PDA

View Full Version : Futurists - Hmmm didnt see that coming

kick
10th March 09, 10:34 PM
I just came across this site today.

http://www.futuresfoundation.org.au/

Find a Futurist

Looking for a futurist for an event / program?

As a network of futurists, the Futures Foundation has access to some of the most creative and challenging thinkers of our times.

Whether you are looking for a one-off speaker or ongoing consulting, use this form and we will provide you with candidates that match your brief.

Over the past twelve months we have been invited to:

Provide key note speakers exploring the future of particular industry sectors
Facilitate the development of strategic visions within many local communities around Australia
Assist in developing future scenarios for government departments and instrumentalities
Work with associations of school principals and departments of education in two states to develop visions for the future of education
Nominate guests and experts for various local and national media, and
Participate in internal staff development programs for a number of blue-chip companies.

Then this .................

Futures Foundation Enquiries
Written by Marcus Barber Wednesday, 14 January 2009 Regrettably due to market conditions we advise that on 14th January 2009 we appointed Brisbane based Administrators, Insolvency & Turnaround Solutions to take over control of the foundation.

Spade: The Real Snake
11th March 09, 03:59 PM
I recall, in December of 1999, getting a call at work from our local Sheriff's Department (paraphrase):

"The FUTURISTS have predicted an abnormally high suicide rate for the oncoming New Years Eve due to the Y2K crisis. We have all our staff working and on-shift, have laid in a supply of generators and body bags and need to know what kind of contingency plans you have in place."

Me: "WTF is a "futurist" and who are they?"

Them: "..."

Me: "Again, WTF is a "futurist", what did they do, where did you find this "futurist", what are his/her qualifications and why do you beleive them?"

Them: "...futurists predict...."

Me: -click-

bob
11th March 09, 04:15 PM
I recall, in December of 1999, getting a call at work from our local Sheriff's Department (paraphrase):

"The FUTURISTS have predicted an abnormally high suicide rate for the oncoming New Years Eve due to the Y2K crisis. We have all our staff working and on-shift, have laid in a supply of generators and body bags and need to know what kind of contingency plans you have in place."

Me: "WTF is a "futurist" and who are they?"

Them: "..."

Me: "Again, WTF is a "futurist", what did they do, where did you find this "futurist", what are his/her qualifications and why do you beleive them?"

Them: "...futurists predict...."

Me: -click-

How do spell self-fulfilling prophecy?

Spade: The Real Snake
11th March 09, 04:29 PM
How do spell self-fulfilling prophecy?

By writing yourself a check for $100?

Robot Jesus
12th March 09, 01:38 AM
don't diss all futurists, although the ones in this service are obviously retarded.

example of an accurate futurist.
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/kindle.png

Arhetton
12th March 09, 03:39 AM
The OP made me chuckle.

I think of myself as a bit of a futurist, but then again who isn't?

In a more sensible way, some of the people involved in long term capital investments and high tech products are futurists too - microsoft, intel, cisco etc make choices on what they think will work in the marketplace or be worth exploring technologically, and thats a kind of futurism.

'futurists' are more like talking heads on the tv about politics or economics - not actually making the important decisions or talking from a position of authority, more a speculative and analytical way of looking at the world. future bloggers or something.

I think ray kurzweil's brand of futurism is interesting - looking for a general trend, say the increase in computer power vs purchasing price - versus actually trying to predict the individual technological trends (Intel or AMD having more of the market share, semiconductor chips being the medium etc). I don't believe in his concept of the singularity, but I do think that in the near term that people will have electronic implants and genetic engineering will take off in this century. I've also been thinking a lot about aubrey de-grays concept of longevity escape velocity (how human immortality will occur).

For instance something I've thought about is whats a good time to have kids. If I have kids in say, then next ten years (<2019), they will grow up in a pretty complex world, and will probably have been screened for basic genetic diseases and susceptabilities etc. But what if I waited another 5 -10 years (<2029) and could select individual traits for my children? If I had the kids early, they would be at a disadvantage to their later peers etc.

By having my kids later, thats a sort of 'time machine' into the future for them too - they will have a higher quality of life because they will be younger in a more technologically advanced time, and closer to breakthroughs that will allow them to live longer lives etc.

I think shit like that is really interesting, and love thinking about it.

Of course there are a lot of technologies that have been predicted that have never emerged - and a lot of upsets too.

Phrost
12th March 09, 02:03 PM
don't diss all futurists, although the ones in this service are obviously retarded.

example of an accurate futurist.
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/kindle.png
This comic just sold the nerd in me, on buying a Kindle. I wonder if they make covers for them with "DON'T PANIC" printed on the outside.

socratic
13th March 09, 06:30 PM
Didn't the original futurist movement get killed by WW1?

new2bjj
14th March 09, 01:54 PM
As I recall, Winston Churchill was at one time a futurist. I can't remember his quote, but I recall it was something pithey.

MrGalt
18th March 09, 05:47 AM
This comic just sold the nerd in me, on buying a Kindle. I wonder if they make covers for them with "DON'T PANIC" printed on the outside.

Wow, e-ink with a .5 second refresh rate and a black and white screen? I thought I couldn't imagine anything worse than surfing the net with my DS, but I was wrong.

If you want to read books and not semi-surf the net get the Sony. It's a hundred bucks cheaper, it's not white, and half of it isn't occupied by a thumb keyboard you rarely use.