PDA

View Full Version : Gas stoves - The Devil's Tool?

Harpy
1st February 09, 09:31 PM
I have a 4 ring gas stove.

The front left is the biggest one so I tend to cook on that. I find that this particular ring doesn't ignite properly and when it does the flame does a huge whoosh and comes out half a foot from the stove. I nearly burned my face off yesterday when I threw a match from a small distance at the stove as I let the gas run (and had the back left and front right rings alight). I find this phenomena occurs most often after I've cleaned the stove and attempted to reassemble the stove. The home and stove are only a year old.

Anyone got a solution to this?

Robot Jesus
1st February 09, 10:14 PM
http://hackaday.com/2008/04/22/diy-x-men-flame-throwing-wrist-guard/

that should keep you at a safe distance

Spade: The Real Snake
1st February 09, 10:17 PM
turn the burner on then get real close and look inside to see if you can spot the problem.

Harpy
1st February 09, 10:48 PM
I will get the male of the household to do the above.

Sun Wukong
1st February 09, 10:50 PM
this thread was a feminist eugenics plot. You're trying to get us all killed, so the X-chromosome survives and the Y does not.

I'm on to you.

partyboy
2nd February 09, 12:50 AM
this thread was a feminist eugenics plot. You're trying to get us all killed, so the X-chromosome survives and the Y does not.

I'm on to you.

You stole that from Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender-Bender
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rex_Nebular_and_the_Cosmic_Gender_Bender

Harpy
2nd February 09, 01:09 AM
This was no plot. Its a serious problem I'm having in the kitchen.

Neildo
2nd February 09, 03:36 AM
gas stoves heat more evenly than electric. a professional cook would prefer one. i actually hate my electric, it's really inconsistent but that's probably because i only cook with iron. electric just doesn't heat as evenly.

not sure why the flame is as high as you describe, but the lighting stage of the element should be like that. you turn it down right away to the desired level. you might only boil water with the flame that high, but even then you'll probably get scorch marks on the sides of the pot or whatever.

jubei33
2nd February 09, 04:24 AM
can you post a picture of said stove/ burner? my money is on clog. are all the gas outlet things open and is the central line to the pilot clear? If not use a tooth pick to clear the soot out, or soak entire ring in degreaser/ soap.

bob
2nd February 09, 05:14 AM
My advice = get a fucking professional to look at it. That sounds potentially quite serious and malfunctioning gas appliances are a good way to get yourself killed.

Robot Jesus
2nd February 09, 05:40 AM
penis?

sochin101
2nd February 09, 06:44 AM
My advice = get a fucking professional to look at it. That sounds potentially quite serious and malfunctioning gas appliances are a good way to get yourself killed.
This man talks sense.
Plus, if it's only a year old, won't it be under a guarantee?
Get the manufacturer of the deathtrap to fix it.

2nd February 09, 10:16 AM
man talks sense.

This is usually the case.

Equipoise
2nd February 09, 06:43 PM
Lily, parts of the burner are clogged which causes excess pressure in others...Venturi effect. You're going to need to take apart the burner and clean the lines. If it still exists, turn down the gas levels to the burner.

Harpy
2nd February 09, 09:15 PM
Thanks Equipoise and bornsceptic, good advice (I love that I can now call the blast of flame the 'Venturi effect'!).

Will get a pro to look at it, when I eventually get around to it. Meanwhile I will try to minimise my already minimal efforts in the kitchen.

Harpy
2nd February 09, 09:17 PM
Get the manufacturer of the deathtrap to fix it.

Does this mean you care about me?

Equipoise
2nd February 09, 09:23 PM
Umm isn't your husband worth enough salt to know how to fix the issue with the stove or at least try?

Kein Haar
2nd February 09, 09:35 PM
Have danno stick his pennis in there. It should fit fine.

Halfrican
3rd February 09, 12:11 AM
all stoves heat evenly when you use tri-ply stainless cookware. I reccomend Calphalon or all-clad, I use Calphalon.

Equipoise
3rd February 09, 12:18 AM
No, no they don't. Gas is superior. You get a better heat spread on the pan using higher class cookware, however the heat transfer from the source sucks on an electric as compared with a gas stove.

sochin101
3rd February 09, 02:19 AM
Does this mean you care about me?
How could I not?
You're trying to cook.
That at least makes you semi-useful ;-)

sochin101
3rd February 09, 02:21 AM
Umm isn't your husband worth enough salt to know how to fix the issue with the stove or at least try?
He's inflatable. Shhshshshshhhsssshhh.

(that was the sound of him melting on the stove and deflating, not me asking for silence)

Steve
3rd February 09, 02:55 AM
I'm sure she has a male something living with her, but I doubt it could ever be a blow up doll. That was low, Sochin. :(

now the question is do I tack on the /sarcasm to the end of the post or not? what gives more lulz...?

:tongue:

Harpy
3rd February 09, 03:04 AM
He's called a Love Slave.

