PDA

View Full Version : So I'm playing rugby. Again.

mrblackmagic
4th February 09, 12:41 PM
I still remember how to handle scenarios like rucks and formation (I'm a winger by the way), but my handling and running through passes isn't that good. Is there anything I can do on my own time to improve this?

elipson
4th February 09, 01:02 PM
Are you like dropping the ball or are you just slow and out of shape?

Go play some buggers with your friends everyday.

WarPhalange
4th February 09, 02:03 PM
I play fetch with my dog. It's cute to see grown men playing it with each other.

WarPhalange
4th February 09, 02:13 PM
Long hair is for girls. It's cute to see grown men who think it is hip.

http://lib.lbcc.edu/handouts/images/Vikings/vikings3.jpg

http://www.indianchiefblowers.com/wp-content/viking-remember.jpg

http://ushistoryimages.com/images/viking-boats/fullsize/viking-boats-6.jpg

Now show me a Viking playing "catch".

Spade: The Real Snake
4th February 09, 02:19 PM

I anxiously await the shower scene from "American History X"

WarPhalange
4th February 09, 02:22 PM
I bet you do.

I never saw the entire movie. The only thing I remember from it is that I really don't like Ed Norton and don't understand why he played Bruce Banner.

4th February 09, 02:23 PM
I remember Faruza Balk.

elipson
4th February 09, 02:35 PM
You know if PL could convince me in any way that he resembled ancient viking warriors and was supporting the long hair to enhance his bad-assery, that would be awesome.

But we all know he is nothing like that.

WarPhalange
4th February 09, 02:40 PM
Long hair enhances my badassery. Trust me on this. With short hair I looked a lot more nerdy.

And besides, at least I don't have to actually do anything. Playing catch with sweaty guys, getting tired and beat up, vs. just sitting there and waiting.

4th February 09, 02:53 PM
To OP.

Can't help...I only played rugby a couple of times in college.

I am sure your running through passes will improve when you start playing with the same guys more often and get used to their "go to moves"

bob
4th February 09, 04:14 PM
Are you like dropping the ball or are you just slow and out of shape?

Go play some buggers with your friends everyday.

Buggery comes after game.

Craigypooh
4th February 09, 04:41 PM

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fD6h0S733dJX/610x.jpg

Not sure why he needs all that protective gear though, I doubt that ball will hurt him.

elipson
4th February 09, 06:22 PM
It might hurt him. Americans are built pretty soft.

Sun Wukong
4th February 09, 06:25 PM
Long hair is for girls. It's cute to see grown men who think it is hip.

Coming from a guy that listens to Spears, BY CHOICE, I feel that' a bold statement if ever there was one.

Cullion
4th February 09, 06:59 PM
I still haven't seen this picture of PL that's supposed to be around. Anybody got a link ?

Arhetton
5th February 09, 04:03 AM
Create a small one man circuit using some training cones.

Put a couple of cones on the ground about 20 or 25 metres apart, and practice throwing the ball to them accurately and as far as possible(stationary passing). Then where the cones form a straight line, run at 90 degrees to that straight line and throw the ball as far and fast and straight along that line as possible (passing on the run). On the return, pick up the ball on the run and try to throw the ball backwards imediately to the other cone (pick up and passing on the run).

The other majorly important pass is just a short accurate pass to other players, which mainly depends on your ability to watch your teammates and judge when is a good moment to pass. Train your weak side and throwing over both shoulders.

Have fun :)

P.S - if you're a slim build like me, make sure you tackle by holding on to the other player and sliding down around the legs - its effective, you can tackle more times in each game and take less injury etc.

WarPhalange
5th February 09, 01:15 PM
I still haven't seen this picture of PL that's supposed to be around. Anybody got a link ?

That one is old, when my hair wasn't even touching my shoulders yet. Now it's down to about my nipples. Fuck yeah, imagine my nipples.

Kiko
5th February 09, 01:18 PM
That one is old, when my hair wasn't even touching my shoulders yet. Now it's down to about my nipples. Fuck yeah, imagine my nipples.
only in combination with :

Hair in pig tails, push-up bra, short skirt, and a lot of slutty looking make up. Bam, you're 19 again. It's always worked for me.

