PDA

View Full Version : F*ck you, McDonald's: Price Hike for Poorer Communities

Steve
3rd March 09, 10:56 PM
Like I really needed another reason not to eat at McDonald's:

McDonald's to charge more in poorer suburbs
McDONALD'S is lifting prices in poorer suburbs where it believes consumers are more likely to accept higher charges without complaint.

Costs were previously based on restaurant overheads and ingredient prices.

But the multi-national fast-food chain is using socio-economic factors to determine charges under a new "demand-based pricing" scheme.

Corporate documents obtained by The Courier-Mail show McDonald's Australia has identified an "opportunity to introduce more aggressive price increases" in 73 Queensland outlets.

Some of the stores include Logan Central, Loganholme, Arana Hills, Gympie, Ipswich City, Labrador, Morayfield and Inala Plaza.

McDonald's, which yesterday confirmed the pricing strategy, says the price "refinement takes into consideration individual factors that relate to each store ... ".

A McDonald's franchisee, who asked to remain anonymous, said the biggest price rises were concentrated in low-income areas.

"In general, the poorer suburbs will pay more," the franchisee said.

The document says the system's objective is for individual stores "to maximise the potential for a price rise" while minimising the risk consumers will go elsewhere or choose a cheaper meal. The biggest price rise will be for children's Happy Meals, which will increase by 16.5 per cent from $4.25 to $4.95, at all locations.

Other items will rise in two stages by between 1.8 per cent and 3.3 per cent, depending on the location of the restaurant.

The first stage has already been implemented, while the second stage will occur in May.

McDonald's corporate communications manager Bronwyn Stubbs said the company developed prices according to "established research techniques" and these were recommended for company-owned restaurants. The most recent "refinement", which considered price factors relating to each store, was to align with the company's "global practice".

Choice spokesman Christopher Zinn said he was surprised McDonald's would raise prices during tough times.

Mr Zinn said families looking for cheap meals should consider alternatives to fast food.

----------------------------------

Link. (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,27574,25107277-3102,00.html)

Yeah, this is only happening in Australia but I'm boycotting for their sake state side. Greedy douchebags.

Yiktin Voxbane
4th March 09, 12:20 AM
is happening in all states down here actually, not just Qld .

boondock lee
4th March 09, 12:25 AM
maybe they will eat somewhere better.

Domite
4th March 09, 12:52 AM
Seriously. Hard to muster up much give-a-fuck or people who eat that crap.

OZZ
4th March 09, 01:02 AM
I'm ashamed to admit that I grab a cheeseburger there once a week or so if my wife has the car because there's a Mcd's right dowtown where I change buses after work.
I hate them, but a quick, $1.39 double cheeseburger fills my gut for an hour or so and sustains me until I get real food.
I'm a victim..aren't I?
Somehow or other it has to be the corporate world's fault...

Halfrican
4th March 09, 01:57 AM
McDonald's should at least be more expensive than buying groceries and cooking your own food, but it isn't. That is why poor people are always fat, even though they have less money for food.

Kein Haar
4th March 09, 02:02 AM
?

They are encouraging poor people to buy healthy food and prepare it themselves.

It's more expensive if you're a moron, but we all know that poor people are all the smartest and least impulsive. It's 99% circumstances.

Halfrican
4th March 09, 02:16 AM
Unless you like balogna and white bread and/or spaghetti, you can't beat the dollar menu.

I can get completely stuffed for $3 with 2 double cheeseburgers and a small fry.

Kein Haar
4th March 09, 02:38 AM
I can get stuffed for multiple days with chicken backs, water, vegetables, maybe some barley.

But chicken soup actually takes a couple hours, and the time of poor people is so valuable and limited.

jubei33
4th March 09, 03:12 AM
yeah, its their crappy food, they can charge what they want for it. When people find it too expensive and stop eating it, they'll ship off with the discounts.

maybe a whole bunch of poorer aussies should go on a hunger strike?

nihilist
4th March 09, 03:21 AM
There's a mirror in the basement of every McDonald's where you can view the source of it's evil power.

Cullion
4th March 09, 03:23 AM
I'm awarding this thread to Keinhaar. He has the complete and uncomfortable truth in his pocket.

Yiktin Voxbane
4th March 09, 06:46 AM
There's a mirror in the basement of every McDonald's where you can view the source of it's evil power.

Nah ..... general populace cannae cope with copious amounts of self-realization .

Made me chuckle though .

Kein Haar
4th March 09, 09:41 AM
To give McDonalds credit, they did vastly improve animal welfare in slaughterhouses.

Cullion
4th March 09, 09:52 AM
I ate at McDonalds about 3 weeks ago. I was just so desperately hungry and I only had 3 in my pocket so I got two cheeseburgers and a small portion of fries.

I hope my daughter never finds out.

Spade: The Real Snake
4th March 09, 10:14 AM
this just in:

poor people promise to quit stealing countless packets of condiments, straws, napkins and toilet paper from McDonald's for home usage if Ronald promises to not jack up the price of the McGriddler.

nihilist
4th March 09, 10:53 AM
Just how much money does that fucking clown need?

4th March 09, 11:57 AM
More then Jack, that little red-haired girl and 'the King'

Sun Wukong
4th March 09, 01:12 PM
I think everyone should boycott MacDonalds on the principle of the matter of culinary evil. Their food is fucking awful.

Sun Wukong
4th March 09, 01:13 PM
I too will boycott MacBowels.

MrBadGuy
4th March 09, 01:26 PM
It's about damn time the poor started doing their share.

I was going to say pulling their own weight, but this is McDonaldians we're talking about.

WarPhalange
4th March 09, 01:41 PM
Breaking news: Rich people want poor people to give them money.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th March 09, 01:59 PM
Really though, this shit is nothing new. It's pretty common for stores to carry different items and charge Jew-ier prices for them, or both, in lower income neighborhoods with the belief that they have to do it to offset all the shoplifting. It's doubly true in stores that carry things particular to different socioeconomic backgrounds; the same chain of barber shops might carry Shampoo de Yup-pe in suburban white neighborhoods while stocking 50cent's Grease fo yo Mane in nigger ghettos.

Kiko
4th March 09, 02:03 PM
IF I must grab a fish sandwich, I'll go to Wendy's. Their ad appeals to my intelligence instead of McD's stupid talking fish drivel.

Actually, no, I'll go to Nathan's where they serve Arthur Treacher's.

Or I'll just make something at home...

If they were raising prices of things like milk, bread or some other real basic food, this would be horrible. But it's McCrap, so who cares?

WarPhalange
4th March 09, 02:08 PM
The idea behind it is what's wrong. And it's kind of hard to shoplift a hamburger. Unless you're the Hamburgler.

WarPhalange
4th March 09, 02:09 PM
Robble robble.

Cullion
4th March 09, 02:11 PM
The idea behind it is what's wrong.

Why? Adjusting your pricing to take stupidity into account? totally fair business practice.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th March 09, 02:20 PM
IF I must grab a fish sandwich, I'll go to Wendy's. Their ad appeals to my intelligence instead of McD's stupid talking fish drivel.

