PDA

View Full Version : Another Watchmen Thread (I got spoilers!)

RickTheCritic
9th February 09, 09:22 PM
Taken from Spill.com (http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/new-york-comic-con-watchmen)

WATCHMEN

Dave Gibbons, artist for the Watchmen graphic novel, attended the panel to answer questions about the history of the novel, writer Alan Moore, and and his feelings about the film. But before the Q&A session began Gibbons threw the crowd into a salivating nerd frenzy as he introduced the first eighteen minutes of the film - and I'm sure I speak for many in the audience when I say it was an impressive eighteen minutes we witnessed.

Before I describe the clip any further I will say this: those who have been buying into the hype that this is going to be a panel for panel translation will undoubtedly be disappointed. Not so much because they've removed scenes, but because they've added so much. The opening credits features a montage showing pivotal moments for several characters in the film set to the tune of Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Chagin". While setting the tone for the rest of the story none them are featured in the book, including a scene of The Comedian assassinating JFK from the grassy knoll and the heroine known as Silhouette giving a victory kiss to another woman at a WW II homecoming parade.

Hardcore fans are sure to nitpick at those and other rumored changes from the book, while others are going to be more than accepting after seeing a direct translation of the comics' panels brought to life on a huge screen. The movie opens, just as the book, with The Comedian sitting alone watching TV in his penthouse when suddenly a faceless figure kicks in his door. The Comedian fights for his life, every karate kick and judo punch outmatched by the shadowy stranger. The Comedian's body is used as nothing more than a mere tool to destroy the expensive furniture in his apartment. Finally The Comedian, limp, bloody, and useless, is lifted by the intruder and hurled towards a window. He crashes through in slow motion, and it's here we get the iconic image of The Comedian falling towards his inevitable death, followed by a rain of shattered glass and the symbolic bloodstained yellow happy face pin. The pin, which also serves as the main logo for the Watchmen series, lands on the sidewalk not far from The Comedian's broken corpse. A pool of dark crimson plasma slowly streams down the curb around the pin, another image image directly from the book.

Fade out and fade in to the aforementioned opening credits, immediately followed by a police investigation being done in The Comedian's apartment. Again, dialogue and imagery impressively follow the comic, but it's what followed after that drew loud cheers from the audience.

Rorschach.

With his trench coat, fedora, and that eerie mask with the constantly shifting ink blotch pattern, Rorschach is no doubt the most popular character from Watchmen, and the uproar caused by his appearance proves it all the more. He narrates his legendary speech detailing his disdain for criminals, the city, and liberals as his grappling hook rips through the police tape straddling The Comedian's broken window. Rorschach is lifted several stories up to the apartment, where he conducts a search. His investigation ends when he discovers The Comedian's secret closet containing his costume, old articles, and several shiny weapons.

That was also the end of the clip for us - but not yet the end of the sneak. We were given a look at one more short bonus clip. I won't give too much away, I'll just say it involves a prisoner and boiling hot fat grease. Oh, and Jackie Earle Haley looks great with red hair.

I'll admit I was one of those who became more skeptical the more I heard about the movie, the changes that were being made. and watching the short featurettes online. I was particularly annoyed by director Zack Snyder's use of slow motion, something that has been copied and parodied for years, especially after Snyder's last film "300". However, after watching the flow of action in completed scenes the slow motion was no longer an issue. I was too distracted by the artistry and detail of the images to really care. We have yet to see how the movie holds up as 160 minute feature, but what I saw was beautiful and compelling. Everyone will have different interpretations of what they see, but what I saw was "Watchmen" being brought to life before my eyes, and that was enough to get me excited again.

It was also interesting to see the approach they took to bring realism to the characters. An effects reel, for example, showed how a relief texture was used to make Rorschach's mask appear more like cloth. The ink blotch's were also made to look less saturated on the edges.

In addition to imagery, the sound was amazing, especially during The Comedian's fight scene. Every crash thundered clearly over the speakers. The sound mixing can only be better when heard in a theatre properly equipped with a digital sound system.

As mentioned, Dave Gibbons went on to answer a few questions from the eager fans. Normally I hate these things. People usually ruin the mood by - how should I say this - asking stupid shit. Surprisingly the questions that morning were all pretty interesting, and Mr. Gibbons not only answered them with charm and intelligence, but he was able to give more entertaining insight on everything involving Watchmen.

Squid or no squid? click the link above to find out

Spoilers tags plz

"Judo punch" lol

JudOWNED
9th February 09, 11:19 PM
Watchmen... gurgle, drool, various Homer Simpson noises.

And also lol at "Judo punch." He could have at least done us (martial artists) the courtesy of using the kitschy "judo chop."

AAAhmed46
12th February 09, 02:40 AM
JUDOowned, your avatar...the monkey bee?

JudOWNED
13th February 09, 08:22 PM
Yeah. I saw that vid and thought WTF? Then I watched it again. And again. Now, I think it is the shit! In fact, I think I'm going to go watch it again now...

JudOWNED
13th February 09, 08:27 PM
Actually, that's eally what I look like.

Doritosaurus Chex
17th February 09, 06:24 PM
The burning building scene has been released to the public:

http://defamer.com/5155166/watchmen-producers-confident-enough-to-release-terrible-first-scene-into-the-wild

OZZ
17th February 09, 09:18 PM
As for the burning building scene...well, its not exactly Oscar worthy to say the least.
But who says the movie is going to be (or has to be) flawless? People are already starting to nitpick and it doesn't come out for another three weeks..
LMAO at fanboys and over - analytical pot smokers who fancy themselves to be intellectual.
The movie is sure to be entertaining and of better quality than many other comic adaptions heretofore.
Just enjoy it, people.

RickTheCritic
17th February 09, 10:51 PM
The burning building scene has been released to the public:

http://defamer.com/5155166/watchmen-producers-confident-enough-to-release-terrible-first-scene-into-the-wild

Not as bad I expected, besides the scene is one and half minutes out of a 2:30ish hour movie

partyboy
17th February 09, 10:55 PM
what the fuck was wrong with the 20-second-low-quality-omg-we-totally-judge-this-movie-and-complain-about-the-acting-even-though-they-only-say-3-words-blah-blah-woof-woof clip??

i'm still going to jizz in my pants when I get to finally see this

RickTheCritic
18th February 09, 11:48 PM
what the fuck was wrong with the 20-second-low-quality-omg-we-totally-judge-this-movie-and-complain-about-the-acting-even-though-they-only-say-3-words-blah-blah-woof-woof clip??

i'm still going to jizz in my pants when I get to finally see this

UuzQ3PyCjjs

EuropIan
19th February 09, 02:46 AM
Did he mention it was a sad day?

jubei33
19th February 09, 05:35 AM
what a fat fuck. Mcdonalds cheese has clogged arteries in his brain, starving neurons on much needed oxygen, nutrients.

Doritosaurus Chex
19th February 09, 11:04 AM
Unless you're hilarious, making youtube videos of your opinions on web cam is only slightly better than AMVs.

Spade: The Real Snake
19th February 09, 11:31 AM
May the astral projected body of Alan Moore rape him in his sleep but wake him up first so he may feel it.

(even though I realize Alan Moore doesn't care about the movie)

rw4th
20th February 09, 11:07 AM
Holy shit some people need a hobby, or a real friend or something and that fat fuck needs to move out of his mom's basement. Besides, the burning building scene isn't all that special in the comic book either :wink: