PDA

View Full Version : Free to let: my p3nis... (and this room)

partyboy
15th February 09, 07:51 PM
Rental crisis sees online advertisements offer free rooms in exchange for sex

SLEAZY men are taking advantage of Sydney's rental crisis by placing online advertisements offering women free rooms in exchange for sex.

The zero-rent ads, targeting desperate women looking for somewhere to live, are becoming increasingly common on popular "share house'' rental websites.

Although there have been numerous complaints about the ads, which some website users have dubbed "offensive'', they do not breach policy guidelines for sites such as flatmates.com.au

A statement on flatmates.com.au says that if the site were to impose a ban, the ads would merely go underground, making the process unsafe for women.

One advertisement offering free rent for a female to "share a room'' was placed by a 32-year-old Auburn man calling himself Atiq.

Atiq told The Sunday Telegraph he was looking for a relationship with a woman in a "clean'' one-bedroom unit.

"Yes, I am alone and the rent would be free. I am looking for a girl to share my room and, yes, in the same bed,'' he said.

Atiq said he had migrated from Pakistan eight months ago and that a friend had placed the ad for him.

"I'm not that kind of person,'' he said. "But, yes, it would possibly involve sex.''

Atiq said a number of women had responded to the ad but he had not yet found anyone suitable.
A similar ad on flatmates.com.au read: "$0 to share flat, wanted flatmate/girlfriend to share unit in Griffith, ACT.

"Free accommodation in exchange for relationship.''

Another ad, for a Melbourne townhouse, offered "free rent for someone special: instead of rent, I am looking for someone to help me with certain needs/requirements on a regular basis''.

After complaints, flatmates.com.au issued a statement on why it continued to run such ads.

"Sometimes, it's pretty clear it's for sex,'' the statement said.

"Yes - there is a rental crisis. We have had a few complaints about these ads.

"Our policy is to let them stay, on the basis it's better for these ads to be upfront with what they are offering than disguise the offer.''

Gumtrees.com.au did not respond to The Sunday Telegraph's inquiries.

Flatmates.com.au is Australia's biggest free "share house'' website. Most of its users are aged between 18 and 29.

http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,28323,25056894-5013951,00.html

----------------------------------------------------------

So my spare bedroom is going to be free in a month... any takers?

Really, though, I'd rather just take the rent money... it's usually cheaper than having a girl around. As for the guys that do this: nice play but I think you can do better. And what's stopping these girls from just robbing you blind the first chance they get?

Harpy
15th February 09, 08:14 PM
Yes there is a rental crisis in Sydney but this is beyond retarded.

I can't imagine the danger single women are putting themselves in if they are stupid enough to respond to these ads. This is pretty disgusting, I mean would any of you guys do this just to get sex? Points at being a real low life/sleaze bucket.

Plus what sort of rights does the renter have if they don't want to put out? There is no 'contract' and allowing this advertising is hopefully going to get that website shut down.

danno
15th February 09, 09:33 PM
my girlfriend and i went looking for a new place on the weekend in sydney, found exactly what we wanted, and just put the deposit in today. there was one other indian couple at the inspection on saturday. the real estate agent was an older white australian so i assumed she wouldn't like foreigners very much. after talking to her today i found out this was in fact the case. and we're in like flynn.

i'm not sure if it's as hard to find a place as everyone is making it out to be. unless you want 3 bedrooms overlooking the harbour bridge.

if you're wondering, the place is in concord west, which isn't really that far out of the city.

Robot Jesus
15th February 09, 10:21 PM
I was under the impression that this is somewhat common in manhatten, but the girl gets a stipend as well to act as a maid; and not a small stipend.

the danger of that notwithstanding I cant see anything wrong with it. It just contractualizes what wealthy men do anyway. but for just rent that just cheap.

Harpy
15th February 09, 10:25 PM
You don't see a danger in it?!!!!!

What if the agreement/contract stated 'payment' once a fortnight. What if the girl says 'no' and the guy decides that he's going to get his due anyway? I could see this getting out of hand quite easily.

