PDA

View Full Version : Our Arrows will Blot out the Sun: Persian Cowards!

Aphid Jones
3rd February 09, 05:36 PM
a-Im3NF7xNU

After 2500 Years of Research, Persian Scientists Find Key to Breaking Phalanx

Iran says it has launched its first domestically made satellite into orbit.
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said the launch had been successful and that with it Iran had "officially achieved a presence in space".
The satellite, carried on a Safir-2 rocket, was meant for telecommunication and research purposes, state TV said.
A US state department official said the launch was of "great concern" and could lead to ballistic missile development. Iran insists its intent is peaceful.
France has also expressed concern, saying the technology used was "very similar" to that used in ballistic missiles.
Iran is subject to United Nations sanctions because some Western powers think it is trying to build a nuclear bomb.
Tehran denies that claim and says its nuclear ambitions are limited to the production of energy.
Revolution anniversary
Officials from six world powers - the US, Russia, China, UK, France and Germany - are due to meet in Germany on Wednesday to discuss the nuclear stand-off.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif IRAN SPACE AMBITIONS
Feb 2009: Iran declares launch of first home-built satellite into orbit
Aug 2008: Iran launches rocket 'capable of carrying satellite'
Feb 2008: Iran launches research rocket as part of satellite launch preparations, Tehran says
Feb 2007: Iran says it launches rocket capable of reaching space, which makes parachute-assisted descent to Earth
Oct 2005: Russian rocket launches Iran's first satellite, Sina-1

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/inline_dashed_line.gif

Iran's slow but sure missile advance (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7866742.stm)

The launch of the Omid (Hope) satellite had been expected and was clearly timed to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the Iranian revolution, says the BBC's Jon Leyne in Tehran. Mr Ahmadinejad said the satellite was launched to spread "monotheism, peace and justice" in the world.
But the launch could cause alarm in the West because of fears the technology could be used to make a long-range missile, possibly with a nuclear warhead, our correspondent says.
Iran will no doubt reply that it is once again being judged by double standards for using a technology that is commonplace in many other parts of the world, he adds.
Speaking after the launch, Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki stressed the project was peaceful.
"Iran's satellite technology is for purely peaceful purposes and to meet the needs of the country," Mr Mottaki said, on the fringes of an African Union summit in Ethiopia.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif We can't help but link this to the very serious concerns about the development of military nuclear capability http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif

Eric Chevallier
French foreign ministry spokesman

US state department official Robert Wood said Iran's activities could "possibly lead to the development of ballistic missiles" and were of "great concern". French foreign ministry spokesman Eric Chevallier said France was "very concerned" about the launch.
"We can't help but link this to the very serious concerns about the development of military nuclear capability," he said.
UK Foreign Office minister Bill Rammell said the launch underlined the UK's "serious concerns about Iran's intentions".
"There are dual applications for satellite launching technology in Iran's ballistic missile programme," he said in a statement.
"As a result, we think this sends the wrong signal to the international community, which has already passed five successive UN Security Council resolutions on Iran's nuclear and ballistic missile programme."
John Pike, an expert at the US-based think-tank GlobalSecurity.org, confirmed to the BBC that the launch had been a success and the satellite was now established in a low Earth orbit.
At that altitude it is likely to remain in orbit for some two months before falling back towards Earth and burning up as it re-enters the atmosphere, he told the BBC.
Last August, Iran said it had successfully launched a rocket capable of carrying its first domestically built satellite, having in February launched a low-orbit research rocket as part of preparations for the satellite launch.
That launch marked the inauguration of a new space centre, at an unidentified desert location, which included an underground control station and satellite launch pad.
The White House called the 2008 launch "unfortunate", warning it would further isolate Iran from the global community.
In February 2007, Iran said it had launched a rocket capable of reaching space - before it made a parachute-assisted descent to Earth.
In October 2005, a Russian rocket launched Iran's first satellite, the Sina-1, which carried photographic and telecommunications equipment.

Aphid Jones
3rd February 09, 05:41 PM
a-Im3NF7xNU

After 2500 Years of Research, Persian Scientists Find Key to Breaking Phalanx

Equipoise
3rd February 09, 07:28 PM
Shoot it down?

Aphid Jones
3rd February 09, 07:45 PM
Unfortunately for Iran the Modern-day Phalanx (S.h.i.e.l.d.) will be a little tougher for the Persians.

Maybe in another 2500 years...