Actually, no, I'll go to Nathan's where they serve Arthur Treacher's.

Or I'll just make something at home...

If they were raising prices of things like milk, bread or some other real basic food, this would be horrible. But it's McCrap, so who cares?

Wendy's was alright but they turned to ass about three or four years ago. These days I prefer to skip that shit entirely and get my burgers from In-n-Out or from this bitchin BBQ near my house. The only major chain I visit anymore is Jack and that's only when every other place is closed.

WarPhalange
4th March 09, 02:24 PM
Why? Adjusting your pricing to take stupidity into account? totally fair business practice.

Fair business practice =/= right.

Sometimes I forget that you're not DAYoung, but only pretend to be. :)

It's an arbitrary distinction between jacking up prices for "stupid" (i.e. poor) people and say muscling your competition out of business or making an agreement with your competitors as to what the prices of your goods will be. It's still supply and demand, right?

Kiko
4th March 09, 02:27 PM
Wendy's was alright but they turned to ass about three or four years ago. These days I prefer to skip that shit entirely and get my burgers from In-n-Out or from this bitchin BBQ near my house. The only major chain I visit anymore is Jack and that's only when every other place is closed.

Burgers? If it's not a diner or somewhere that isn't making them fast, I'll make 'em myself. I like my burgers rare, so that's the only way I get 'em right.

Sun Wukong
4th March 09, 02:27 PM

I must agree, unfortunately, it's the product that is flawed; not the business model.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th March 09, 02:28 PM
Charging poor people more is fucked up, but I suppose it's better to have a store that can pay its own bills than no store at all. The ideal solution would be not having to cover a small pecentage of some faggot's multi-million dollar income every time I buy a product from a major brand.

4th March 09, 02:30 PM

It's an arbitrary distinction between jacking up prices for "stupid" (i.e. poor) people and say muscling your competition out of business or making an agreement with your competitors as to what the prices of your goods will be. It's still supply and demand, right?

It is the same reason you will pay more for milk at a Circle K or more for a "Forty Dawg" at the corner liquor store then you will at Wal-Mart.

Cheap Happy Meals off the brow-sweat and broken back labor of the poor common man.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th March 09, 02:32 PM
Burgers? If it's not a diner or somewhere that isn't making them fast, I'll make 'em myself. I like my burgers rare, so that's the only way I get 'em right.

In-n-Out and the BBQ place both use very good ingredients and have very talented workers making very good burgers. I wouldn't gain anything by making my own burgers except saving a little bit of money per unit and getting to brag to strangers on the internet because I can turn on a grill and watch a patty cook for a few minutes.

Kiko
4th March 09, 02:43 PM
Fair enough. I rarely cook just for myself, though. Grill or pan, homemade burgers are the choice in this house.

We also don't have this.. In/out thing you West Coasters keep talking about. It's cool, though.

Sun Wukong
4th March 09, 02:45 PM
I'm just disappointed that nobody cooks onions into their patties anymore in commercial chains. if they do, I sure as hell can't taste them.

4th March 09, 02:50 PM
I'm just disappointed that nobody cooks onions into their patties anymore in commercial chains. if they do, I sure as hell can't taste them.

White Castle.

4th March 09, 02:50 PM
And In and Out Burger gives tours to schools.

I kid you not.

Sun Wukong
4th March 09, 02:51 PM
I know, but I haven't seen a white castle in nearly a decade.

WarPhalange
4th March 09, 02:55 PM
Cheap Happy Meals off the brow-sweat and broken back labor of the poor common man.
The poor common man doesn't see a dime more for his Happy Meal sweat after this price hike than he did before. This has nothing to do with benefitting the poor common man.

Sun Wukong
4th March 09, 02:58 PM
The poor common man shouldn't be eating at McDonalds.

Sun Wukong
4th March 09, 02:59 PM
he should invest in brown bags and inexpensive food stuff materials.

Kiko
4th March 09, 02:59 PM
You can buy frozen murder burgers, Sun Wukong. They taste pretty close to how they used to at 3am on the way home from college bars....

Sun Wukong
4th March 09, 03:00 PM
If I could sell a product that only stupid and desperate people would buy, I would do it in a second.

Selling a product that only the ultra wealthy will buy, is for people who are already extremely wealthy or extremely short sighted.

Kiko
4th March 09, 03:01 PM
Lottery tickets?

4th March 09, 03:09 PM
The poor common man doesn't see a dime more for his Happy Meal sweat after this price hike than he did before. This has nothing to do with benefitting the poor common man.

Sure it does.

The poor common man pays more for his Happy Meal so I don't have to.

Cullion
4th March 09, 03:24 PM

It depends how. Do you think poor people somehow deserve not to pay more for their junk food ?

WarPhalange
4th March 09, 03:41 PM
There is no preferred "right" or "wrong". Just like with monopolies or price gouging. I'm just saying it's a dick move to make the people with little money pay more for the same product.

Aaranar
4th March 09, 03:48 PM
If I could sell a product that only stupid and desperate people would buy, I would do it in a second.

Selling a product that only the ultra wealthy will buy, is for people who are already extremely wealthy or extremely short sighted.

You missed the boat then. They've been selling religion for centuries.

Cullion
4th March 09, 04:52 PM
There is no preferred "right" or "wrong". Just like with monopolies or price gouging. I'm just saying it's a dick move to make the people with little money pay more for the same product.

They aren't operating a charity. If they were operating out of a sense of paternal responsibility to the poor they'd be trying to sell them healthy food.

Sun Wukong
4th March 09, 04:53 PM
Lottery tickets?

God, if i could I would. Lottery tickets are the ultimate money making scheme.

Sun Wukong
4th March 09, 04:54 PM
You missed the boat then. They've been selling religion for centuries.

That's the only place I don't think I could go. That's just dirty.

WarPhalange
4th March 09, 10:28 PM
They aren't operating a charity. If they were operating out of a sense of paternal responsibility to the poor they'd be trying to sell them healthy food.

You still don't understand what I am saying. It's a dick move, period. You're saying it doesn't matter, it's business. And I am saying yeah, so is a monopoly or price gouging, except that those are illegal. If they weren't, they'd all be on the same footing, morally.

jubei33
5th March 09, 05:23 AM
How much should people pay for it? What price should we force them to set for McD's food? Perhaps we could nationalize them (http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/03/04/venezuela.cargill/index.html), then fix the prices, make the words 'made in america" famous again.

I don't agree with monopoly, either. There'd be no triumvirate of tex mex, king and general chicken. Fast food is king in america, those places make money hand over fist if they're decently managed. mickeyDs is only guilty of being successful.

5th March 09, 07:57 AM
Someone needs to bring this up to Obama at his next "Town Hall"

Cullion
5th March 09, 02:22 PM
You still don't understand what I am saying. It's a dick move, period. You're saying it doesn't matter, it's business.

I'm saying that I don't care because these poor fuckers shouldn't be eating at McDonald's in the first place. You might be surprised how many things are much more expensive for the poor. Junk food comes at the bottom of my list of concerns. It's not a necessity.