Oh and Equipoise, don't forget that gas stoves are more economically efficient than electric stoves (so 70s).

sochin101
3rd February 09, 04:23 AM
Steve, what you probably don't know is I'm utterly, pointlessly and irrevocably in love with Lily.

now the question is do I tack on the /sarcasm to the end of the post or not? what gives more lulz...?

Steve
3rd February 09, 04:29 AM
jT3_UCm1A5I

sochin101
3rd February 09, 04:32 AM
How could you possibly know I'm wearing a bowler hat?

Steve
3rd February 09, 04:33 AM
Say no more........

*drool*

sochin101
3rd February 09, 04:47 AM
She can clean my burner lines

eh eh?

She can de-muck my nozzles

eh?

etc

Steve
3rd February 09, 04:54 AM
You guessed it: I pitch.

3rd February 09, 08:22 AM
I always thought Lily more of an Indigo Girls type.

Equipoise
3rd February 09, 11:20 AM
You mean a man hating masculine lesbian then?

Lily doesn't strike me as the Dworkin type.

Halfrican
3rd February 09, 02:38 PM
What you should really want is a dual fuel stove. Convection oven paired with a gas cooktop. Baller.

Harpy
3rd February 09, 04:03 PM
Halfrican - got that set up and yes it rocks (except for the fact that I'm in danger every time I cook)

sochin101
3rd February 09, 05:12 PM
Halfrican - got that set up and yes it rocks (except for the fact that I'm in danger every time I cook)
So is everyone that tastes the food, I hear...

Kiko
3rd February 09, 05:17 PM
*hands Lily one of these*
http://www.castironchatter.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/cast-iron-skillet.jpg
Show him what you mean by danger, eh?

Harpy
3rd February 09, 06:04 PM
Kiko, I could kiss you right now (not in a gay way).

sochin...I have a surprise for you, close your eyes.

3rd February 09, 06:52 PM
Kiko, I could kiss you right now (not in a gay way).

See.

Just like I said.

Indigo Girl.

sochin101
4th February 09, 03:45 AM
sochin...I have a surprise for you, close your eyes. Ok. I'm one of those guys that thinks there's always the possibility of something good happening, so I'm gonna go ahead and close my eyes.
*closes eyes*

Please note, this has backfired on more than one occasion.
I remember a friend's uncle promised to teach me ventriloquism.
He was rubbish.
He shoved his hand up my arse and told me not to say a word...

Steve
4th February 09, 04:23 AM
Heh heh heh.

*closes the door after Toby and preps the video camera*

Harpy
4th February 09, 04:56 PM
What the hell is an Indigo girl?

Steve, I can't let you do that to Sochin. We'd probably knock you over the head with the fry pan, drag you into the room and leave you with Toby (with the secret video camera filming).

Kiko
4th February 09, 05:09 PM
You guys! There's precious few of us ladies who can tolerate you all so we have to stick together, but not as part of your sick fantasies!

Of course if we did distract you for a moment....

*whispers* Lily, you get 'im with the frying pan, I'll use my rolling pin, they'll never know what hit 'em!

(true story, that's what I gave my soon to be ex-sister in law as a shower gift - they did her no good since she couldn't use 'em for cooking OR self assurance)

4th February 09, 05:10 PM
*whispers* Lily, you get 'im with the frying pan, I'll use my rolling pin, they'll never know what hit 'em!

about time you two started cooking.

Harpy
4th February 09, 05:12 PM
Kiko, knowing some of these sick boys, they may be hoping that the rolling pin is used...I can't even say it!

Equipoise
4th February 09, 08:01 PM
Okay, I'll attempt to put this thread back on track...did you manage to get the burner issue fixed?

Harpy
4th February 09, 08:44 PM
No, I've had other people come and cook for me this week.

jvjim
4th February 09, 11:20 PM
God you bitch so fucking much Lily. When I was a edit:kid we didn't even have a stove, we had to eat crunchy macaroni and cold green bean casserole and you know what? We were fucking happy for it. I bet you had a refrigerator too huh? You know what the V family had? A fucking wet burlap sack. God you sicken me.

Harpy
4th February 09, 11:45 PM
I can't help it, I really like your cute self.

Sorry for sounding whiny, I wasn't bitching so much as wondering if the flame would get me.

P.S. - if you sleep with your food (eg. wrap it in clingwrap) and sleep with it against your naked body, it will warm it up like a stove!

bob
5th February 09, 03:32 AM
I've seen the Devil's tool and it didn't look much like a gas stove.

Equipoise
5th February 09, 06:34 AM
I bet it felt like one! *Rimshot*

sochin101
5th February 09, 04:12 PM
Ouch... burning rings?

5th February 09, 04:18 PM
LOL

Lily's ring is burning.

Cullion
26th April 09, 11:24 AM
this thread was a feminist eugenics plot.

You're trying to get us all killed,

so the X-chromosome survives and the Y does not.

Did this rhyme on purpose ?

26th April 09, 11:49 AM
Cullion, you missed a perfect opportunity to launch into your patented "modern conveniences, unlike your mother and grandmother before her" lecture.

