PDA

View Full Version : anime for n00bs?

ronaldk
3rd March 09, 11:14 PM
yeah. never been into this stuff much. given i have a bunch of anime geek friends, they forced me to watch AfroSamurai, and that shit was off the chain.

then i watched Death Note, which i thoroughly enjoyed.

currently on ep 3 of Tenjou Tenge. kinda really digging it.

any recommendations that i should check out? generally not too fond of space/mechs/tentacle-rape. also, i'd like some anime where they fight, but all this ki and fireball nonsense is left away. any good ones where the smackdown gets laid on motherfuckers using fists and feet?

let your recommendations fly!

thanks.

WarPhalange
3rd March 09, 11:20 PM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2005/20050411h.jpg

Steve
3rd March 09, 11:24 PM
In no particular order: Cowboy BeBop, Samurai Champloo, Bleach (skip the bounto filler), Naruto (lots of filler too but I've heard it's awesome otherwise), Hajime No Ippo (the original series, then the movies, then the new series that just started), FLCL, and Great Teacher Onizuka.

I'm not even a huge anime nerd, but I loved all of those.

Aphid Jones
3rd March 09, 11:31 PM
PSA: Read a fucking book.

Steve
3rd March 09, 11:40 PM
PSA: Read a fucking book.

Ah, a manga fan. See this is the type of extreme nerdiness that I will never reach.

WarPhalange
4th March 09, 12:02 AM
Yeah, Steve, you'll just have to resign to talking to girls.

Steve
4th March 09, 12:02 AM
I know. :(

*turns in pocket protector*

Robot Jesus
4th March 09, 12:03 AM
shoot fighter tekken is also good,

Aphid Jones
4th March 09, 01:47 AM
Ah, a manga fan. See this is the type of extreme nerdiness that I will never reach.
Never touch the stuff, Stevie boy.

Do you bite your thumb at me, sir?

Steve
4th March 09, 02:09 AM
Nah, I'm a lover not a hater.

EuropIan
4th March 09, 05:02 AM
Yakitate JaPAN!!

They fight with baking.

Steve
4th March 09, 05:06 AM
^Win.

EuropIan
4th March 09, 05:11 AM
"You are already fermented...."

YudfK8X-A-M

Dagon Akujin
4th March 09, 10:05 AM
http://www.coucoucircus.org/ost/images-ost/mononoke1.jpg

And if you want a great series, with some really effed up thoughtfull stuff, try this one. It's the only "mech" anime I like, and it's the only anime that's ever made me cry (You are a sick, pathetic boy, Shinji!).

http://amvnews.ru/images/anime/001/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-Cover-10.jpg

EuropIan
4th March 09, 11:20 AM
No.
Fuck Shinji, fuck Rei and fuck Asuka. they suck. Robot battles are awesome though

Watch anything made by Miyasaki he is a genius (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving castle, My Neighbor Totoro)

As for anime that makes you cry: Grave of the Fireflies.

Marrt
4th March 09, 12:10 PM
Akira

Ghost in the Shell

maybe more cyber than you were looking for, but landmark.

Steve
4th March 09, 12:22 PM
FUCK, I forgot Ghost in the Shell. The series though, the movies suck.

Marrt
4th March 09, 12:43 PM
FUCK, I forgot Ghost in the Shell. The series though, the movies suck.

Disagree on the first movie - but after that... snawnnnn!

And yes, series awesome, but again, first better than the follow-ons

Steve
4th March 09, 01:01 PM
Oh yeah, speaking of movies: Ninja Scroll!!

fbat
1st May 09, 11:18 AM
The first anime I can remember seeing was Vampire Hunter D , Akira, and Battle Angel Alita. All three are pretty good for newbies.

Some better, deeper stuff would be the aforementioned Cowboy Bebop, Berserk (highly recommended), Gantz (kind of extreme), Beck (music/drama), Monster, etc.

If you want fun and easy to watch, my personal guilty pleasure is Prince of Tennis... the first season was great for the music alone.

Dagon Akujin
1st May 09, 12:17 PM
You can thank Yoshitaka Amano for Vampire Hunter D. And for Final Fantasy. And for some really cool other stuff:

http://www.gothic.hu/images/alkotas/Yoshitaka_Amano/amano03.jpg
http://www.artwallpapers.net/fantasy_art/yoshitaka_amano02/04/yoshitaka_amano02_04_800.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/thumb/e/e8/Ff6_amano_setzer.png/150px-Ff6_amano_setzer.png
http://www.universohq.com/quadrinhos/images/ElektraAmano.jpg

syberia
1st May 09, 11:31 PM
then i watched Death Note, which i thoroughly enjoyed.
Death note got me hooked on anime.

Now i'm a total nerd.

Black Lagoon, Hellsing and Berserk are all really worth checking out.

Also: Soul Eater, as well, its awesome. Funny, decent action and the characters are really good. Not to mention the art and animation.

As for english animation: Avatar, last airbender. I cannot tell you how great it is. and i'll confess, Ben 10 is good for some fun.

Edit, oh i forgot: Fullmetal alchemist, Fullmetal panic (both seasons and the spin off), and Devil May Cry- for fun.

Naruto (lots of filler too but I've heard it's awesome otherwise)
Yes and no. Its good if you can sit down and watch a few eps at a time. While its pacing is a bit better than DBZ, it still took forever to get through things IMO. Way to much filler and some of the characters are just fucking annoying, while many really good ones are backshelved.

Some fun action and time wasting though. Can be really funny.

