PDA

View Full Version : blacks: off limits?

fes_fsa
25th February 09, 02:48 PM
in the current climate, black people cannot be characterized as apes (that’s racist). they can’t be characterized as stupid (that’s racist). they can’t be characterized as inarticulate (that’s racist). they can’t be characterized as criminally inclined (that’s racist [though true, statistically speaking]).

i’m curious: what characterization of (straight) white people, specifically, is considered unacceptable? in other words, what criticism cannot be leveled against a white person that’s acceptable to level against a black person?

better yet: is there any acceptable way to lampoon any black person at any time, for any reason? ever?

HappyOldGuy
25th February 09, 02:49 PM
Do you actually own a television?

Shawarma
25th February 09, 02:53 PM
How about you lampoon people based on their retarded beliefs rather than their race?

And an unacceptable characterisation of a white person would be as a KKK member choking a negro and shooting a Jew while simultaneously impregnating his sister in the back seat of a pickup truck with a jug of moonshine on the passenger seat, next to the shotgun and confederate flag.

Aphid Jones
25th February 09, 03:09 PM
or as a redneck in general.

fes_fsa
25th February 09, 03:10 PM
How about you lampoon people based on their retarded beliefs rather than their race?

not lampooning them BECAUSE they're black, but lampooning them for anything at all.

HappyOldGuy
25th February 09, 03:12 PM
So just so we're all on the same page. Your contention is that there are no stupid, inarticulate, or criminal black characters on television. Is that right?

fes_fsa
25th February 09, 03:12 PM
or as a redneck in general.

the term redneck is inherently white and it's an acceptable term to use for a white person who is ignorant and uneducated. ANYBODY can say it.

why don't blacks have their own redneck?

Aphid Jones
25th February 09, 03:58 PM
the term redneck is inherently white and it's an acceptable term to use for a white person who is ignorant and uneducated. ANYBODY can say it.

Does this end with you saying it's unfair for black people to have off-limits words?

Zendetta
25th February 09, 04:06 PM
iím curious: what characterization of (straight) white people, specifically, is considered unacceptable?

Not quite what you were looking for, but the thing that is most taboo in my neck of the woods is to insinuate that Western/Euro culture produced anything of value: liberty, freedom of speech/religion, individualism, human rights, gender equality, etc.

The party line is that all white folks are good for is imperialism and oppression.

HappyOldGuy
25th February 09, 04:07 PM
Not quite what you were looking for, but the thing that is most taboo in my neck of the woods is to insinuate that Western/Euro culture produced anything of value: liberty, freedom of speech/religion, individualism, human rights, gender equality, etc.

The party line is that all white folks are good for is imperialism and oppression.

We gotta get you some new friends.

Zendetta
25th February 09, 04:08 PM
the term redneck is inherently white...

Ahem. More cultural sensitivity please. We prefer the term "Necks of Color".

Umm... perhaps you should ask Chris Rock about this.

Neildo
25th February 09, 04:14 PM
i heard there are black rednecks in florida.

EuropIan
25th February 09, 04:18 PM
I think gangsta has a negative connotation.

Spade: The Real Snake
25th February 09, 04:19 PM
Let me commend EVERYONE on the thread for remaining painfully PC thus far.

fes_fsa
25th February 09, 04:23 PM
So just so we're all on the same page. Your contention is that there are no stupid, inarticulate, or criminal black characters on television. Is that right?

where are those characters? comedies, right? played by VERY popular black comedians/actors--it's part of their schtick. it's not racist, you can shrug it off, right?

any serious movies with those characters, or, "hood movies", they're glorified, and are, therefore, not lampooned.

however, a redneck is a redneck is a redneck, no matter what the genre of movie. nobody bats an eyelash, nobody's offended. hahaha. stupid cracker.

fes_fsa
25th February 09, 04:24 PM
Does this end with you saying it's unfair for black people to have off-limits words?

of course it's unfair. but life isn't fair, to begin with.

i want to know when it's okay to lampoon black people.

Zendetta
25th February 09, 04:26 PM
We gotta get you some new friends.

If you are taking requests: hot asian chicks.

Shawarma
25th February 09, 04:30 PM
JM-_KlY5WaE

fes_fsa
25th February 09, 04:34 PM
Umm... perhaps you should ask Chris Rock about this.

another lampoon by a VERY popular black comedian.

we can't say nigger. the N-words get offended.

25th February 09, 04:34 PM
where are those characters? comedies, right? played by VERY popular black comedians/actors--it's part of their schtick. it's not racist, you can shrug it off, right?

any serious movies with those characters, or, "hood movies", they're glorified, and are, therefore, not lampooned.