I think Lily needs reminding that she no longer is expected to chop firewood, stoke the potbellied stove, haul buckets of water from the nearest creek, skin and clean a rabbit.

She is getting lazy and fresh with the mouth and needs a comeuppance.

Kiko
26th April 09, 08:54 PM
http://www.heartgauctionandrealty.com/images/Open_Range.jpg

syberia
26th April 09, 10:22 PM
I nearly burned my face off yesterday when I threw a match from a small distance at the stove as I let the gas run (and had the back left and front right rings alight). I find this phenomena occurs most often after I've cleaned the stove and attempted to reassemble the stove. The home and stove are only a year old.

Why the hell are you throwing matches at gas appliances, you crazy woman?? I take it the stove doesn't have a spark igniter? Unlucky.
Did you find the problem or not? If its not the lines or the cooker then maybe its just a lighting issue. Is the detergent you're using highly flamable?

Harpy
26th April 09, 10:26 PM
Its all fixed now :) It does have a 'spark igniter' (is that a term you just made up). It was clogged so a friend of mine cleaned it for me.

Its okay to throw matches at gas stoves, seriously. I only have one tiny burn on my hand to show for it.

syberia
26th April 09, 11:02 PM
Its all fixed now :) It does have a 'spark igniter' (is that a term you just made up). It was clogged so a friend of mine cleaned it for me.

Oh, good. And yes, i made it up. Do you know the official name? I couldn't think of anything better.

Its okay to throw matches at gas stoves, seriously. I only have one tiny burn on my hand to show for it.

Are you serious? What the hell? You'll blow yourself up one day Lily. Sure, it works. But there's a reason they dont recommend it. If the spark igniter (shut up! :) fails and you're using a match: light the match first. It shouldn't go out if you turn the gas on low, and theres not really any danger of it exploding in your face.

My friend burnt her eyebrows off because she let the gas run while she fucked around lighting a match. I'm serious.

Harpy
26th April 09, 11:05 PM
Awww Sybs, you are a doll. Thank you for the advice. I keep the gas running, light a match from about 3 metres away and throw it in the general direction of the stove. Worked.

That or I turned on the smaller gas rings and then tried the large one (the one that wasn't working), this caused a HUGE whoosh as it ignited and the flame spread about half a metre in many directions. Fun times.

syberia
26th April 09, 11:10 PM
Awww Sybs, you are a doll. Thank you for the advice. I keep the gas running, light a match from about 3 metres away and throw it in the general direction of the stove. Worked.

I'm sorry if this is coming over know-it-all and bitchy, but -wow, thats a bad idea. Please never do it again.

That or I turned on the smaller gas rings and then tried the large one (the one that wasn't working), this caused a HUGE whoosh as it ignited and the flame spread about half a metre in many directions. Fun times.

Also not a great idea.

Get one of these handy things:

http://www.nexternal.com/armynavy/images/Camping-Lighter-extended-fl1.gif

Hold it next to the gas and click. Do not have the gas running for to long prior to the click.

f4n4n
26th April 09, 11:22 PM
Lily I hope for your sake and the sake of everybody surrounding you that you did none of the things you posted above...

Harpy
26th April 09, 11:24 PM
Look, I am a smart person but I did do all the things I've stated on this thread which is why I started it (to ask for advice).

The problem is fixed now, I also try to avoid cooking very often.

nihilist
26th April 09, 11:46 PM
I nearly burned my face off yesterday when I threw a match from a small distance at the stove as I let the gas run ...

Yes, this one's easy.
Turn on the gas and stay way back. Another room is best. When you smell the gas getting really strong that is your cue to use a lighter to light it safely.

27th April 09, 10:25 AM
Now that this is all settled, don't you have some toilets that need scrubbing, Lily.

Harpy
27th April 09, 05:12 PM
Like you don't have a list of chores you need to get done at home...

27th April 09, 05:23 PM
As long as their is urine-stained porcelain, Lily will have a song in her heart.

Harpy
27th April 09, 05:35 PM
I am going to treat you as I treat Reese and Toby from this moment on.

nihilist
27th April 09, 05:57 PM
He doesn't want PMs of you playing hide the pickle.

Harpy
27th April 09, 06:02 PM
*yawn*

nihilist
27th April 09, 06:09 PM
Believe me it's more tedious to watch.

Kiko
30th November 10, 05:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=974NJLvvjRU

Cassius
30th November 10, 07:04 PM
I love my gas stove. I think I'm going to make chicken noodle soup from scratch tomorrow on it.

Adouglasmhor
1st December 10, 01:56 AM
I have a 4 ring gas stove.

The front left is the biggest one so I tend to cook on that. I find that this particular ring doesn't ignite properly and when it does the flame does a huge whoosh and comes out half a foot from the stove. I nearly burned my face off yesterday when I threw a match from a small distance at the stove as I let the gas run (and had the back left and front right rings alight). I find this phenomena occurs most often after I've cleaned the stove and attempted to reassemble the stove. The home and stove are only a year old.

Qualified gas fitter having a look at it, whatever your equivalent of Corgi registered?