PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's Meal Advice

Feryk
10th February 09, 03:42 PM
Alright, I know that Sociocide has a bunch of closet foodies, and I need your help.

I'm making my wife a Valentines' Day dinner, and I know what the entree will be.

I have a bunch of scallops the size of hockey pucks. I'm wrapping them in maple smoked bacon (mmmm, bacon!), and they will be our main course. I'm serving them with rice.

Chardonnay will be the vino of choice. I'm open to recommendations.

I also need a vegetable of some kind (Toby doesn't count), and a dessert.

Suggestions?

Harpy
10th February 09, 04:05 PM
Roasted vegetable skewers with a dash of olive oil (season to taste)

Dessert - what does your wife like? Any allergies?

Feryk
10th February 09, 05:12 PM
Roasted Veggie skewers sounds great. Thanks for the idea.

Allergies - no food. She likes creamy things. And chocolate.

Dark Helmet
10th February 09, 05:36 PM
You're having trouble chosing a vegetable? I would chose stuffed Jalapenos with Feta cheese as an entree myself.

Harpy
10th February 09, 05:40 PM
I like veg skewers as they are colourful, you can throw together some interesting combinations and it is so easy (chop up various vegetables into chunks, stick in oven tray, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle sea salt...roast for 20 minutes). Thread on skewers and keep in oven so they remain warm. Plus I think they will balance out that main meal of yours...

Quick dessert recipes because who wants to be slaving away at the stove?

http://www.cuisine.com.au/recipe/Chocolate-budino-with-vanilla-foam

http://www.cuisine.com.au/recipe/Zabaglione-with-chocolate

http://www.cuisine.com.au/recipe/chocolate-and-vanilla-puddings

Robot Jesus
10th February 09, 05:47 PM
for an app. i would sugest oysters on the half shell.

chocolate mousse is a good choice for dessert because you do it hours ahead of time.

* 6 ounces semisweet baking chocolate, chopped
* 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
* 3 eggs, separated*
* 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
* 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
* 1/2 cup heavy cream, cold
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* Whipped cream and chocolate shavings, for garnish

Directions

Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and place over a saucepan containing barely simmering water (or use a double boiler). Melt the chocolate and butter together and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Add the egg yolks to the chocolate, 1 by 1, beating with a whisk until incorporated. Set aside.

In another bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat. Gradually whisk in 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.

Beat heavy cream in a chilled bowl until it begins to foam and thicken up. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and vanilla. Continue to whip the cream until it holds soft peaks.

Gradually and gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Then, delicately fold in the whipped cream. Take care not over work the mousse. Divide mousse into 4 individual glasses. Cover and chill for several hours. Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings before serving.

also get some sparkleing wine, the italians make some good stuff.

sochin101
10th February 09, 05:54 PM
Ooh! My favourite Greek place in Corfu served those roasted veggie things.

I heartily concur.

Most heartily.

Cullion
10th February 09, 06:27 PM
I also need a vegetable of some kind (Toby doesn't count), and a dessert.

Suggestions?

If you want some greens with the skewers you could pick a light chinese recipe for bok choy or broccoli.

Rice, roast vegetables and seafood are a reasonably light combo so you could do a heavy desert if she's into it.

Cook a home made cherry pie?

Harpy
10th February 09, 06:47 PM
If you want some greens with the skewers you could pick a light chinese recipe for bok choy or broccoli.

Don't make me like you!!!

Equipoise
10th February 09, 07:35 PM
Careful with the Scallops and the bacon. People tend to overcook or under cook one of the two.

I'd go with a Sauvignon Blanc if you want to be taken seriously with the food. You're not going to want the general sweetness you find in a Chardonnay. You can generally get a decent SB that has a citrus-esque snap to it that'll go well with your fish.

As for the dessert, get a Tiramisu from your local bakery and plate it. Pastry chef'ing sucks and is a lot of work.

Aaranar
10th February 09, 08:57 PM
Desert heh
Diabetic recipe, but it's good

Dreamsicle Pie ( and yes, it tastes just like a dreamsicle )

1 8oz fat-free cream cheese
dash of vanilla
1 large container frozen light topping (12oz)
1 small sugar-free orange gelatin
1 small can pineapple tidbits
1 small can mandarin orange slices
1 low-fat graham cracker crust

Prep

Cream the cream cheese, then cream together 2/3 of the container frozen topping with the creamed cream cheese. Blend until smooth. Add dash of vanilla and mix. Sprinkle envelope of sugar-free orange gelatin over mixture and blend. When completed smooth and creamy, fold in cans of drained pineapple and drained mandarin orange slices. Put mixture into pie shell and refrigerate for several hours. Top with remainder of thawed frozen topping and serve.

Harpy
10th February 09, 10:15 PM
You people are NOT listening, she likes chocolate and cream!

Equipoise
10th February 09, 10:47 PM
Tiramisu...again.

Harpy
10th February 09, 11:27 PM
Except you, you listened.

Also for those cooking Valentine's Day meals, ummm...wouldn't you want to keep the meals generally light if you have other plans after the meal?

Equipoise
10th February 09, 11:50 PM
You could space it out.

Have a small bottle of red with the Tiramisu/other chocolate based desert about an hour or so after the meal. Then move directly into alcohol/chocolate fueled sex.

Robot Jesus
11th February 09, 01:37 AM
You people are NOT listening, she likes chocolate and cream!

i thought you said raw eggs

Feryk
11th February 09, 12:53 PM
Thank you all for the advice.

Equipoise- great point about the bacon and scallops. I've done it before, and there is a bit of a trick to it. Also, I do intend to space out the meal a bit. The kids are at their grandparents place, so there is no need to rush. My wife is not a big white wine fan, but your point is well taken. I'll put some more thought into the wine selection.