The Wayans Brothers do it all the time. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116126/)

However, they aren't very funny, in my opinion.

of course it's unfair. but life isn't fair, to begin with.

i want to know when it's okay to lampoon black people.

Whenever you want....or, do you mean without fear of reprocution and persecution?

fes_fsa
25th February 09, 04:37 PM
i know that awareness of cultural insensitivity has been ingrained into American society.... but WTF?

we've got a BLACK President now.

we should be able to look past all the "racism" bullshit and just make with the funny already.

Cullion
25th February 09, 04:50 PM
I've heard white American standup comics make jokes about Black people that would probably get them arrested in the UK, but only on Internet radio or comedy albums broadcast on free music services like last.fm, never in movies or on TV.

Ditto for non-Jews telling jokes about Jews.

25th February 09, 04:50 PM
i know that awareness of cultural insensitivity has been ingrained into American society.... but WTF?

we've got a BLACK President now.

we should be able to look past all the "racism" bullshit and just make with the funny already.

You won't until

1) Victimization is no longer an industry with a large pot of gold at the end of the diversity rainbow

2) The Balance of Power is shifted to the liking of each and every self-proclaimed and self-perceived minority

3) People quit gloming onto the success of the dead ancestors and blaming the failure of their own present existence on someone else's dead ancestors

EuropIan
25th February 09, 05:07 PM
Only the Japanese can be racist

Doritosaurus Chex
25th February 09, 05:33 PM
I think everyone else can be racist. Just not white people.

QzoGuy7vhJI

Robot Jesus
25th February 09, 09:16 PM
there are things I can and cant say about other cultures, only with islam is this a real issue. because In order to get ahead you must learn adobt the speach and dress of the white man. It's when someone is rapping in a burka instead of a suit, thats when I will get worried.

WarPhalange
25th February 09, 11:18 PM
There's a difference between portraying a black person as X and saying that the person is X because he's black.

Show me an example of what you are talking about and I'll be able to tell you more.

25th February 09, 11:23 PM
There's a difference between portraying a black person as X and saying that the person is X because he's black.
Of course there is a difference but it is never perceived that way.

Feelings get hurt and emotions flare up which causes logic and reason to be thrown out the window.

People cannot fathom that they might be poked fun at because they are fucking stupid or not liked based on their own merits, but they have no problem making the leap to deducing a certain word was said or opinion formed strictly because of the melanin content of their skin.

HappyOldGuy
25th February 09, 11:24 PM

Feelings get hurt and emotions flare up which causes logic and reason to be thrown out the window.

People cannot fathom that they might be poked fun at because they are fucking stupid or not liked based on their own merits, but they have no problem making the leap to deducing a certain word was said or opinion formed strictly because of the melanin content of their skin.
Cause they are all oversensitive.

nnww

25th February 09, 11:26 PM
I meant to say "You People"
Sorry.

WarPhalange
25th February 09, 11:45 PM

Stupid is as stupid does. Look at Al Sharpton. You so much as look at a black person in an odd manner and he will be there to call you a spawn of the devil. In this case it's not him that's stupid, but his followers. He knows how to get supporters and get on TV. That's what he does. He's a minister for crying out loud.

But his supporters eat his shit up not bothering to think about all the facts or whether or not the person was fucking joking. Comedy is the one area that should be totally uncensored. The lulz will rule all!

Anyway, that doesn't mean that it's all like that. Racism still exists. Don't fool yourselves by thinking otherwise. Why does it still exist? To make money. Do you think kids would by baggy jeans and long t-shirts if they were told it's nothing special? Not so much. They'd go to Wal-Mart and buy a $20 pair of pants and a t-shirt for $15 instead of spending something like $100 on the whole thing. And who tells them to do this? Of course it's hip hop/rap. Who owns those record companies? Doesn't matter. That's the thing. There are blacks and whites in top offices and all they see is green. Who cares if you are stereotyping kids and making them think that shooting each other up is cool? You want your god damned CD's to sell. It's always about the money. The only people who are racist for the hell of it are rednecks that have nothing better to do.

Harpy
25th February 09, 11:56 PM
It's always about the money. The only people who are racist for the hell of it are rednecks that have nothing better to do.

I agree with most of what you and Snake say, except for the above quote.

I guess people of any skin colour should also stop being so sensitive and paranoid and seeing racism/discrimination in things. However it can be a very personal experience for some or on the other hand, as you mentioned, it can be just mob mentality and believing whatever someone wants a group of people to believe (the individual usually not caring one whit about the 'racism' but instead utilising the emotive response of people to carry them to power/attention etc.).