One Piece is better.

Oh yeah, speaking of movies: Ninja Scroll!!
Do not watch the 'sequal'. Ever. Just dont do it.

Steve
2nd May 09, 06:10 AM
DON'T EVER WATCH BLEACH. IT WILL EAT YOUR SOUL AND MAKE YOU RIP YOUR EYES OUT DURING THE FILLER.

Otherwise it's pretty cool.

Syb: Watch this (http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50915), the link is about the new anime that is going on now, but there are 80+ episodes of the original that you have to go through first (plus 2 movies).

syberia
2nd May 09, 06:59 AM
DON'T EVER WATCH BLEACH. IT WILL EAT YOUR SOUL AND MAKE YOU RIP YOUR EYES OUT DURING THE FILLER.

I love bleach tho! Whats not to love? Its about a whole shitload of hot guys with awesome powers and big breasted women.

I read the manga pretty religiously, the anime i love if i can skip the boring bits. Bount and other filler arcs suck a fair bit, true, but it gets fun in the hueco mundo arc.

Also, rukia is an idiot and need to die.

Hajime no Ippo, a series i've never got around to. I'll check it out in the future if i dont break the internet trying to download Baccano.

socratic
2nd May 09, 09:46 AM
If we're including Avatar as anime then I posit The Boondocks.

And disagree on second Ghost movie. I really enjoyed it, though I guess having less eye-candy may be viewed as a detraction. They make up for it with more food-for-thought and way more blasting suckas.

Rewatched Mononoke recently, really good stuff. I was forgetting how graphic (and awesome) the fight scenes are; when Ashitaka first kills those samurai it's because they've just spent the last 2 on-screen minutes killing civilians. And, in self defense. They seriously needed to lose their heads.

RickTheCritic
2nd May 09, 01:23 PM

The Boondocks

Mononoke

Avatar is truly a breath of fresh air, no ultra gore no borderline hentai material. I love that this is a kids show but its mythology is so good that it transcends age.
What really annoys me is the sometimes tooo childlike dialogue and a few horrible filler episodes ( the Beach) . You also have to suspend belief that tweens can fight and beat people twice their age. Case in point (3:16-6:15)
pG65hCh6YN4

Boondocks is the opposite and I love the fuck out of that show. Return of Stink Meaner is wrath of Khan level awesome.

78XvRdPln88

Princess Mononoke Looks better then most of our current animes and has a great storyline
pkWWWKKA8jY

Robot Jesus
2nd May 09, 04:25 PM
I'm contractually obliged to plug the Highlander anime, but it's only ok.

not enough people are mentioning FLCL, it makes little sense until it makes perfect sense.

Avatar is the only time I've seen a fascism being depicted without riffing off the Nazis. also wizzards are way cooler when they do kung fu.

Steve
2nd May 09, 04:25 PM
Also, get GTO.

Trust me, it rocks.

Steve
2nd May 09, 04:26 PM
FLCL is in it's own ballpark, plus for mentioning it tho.

syberia
2nd May 09, 08:04 PM
Princess Mononoke Looks better then most of our current animes and has a great storyline

Its a fantastic film. Though i prefer to watch things in the original language the dub is pretty good, too. I would love to buy the whole collection.

Steamboy is another great anime movie, too. I really enjoyed it. Its beautiful. Not as good as some, but worth watching.

FCLC is another series i tried to watch and failed. Its pretty ridiculous, but i may watch the whole thing one day. It was enjoyable enough, just... yeah. Odd.

Scrapper
2nd May 09, 08:18 PM
Check out Ergo Proxy. You will be confused until the 6th or 7th episode. By the end you will actually have to vacuum up bits of your mind because it has been completely blown.

Seriously, it was a chore at first, but mind-blowingly awesome by the end. Great stuff.

Full Metal Panic (especially fumoffu) are some of the funniest shit ever.

Vampire hunter D is a classic and the yardstick by which I measure all anime.

If yo udon't love Black Lagoon, you do not belong here.

socratic
2nd May 09, 08:44 PM
Steamboy is another great anime movie, too. I really enjoyed it. Its beautiful. Not as good as some, but worth watching.

Mamoru Oshii made it (same guy who did Akira). I'm yet to see something of his that's bad.

Excel Saga I've always enjoyed. It's randomness is difficult to exceed and yet it tends to have really good plot and hilarious characterisation. It also takes a dig at everything from Hotoku no Ken to shoujou anime.

RickTheCritic
2nd May 09, 11:39 PM
Its a fantastic film. Though i prefer to watch things in the original language the dub is pretty good, too. I would love to buy the whole collection.

Its defiantly one of the best films I have ever watched

Also British Accent + Anime = win

EuropIan
6th May 09, 12:24 PM
Also, get GTO.

Trust me, it rocks.
this

Robot Jesus
6th May 09, 12:45 PM
rune soldier is mediocre but it's free to download and worth a watch if you have time to kill.

excel saga has been mentioned. It's basically the Japanese family guy with constant non sequiter cultural references, but a non Japanese person would never catch any of them so it become the cinematic equivalent of mainlineing chaos.

socratic
11th May 09, 08:22 AM
rune soldier is mediocre but it's free to download and worth a watch if you have time to kill.

excel saga has been mentioned. It's basically the Japanese family guy with constant non sequiter cultural references, but a non Japanese person would never catch any of them so it become the cinematic equivalent of mainlineing chaos.

Put on English subtitles on the DVD and it explains it all :D

Any anime where the director himself is a character (with an AFRO) is a good anime.