Spade: The Real Snake
15th February 09, 11:19 PM
You just had to fucking use the word "fortnight", didn't you?

Tanhalen21
15th February 09, 11:22 PM
Oooh wahhh women should know how to fucking handle themselves.

This isn't a problem unless anyone is enough of a fucking dumbass to actually do it

WarPhalange
15th February 09, 11:22 PM
Wow, Australia is really giving Japan a run for it's money in terms of weird shit involving sex.

danno
15th February 09, 11:33 PM
You just had to fucking use the word "fortnight", didn't you?

ay? i don't get it.

15th February 09, 11:34 PM
ay? i don't get it.

Lily just LOVES using "Fortnight" instead of "2 weeks".

danno
15th February 09, 11:50 PM
oh. but you see, pretty much everyone i know does. not the norm where you're from?

WarPhalange
16th February 09, 12:09 AM
No, we left the 1700's about 200 years ago.

Harpy
16th February 09, 12:11 AM
Nothing is normal where aardvarks is from.

My problem with this situation, who puts the value on what? Lets say you rent out your apartment for services (eg. ironing, cleaning, sex), how much is each service worth and does the renter have to do x amount of tasks at a certain value to outweigh the cost to the owner of not getting cash?

Or does a 'service' become more valuable than a cash payment because the owner probably could not get it so easily (ironing ladies are hard to come by)?

danno
16th February 09, 12:16 AM
it's prostitution, and a very confused form of it. there are many potential problems here.

danno
16th February 09, 12:21 AM

and you've been mutilating the english language ever since!

Harpy
16th February 09, 12:22 AM
Do you think our local consumer watchdogs, ACCC etc. would be interested in the website?

Harpy
16th February 09, 12:24 AM

Yanks being Yanks, trying to be original but instead failing supremely.

Tanhalen21
16th February 09, 01:30 AM

PHYSICS MAJOR MATH FAIL

danno
16th February 09, 02:55 AM
can't believe i didn't notice that.

nice one, poops.

Neildo
16th February 09, 03:10 AM
i dont get it.

1799 -> 2009 = 210 years. he said 'about'.

also, lolstralians.

however, i know a few people that are sleeping with their opposite sex roommates, but that is usually circumstantial and happens after they moved in.

i wonder why nobody is doing this on craigslist here. sounds like something you'd see there.

WarPhalange
16th February 09, 03:17 AM
1799 + 200 = 1999

i dont get it.

1799 -> 2009 = 210 years. he said 'about'.

Exactly.

danno
16th February 09, 04:13 AM
scoundrels, the lot of you!

sochin101
16th February 09, 08:59 AM
I think any woman stupid enough to essentially sell herself into sexual slavery (or not notice that's exactly what they are doing) needs a kick in the minge.

16th February 09, 09:42 AM
Nothing is normal where aardvarks is from.

My problem with this situation, who puts the value on what? Lets say you rent out your apartment for services (eg. ironing, cleaning, sex), how much is each service worth and does the renter have to do x amount of tasks at a certain value to outweigh the cost to the owner of not getting cash?

Or does a 'service' become more valuable than a cash payment because the owner probably could not get it so easily (ironing ladies are hard to come by)?

Put out or be put out honey, your choice.

Not like the fucking ad was ambiguous.

Harpy
16th February 09, 05:24 PM
Come here and say that.

My younger sister and I just bought an investment property, I wonder if we can rent it out for non-cash payments...

danno
16th February 09, 05:34 PM
and the crowd goes wild!

16th February 09, 05:39 PM
Come here and say that.

My younger sister and I just bought an investment property, I wonder if we can rent it out for non-cash payments...

I am sure that is what you are banking on.

Wounded Ronin
16th February 09, 06:46 PM
LOL, just be as fat and gross as possible when moving in.

Harpy
16th February 09, 06:50 PM
From the article:

Atiq said a number of women had responded to the ad but he had not yet found anyone suitable.

Therefore it would behoove you to look your best if you're looking for a rent-free apartment.

16th February 09, 07:02 PM
Therefore it would behoove you to look your best if you're looking for a rent-free apartment.

