PDA

View Full Version : The Oscars left me thinking...

Halfrican
24th February 09, 12:46 AM
Thinking about all the great acting performances I have ever seen. I am kind of a movie addict, I love to watch any movie and rate it on imdb, I have at least half of that site rated by now. BUT, what is the best acting performance I have ever seen? It's so broad, and so hard to think about...

What do you think is the greatest acting performance you have seen thus far?

I have to go with Robert DeNiro in Raging Bull.

My instincts tell me James Earl Jones as Darth Vader in the Empire Strikes Back, BUT he didn't have to do any physical acting. However, that is as good as it gets in terms of voice acting.

WarPhalange
24th February 09, 12:50 AM
Keanaeiouy Reaves in The Matrix, def. Did you see how fast he was moving his arms???

Steve
24th February 09, 02:34 AM
Sorry to be a sap, but Tom Hanks did pretty good in Forrest Gump. Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man also comes to mind (did it first anyway).

Ooh, Harvey Keitel for Bad Lieutenant and Dennis Hopper for Blue Velvet also come to mind. So I guess I like sappy movies or really fucked up ones. :/

Shawarma
24th February 09, 06:38 AM
Peter Lorre in M is the one that springs to my mind, but then again, I haven't seen it for about seven years. Maybe I remember him as being better than he really was.

EuropIan
24th February 09, 07:25 AM
Usually when you see actors in movies, they are usually playing themselves as a character developing an iconic style (examples of this would be Scwarznegger, Deniro, Pacino), there is nothing wrong with this and I enjoy it a great deal.

I think it's an important criteria for a truly good performance would be to forget who the actor is. ie. Not being able to differentiate between him and the character.

So for this year I would say Robert Downey jr. in Tropical Thunder.

Sun Wukong
24th February 09, 08:02 AM
Sorry to be a sap, but Tom Hanks did pretty good in Forrest Gump. Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man also comes to mind (did it first anyway).

See, never go full-tard. Only go half-tard and you can't go wrong.

Kein Haar
24th February 09, 09:26 AM
"Show me how you suck a guy's cock!"

partyboy
24th February 09, 09:34 AM
See, never go full-tard. Only go half-tard and you can't go wrong.

"everybody knows you never go full retard"

Scrapper
24th February 09, 10:31 AM
I am a huge fan of Brandon Lee in "The Crow."

You forget that he's Bruce Lee's son and just get absorbed in the character. He did a great job with the whole Crazy/angry/sad dissonance that's so integral to O'Barr's creation. Just a hell of a job from an otherwise forgettable actor.

Hugo Weaving in "V for Vendetta" because he did it all with body language and inflection. That's just hard to do.

Marlon Brando in "On the Waterfront." Just classic brilliance.

Gary Oldman in "Leon: the Professional." Possibly the greatest portrayal of chaotic evil evar.

Charlton Heston in "El Cid." Just a perfect portayal.

Artful Dentures
24th February 09, 11:54 AM
Peter Sellers in Dr. Strange Love and in Being there.

As a comedic actor he gets over looked but the guy was absolutely brilliant,.

A serious point look at the Pink Panther, it takes a special type of talent to pull that slapstick off.

His Clouseau never, ever, ever broke character as someone who never saw themselves as funny. It's actually very hard to do, compare his Clouseau to the shit Steve Martin (who in fact is a good actor) is doing.

And again I don't think anyone else could have made "The Party" work

Steve
24th February 09, 12:21 PM
I am a huge fan of Brandon Lee in "The Crow."

You forget that he's Bruce Lee's son and just get absorbed in the character. He did a great job with the whole Crazy/angry/sad dissonance that's so integral to O'Barr's creation. Just a hell of a job from an otherwise forgettable actor.

Agreed. You should see my thread where I said he could have been the Joker. Hell, he had the face paint and everything first, quality work.