I hope they double the price and force a few people to learn how to cook.

HappyOldGuy
5th March 09, 03:49 PM
I'm saying that I don't care because these poor fuckers shouldn't be eating at McDonald's in the first place. You might be surprised how many things are much more expensive for the poor. Junk food comes at the bottom of my list of concerns. It's not a necessity.

I hope they double the price and force a few people to learn how to cook.
But they won't. They will still be the cheapest meal available, just by less. That is why they are targetting the poor for this. The middle class have more options.

Ethically, it is a dick move, but it's the sort of dick move that is counter productive to try and enforce.

elipson
5th March 09, 03:50 PM
I'm with Cullion on this one. It's nothing like a monopoly because people can go eat at any other burger restaurant. Or not. They can go to the grocery store. They have no reason to buy this crap other than the fact they want to. It's not even addictive like smoking.

This is one of those rare circumstances where doing the financially smart and yet morally douche baggery thing of exploiting the poor because they are stupid will actually serve to benefit society.

HappyOldGuy
5th March 09, 03:53 PM
will actually serve to benefit society.

How?

elipson
5th March 09, 04:25 PM
By inducing fat people to stop buying such shitty food, or at least to buy less of it, and will therefore decrease one of the factors leading to an incredibly FAT society, with all its associated medical costs.

It's a small benefit, but one nonetheless.

Kiko
5th March 09, 04:27 PM
It MIGHT influence everyone (but especially poor folks) to eat elsewhere, especially healthier food.

Or it'll just play into Darwinism's hands and poor people will not only die sooner of heart disease, but they'll also have less money to pay their medical bills.

HappyOldGuy
5th March 09, 04:47 PM
By inducing fat people to stop buying such shitty food, or at least to buy less of it, and will therefore decrease one of the factors leading to an incredibly FAT society, with all its associated medical costs.

It's a small benefit, but one nonetheless.
Hmm. I may get myself in trouble applying US fast food economics to aussieland. But in the US, McDonalds is among the cheapest meals you can get calorie for calorie once you add in the full costs of shopping+storage+preparation for families where both parents work. And the meals that are competitive on price aren't any healthier. Which is why you get a wierd dynamic where fast food is a luxury (or better termed, a "treat") for middle class families and a survival necessity for poorer ones.

I'm assuming that holds true for aussieland also, because it makes this move make sense as long as the price increase is still lower than the cost of otherwise healthier meals.

JohnnyCache
5th March 09, 04:49 PM
yeah there's always all this "poor people should just eat home-made tortillas and black beans" shit but the thing is the poor people that do nothing all day are kind of a rarity - the poor people that hit the shit out of mcD's are rockin' 12 hours a day in many cases.

Cullion
5th March 09, 04:54 PM
yeah there's always all this "poor people should just eat home-made tortillas and black beans" shit but the thing is the poor people that do nothing all day are kind of a rarity - the poor people that hit the shit out of mcD's are rockin' 12 hours a day in many cases.

You can cook a meal from fresh ingredients in 20 minutes. If you want quicker whilst still cheaper than McDonalds, you've still got a lot of options.

I've worked plenty of 12+ hour days in my time.

The only thing I find to pity about people who think they have to eat at McDonald's because it's all they can afford is that they didn't get taught better basic home economics.

Cullion
5th March 09, 04:55 PM
How?

By benefiting McDonald's employees and pension funds invested in the clown.

HappyOldGuy
5th March 09, 05:07 PM
You can cook a meal from fresh ingredients in 20 minutes. If you want quicker whilst still cheaper than McDonalds, you've still got a lot of options.

I've worked plenty of 12+ hour days in my time.

The only thing I find to pity about people who think they have to eat at McDonald's because it's all they can afford is that they didn't get taught better basic home economics.

I'm gonna go out on a little bit of a limb and guess that 20 minutes of your time can pay for enough McDonalds to feed quite a large family.

HappyOldGuy
5th March 09, 05:09 PM
By benefiting McDonald's employees and pension funds invested in the clown.

That's fine, no argument there. If you want to take it past that, we're already arguing the point I think he was making one post up.

Kein Haar
5th March 09, 05:15 PM
Wait...what?

Did someone dispute the ease of putting some basic ingredients in a crock pot and ignoring all day?

It's really come to thinking that that's STILL too much work?

Kein Haar
5th March 09, 05:18 PM
...and what's faster? Making a run to the liquor store, or microwaving pre-made food?

Are you telling me poor people are generally known for their temperance for alcohol and tobacco too?

Cullion
5th March 09, 05:20 PM
I'm gonna go out on a little bit of a limb and guess that 20 minutes of your time can pay for enough McDonalds to feed quite a large family.

I could buy a few meals with 20 minutes of my time, but the opportunity cost calculations for 'what is your time worth' don't work that way.

I'm not mentally capable of focussed work for the entire time I'm awake, so I'm not really trading 20 minutes of food prep for lost earnings. It was the same when I did unskilled labour on construction sites and in warehouses in my early 20s.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I enjoy cooking and find making something myself in the evening a welcome relaxation.

I think the real reason people eat McDonald's so much isn't just that it's about the cheapest meal you can get that somebody else to prepare for you, it's that the salt, flavourings and fat content make it really appealing to our baser instincts which developed when foods like that were scarce. It's not addictive like tobacco, but it does appeal to our lesser natures.

Incidentally, I made my children home-made big macs the other day. Wholemeal buns, burger patties made from lean (but cheap) ground beef with grated carrot and onion, cheddar cheese, gherkins out of a jar chopped into real mayo, ketchup and some lettuce. I ought to work out exactly what it cost per burger.

Zendetta
5th March 09, 05:26 PM
I made the world's best chicken noodle soup last weekend.

About $20 for the whole organic chicken, $5 for vegetables. It took several hours, but most of that time was me playing xbox while the stock cooked and whatnot. It made for probably 8 to 10 portions, was very healthy, and totally fucking delicious.

Fuck Macdonald's. They've got crap food and the Demon Clown has ruined a fine Scottish name for all time.

HappyOldGuy
5th March 09, 05:36 PM
I made the world's best chicken noodle soup last weekend.

About $20 for the whole organic chicken, $5 for vegetables. It took several hours, but most of that time was me playing xbox while the stock cooked and whatnot. It made for probably 8 to 10 portions, was very healthy, and totally fucking delicious.

At 8-10 portions, it was about 3x as expensive as a dollar menu happy meal, and didn't include a drink or side.

Cullion, your burgers were at least 3x their clown equivalents. Probably more. More to the point, why is it surprising to a hardcore free marketeer like yourself that the pinnacle of capitalist badassosity can outcompete mom in the kitchen. Isn't that sorta the point?

Fuck Macdonald's. They've got crap food and the Demon Clown has ruined a fine Scottish name for all time.

Yeah, ever since they went microwave on the McMuffins, I've had absolutely no reason to even go in the door. But it really is some of the cheapest and most calories dense crap food available. Mom's apple pie doesn't stand a fucking chance of competing with the clown on price and convenience.