Robot Jesus
3rd February 09, 07:49 PM
either iran is traying to establish some national presteage and create something respectable in the arab world, or they are developing military technology to defend themselves agaist possible israli or american operations.

either way i support them.

Aphid Jones
3rd February 09, 07:50 PM
Iranians aren't Arabs.

Nor do they speak Arabic.

HappyOldGuy
3rd February 09, 08:32 PM
Nor are intermediate range missles useful in any conceivable defensive role.

But mostly this is a big meh. Although I think more nations in space is generally a good thing.

SFGOON
3rd February 09, 09:21 PM
either iran is traying to establish some national presteage and create something respectable in the arab world, or they are developing military technology to defend themselves agaist possible israli or american operations.

You're mistaken, but I understand. I bet you think Black people all look the same too. And hey, if they didn't learn Arabic along with their Farsi it's their fucking fault, right?

Robot Jesus
3rd February 09, 10:30 PM
ok, right, i fucked up there calling a Persian an Arab. lets just call them all Semitics and be done with it.

Nor are intermediate range missles useful in any conceivable defensive role.

But mostly this is a big meh. Although I think more nations in space is generally a good thing.
Mutually assured destruction.

HappyOldGuy
3rd February 09, 10:36 PM

No

WarPhalange
3rd February 09, 10:42 PM
Missiles =/= nukes

Aphid Jones
3rd February 09, 10:52 PM
ok, right, i fucked up there calling a Persian an Arab. lets just call them all Semitics and be done with it.
Persian (farsi) is an Indo-European language, not a Semitic one.

Fail again!

SFGOON
3rd February 09, 11:03 PM

There's a great deal of critea for that which the Iranians are far from meeting. They must have enough nukes to wipe out their antagonist AND all their allies AFTER being nuked themselves. Which they do not.

You're having a hard time here. And yet I sympathize with the gist of your sentiment.

Truculent Sheep
4th February 09, 03:37 AM
What are the odds that Tehran property prices will be rock bottom soon? (Hint-hint...)

jubei33
4th February 09, 09:40 AM
With the exception of Amenajabarab (a loon), I think the Iranians are pretty cool people. After we embargoed them, cock blocked their attempts to buy replacement parts for their F-14 fleet (supplied by us) they took up the initiative and built a home grown industry, largely reverse-engineering what htey needed. They're selling re-engineered Bell helicopters too.

I kind of admire that they're the only successful axis of evil country, at least on the basis of the aerospace industry. Maybe we can just get over the whole 'great satan' thing. I was a good burn and all, but its a little worn out.

HappyOldGuy
4th February 09, 11:37 AM
With the exception of Amenajabarab (a loon), I think the Iranians are pretty cool people. After we embargoed them, cock blocked their attempts to buy replacement parts for their F-14 fleet (supplied by us) they took up the initiative and built a home grown industry, largely reverse-engineering what htey needed. They're selling re-engineered Bell helicopters too.

I kind of admire that they're the only successful axis of evil country, at least on the basis of the aerospace industry. Maybe we can just get over the whole 'great satan' thing. I was a good burn and all, but its a little worn out.

By any sane realpolitik standards, the US and Iran should be best buds. That's why we were for so long before. Unfortunately if we start making too nice with the current rulers, then we will just be setting ourselves up for great satandom again when the current crop of corrupt greedheads gets culled.

Craigypooh
4th February 09, 11:48 AM

This requires both sides to have someone sane in charge of the button.

Robot Jesus
4th February 09, 02:45 PM
There's a great deal of critea for that which the Iranians are far from meeting. They must have enough nukes to wipe out their antagonist AND all their allies AFTER being nuked themselves. Which they do not.

You're having a hard time here. And yet I sympathize with the gist of your sentiment.

perhaps MAD is overstating it, but there’s no catchy acronym for "to strike down though military mean would be a real bitch and have serious consequences for allies in the region". all they need are missiles and nukes. and what are they developing?

SFGOON
4th February 09, 02:56 PM
That's specifically called "limited deterrence." It's actually making them less secure as it 1.) provides undeniable jus ad bellum for conventional warfare. 2.) Makes them a potential nuclear target. To obtain stability they'd need parity against the US and all their allies, which basically means sub-launched MIRV missiles to ensure a second-strike capability.

Had they chosen not to develop nuclear weapons, there would be no way nuclear powers could employ their arsenal against them. Now there could be a very reasonable justification to do so.

They have not made themselves safer. Instead they have opened themselves up to a form of attack against which they cannot protect themselves.