Scrapper
24th February 09, 01:48 PM
Hmm... I have to disagree on 'the crow' thing. I think Brandon really hams it up and over/under acts in almost every scene. I liked everything about the crow except him. Every scene where he has more than a tough guy line... Terrible

rs5DnWc1igo

Have you read the graphic novel?

Eric is written kinda hurky-jerky. Sometimes sentimental, sometimes goofy, sometimes melancholy, often angry.

He has a soft spot for the little girl, and lets her believe he is a clown and not a revenant bent on vengeance.

I think Lee managed that dissonance as well as anybody could without the help of india ink and soft lead pencil.

EuropIan
24th February 09, 01:56 PM
Andy Serkis as Smeagol

HappyOldGuy
24th February 09, 02:03 PM
Usually when you see actors in movies, they are usually playing themselves as a character developing an iconic style (examples of this would be Scwarznegger, Deniro, Pacino), there is nothing wrong with this and I enjoy it a great deal.

I think it's an important criteria for a truly good performance would be to forget who the actor is. ie. Not being able to differentiate between him and the character.

So for this year I would say Robert Downey jr. in Tropical Thunder.

If that's your criteria, I think the most batfuck insane transformation I've ever seen would have to be Charlize Theron in Monster.

Shawarma
24th February 09, 02:46 PM
How about Brad Pitt in Snatch, then? From Hollywood superhunk to shit-encrusted pikey bareknuckle boxing champion.

EuropIan
24th February 09, 02:48 PM
Charlize Theron in Monster.

Good choice. She made everyone else look like an extra in comparison.

EuropIan
24th February 09, 02:52 PM
How about Brad Pitt in Snatch, then? From Hollywood superhunk to shit-encrusted pikey bareknuckle boxing champion.
No, that was Brad Pitt with a funny accent.

Halfrican
24th February 09, 02:56 PM
Brad Pitt in Snatch was in fact, fucking awesome

Artful Dentures
24th February 09, 03:10 PM
Brad Pitt in Snatch was awesome

However he was Brad Pitt with a funny accent

Tanhalen21
24th February 09, 03:57 PM
Malcolm McDowell as Alex DeLarge in A Clockwork Orange
Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood
Edward Norton in American History X
Al Pacino in A Dog Day Afternoon
Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now
Dustin Hoffman in Straw Dogs

And in the only role that I have ever enjoyed by him,
Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket

Off the top of my head

Robot Jesus
24th February 09, 07:58 PM
NPH in starship troopers

Scrapper
24th February 09, 08:55 PM
Any chance synchronization with the intent of the comic book was from ineptitude rather than acting chops. Have you seen any of his other movies?

I'm not bringing up "Lazer Mission" here, but I'll not listen to anyone bad mouth "Showdown in Little Tokyo."

Dolph Lundgren, Tia Carrere, Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa, AND Brandon Lee? That is a lot of awesome crammed into one little movie!

I think that for whatever reason, Brandon carried the Eric Draven character perfectly; and I saw the movie BEFORE I read the comic.

Artful Dentures
25th February 09, 02:12 AM
Robert Shaw as Quint in Jaws is a great performance.

His scene where he describes his experience of being in shark infested waters after delivering the bomb is especially memorable/

Truculent Sheep
25th February 09, 04:20 AM
Brad Pitt in Snatch was awesome

However he was Brad Pitt with a funny accent

I'm surprised Alan Ford ('Bricktop') doesn't get more love.

'No thanks, Turkish... I'm sweet enough.'

Arhetton
25th February 09, 06:04 AM
the oscars left me thinking that hugh jackman is a raging hom.

Marrt
25th February 09, 08:08 AM
wooooo... newsflash

billy sol hurok
25th February 09, 09:47 AM
Seeing as how Steve* hadda go and shut down JP's perfiklee good Mickey Rourke thread over at BS, this would be the place to mention Mickey's performance in "Barfly."

First time I saw him was in "Body Heat," which he completely stole:

eLAbh_LceNw

---------------
(I don't hate mods -- I just feel better when they're not around.)