Cullion
5th March 09, 05:44 PM
Cullion, your burgers were at least 3x their clown equivalents.

Actually, I'm not so sure. A big mac on its own costs about 3 in the UK.
I bought a 5 packet of lean mince (ground beef to you), paid 0.60 for a packet of 4 wholemeal buns and about 2 on the cheese. I fed 2 adults and 2 children.

I'm not sure what the mayo, gherkins, lettuce leaf, bit of onion and carrot and ketchup cost per burger, but none of my ingredients were loaded with additives or were mechanically reclaimed crap loaded with fat replacements and additives and I still think I'm on course to have equalled or even beaten McDonalds on price.

Probably more. More to the point, why is it surprising to a hardcore free marketeer like yourself that the pinnacle of capitalist badassosity can outcompete mom in the kitchen. Isn't that sorta the point?

Lol, no. Market segmentation. That's the point some of us are trying to make here. McDonalds doesn't compete on price with all other sources of food, it competes on price with other methods of getting salty, greasy food loaded with flavourings for people who are too busy, too lazy or simply don't know how to cook for themselves.

HappyOldGuy
5th March 09, 05:47 PM
Actually, I'm not so sure. A big mac on its own costs about 3 in the UK.

We can end the conversation here. We're talking totally different experiences. When I talk about the dollar meal menu, I mean exactly that.

McDonalds doesn't compete on price with all other sources of food, it competes on price with other methods of getting salty, greasy food loaded with flavourings for people who are too busy, too lazy or simply don't know how to cook for themselves.

In the states, it competes on price for working families and crushes everything except 7-11 hot dogs and such.

Cullion
5th March 09, 05:52 PM
We can end the conversation here. We're talking totally different experiences. When I talk about the dollar meal menu, I mean exactly that.

In the states, it competes on price for working families and crushes everything except 7-11 hot dogs and such.

I don't understand why groceries cost so much more in the US compared to McDonald's meals. We have to import a lot more of our food in the UK.

Is it really competing on price? or are those working families simply not doing the math because they've come to think it's normal and convenient to shovel greese down at a counter than spend 20-30 minutes opening cans and and chopping some vegetables in the kitchen together ?

What does a pound of ground beef, 4 wholemeal buns and an onion cost in a US grocery store ?

WarPhalange
5th March 09, 06:00 PM
I don't understand why groceries cost so much more in the US compared to McDonald's meals. We have to import a lot more of our food in the UK.

Is it really competing on price? or are those working families simply not doing the math because they've come to think it's normal and convenient to shovel greese down at a counter than spend 20-30 minutes opening cans and and chopping some vegetables in the kitchen together ?

$2.18 will buy me a double cheeseburger and a McChicken. They have 440 + 360 Calories, respectively. That is enough to satisfy me as a dinner meal.

Cullion
5th March 09, 06:06 PM
$2.18 will buy me a double cheeseburger and a McChicken. They have 440 + 360 Calories, respectively. That is enough to satisfy me as a dinner meal.

Of course it is. But surely you could buy enough groceries to cook a healthier evening meal for that ?

HappyOldGuy
5th March 09, 06:07 PM

What does a pound of ground beef, 4 wholemeal buns and an onion cost in a US grocery store ?
In a word. Corn. There are whole books (and movies) about the externalities of the way McDonalds does business in the US. It's not just the clown though. It's prepared/industrial food in general. US agriculture is able to produce ludicrous amounts of cheap calories from corn, soy, and a few other crops, but not in a way that is palatable as produce. I suspect that the ways that corn gets turned into (for example) beef are probably illegal in the UK. Your food and worker safety laws probably prohibit alot of our practices.

(also, off the top of my head, about $5, probably 3.50+1+.50)

Arhetton
5th March 09, 06:10 PM
haven't eaten mcdonalds in over 4 years!

whoo whoo!

Cullion
5th March 09, 06:14 PM
In a word. Corn. There are whole books (and movies) about the externalities of the way McDonalds does business in the US. It's not just the clown though. It's prepared/industrial food in general. US agriculture is able to produce ludicrous amounts of cheap calories from corn, soy, and a few other crops, but not in a way that is palatable as produce. I suspect that the ways that corn gets turned into (for example) beef are probably illegal in the UK. Your food and worker safety laws probably prohibit alot of our practices.

Here are some things I do know about the difference between US and European agriculture:-

i) American beef and other livestock is injected with drugs and hormones which aren't allowed to enter the human food chain here. Some would argue this is European protectionism of our own highly subsidised agriculture. I don't know enough biochemistry to tell you how dangerous the 'banned' substances you're using really are.

ii) I'm vaguely aware that corn production was highly subsidised in the US even before the biofuels mania. We have vast and inefficient agricultural subsidies in Europe too, but they aren't targetted at a particular crop like it seems to be with corn in the US.

iii) Your processed foods contain substantial quantities of high-fructose corn syrup and this is often cited by European critics of American agricultural practices as a primary, though under-discussed cause of American obesity, much moreso than american consumption of fatty meat.

If you've ever read about scientific studies backing things like the paleo diet, you'll know that some scientists think it's not simply a question of calorie content, but the way in which those calories are delivered and how they effect your bodies appetite regulation, insulin levels and other hormones which affect how much of your food is stored a bodyfat. High-glycemic index sugars like corn syrup are about as bad as it gets in this regard.

WarPhalange
5th March 09, 06:19 PM
Meat (https://shop.albertsons.com/eCommerceWeb/ProductListAction.do?action=getSortedProductList&selAisleId=31&aisleId=31&catName=Beef&selCategoryId=777&categoryId=777&subCategoryName=Ground%20Beef&aslName=Meat%20%26%20Seafood&pc=11&subCategoryId=1342&bcAction=getProducts&aisleTypeId=1&selAisleTypeId=1&splInd=0_1_0_0). A double cheeseburger has a quarter pound of meat (before cooking) in it. The only one of those products that can compare is the Morans tube of beef for $2-something.

Buns (https://shop.albertsons.com/eCommerceWeb/ProductListAction.do?action=getSortedProductList&selAisleId=38&aisleId=38&catName=Breads%20Packaged&selCategoryId=767&categoryId=767&subCategoryName=Buns&aslName=Bakery&pc=30&subCategoryId=1277&bcAction=getProducts&aisleTypeId=1&selAisleTypeId=1&splInd=0_4_0_0) cost about $0.20 a piece.

Cheese costs about $0.15 a piece.

Adding in some meager veggies and condiments probably won't put you in the poor house, but I'm guessing you'd be right around that $1.09 range before you even try to cook anything or clean any dishes. So if you are working two jobs, grabbing a burger from McShit is a lot easier than cooking one yourself. Go browse Albertsons.com and check the prices of ingredients to whatever meal it is you had in mind.

Zendetta
5th March 09, 06:19 PM
At 8-10 portions, it was about 3x as expensive as a dollar menu happy meal, and didn't include a drink or side.

Mostly, I was just talking shop.

But $2.50 a serving for organic chicken and organic vegetables smokes that freeking "value menu". It did have a side: some nice organic sourdough bread.

Filtered tapwater > soda, too.

There is more to food than calories, as you well know. I think a lot of American dysfunctions come from our obsession with "cheapest".

WarPhalange
5th March 09, 06:23 PM
i) American beef and other livestock is injected with drugs and hormones which aren't allowed to enter the human food chain here. Some would argue this is European protectionism of our own highly subsidised agriculture. I don't know enough biochemistry to tell you how dangerous the 'banned' substances you're using really are.

Antibiotics are always a bad thing unless you are directly treating some sort of disease or infection. Bacteria will only get stronger and become immune to the tools we already have and then we're fucked.

ii) I'm vaguely aware that corn production was highly subsidised in the US even before the biofuels mania. We have vast and inefficient agricultural subsidies in Europe too, but they aren't targetted at a particular crop like it seems to be with corn in the US.

iii) Your processed foods contain substantial quantities of high-fructose corn syrup and this is often cited by European critics of American agricultural practices as a primary, though under-discussed cause of American obesity, much moreso than american consumption of fatty meat.

Corn is in everything. Go read ingredient lists from pretty much anything in America, even things like bread. It is useless calories. Even fat has its uses in the human body. Lots of simple sugars do not.

If you've ever read about scientific studies backing things like the paleo diet, you'll know that some scientists think it's not simply a question of calorie content, but the way in which those calories are delivered and how they effect your bodies appetite regulation, insulin levels and other hormones which affect how much of your food is stored a bodyfat. High-glycemic index sugars like corn syrup are about as bad as it gets in this regard.

But they are cheap! Free market wins again!

Zendetta
5th March 09, 06:28 PM
But they are cheap! Free market wins again!

Fail.

Corn is so cheap and ubiquitous precisely because it is heavily subsidized by the Government.

HappyOldGuy
5th March 09, 06:28 PM
Mostly, I was just talking shop.

But $2.50 a serving for organic chicken and organic vegetables smokes that freeking "value menu". It did have a side: some nice organic sourdough bread.

Filtered tapwater > soda, too.

There is more to food than calories, as you well know. I think a lot of American dysfunctions come from our obsession with "cheapest".

I totally agree. I'll eat your soup any time. Like I said, I gave up on McDonalds when they took the one halfway decent thing on their menu (McMuffin and Hash Browns) and started nuking it instead of grilling it. Now they taste like soggy cardboard and I literally haven't been in a couple of years.

I was just explaining how appealing McDonalds is financially.

Zendetta
5th March 09, 06:30 PM
Oh man was it good.

Should I talk about how rare grocery stores are in the ghetto, especially ones selling fresh seasonal veggies, or are you saving that for later?

HappyOldGuy
5th March 09, 06:31 PM
Fail.

Corn is so cheap and ubiquitous precisely because it is heavily subsidized by the Government.
Sorta true, but the cause and effect is kinda fucked up 80 ways from sunday. The purpose of the government subsidy was actually to limit the supply because green revolution science had made it so productive that we were drowning in the stuff. Obviously, it's created enough layers of perverse incentives to give Hieronymous Bosch a stiffy.

One of the few things Obama has done since taking office that made me genuinely happy was his taking a stand on ending corn subsidies. I think he's gonna lose, but it took balls to try.

Zendetta
5th March 09, 06:32 PM
I don't want to jinx it, but there is talk about getting Michael Pollan to speak at my company's big yearly shindig.

Cullion
5th March 09, 06:36 PM
Go browse Albertsons.com and check the prices of ingredients to whatever meal it is you had in mind.

I entered a randomish zip code and was shopping at San Diego prices.

Cheapest beef off the bone I can find is this chuck steak:-

https://shop.albertsons.com/eCommerceWeb/ProductListAction.do?action=getProductDetails&prodId=104400&dirId=1884&subCategoryName=Beef-Variety&fromPage=browseAZPage

Which is still pretty expensive.

Cheapest meat I could find that looked reasonably healthy was frozen turkey.

Whole turkeys were available at $1.29 per pound. That's quite a bit cheaper than McDonald's beef.

5th March 09, 06:36 PM
Maybe they raised their prices in response to the rash of "911" and "Police Emergency" calls some of their locations are having to endure due to incorrect food orders.

HappyOldGuy
5th March 09, 06:44 PM
Whole turkeys were available at $1.29 per pound. That's quite a bit cheaper than McDonald's beef.
True, but we're way past the 20 minute meal at that point.

5th March 09, 06:49 PM
Rachel Ray > Ronald McDonald

HappyOldGuy
5th March 09, 06:53 PM
Rachel Ray > Ronald McDonald

As much as I love the notion of sticking an apple in her mouth to shut her the fuck up, I don't think she would be that tasty.

5th March 09, 06:55 PM
As much as I love the notion of sticking an apple in her mouth to shut her the fuck up, I don't think she would be that tasty.

annoying voice, big ass and small cans aside,

she can show you how to make a relatively healthy, balanced, inexpensive meal in around a half-hour.

Zendetta
5th March 09, 07:12 PM
God I love Rachel Ray. Her oral fixation is practically palpable.

YSCzYFJ63VA&feature=related

HappyOldGuy
5th March 09, 07:29 PM
annoying voice, big ass and small cans aside,

I actually like her big ass. But her voice and the way she gives pet names to everything makes me want to stick my head in an industrial microwave.

Virus
5th March 09, 10:34 PM
This only seems to affect people who eat bullshit.

Care factor = Zero.

5th March 09, 11:28 PM
I actually like her big ass. But her voice and the way she gives pet names to everything makes me want to stick my head in an industrial microwave.

Oh, no.
Don't misunderstand me.

I didn't use "big ass" as a pejorative.

And I bet you wouldn't mind her giving something of your a little pet name.

WarPhalange
5th March 09, 11:37 PM
If you want to eat plain turkey by itself, sure. But sure, those are the types of people who enjoy McDonald's in the first place.

Cullion
6th March 09, 03:22 AM
True, but we're way past the 20 minute meal at that point.

Yeah, you'd have to cook at the weekend. I'd get a week of cold-cut sandwiches and frozen blocks of turkey curry out of it.

Cullion
6th March 09, 03:24 AM
If you want to eat plain turkey by itself, sure.

Poops, you could be cooking a lot of different vegetables and sauces with that and still be eating substantially cheaper than McDonald's all week.

nihilist
6th March 09, 05:46 AM
Eating vegetables would make Poop Loops happy and healthy.

Now ask yourself: "Would I really want that?"

6th March 09, 07:26 AM
Eating vegetables would make Poop Loops happy and healthy.

Now ask yourself: "Would I really want that?"

and he would no longer be pooping loops.

nihilist
6th March 09, 10:25 AM
Consider him eating fruit then.

WarPhalange
6th March 09, 11:44 AM
Fuck you I love my veggies. When I was in pre-school, I wouldn't bring gummy bears or chips to for snack time, I would bring green peppers with salt on them. Fuck yeah.