Feryk
4th February 09, 03:01 PM
And it's not like the Israeli's (a nuclear power) are very good at showing restraint. If they feel threatened by Iran developing a nuclear missle, I don't think it would take very long for them to take out the missles. And maybe a few more things along the way.

HappyOldGuy
4th February 09, 03:28 PM
Even if you leave the US out of it, the israelis have a ridonkolous number of nukes, including sub launched, and the closest thing any nation has to an effective missle shield against anything the iranians will have offensively this decade.

This isn't mutually assured destruction, this is taunting a pitbull with a steak tied around your neck and hoping he breaks a tooth eating you.

It is still cool that another country is in space.

Fearless Ukemi
5th February 09, 11:24 AM

You're a fucking idiot.

Stick
5th February 09, 01:27 PM
^ Beat me to it.

Cullion
5th February 09, 02:33 PM
Iranians aren't Arabs.

Some are arabs and most muslims can speak arabic.

SFGOON
5th February 09, 02:35 PM
Back up the train there. What kind of Arabic? That's almost like saying the French, the Italians, and the Spanish all speak Latin.

Cullion
5th February 09, 02:38 PM
What do you mean 'what kind of Arabic'? what sort of quasi-intellectual question is that?

I mean Arabic. You know, the jibber-jabber they speak in the desert. It's certainly not Farsi. It's Arabic.

Aphid Jones
5th February 09, 02:56 PM
Some are arabs and most muslims can speak arabic.
Only 3% of Iran is Arab.

And there's a big difference between actually speaking Arabic and knowing how to recite verses from the Koran.

Also like to re-point out Iran's growing Non-muslim (in many cases, Neo-Zoroastrian) middle class.

Aphid Jones
5th February 09, 02:57 PM
Most of Iran speaks farsi.

Cullion
5th February 09, 03:01 PM
I'm glad you agree.

Tanhalen21
5th February 09, 03:43 PM
Persians and Arabs are total opposites in essence. All of the Persians I know fucking hate Arabic and even if they know some, they refuse to speak it.

Cullion
5th February 09, 04:16 PM
Are these persians zoroastrians whose families left Iran when the Shah was deposed?

Tanhalen21
5th February 09, 04:29 PM
I don't know that many Zoroastrians, but some of them left when the Shah was deposed.

Fearless Ukemi
5th February 09, 04:57 PM
Persians and Arabs are total opposites in essence. All of the Persians I know fucking hate Arabic and even if they know some, they refuse to speak it.

And that is one of the reasons he is a fucking idiot. Having spent 2 years in a Persian community, I have seen firsthand how they react to being called Arabs. Not pretty.

Tanhalen21
5th February 09, 06:02 PM
I'faith^

SFGOON
5th February 09, 06:14 PM
There's the Arabic in which the Koran is written, which is a lingua franca used across the Muslim world because it's used something like Judaism uses Hebrew. The Koran is usually recited and studied in the old language.

Then there's the modern Arabic with regional variances.

Cullion
5th February 09, 06:26 PM
People can cope with accents. I'm still right and I still have a bigger wang.

Tanhalen21
5th February 09, 06:36 PM
I think SFGOON is trying to express how vast the difference is between written Arabic and spoken Arabic. I don't think it's just the Koran, it's any sort of Arabic literature.

Farsi is pretty much the same written as it is spoken, and people who speak different dialects (such as the Afghani Dari dialect) can generally understand each other pretty easily.

Cullion
5th February 09, 06:45 PM
I think SFGOON is trying to undermine my Internet Authority with his fancy book-learning-and-travelling-around-islamic-countries. And I won't have it.

Sun Wukong
5th February 09, 06:56 PM
well, the only reason the iranian's did any of this was to get closer to ICBM technology. That's the entire point of it. To develope a missle delivery system. Iran is playing an extremely dangerous game here.

I like the idea of erring on the side of universal understanding, but nuclear proliferation IN THE MIDDLE EAST is an extremely bad scenario.

I would rather bomb Iran back to the stone age than let them (or Syria) acquire a nuclear weapon.

Feryk
5th February 09, 07:02 PM
Cullion just has SFGOON wang envy.

SFGOON
5th February 09, 07:06 PM
The best part? Iran has never developed or otherwise acquired a weapons system which they have not sold.

I don't know if attacking them is a good idea. If we did that, we'd have to reconstruct THAT shithole too. Better to let the people do it themselves, and just run a covert PSYOP campaign casting doubt on the piety of the clergy.