Dagon Akujin
26th February 09, 01:02 AM
No, seriously. I said WTF at least 50 times. There is no need for your stupid boycott except to show how retarded you are:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tmz.com/media/2009/02/0218_nypost_alsharpton_bn.jpg

WarPhalange
26th February 09, 01:05 AM
I agree with most of what you and Snake say, except for the above quote.

I guess people of any skin colour should also stop being so sensitive and paranoid and seeing racism/discrimination in things. However it can be a very personal experience for some or on the other hand, as you mentioned, it can be just mob mentality and believing whatever someone wants a group of people to believe (the individual usually not caring one whit about the 'racism' but instead utilising the emotive response of people to carry them to power/attention etc.).

Wait, you're actually saying that non-whites can be racist? Wow, is everybody in Australia so bigoted?

Yiktin Voxbane
26th February 09, 01:20 AM
It is since we all got implanted with Government sanctioned Bigot-Chips .

26th February 09, 10:22 AM
Stupid is as stupid does. Look at Al Sharpton. You so much as look at a black person in an odd manner and he will be there to call you a spawn of the devil. In this case it's not him that's stupid, but his followers. He knows how to get supporters and get on TV. That's what he does. He's a minister for crying out loud.

Actually the people that are stupid are the companies who allow themselves to be held hostage by the Sensitivity Police for Feelings Ransom.

There is no way a large corporation should give "Go-Away Now" money to any organization who threatens with a boycott unless there has been a clear and documented history of current discrimination and bigotry by that company to its current employees.

To continue to do so will weaken and undermine the legitimate attempts for other organizations to enact real structured change and instead create a "Cry Wolf" atmosphere.

TM
26th February 09, 11:11 AM

And an unacceptable characterisation of a white person would be as a KKK member choking a negro and shooting a Jew while simultaneously impregnating his sister in the back seat of a pickup truck with a jug of moonshine on the passenger seat, next to the shotgun and confederate flag.

You've been to my childhood hometown!

Sun Wukong
26th February 09, 03:43 PM

See, depending on the redneck, you might get a lot of laughs out of that one.

Kiko
26th February 09, 03:50 PM
There's a difference between observation/criticism and joking. If humour isn't mean spirited, usually it's kinda fair game for those who make their living amusing us. Journalists don't have it so easy. Sorry, they're not there to entertain the same way, they're supposed to be INFORMING us even with the 24/7 newsertainment. Political commentary is the same. It's a fine line and as much as there's the right to make a statement, someone always has the right to be offended. That doesn't mean the offended's right overshadows anyone elses freedom to speak/write.

EuropIan
26th February 09, 04:06 PM
3y-cxdruYQc

vs.

20a-exAW6qc

Sun Wukong
26th February 09, 04:17 PM
ian's on a roll today, i think.

Dagon Akujin
26th February 09, 09:29 PM
I am not making this up, and I've been a bit uneasy about this behavior, but I hear it all the time now. These are some of the things I've heard out of my black students in 7th and 8th grade. And they say them to me and the other adults:

"There are too many black kids at this school. That's why we get in trouble."

"They only get in trouble 'cause they're black. White kids wouldn't do that."

"I'm leaving this school 'cause of the black kids. I need to go to a white school."

"White people know how to behave. Black people are dumb."

"They only act that way because they are black."

"If I were white I wouldn't do that."

"I wish I were white so I wouldn't be retarded."

"Black people are loud."

"White kids know but I don't."

Of course, they are laughing and playing around when they say this stuff, but I think it goes a bit deeper. I don't really know what it's about though, other than to guess that the African-American culture in this country is having some very serious self-esteem issues right now. And I can't just say it's because the kids saying this are 12. Obviously they are getting those ideas from somewhere else too.

Zendetta
27th February 09, 12:27 PM
^^^ ouch.

I'm always saddened by the whole "educated/behaved = Acting White" dynamic.

Its especially painful given that, once upon a time in the South you could get publicly flogged for teaching a black man to read. To people like WEB Dubois, getting educated was pretty much the blackest thing you could do.

This is the kind of social reality that inspired the Return of the King episode of Boondocks.

fes_fsa
27th February 09, 12:31 PM
is it safe to say that education was only hip to them when it was considered a crime?

Zendetta
27th February 09, 12:44 PM
LOL! No, but its safe to say you are an ruthless, evil, cold-hearted Biznatch.

Please don't change.