Don't think of it as a housing interview, think of it as a first date.

So shave and wear your finest knickers.

Harpy
16th February 09, 07:22 PM
I own my own place. My younger sister and I are looking for a renter for my investment property.

Conditions:
Dark haired
20-40 years old
BMI < 27
Between 5'10" and 6'2"
Cooks well and looks good in an apron
Not on medication/drugs
Not in wheelchair

Willing to clean and cook to stay in brand new 2 bedroom apartment rent-free.

Please provide reference from previous landlord and send to [email protected]

danno
16th February 09, 07:41 PM
dammit, if only i could cook.

WarPhalange
16th February 09, 08:18 PM
If I may, let me make some changes. (BTW Phrost, how do you strike-out text? I still can't figure it out. I strike [strike], <strike>, <s>. I saw you do it once. What am I doing wrong?)

I am looking for a renter for my investment property.

Conditions:
Dark haired
20-40 years old
BMI < 27
Between 5'10" and 6'2"
Not on medication/drugs
Not in wheelchair

Male

Makes it more lulzy.

partyboy
16th February 09, 09:11 PM
6'2" and a bmi < 27?? what kind of f'ing twig are you trying to find?

Harpy
16th February 09, 09:30 PM
partyboy - A 6'2" guy who is just under a BMI of 27 could weigh up to 92kg (202lb)! That is no twig.

Look, I'm just joking! We've found a couple to rent the place and they are paying us MONEY.

Dark Helmet
16th February 09, 11:26 PM
This is pretty disgusting, I mean would any of you guys do this just to get sex?

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/6605/122880793761za8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

17th February 09, 08:06 AM
I own my own place. My younger sister and I are looking for a renter for my investment property.

Conditions:
Dark haired
20-40 years old
BMI < 27
Between 5'10" and 6'2"
Not on medication/drugs
Not in wheelchair

So you want Toby?

By his grinning fatly picture he is not in a wheelchair (or had someone prop him up against the fence) and by his posts he isn't on medication (though he should be)

Shawarma
17th February 09, 08:32 AM
Idiot. She put No Wheelchair in to disqualify him specifically. She could just as well have put in "Housemate wanted, no angsty cripples need apply."

17th February 09, 08:36 AM
But again, he is propped up against a fence or put an old rake up his ass to keep him upright.

Clever that one.

Frank White
17th February 09, 04:08 PM
these "sugar daddy" arrangements are ideal for women who sometimes need to survive, and instead of turning tricks with several men in order to pay rent, they deal with one person, a person they know how to deal with, and where they live. If it doesn't suit them, it's back to square one.

Some women look for love, some just want someone to take care of them. It can be the same for men sometimes. Look at the handsome gent with the unattactive girlfriend, and ask yourself what it is he is getting from the relationship. When you are faced with sleeping on a park bench for the night, the fat chick becomes " cuddley".

EuropIan
17th February 09, 04:14 PM
Yeah, but guys get the use the slightly cooler word "gigolo".

Well, at least until someone mentions man-whore.

Cullion
17th February 09, 04:25 PM
Yes there is a rental crisis in Sydney but this is beyond retarded.

I can't imagine the danger single women are putting themselves in if they are stupid enough to respond to these ads.

Yeah, they might have to have sex with a stranger without drinking themselves into an oblivion first and giving a false phone number the next morning. Oh the humanity!

This is pretty disgusting, I mean would any of you guys do this just to get sex? Points at being a real low life/sleaze bucket.

The only guys here hard up enough to need to, still live with their folks.

Plus what sort of rights does the renter have if they don't want to put out?

Let's get down to business.

No contract, and no money changing hands would legally make them a guest. You can evict a guest when you want. If they don't want to put out and the advert was up front about the quid-pro-quo required, then to accept the room and then strap on the chastity belt is to commit fraud.

Let's be clear about this. A woman entering into such a contract is a consenting prostitute. Unless it's a very fine penthouse with a view of the bay, she is almost certainly selling herself than much less on a per-hour basis than even a relatively skanky street-walker.