Then again, despite having an awesome Heman sword with sound effects, legos, and all sorts of other junk, I would opt to bring a piece of rope or a stick to school and somehow convince everybody that it was the best thing ever and those little fuckers would always want to play with it.

No, Srsly.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
6th March 09, 12:07 PM
i made swords out of planks, sticks, and tin foil all the time even though i had perfectly good toys. I think part of it is that making something for yourself, even if it sucks ass because you're like six years old, is always really cool.

WarPhalange
6th March 09, 01:48 PM
Of course. That's why Legos are always awesome.

Cullion
6th March 09, 02:01 PM
You two are going to be so disappointed when you finally get to play with naked girls.

Lego is better.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
6th March 09, 02:06 PM
the jokes on you. im saving myself for marriage

Kiko
6th March 09, 02:12 PM
I feel so dirty....

Some woman came into the store looking for an odd sized fish tank canopy... EATING McDONALD'S FRENCH FRIES!!!

It broke my will and I went across the parking lot after work, got 2 fish filets and small fries (for $4.30) and um.. yeah..

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
6th March 09, 02:14 PM
oh man thats going straight to your hips gurlfriend

Kiko
6th March 09, 02:19 PM
I know, I know....

Good thing I'm going back to belly dance class tomorrow!

EuropIan
6th March 09, 02:27 PM
Mcdonalds is expensive in Denmark.

Of course it doesn't have trans fatty acids like it does in America.

elipson
7th March 09, 04:48 PM
the jokes on you. im saving myself for marriage

Technically the joke is going to be on your wife.

HappyOldGuy
7th March 09, 04:50 PM
Technically the joke is going to be on your wife.

Certainly not in.

Badump bump.

WarPhalange
7th March 09, 05:05 PM
You two are going to be so disappointed when you finally get to play with naked girls.

I don't think I'll be as disappointed as she will be.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20090106.gif

Toby Christensen
8th March 09, 01:33 AM
We have lots of food chains here and I can think of some Australian ones (or I believe they're Australian)... Hell Pizza, Zaraffa's, Michel's Patisserie, Oporto's, Fasta Pasta (since I realised pasta was actually tasty), Doughnut King...

Australia also bought out Sizzler.

Added to this you can go down the pub and spend as much as you would at McDonald's on MUCH better food and soft drink.

But the Golden Arches still dominate our freeways and suburbs.

People LIKE it.

SoulMechanic
11th March 09, 09:05 PM
While we are at it, lets add a negro tax to all KFC restraunts.

Oh and Kein Derrh or whatever the fuck your name is, don't be such an ass. Taking your clan to McDonald's does have its redeeming qualities to the underprivelidged single mother ect. You know, the ones that work 14-16 hours a day who may not have the luxury of taking two hours out of the day to make a soup for their kids. Although I agree with what your saying for the most part, not everybody has the time or resources to prepare a proper healthy yet cost effective meal for their family on a daily basis.

Cullion
14th March 09, 08:12 AM
not everybody has the time or resources to prepare a proper healthy yet cost effective meal for their family on a daily basis.

booshit. all you need is a stove, a pan and 20 minutes.

Kein Haar
14th March 09, 08:18 AM
While we are at it, lets add a negro tax to all KFC restraunts.

Oh and Kein Derrh or whatever the fuck your name is, don't be such an ass. Taking your clan to McDonald's does have its redeeming qualities to the underprivelidged single mother ect. You know, the ones that work 14-16 hours a day who may not have the luxury of taking two hours out of the day to make a soup for their kids. Although I agree with what your saying for the most part, not everybody has the time or resources to prepare a proper healthy yet cost effective meal for their family on a daily basis.

2 hours per day, huh?

I can't BELIEVE this needs explaining.

Back in the day, all this shit you consider complicated and time-consuming was the staple of those without disposable income.

You do realize that Campbells was a joke upon inception. "Why the hell would someone BUY soup? That's where left-overs go. Wtf?"

You know, like a stripped chicken carcass. Odds-and-ends of vegetables past freshness and stuff.

The kind of thing you could throw together without much thought and you'd have something to last several meals for several people.

Does any of this ring a bell?

I realize grandma's soup bones aren't free anymore, but they are still pennies on the pound.

I see sales on whole chicken, drumsticks, or leg quarters for 89 cents per pound or less. Odd parts for half as much.

Nutritious beef liver for about the same.

Beans are as simple as it gets....a little bit of ham for flavor, cooked in simple stock. Restaurant quality pub food.

Hell, an "exotic" home-made baba ghanouj is cheap too if you can handle a can of chick-peas!

Sweat-pototoes. Not hard.

Eggs? What can't you do with eggs?

Garlic mashed potatoes cut with pureed cauliflower.

Etc etc etc.

I'm not even delving into the cheap carbo crap one could be preparing either. But one could compound the cost effectiveness by inserting fillers like rice and pastas, and we'd still be talking about respectable meals.

A few hours of preperation in one day could have most of the week covered. I take it you don't have much experience with this concept.

I make batches so big and so cheap, I get sick of seeing the shit after a week. The dog usually finishes off a good chunk.

So, in conclusion, shut your apologist pie-hole.

Cullion
14th March 09, 08:32 AM
I'm not going to help you out until you change 'portly' to 'heavily built'.

Cullion
14th March 09, 08:32 AM
Actually I like the sound of 'powerfully built' better.

Kein Haar
14th March 09, 08:56 AM
I edited multiple times. I take it all back.

Cullion is ripped to the bone, fyi everyone.

Cullion
14th March 09, 09:16 AM
Alright then.

Most Sundays I cook up a pot of chicken, coconut milk, and chili, ginger and lemon grass with some courgette, onion, some green beans. That takes about 45 minutes most of which is simply leaving it on the stove top on a low heat. Then I portion it into freezer bags and freeze them. That takes maybe 10 minutes.

When I get home on a week night, I take a bag out of the fridge, dump the frozen curry into a saucepan and heat it up. That takes about 10 minutes. The ingredients cost less than 2 per portion. I don't bother with rice. If I crave carbs I have a slice of wholemeal bread with it and/or some fruit for desert.

Some nights I chop up left over roast meat from Sunday lunch into a salad. 5 minutes tops.

Breakfast is wholemeal toast with peanut butter and a piece of fruit. Lunch is a can of any kind of soup, maybe with a bread roll. Some raw nuts to snack.

I can't be spending more than about 4 per day on food for myself, and it's reasonably healthy.

I felt better when I was trying out the paleo diet, but that is substantially more expensive and a bit more preparation hassle.

EuropIan
14th March 09, 02:17 PM
1,8kgs of chicken is about 24 DKR (about $4)

Rice is cheap. (12kr pr kg)

Onions and carrots are cheap. (less than 10 kr)

You now have several variations of dinner

in comparison, a single large Big Mac meal is about 55kr

There is no excuse.

SoulMechanic
14th March 09, 03:33 PM
2 hours per day, huh?

I can't BELIEVE this needs explaining.

Back in the day, all this shit you consider complicated and time-consuming was the staple of those without disposable income.

