PDA

View Full Version : Elfen Lied - WTF am I watching?

CoffeeFan
1st March 09, 02:46 AM
I'm an anime fan. I happen to like the idea that adult themes and mature content can be expressed through animation and feel that the Japanese have done a much better job at it then we have. Normally I don't have a problem with dark subject matters, blood, violence, sexual matters, etc. After all, we have all been desensitized to that sort of thing at this point right?

Right?

Well last night I got to watch the first few episodes of Elfen Lied with my fiance, who is also an anime fan. Lets just say she refusing to watch this series with me and I have a strong desire to shower and rent The Care Bears Movie just to get my mind over this crazy ass shit!

Here's the first episode for you guys to enjoy. BTW, this is most definitely NSFW. If you have a problem with violence I suggest you don't watch this.

<object width="400" height="345"><param name="movie" value="http://media.imeem.com/v/o8pN9D7kgC/aus=false/pv=2"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://media.imeem.com/v/o8pN9D7kgC/aus=false/pv=2" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="345" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object><br/><a href="http://www.imeem.com/people/EvV8TmJ/video/xs4Yn8S5/elfen-lied-episode-1-sub-animation-video/">Elfen Lied episode 1 sub - </a>

While it's disturbing as can be, I love the detail of animation, music, story, and the unique feel for the show. It's unabashed about it's content, which is always nice to see. I look forward to watching the rest of it once I am able to stomach it. Anyone else like this particular anime?

Also here's some more F*ed up stuff from episode 4. Start watching at 3:50.

ABS9-wr_49s

WarPhalange
1st March 09, 02:49 AM
Hmmm... I vaguely remember the title... I don't remember from where, though. I suppose if I had actually watched it, though, I would have never been able to forget it. So I guess I must have read about it or heard about it from someone else.

EuropIan
1st March 09, 03:20 AM
Elfin Lied is a harem-type anime where theyy tried to hide this fact with gore and boobs.

I hate harem-type animes, so I didn't like Elfin Lied.

G-Off
1st March 09, 03:50 AM
I got to 3 minutes in and decided, "This is fucking stupid."

jubei33
1st March 09, 04:04 AM
yeah, you can't get much more adult themed than social alienation. boo hoo, my teenage heart is breaking, good thing i'm not just stuck with impotent rage, instead I have super powers.

yawn. It's like a more violent digimon.

EuropIan
1st March 09, 04:25 AM
Just for reference:

Harem type means a young man who is socially akward with the fairer sex and very much alone finds himself in a situation where he ends up owning a house with too many empty rooms (omg!). Now, for some (after the fact )reason(ing), LOTS OF GIRLS MOVE IN! This leads to many akward situations inlcuding but not constraind to:

OMG HE ACCIDENTILY TOUCHED HER BOOB

OMG HOW DID HE GET A HOLD OF THOSE PANTIES, LOL!!?

OH NO! HE SAW HER NAKED!?

OMGOMG SHE REALLY LIKES HIM! OH NO IT WAS ALL A MISUNDERSTANDING!

seriously, fuck that shit.

Tanhalen21
1st March 09, 04:39 AM
Just watched the first 3 episodes. Pretty interesting so far, but there's still a ton of shit that has no explanation

MrGalt
1st March 09, 05:09 AM
This sucked umpteen years ago when I saw it raw at an Otakon. It hasn't aged any better. Psychic...arms? WTF?

Aaranar
1st March 09, 07:38 AM
Heh, try FLCL. Less sex/violence, but way more crazy.

Steve
1st March 09, 07:44 AM

My favorite anime EVAR.

And it's only 6 episodes. The fantastic animation makes it worth it even if you are a giant dickface that doesn't like the story.

EuropIan
1st March 09, 09:43 AM
Aranar speaks the truth

MrBadGuy
1st March 09, 12:52 PM
yeah, you can't get much more adult themed than social alienation. boo hoo, my teenage heart is breaking, good thing i'm not just stuck with impotent rage, instead I have super powers.

yawn. It's like a more violent digimon.

Hey motherfucker, check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Digimon isn't that bad.

WarPhalange
1st March 09, 01:44 PM

Meh. It started out really good, but it's like either everybody forgot that there were only going to be 6 episodes and planned for at least double that, or the producers walked in with boners and told them to cut the anime down to 6 episodes, so that they can fuck the whole project in the ass.

The craziness at the end seemed more like "Shit shit, we need to end this somehow!!" than anything planned.

