PDA

View Full Version : How docook Chinese roast duck?

Shawarma
6th March 09, 12:20 PM
I've been on a Duck Rush recently, gobbling down horrible amounts of what is termed Chinese Roast Duck from my nearby Chinese takeaway. Wanting to replicate this delicious dish, I then rushed out and bought a whole duck breast. Only now has it dawned on me that I've no fucking clue how to cook Chinese roast duck. Anyone know the dish I'm talking about? It's crispy reddish-brown and tastes a bit sour-sweet. How do cook it?

Please note that I'm not talking about Peking duck, which is fucking nasty and should be avoided.

HappyOldGuy
6th March 09, 12:30 PM
How big is your oven? It's supposed to be cooked hanging.

Zendetta
6th March 09, 12:43 PM
Duck is VERY easy to fuck up. Cook it too long and its leather.

Robot Jesus
6th March 09, 01:02 PM
if the skin is really crispy you need a bicycle pump to replicate it.

Equipoise
6th March 09, 01:04 PM
Pfft. Cook it like any other bird, there are just different methods you can use to cook it. If you use wet heat, you'll find it easier to cook. If you want to wok or deep fry it, it's a little more difficult and if you "roast" it. Just make sure to keep the duck covered in your marinade. This will help to seal it as the outside will crust over and keep the inside from drying out. If you like it unadulterated, you can use a high smoke point oil and keep it oiled. This essentially sears the outside making that crispy skin everybody likes and keeps the inside wet.

Might I suggest some peach buns with your duck?

RJ- I think using an air compressor or bicycle pump to inflate the skin is a bit beyond his expertise. Plus it's a pain in the ass. You've been watching the old Iron Chef I see.

HappyOldGuy
6th March 09, 01:14 PM
There are tons of tasty duck recipes out there, and I've got a few myself, but he is looking for a specific type that really can't be done at home, and you can't even really fake it unless you have a smoker.

Equipoise
6th March 09, 01:23 PM
You can't levy that until we know what he's referring to. The term "roasted" has a wide variety of meanings from different restaurants. There are lots of ways to prepare a duck that's restaurant quality assuming he doesn't live in a dorm room.

HappyOldGuy
6th March 09, 01:27 PM
I am 99% sure he is talking about the red roasted delicious things that hang in the window of every chinese market.

Edit: This...
http://www.visitvineyards.com/phpThumb/phpThumb.php?w=300&h=300&src=/Image/ALL/ALL/FOOD/080817-ALL-ALL-ER-china_cantonese_roast_duck_ragg.jpg

Kiko
6th March 09, 01:47 PM
Ah, Trebek, What is Peking Duck?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=peking+duck&fnSearchType=site

Cullion
6th March 09, 02:19 PM
Are we talking about the kind that's usually got extremely crispy skin and is served shredded up with sliced spring onions, cucumber, pancakes and hoi sin sauce ?

taijiamn
6th March 09, 03:54 PM
Here's my recipe for Crispy skin duck

Ryb the duck with about 1/3 cup of vodka, leave for 4 hours, making sure the vodka soaks in everywhere

Mix 3 cups water, 3 tablespoons of honey and rub over ther duck.

I set it on a dehydrator for about 2 hours so the skin dries out, but you can also put it in the refridgerator overnight.

Heat oven to 400, put duck on baking pant and roast till skin is golden, then reduce to 350 and roast 1 more hour.

Sorry I don't have any pics, but the last time I made it was Feb 14. The wife loves it.

Robot Jesus
6th March 09, 04:22 PM
suggest useing aromatic vegtables on the bottom of pan to protect the duck fat from burning and keep the duck crispy.

I would also use 200 instead of 350 and cook for longer

Sun Wukong
6th March 09, 04:41 PM
Please note that I'm not talking about Peking duck, which is fucking nasty and should be avoided.

Honestly, I doubt you've ever had real Bejing Duck before just from reading that sentence.

Peking Duck kicks major ass. That up there is like saying chocolate tastes like shit.

Cullion
6th March 09, 04:43 PM
He's probably had it and hated it. Shawarma doesn't like much, remember?

Sun Wukong
6th March 09, 04:45 PM
http://www.jenius.com.au/images/sydneyBeijingRestaurant_pekingDuck01.jpg

Seriously, how the fuck is this supposed to be nasty?

Cullion
6th March 09, 04:47 PM
Try and think back to the last time Shawarma talked about something he really enjoyed.

Kiko
6th March 09, 05:09 PM
He enjoys complaining about stuff.

Shawarma
6th March 09, 06:10 PM
No I don't. Complaining sucks and can die.

I had Peking duck only twice or so and had trouble downing it on both occasions. Don't particularily care for pancakes, and the gravy is a bit too rich for my taste. Could very well just have been bad Peking duck though, as both times were in greasy Chinese diners in Europe.

Robot Jesus
6th March 09, 08:12 PM
can anyone think of something Chinese to do with the fond and the fat. the Idea of trying to make it into a Chinese gravy makes my head hurt a little.

Neildo
7th March 09, 06:03 AM
duck meat can be too rich for some people. i love it, and have no problem letting chinese butchers do the work for me.

Kiko
7th March 09, 06:55 AM
Duck is nummy. You just have to poke holes in it, cook it slowly enough for the fat to drip out while it roasts. Better to make a sauce from something that'll offset the richness, like citrus or garlic/ginger.

Equipoise
7th March 09, 10:26 AM
suggest useing aromatic vegtables on the bottom of pan to protect the duck fat from burning and keep the duck crispy.

I would also use 200 instead of 350 and cook for longer

The only thing those vegetables are going to do is burn first rather than prevent the duck skin from burning or the fat from burning.

Wounded Ronin
7th March 09, 10:46 AM
I've been reading this title as "how do decock Chinese roast duck". I keep imagining someone pushing one of the wings on the duck forward and having the duck's ass click up and ahead.

socratic
14th March 09, 08:21 AM
Honestly, I doubt you've ever had real Bejing Duck before just from reading that sentence.

Peking Duck kicks major ass. That up there is like saying chocolate tastes like shit.

Is it a faux pas to call it 'Shanghai Duck'?

The over-abundance of bones tends to irk me with proper Chinese cuisine (goddamn, I thought I had good Chinese food until I went to China...) but otherwise it's tasty stuff.

Duck kicks insane amounts of ass. It's deliciousness is outrageous, son.