Feryk
5th February 09, 07:08 PM
And by that you mean take pictures of the clerics buggering little boys. Or goats. Or boy goats if you like.

GuiltySpark
6th February 09, 03:17 AM
We will achieve compliance in Iran by 2015

Cullion
6th February 09, 04:02 AM
well, the only reason the iranian's did any of this was to get closer to ICBM technology. That's the entire point of it. To develope a missle delivery system. Iran is playing an extremely dangerous game here.

I like the idea of erring on the side of universal understanding, but nuclear proliferation IN THE MIDDLE EAST is an extremely bad scenario.

I would rather bomb Iran back to the stone age than let them (or Syria) acquire a nuclear weapon.

Nuclear weapons are going to proliferate. I'm more worried about Pakistan.
I don't want to think about what will happen when Africans get their hands on them.

Fearless Ukemi
6th February 09, 08:09 AM
They'll probably kill each other before they kill whitey.

Cullion
6th February 09, 08:15 AM
oh. that's ok then.

jubei33
6th February 09, 08:50 AM
I thought the CIA had AIDS fixing that problem?

Equipoise
6th February 09, 09:08 PM
It's not working fast enough.

Aphid Jones
7th February 09, 12:08 AM
We will achieve compliance in Iran by 2015
Do you think we'll use those "bunker-buster" nukes?

SFGOON
7th February 09, 12:59 AM
No. Those don't exist anymore. Sadly.

GuiltySpark
7th February 09, 01:19 AM
Do you think we'll use those "bunker-buster" nukes?

I think it would be awesome to have world peace, maybe even doing away with religion or limit it in a severe way IE ne cnanot associate religion with government. Goes for Iran AND the US etc..
Then we cure disease and like a cheesy sci-fi movie, go explore the stars.

For that to happen though we need to sort out a lot of misguided assholes on earth. Most of those assholes aren't going to roll over without a fight. At one point I think it's going to come down to us or them.

I think if our countries came under severe threat we would (and should) do whatever it takes to win.

When we fight agressors in their back yard it makes them allocate resources to deal with it. Those are resources being taken away from them picking fights in our back yard.

Aphid Jones
7th February 09, 01:29 AM
I find your world-view both boring and insulting to Star Trek.

But I respect your opinion.

Artful Dentures
8th February 09, 10:58 AM
The Iron Sheik could solve all these problems in a minute

Equipoise
8th February 09, 11:05 AM
Until Sgt. Slaughter comes along and owns his ass.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x310/The_Ultimate_Wrestling_Gallery/Sgt%20Slaughter/SgtSlaughter009.jpg

Cullion
8th February 09, 11:23 AM
Couldn't you just use some of the really big real nukes and take out all the bunkers at once ? That's legal, right?

Aphid Jones
8th February 09, 12:48 PM
I don't know which would lead to a worse outcome: Triumph of the Persian nationalists over the Ayatollahs/current Iranian government, or if the Ayatollahs continued to rule.

3moose1
8th February 09, 07:33 PM
I support the Ayatollahs.

I simply love hearing, "the ayatollah of rock and rolla!'

AAAhmed46
8th February 09, 08:33 PM
Iranians aren't Arabs.

I love their reaction when people call them arabs. The look on their face.....

Aphid Jones
8th February 09, 08:49 PM
I love their reaction when people call them arabs. The look on their face.....
Reminds me of "Pip" from southpark, the English kid that everyone bullies and calls "Frenchy".

3moose1
8th February 09, 09:34 PM
Until Sgt. Slaughter comes along and owns his ass.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x310/The_Ultimate_Wrestling_Gallery/Sgt%20Slaughter/SgtSlaughter009.jpg

I had a wrestling coach who's last name was Slaughter.

No joke. Coach Slaughter, "YOU ASSHOLES BETTER GET DOWNSTAIRS AND RUN UNTIL I'M TIRED"

an hour later, one of the new guys is barely walking, and asks, "are you tired yet, coach?"

Bad move...baaaaaaaaaaaaad move....

Equipoise
9th February 09, 08:36 PM
Kinda sounds like some of the dumb shit people would say in my police academy after PT.

3moose1
10th February 09, 05:32 PM
The dude's name was coach slaughter. I believe he was a former Marine, too.

I made it a point not to get noticed by coach slaughter...

Zendetta
10th February 09, 06:25 PM
anonymity is your friend when you are low on the food chain.