Lily - I'm going to go with the vanilla foam/chocolate recipe. I have some awesome chocolate, so this gives me an excuse to use it up. Thank you.

Aaranar - keeping the Dreamsicle recipe for another occasion. Looks good, but my kids would love that too.

RJ - Raw eggs are definitely for a different occasion. :) Thanks for your input.

I will let you all know how it goes.

Sun Wukong
11th February 09, 01:20 PM
most importantly, eat at the Y.

Kein Haar
11th February 09, 01:59 PM
Oh for god's sake...

Kiko
11th February 09, 02:43 PM
I'd saute the scallops instead. Gently maybe with some sherry and herbs.

Veggie has to be asparagus with hollandaise.

Chocolate dipped strawberries or do the fondue thing and feed them to each other.

Maybe even drop the wine and go for champagne?

Equipoise
11th February 09, 03:43 PM
Sherry? Why?

Also he's going to find a better quality red wine for cheaper than Champagne or a sparkling wine. Also red wine goes better with chocolate and is going to have more of a sultry effect.

I guess it goes to personal taste for that. I enjoy the sultry or carnal sex versus the loving/passionate crap.

Kiko
11th February 09, 03:46 PM
Dunno why. Something else then. I used it with some tiny frozen scallops (yes I know, way different) and I though it complemented the sweetness.

I enjoy red too, but in that case, gimme filet mignon.

Or maybe do both.

Cullion
11th February 09, 04:27 PM
He should serve the scallops with a reasonable Alsace Riesling.

Equipoise
11th February 09, 05:35 PM
That's almost as bad as the Sherry. Geez.

EuropIan
11th February 09, 05:38 PM
Well he seems to want a sweet wine of some sort.

Harpy
11th February 09, 05:46 PM
Kiko - as nice as that menu sounds its so 'been there done that'.

Also can someone stop Equipoise talking about carnal sex before I throw up? Please?!

Harpy
11th February 09, 05:46 PM
Drink of choice...whiskey.

Feryk
11th February 09, 05:48 PM
Good idea. I'll see if we have any at the local Wine store.

Cullion
11th February 09, 05:51 PM
That's almost as bad as the Sherry. Geez.

What are you talking about ? Alsace Rieslings aren't sweet.

Equipoise
11th February 09, 06:41 PM
Neither are all Sherries.

Also can someone stop Equipoise talking about carnal sex before I throw up? Please?!

I mentioned it once and it was germane to the thread so don't get your panties in a knot.

Kiko
11th February 09, 06:51 PM
Sure, Lily, but sometimes I like to be there and do that.

I'd rather hear Equipoise talk about carnal sex related to food than hear NoB rant his goofy cliche' verses in that other thread.

So what kinda sex is a bacon cheeseburger? I'm kinda hungry and I don't want to cook....

Robot Jesus
11th February 09, 07:21 PM
can't beleave i forgot to ask.

are the schallops wet or dry (white or off white)

Equipoise
11th February 09, 08:18 PM

I'd rather hear Equipoise talk about carnal sex related to food than hear NoB rant his goofy cliche' verses in that other thread.

So what kinda sex is a bacon cheeseburger? I'm kinda hungry and I don't want to cook....

If you have a smokey BBQ sauce and a Stella Artois, Couch or back of the car sex focusing on practicality. Once you're done, you go to a movie or go hang out with friends.

Harpy
11th February 09, 08:41 PM

I hear you Kiko, personally I like the tried and true, just trying to be different for Feryk.

Its a close competition but you're also correct about Equipoise's carnal sex talk vs. NoB's vomit inducing poetry (<3)

Equipoise - you could at least post topless pix of yourself

Cullion
11th February 09, 08:59 PM
Neither are all Sherries.

What was the last Alsacien Riesling you tried?

Robot Jesus
12th February 09, 11:05 PM
since you didn't answer me and I’m all butt- hurt.

a when scallop has been chemically treated to it doesn’t shrivel up when its frozen is a wet scallop. a dry scallop is never frozen. dry taste better and can be seared. and if not frozen wet scallops take on water.

if the scallop is dry go easy on the bacon and use high heat. if the scallop is wet use lower heat and plenty of bacon.

also if the scallop is wet and not frozen you got taken for a ride and bought a bunch of water with you seafood.

Feryk
13th February 09, 12:49 PM
RJ - sorry. They were flash frozen right on the boat. I live in Alberta. The only kind of scallops we can get are frozen.

Kiko
13th February 09, 04:38 PM
I'm really glad you explained that, RJ. I was gonna call you insane for thinking any scallop could be dry. That would ruin them, don't you think?

Robot Jesus
14th February 09, 06:58 PM
RJ - sorry. They were flash frozen right on the boat. I live in Alberta. The only kind of scallops we can get are frozen.

I'm in calgary and a bought some dry scallops just the other day.

Feryk
16th February 09, 01:59 PM
Well, I took a lot of advice from this thread and meal went off without a hitch.

We started with some shrimp sauteed in a garlic citrus sauce. Afterwards we progressed to the maple marinated bacon wrapped scallops, with rice and grilled veggies. Chocolate mousse torte to round out the evening. Decided against wine, had some beer instead.

Equipoise's advice on precooking the bacon a little turned out to be a godsend. I got 1/4' sliced 'european' bacon (whatever that is), and I broiled it for about 5 minutes before putting it around the scallops. Worked fantastically well.

All in all, the meal was a success. It was nice to have a night where it was just the two of us and no kids. The meal went over well, and we had a fire.

Thanks again to everyone for your help. It made things go much more smoothly.