Makes you sound like the Rugby Queen to me...

WarPhalange
5th February 09, 02:27 PM
Don't be stupid. Rugby is a manly sport. No girls aloud. Cooties take all of the Gay out of the sport. And what fun would it be then?

Kiko
5th February 09, 02:29 PM
One of you guys please explain this quaint rugby tradition to him? I only heard things about it second hand. Mostly that it was NOT wise to volunteer to become the Rugby Queen or even to be near the team after a game!

mrblackmagic
5th February 09, 05:22 PM
It's not fitness. It's just handling.

Thanks to anyone who is helpful and to those that derail keep on that track.

elipson
5th February 09, 11:03 PM
Sport specific training man. If ball handling is the problem, then spend more time handling your balls.

And for what its worth, girls rugbyplayers fucking rock. At least the ones that dont look like jabba the hut.

mrblackmagic
7th February 09, 12:47 PM
That's why I didn't mention ball handling.

elipson
7th February 09, 02:22 PM
Find an old rugby ball with no grip. They suck to use because they are slippery, but when you practice with them you get better because they are harder to grip.

Wow. There is NO WAY to make ball handling advice NOT sound sexual.

Shawarma
7th February 09, 02:44 PM
I bet you do.

I never saw the entire movie. The only thing I remember from it is that I really don't like Ed Norton and don't understand why he played Bruce Banner.
He's only the one of the best male actors of his generation. How can you not like him? Is your hideous long hair disrupting your sense of awesome?

sochin101
7th February 09, 03:19 PM
Find an old rugby ball with no grip. They suck to use because they are slippery, but when you practice with them you get better because they are harder to grip.

Wow. There is NO WAY to make ball handling advice NOT sound sexual.
^good advice.
our balls (ZOMGLOLZ etc) tend not to have much in the way of grip over here, so we used to practice handling in woolen gloves... no grip whatsoever. Same concept.

Cullion
7th February 09, 03:53 PM
One of you guys please explain this quaint rugby tradition to him? I only heard things about it second hand. Mostly that it was NOT wise to volunteer to become the Rugby Queen or even to be near the team after a game!

Unwise? I depends whether being a bukake doll for a group of fired up 200+ lb strong men turns you on or scares you.

mrblackmagic
9th February 09, 09:13 AM
Word.

Marrt
20th February 09, 07:38 AM
You may find some of these useful - I assumed you needed solo drills (didn't remember if you said that in the OP or not)...

http://www.betterrugbycoaching.com/Article-122-75-Player-Skills--Drills-Training-with-Tennis-Balls

http://www.craigieburnphoenix.com/coachingtips.htm

http://www.sportplan.com/drills/Rugby/Handling/Individual-Skills.jsp

The last one is from a coaching perspective (i.e. leading your players through drills) but has bunch of individual ideas to practice

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
20th February 09, 08:06 AM

i found the old thread but they aren't hosted anymore
harsh luck man

mrblackmagic
20th February 09, 01:29 PM
Thanks.

WarPhalange
20th February 09, 03:56 PM
He's only the one of the best male actors of his generation. How can you not like him? Is your hideous long hair disrupting your sense of awesome?

I honestly just don't like his face. It's that superficial.

He looks like a frat boy, like Chandler from Friends.

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/0/88/16_2007/Ed-Norton-hulky.jpg

This is not the face of a geeky scientist. That's what it amounts to.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
20th February 09, 04:00 PM
I'm not seeing it.

mrblackmagic
26th February 09, 05:39 PM
I've tried a few of those drills. Not too bad. I'm going back to practice next Tuesday.

Marrt
26th February 09, 10:11 PM
Cool, so are you in the Nth East or elsewhere?
I only ask because I know of a couple of different social teams playing in the NE, but it seems to get more sparse as you head west.

mrblackmagic
27th February 09, 05:06 PM
South East. I'm in Atlanta for the time being. There are lots of teams in the South they all live way out in the cut.