You do realize that Campbells was a joke upon inception. "Why the hell would someone BUY soup? That's where left-overs go. Wtf?"

You know, like a stripped chicken carcass. Odds-and-ends of vegetables past freshness and stuff.

The kind of thing you could throw together without much thought and you'd have something to last several meals for several people.

Does any of this ring a bell?

I realize grandma's soup bones aren't free anymore, but they are still pennies on the pound.

I see sales on whole chicken, drumsticks, or leg quarters for 89 cents per pound or less. Odd parts for half as much.

Nutritious beef liver for about the same.

Beans are as simple as it gets....a little bit of ham for flavor, cooked in simple stock. Restaurant quality pub food.

Hell, an "exotic" home-made baba ghanouj is cheap too if you can handle a can of chick-peas!

Sweat-pototoes. Not hard.

Eggs? What can't you do with eggs?

Garlic mashed potatoes cut with pureed cauliflower.

Etc etc etc.

I'm not even delving into the cheap carbo crap one could be preparing either. But one could compound the cost effectiveness by inserting fillers like rice and pastas, and we'd still be talking about respectable meals.

A few hours of preparation in one day could have most of the week covered. I take it you don't have much experience with this concept.

I make batches so big and so cheap, I get sick of seeing the shit after a week. The dog usually finishes off a good chunk.

So, in conclusion, shut your apologist pie-hole.

First off, I said "on a daily basis." I had no intention on implying this would be an appropriate means of feeding your family every day. I simply do not agree with your opinion that McDonald's is doing anybody a "favor" in hiking the price of their rancid food in impoverished neighborhoods. If this is me being a apologist then I will gladly shut my pie-hole if you agree to open yours while I unzip my trousers. Second, you make a very compelling argument. You are also correct in assuming "I don't have much experience with this concept." I have had the luxury of having my woman prepare meals for me on a daily basis, before her I had my now ex-wife do the same and before her I had mommy.

Cullion
14th March 09, 03:45 PM
I don't think you're right about McDonalds but I concur that the sauciness of that reply does indeed entitle you to get your cock sucked by a man in uniform.

Cullion
14th March 09, 03:48 PM
Do kids get taught how to cook in American highschools these days ?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
14th March 09, 04:05 PM
I had a cooking class in 7th or 8th grade that only lasted 1/3rd of the year. I don't think my high school even had one.

SoulMechanic
14th March 09, 04:09 PM
Do kids get taught how to cook in American highschools these days ?
Yes. Well, they taught me how to bake a cake, make a pizza and not much more then that in my Home Economics class. Maybe others had a better experience then I, but my class was a fucking joke.

EuropIan
14th March 09, 04:16 PM
Even though I had home ec classes, my parents taught me how to cook.

Cullion
14th March 09, 04:18 PM
What did you get taught MJS ?

I was taught how to cook about 7 or 8 basic meals with rice and pasta and fresh meat and veg and how to bake bread and chocolate cake. Most of what I know about cooking I learned from TV chefs and books though, my mother's a lovely woman, but not a great cook.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
14th March 09, 04:23 PM
mostly the same. i can barely remember anything from the class to be honest, much less anything i was taught.

bob
14th March 09, 04:24 PM
I've avoided McDonald's like the plague for decades but I found myself frequenting their 'restaurant' (that has got to be either the most ballsy or most ridiculous bit of straight faced marketing I've ever seen) several times lately for one very important reason: they have the most awesome play areas.

Seriously, a three story rocket ship with multiple cockpits, I would have walked over broken glass to play on that when I was a kid. My son can spend an hour exploring other planets while I have a couple of mediocre coffees and use their wireless internet. Fortunately he despises their food. If he actually ate it I probably wouldn't go.

Kein Haar
14th March 09, 04:55 PM
I simply do not agree with your opinion that McDonald's is doing anybody a "favor" in hiking the price of their rancid food in impoverished neighborhoods.

Do you listen to yourself?

SoulMechanic
14th March 09, 05:17 PM
Do you listen to yourself?
Errr, yup.

If they want to eat it that filth, fine. Do the poor need to be bent over and fucked? I think not. The awful quality of food they are ingesting is irrelevant. The fact they are adding a poverty tax on their food is. Shit, poor people have lots of babies too. We should have the price of baby food and formula increased while we are at it. That will learn them.

Cullion
14th March 09, 05:22 PM
So what you're saying is, you object to people who are addicted to junk food being charged more for it than people who aren't ?

So, you oppose, say, cigarette taxes ?

SoulMechanic
14th March 09, 05:27 PM
So what you're saying is, you object to people who are addicted to junk food being charged more for it than people who aren't ?

Sure if the taxes were specifically isolated to only one demographic.

Cullion
14th March 09, 05:33 PM
Do you think people with a bad credit history shouldn't be refused loans or charged higher interest rates ?

SoulMechanic
14th March 09, 05:47 PM
No, they should, and are.

14th March 09, 05:52 PM

Only if you could guarantee it went specifically to offset the increase in the cost of services needed to attend to or treat ailments associated with their consumption and no other public monies were used towards treating those ailments.

Cullion
14th March 09, 06:13 PM
Only if you could guarantee it went specifically to offset the increase in the cost of services needed to attend to or treat ailments associated with their consumption and no other public monies were used towards treating those ailments.

Well, that's not the case. Nor for taxes on alchol or carbon fuels, as you probably know all too well. Where are you going with this, exactly?

elipson
14th March 09, 06:30 PM
IT'S NOT MACDONALD'S JOB TO PROVIDE CHEAP FOOD TO ANYONE!!!

They want to make money, period! They don't give a shit about feeding the starving masses. And why the hell should they? When did they suddenly become responsible for making sure these poor folk get a decent meal?

Christ, you'd think they were responsible for people being poor or something.

Cullion
14th March 09, 06:37 PM
Exactly. McDonald's isn't a charity. It's a company that sells unhealthy synthetic food that can taste ok when you're drunk and you let your inner animal's craving for conveniently packaged fat, sugary carbs, salt and low-quality protein overwhelm you.

P.S. My definition of 'poor' does not really include people who can find the money to indulge such cravings, so I don't care what it costs. Caveat Emptor etc..

EuropIan
14th March 09, 06:44 PM
I'm too poor to eat at mcd's; it's actually a little bit of a status symbol (if you can wrap your mind around that)

I usually go for kebab when I feel like junk food.

Cullion
14th March 09, 06:48 PM
Yup. I think of all junk food as a weird kind of luxury that's actually lower quality than a lot of much cheaper food. I eat it when I'm drunk miles from home and feeling impulsive.

I don't eat kebabs though, that's the bottom of the junk food chain in the UK.

Cullion
14th March 09, 06:48 PM
BTW Ian, your new avatar should have 'too pretty for jail' as its tagline.

You're welcome.

SoulMechanic
14th March 09, 07:09 PM
Id go with "Jailbait with an open tailgate."

Kiko
15th March 09, 06:46 AM
http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/political-pictures-william-howard-taft-think-mcdonalds.jpg

EuropIan
15th March 09, 06:58 AM
In the old days, poor people weren't fat..