OZZ
25th February 09, 10:39 AM
This is the sort of question which is easier to answer in a fair manner if you at least divide the films into genres..

DeNiro in Raging Bull is definitely one of the best..
Another one that I gained a lot of appreciation for after seeing it recently is Steve McQueen's performance in Papillon.

For Horror films I like Jack Nicholson's protrayal of Jack Torrance in The Shining..Gary Oldman was fantastic in Bram Stoker's Dracula too, though.

OZZ
25th February 09, 11:39 AM
Seeing as how Steve* hadda go and shut down JP's perfiklee good Mickey Rourke thread over at BS, this would be the place to mention Mickey's performance in "Barfly."

First time I saw him was in "Body Heat," which he completely stole:

eLAbh_LceNw

---------------
(I don't hate mods -- I just feel better when they're not around.)

Steve did what?

Mickey Rourke has always been a favorite of mine..and Barfly is one of his best.
He's quite good in Rumble Fish too..The Wrestler put him back on the map and rightfully so. He's straightened himself out learned not to hate the world so much.

billy sol hurok
25th February 09, 12:37 PM
Steve did what?

I kid . . . (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81569)

Mickey Rourke has always been a favorite of mine..and Barfly is one of his best.
He's quite good in Rumble Fish too..The Wrestler put him back on the map and rightfully so. He's straightened himself out learned not to hate the world so much.
Or, to hate it more effectively.

Either way, we fans win.

Now I might have to take another look at "Pope of Greenwich Village" (which was by my recollection a nasty little film) for the Eric Roberts nexis. Pruning shears FTW.

Artful Dentures
25th February 09, 04:48 PM
Mickey Rourke actually made his comeback as Marv

7juiT146L9c

mrblackmagic
26th February 09, 12:56 PM
How fuck can a "best performance evar" thread go this long and not have Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter?

OZZ
26th February 09, 06:28 PM
Once you have done masterful Shakespearean performances on stage,playing a deranged killer like 'Hannibal the Cannibal' is a piece of cake, really.
He's terrific in The Elephant Man. I really liked him in that.

Spade: The Real Snake
26th February 09, 06:43 PM
Mickey Rourke actually made his comeback as Marv

7juiT146L9c

I will go one sooner:

Once Upon A Time In Mexico paved his way for Marv.

DeNiro in Raging Bull was the epitome of method acting and getting so into a role, DeNiro was said to have been ready to actually step into the ring, by LaMotta himself.

mrblackmagic
28th February 09, 04:51 PM
Once you have done masterful Shakespearean performances on stage,playing a deranged killer like 'Hannibal the Cannibal' is a piece of cake, really.
He's terrific in The Elephant Man. I really liked him in that.

If you're talking about Brian Cox's performance as Hannibal, I would agree.

28th February 09, 11:11 PM
If you're talking about Brian Cox's performance as Hannibal, I would agree.

Manhunter was pretty much superior to Red Dragon in every manner.

OZZ
1st March 09, 12:18 AM
Manhunter was pretty much superior to Red Dragon in every manner.

Except for budget and filming..there are several blatant mistakes in that film (check out the overhanging microphone in the scene where they are all sitting in that conference room). Also, the scene where Tom Noonan gets wasted is terrible, choppy filming..ruined the best scene.
I really do like it though.

mrblackmagic
1st March 09, 10:36 AM
They wanted to make up for the "cute" Lecter in Hannibal. Hiring Bret Radner to "make up" for a bad job isn't really a good idea.

I liked both for different reasons. Red Dragon was a cheesy Saturday afternoon movie and Manhunter was good 80's thriller.

1st March 09, 10:54 AM
Except for budget and filming..there are several blatant mistakes in that film (check out the overhanging microphone in the scene where they are all sitting in that conference room). Also, the scene where Tom Noonan gets wasted is terrible, choppy filming..ruined the best scene.
I really do like it though.

Blame the editing on TV Miami Vice era Michael Mann.

I see this being redone by a post-Heat Mann quite differently....even though he did the film version of Miami Vice, too.