Just for reference:

Harem type means a young man who is socially akward with the fairer sex and very much alone finds himself in a situation where he ends up owning a house with too many empty rooms (omg!). Now, for some (after the fact )reason(ing), LOTS OF GIRLS MOVE IN! This leads to many akward situations inlcuding but not constraind to:

OMG HE ACCIDENTILY TOUCHED HER BOOB

OMG HOW DID HE GET A HOLD OF THOSE PANTIES, LOL!!?

OH NO! HE SAW HER NAKED!?

OMGOMG SHE REALLY LIKES HIM! OH NO IT WAS ALL A MISUNDERSTANDING!

seriously, fuck that shit.

I can see why Japanese men would eat that shit up. Same with our own basement dwellers as well. It's like, instead of them actually doing something by approaching a girl and/or talking to her (maybe even making eye contact if they feel really brave), sex is practically forced on them and they just kind of passively accept it. Do you understand that? Their fantasy is to be a Victorian-era lady.

Only thing that beats this is the FF7/8 "I have girls desperately trying to get in my pants but I'm a tough guy with a giant sword and almost super powers, so I ignore it/am too oblivious to notice it." This time their fantasy is to be a Victorian-era lady with a giant sword.

EuropIan
1st March 09, 02:47 PM
Their fantasy is to be a Victorian-era lady.

This coment is pure gold

Anna Kovacs
1st March 09, 07:48 PM
I thought the intro to elfen lied was awesome. I'd love to get a mean metal helmet and do a ring entrance ala's Lucys escape.

CoffeeFan
1st March 09, 09:22 PM
I thought the intro to elfen lied was awesome. I'd love to get a mean metal helmet and do a ring entrance ala's Lucys escape.

That would be freaking awsome

Halfrican
1st March 09, 09:24 PM
Right before you improved your record to 1-3?

Anna Kovacs
1st March 09, 11:25 PM
Actually my current record is 11-3.

Math is a bitch, isn't it?

TheMightyMcClaw
2nd March 09, 12:00 AM
Meh. It started out really good, but it's like either everybody forgot that there were only going to be 6 episodes and planned for at least double that, or the producers walked in with boners and told them to cut the anime down to 6 episodes, so that they can fuck the whole project in the ass.

The craziness at the end seemed more like "Shit shit, we need to end this somehow!!" than anything planned.

I can see why Japanese men would eat that shit up. Same with our own basement dwellers as well. It's like, instead of them actually doing something by approaching a girl and/or talking to her (maybe even making eye contact if they feel really brave), sex is practically forced on them and they just kind of passively accept it. Do you understand that? Their fantasy is to be a Victorian-era lady.

Only thing that beats this is the FF7/8 "I have girls desperately trying to get in my pants but I'm a tough guy with a giant sword and almost super powers, so I ignore it/am too oblivious to notice it." This time their fantasy is to be a Victorian-era lady with a giant sword.
You, sir, are a motherfucking genius. I feel like I understand shitty sexless video game/anime romances on a whole new level now.
Edit: Also, it seems that I need to spread around +reps before I can add to yours again.

Sirc
2nd March 09, 07:57 AM

Pretty much.

If I remember correctly FLCL (by the way everyone, it's supposed to be pronounce furry curry, fucking japanese) was slated for a 13 episode to 26 episode season, but budgeting fucked them in the ass and was forced to end in 6 episodes. Which is too bad.

Truculent Sheep
5th March 09, 03:17 PM
Also here's some more F*ed up stuff from episode 4. Start watching at 3:50.

ABS9-wr_49s

Adds a whole new meaning to 'getting legless', 'going to pieces', 'being rendered 'armless' etc. etc. etc.

AAAhmed46
7th March 09, 12:23 AM
To see the ending, read the manga.

www.onemanga.com

Shawarma
8th March 09, 07:44 AM
Is it just me or do the same 4 people voice all Japanese manga? From the clips I've seen it sounds like that.

Or maybe all Asians don't just look alike but sound alike as well.

Virus
17th March 09, 05:42 AM
I watched half the first episode and thought it was boring and sucks.

syberia
17th March 09, 07:27 AM
I watched Elfen lied to the end. Because it was that or go to class. Some bits were ok, but the ending shitted me off. I also hated the Haremness. Not a fan of them at all.

Couldn't watch FLCL either, though. I thought i was going insane.

AAAhmed46
7th April 09, 09:26 PM
I watched half the first episode and thought it was boring and sucks.

Maybe you'll like the manga better.

It gets REALLLLLLY girly at one point, but still pretty good.

WarPhalange
8th April 09, 04:17 AM
Virus said he would butcher his own daughter if it meant getting a cure for HIV. That might tell you why he thinks a "violent" cartoon is boring.

AAAhmed46
11th April 09, 12:37 AM

Do it.

I liked the art in the intro. Lovely.

NOW READ THE MANGA!