

Everything is going well - Sinn Fein have got their ministerial limos. The DUP is actually being taken seriously. It's been pretty OK until now.

I also thought that with the way the Catholic birth rate was going, the 6 counties were going to end up in Republican hands anyway a few decades down the road.

A bit of a myth there - the RC breeding machines are more products of paranoid Unionist imaginations than anything else. The truth is much more complex:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/2590023.stm

Cullion
13th March 09, 02:19 PM
Did anything happen recently?

I think they were getting frustrated that things were basically working, or at least peaceful. They want to restart a war where the British get to be the bad guys and they get to be the Irish rebel heroes. Instead of just aging petty criminals.

Because gunning down unarmed pizza delivery men on the grounds that they are 'collaborators' is t3h hardcore.

Faggots.

Truculent Sheep
13th March 09, 07:29 PM
I think they were getting frustrated that things were basically working, or at least peaceful. They want to restart a war where the British get to be the bad guys and they get to be the Irish rebel heroes. Instead of just aging petty criminals.

Because gunning down unarmed pizza delivery men on the grounds that they are 'collaborators' is t3h hardcore.

Faggots.

You know you're on dodgy ground when even the UDA and Sinn Fein think you're a wanker.