There are a few reasons why her market value may be so low:-

i) She's quite willing to be a prostitute, but is really, really sexually unattractive to the average man. She can't even find a niche in the fatties/masked dominatrix market. She's therefore likely to get turned down by a lot of the advertisers.

ii) She's willing to be a prostitute, and has the looks, but is desperately short of working capital and needs to play for time. She'll try several of the adverts until she finds the best balance between least-physically-repellent, nicest apartment and easiest-to-manipulate amongst the guys, move in and move on to phase II of her plan to make it as a self-employed working girl.

iii) Despite being willing to enter into business negotiations over sex, she doesn't like the risk or social stigma attached to being a real, successful prostitute with multiple clients. She believes that sleeping with just one stranger will be less likely to result in beatings or venereal disease, easier to conceal as prostitution from her friends and family and perhaps easier to rationalise to herself as having found a 'white knight' willing to care for her during hard times.

That last clause is simultaneously the saddest and funniest thing I've written for some time.

There is no 'contract' and allowing this advertising is hopefully going to get that website shut down.

Don't you have online prostitution adverts in Australia? What law is being broken here exactly?

Harpy
17th February 09, 04:31 PM
So would you judge men as harshly if they are looking for a free rental and would pay with sexual favours?

Also, I don't know what sort of women many of you guys know to have such a cynical view of them.

EuropIan
17th February 09, 04:37 PM
see the "man-whore" word.

Cullion
17th February 09, 04:38 PM
No, I wouldn't judge a man or a woman harshly at all, unless they applied for lots of ads and none of the 'landlords' wanted them, then I would laugh.

In the rest of the world young urban women who consider applying for 'room in return for sex adverts' are just less pure and self-reliant than the ones who do that in Australia, don't worry about it.

Harpy
17th February 09, 04:39 PM
This whole concept makes me a little sad that people would barter their body just for a roof over their head.

EuropIan
17th February 09, 04:42 PM
I'm having a misogynygasm

Cullion
17th February 09, 04:45 PM
This whole concept makes me a little sad that people would barter their body just for a roof over their head.

It's only sex. Think of the poor bastards who give their minds away in some office.

Harpy
17th February 09, 04:51 PM
Only sex? I think it has to do a lot with one's self-esteem and ethics. Plus of more concern is the safety factor, there are enough stories in the papers about university students boarding with strangers, being found murdered/raped weeks later.

Cullion
17th February 09, 04:52 PM
Only sex? I think it has to do a lot with one's self-esteem and ethics.

Please explain.

Plus of more concern is the safety factor, there are enough stories in the papers about university students boarding with strangers, being found murdered/raped weeks later.

Not that many though. Most are fine. They might even make a new friend and have some fun.

Harpy
17th February 09, 04:57 PM
Do you have a female friend/relative you're very close to Cullion? What would you say to her if she went into such an arrangement with a stranger?

Cullion
17th February 09, 05:00 PM
Do you have a female friend/relative you're very close to Cullion? What would you say to her if she went into such an arrangement with a stranger?

I'd start by ask her about why first. Pretend you're her.

Harpy
17th February 09, 05:11 PM
Why pretend?

Also, I hate you.

Cullion
17th February 09, 05:23 PM
Sorry mom

Harpy
17th February 09, 05:34 PM
Sorry mom

Now the truth comes to light, so your mother abandoned you so she could live in rent-free homes all over the UK and you blame her for your emotional overeating and silk pyjama wearing.

HappyOldGuy
17th February 09, 05:35 PM
Why pretend?

Also, I hate you.

For some reason this made me think of this.

http://www.goyk.com/video.asp?path=2277

NSFW (mildly)

Cullion
17th February 09, 05:36 PM
I don't wear silk pyjamas.

sochin101
18th February 09, 05:38 AM

How far removed is it from marrying for money?

HappyOldGuy
18th February 09, 11:52 AM
How far removed is it from marrying for money?
With marraige, there is more of a paper trail tieing you to the girl when she vanishes while "visiting relatives in vancouver."