I guess some things do change after all.

15th March 09, 10:30 AM
Well, that's not the case. Nor for taxes on alchol or carbon fuels, as you probably know all too well. Where are you going with this, exactly?

Just pointing out the the "gubbermint" will apply taxes to vices and other products which are deemed to "require greater public services" yet the the revenue from those taxes never reach the departments or programs which would benefit greatly.

If there was a state collected alcohol, cigarette and unhealthy food tax that went straight to that state's health care system, I would be all for it.

Cullion
15th March 09, 10:45 AM
A dangerous sports tax too ?

15th March 09, 10:55 AM
A dangerous sports tax too ?

Generally, when someone is injured playing sports, and they aren't a professional, it is in a educational setting or a competitive club setting, both of which provide or require the purchase of participation insurance.

At least in my case it always was.

If you are referring to either motorsports (ie: motorcycle, personal watercraft, dirtbikes) or the "extreme sports" (ie: motocross, skateboard, snowboard), I would need to see statistics which support such a tax, as I am ignorant on the frequency and severity of occurance.

Kiko
15th March 09, 11:09 AM
Does that mean that drinking and smoking should be competitive sports too?

Cullion
15th March 09, 11:10 AM
Badum-tish.

Cullion
15th March 09, 11:12 AM
How would we be defining 'unhealthy' food?

Sugar content?

Saturated fat content?

Salt content?

Glycemic index?

15th March 09, 11:16 AM
How would we be defining 'unhealthy' food?

Sugar content?

Saturated fat content?

Salt content?

Glycemic index?

Any food the teeming mass of fatties trough-up to that makes it more difficult for them to waddle then it did for them to waddle towards.

Cullion
15th March 09, 11:29 AM
So, pasta? cheese? You can get fat on almost anything.

15th March 09, 11:50 AM
So, pasta? cheese? You can get fat on almost anything.

As a rule, the cheaper foods use starches, salts, sugars, carbohydrates and other lower nutritional fillers to mask the poor flavor.

Junk food, per se isn't in and of itself bad, however a diet consisting heavily on or primarily of these foods is, of the so-called "junk diet".

Cullion eating a Twinkie on occasion isn't going to had an overall adverse affect on your health, but if your diet favors these types of food it is.

So in my opinion, no. Adding this tax to staple foods such as pasta, cheese, meats, whole grain breads and rice, vegetables and fruits doesn't make sense.

I am sure that a mathematical equation can be created to determine if the overall benefit of the food outfactors the negative impact, the tax should be levied.

Cullion
15th March 09, 11:58 AM
It probably can't you know.

15th March 09, 12:03 PM
It probably can't you know.

I understand logic + government = fabled unicorn.

There are always going to be other programs that want to get their share.

elipson
15th March 09, 05:53 PM
Sugar tax.

People don't really need sugar and its in almost all crappy junk food.

Oh but then we have to account for the subsuidized lazy ass US farmers who sell their corn for high fructose corn syrup, for no fucking reason at all.

EuropIan
15th March 09, 06:02 PM
^corn syrup is the one of the main problems with US foods.

we can all agree on this.

EEbRxTOyGf0

socratic
23rd March 09, 03:29 AM
^corn syrup is the one of the main problems with US foods.

we can all agree on this.

EEbRxTOyGf0

I love/hate those ads.

Woman 1: Daww, fructose is bad 'n' stuff!!
Woman 2: Shut the fuck up.
Woman 1: Buhhh!
Woman 2: Eating refined sugar is freakin' good for you, 'kay? 'Cause I say so.
Woman 1: I has sugar!?

WarPhalange
23rd March 09, 01:48 PM
"It's fine in moderation."

Oh, okay. Good thing they don't define "moderation", or else people would realize they are getting lethal amounts of it in their system every day.

Kiko
23rd March 09, 01:55 PM
How do dictionary?

Cullion
23rd March 09, 02:08 PM
"It's fine in moderation."

Oh, okay. Good thing they don't define "moderation", or else people would realize they are getting lethal amounts of it in their system every day.

That's a bit like saying that fried chicken is fine in moderation. Imagine if the US government subsidised fried chicken production and they used the surplus fried chicken as an additive in everything?

Actually.. that would be amazing

bob
23rd March 09, 02:29 PM
Cullion, I think Americans consider it racist for a white man to use the term 'fried chicken'. It's kind of like 'nigger'.

Cullion
23rd March 09, 02:35 PM
Not the Americans I know. I wouldn't care about something so stupid anyway. 'Fried Chicken'. There I did it again.

bob
23rd March 09, 02:38 PM
Next you'll be saying 'watermelon'.

WarPhalange
23rd March 09, 02:48 PM
How do dictionary?

HOW DO DEFINE AN ACTUAL AMOUNT THAT IS ALRIGHT TO CONSUME WITHOUT ANY SIDE-EFFECTS, WHICH CHANGES DEPENDING ON WHAT IT IS YOU ARE CONSUMING???

Cullion
23rd March 09, 02:50 PM
Whiskey is alright in moderation too. I don't think they should put it in baby-food though.

23rd March 09, 02:52 PM
What is your stance on collard greens?

Cullion
23rd March 09, 02:59 PM
In moderation.

HappyOldGuy
23rd March 09, 03:49 PM
I think it also depends on route of administration.

Kiko
23rd March 09, 03:54 PM
Common sense need not be used 'in moderation'. Then again, you're free not to use it at all.

23rd March 09, 03:55 PM
Do you advocate the application of butter, whole milks, mayonnaise and other high cholesterol, fatty foods?

Cullion
23rd March 09, 03:56 PM
Slathered.

In moderation.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
23rd March 09, 09:29 PM
That's a bit like saying that fried chicken is fine in moderation. Imagine if the US government subsidised fried chicken production and they used the surplus fried chicken as an additive in everything?

Actually.. that would be amazing

i think i just came a little
my breakfast today was chicken and waffles, aw yeah

WarPhalange
23rd March 09, 09:40 PM
lol look at mjs trying to be black. how cute

Yiktin Voxbane
23rd March 09, 10:28 PM
Common sense need not be used 'in moderation'. Then again, you're free not to use it at all.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Kiko again.

/Sigh .

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
24th March 09, 02:08 AM
how cute

gaydar alert gaydar alert

WarPhalange
24th March 09, 02:11 AM
No need to alert us, MJS, we already know you are gay.

nihilist
24th March 09, 02:13 AM
Now stop the gay bashing.

elipson
24th March 09, 02:14 AM
No need to alert us, MJS, we already know you are gay.

You know, you would think the MJS=Gay joke would get old after a while.

And yet, it's still funny.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
24th March 09, 02:15 AM
what have i ever done to make you think i'm gay?

nihilist
24th March 09, 02:17 AM
what have i ever done to make you think i'm gay?

Men in big cars.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
24th March 09, 02:21 AM
that time totally doesn't count

nihilist
24th March 09, 02:22 AM
You shouldn't have worn that short skirt.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
24th March 09, 02:37 AM
i feel comfortable that way, back off!