PDA

View Full Version : This thread is about bbq

Robot Jesus
31st January 09, 07:28 PM
Where Iím from bbq means grilling. Can someone from an appropriate region give me the 411 on real bbq.

Steve
31st January 09, 07:39 PM
Oh, you have so opened a can of worms.

Neildo
31st January 09, 07:42 PM
korean short ribs pwn

Tanhalen21
31st January 09, 08:27 PM
Well, as a few of us were discussing in the Tabasco thread, BBQ (American BBQ) differs depending on the region you're talking about, but I'm from North Carolina where we have 2 major kind of BBQ. Eastern Carolina is vinegar based and isn't really "saucy," or if it is saucy, it's all runny and vinegary. Western Carolina BBQ is the more popular one throughout the US - it's tomato-based and is usually accompanied by a thick, sweet/tangy sauce.

Popular types of meat to use for BBQ where I'm from are ribs, pulled pork, brisket, etc.

Equipoise
31st January 09, 09:51 PM
BBQ up north refers to an outing where people make hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken, etc.

Tan got the rest right. SC apparently has four different types of pulled pork. I'm only familiar with the mustard, western sweeter and eastern vinegar types.

I like it when it's spicey and sweet, however it's hard to find done right. No one knows what I talk about when I mention BBQ here in Miami. They catered BBQ for us one day for some function we had. It was horrendous and overcooked. It made me sad. =-(

Tanhalen21
31st January 09, 11:56 PM
This thread is making me miss NC.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st February 09, 12:53 AM
BBQ up north refers to an outing where people make hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken, etc.

Tan got the rest right. SC apparently has four different types of pulled pork. I'm only familiar with the mustard, western sweeter and eastern vinegar types.

I like it when it's spicey and sweet, however it's hard to find done right. No one knows what I talk about when I mention BBQ here in Miami. They catered BBQ for us one day for some function we had. It was horrendous and overcooked. It made me sad. =-(

Plan a trip back to BBQ country sometime. Why not?

Robot Jesus
1st February 09, 03:39 AM
anyone got recipes or techniques? the multiple definitionitis bbq has made identifying authentic recipes difficult, shitty signal to noise ratio

HappyOldGuy
1st February 09, 02:00 PM
For ribs, I usually use a mix of a spicy rub and a simple sweet basting sauce. I've posted my favorite pork rub recipe before.

4 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons paprika (smoked if you've got it)
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground oregano
1 tablespoon cayenne
1 teaspoon black pepper (rough grind)

Rub on both sides of the ribs, makes enough for 4 racks.

For the basting sauce, I mix 1/4 cup Soy Sauce, 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, a teaspoon of worstershire sauce, and 2 tbsp of tomato paste. Those are rough guesses since I usually go by taste, but they'll work.

I cook over charcoal, on a weber grill. Basically you pile the coals on the side and put a pan of water in the middle. Turn and baste them every 10-15 minutes.

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/recipe/grilling101/directindirect.aspx

Zendetta
1st February 09, 04:50 PM
korean short ribs pwn

yes!!!

My best bro is Korean and he makes these all the time. ESPECIALLY good with the little leaves (purila leaves? something like that) you use to wrap upthe morsels of meat. DAYUM thats good eatin'.

Zendetta
1st February 09, 04:53 PM
Before this thread goes any further, we have to establish some of the most basic parameters, without which any discussion of the finer points is rendered moot:

I cook over charcoal

Thank you, kind sir.

Robot Jesus
1st February 09, 07:33 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n195/Terror_Strike/propane.jpg
ok this is the experiment, Iíve got some pork shoulder steaks, Iím going to brine them for an hour or so

Brine,
kosher salt
liquid smoke
brown sugar
cider vinegar
bourbon (Jim beam)

then use a sodium reduced version of the above dry rub.

smoke them on my grill tomorrow using indirect heat.

baste in sauce

soy
liquid smoke
bourbon
cider vinegar
Worchester
brown sugar.

Equipoise
1st February 09, 08:04 PM
Liquid smoke... hmm ?

Robot Jesus
2nd February 09, 10:27 PM
alright im mixing up the sauce. how think should it be?

ketchup thick?
my initial feeling is to have it somewhat thin and catch the drippings and baste with a turkey baster, then after their done cooking add more sugar and thicken in a saucepan.

Equipoise
2nd February 09, 11:31 PM
It depends on whether you're marinating it or you're going to sit there and baste it for hours.

Tanhalen21
2nd February 09, 11:56 PM
my initial feeling is to have it somewhat thin and catch the drippings and baste with a turkey baster, then after their done cooking add more sugar and thicken in a saucepan.
This is a good idea. I think the key to good ribs is basting the fuck out of it so you get that really nice glazed texture and then add a much thicker sauce near the end of cooking with some sauce on the side if you feel like adding more after.

One of the things I hate is when it tastes like someone just squeezed bottled BBQ sauce all over the ribs and handed them to you.

Robot Jesus
3rd February 09, 03:18 PM
the issue i had was the wood was burning too fast. next time I'll use lower heat

lant3rn
3rd February 09, 03:30 PM
For ribs, I usually use a mix of a spicy rub and a simple sweet basting sauce. I've posted my favorite pork rub recipe before.

4 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons paprika (smoked if you've got it)
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground oregano
1 tablespoon cayenne
1 teaspoon black pepper (rough grind)

Rub on both sides of the ribs, makes enough for 4 racks.

For the basting sauce, I mix 1/4 cup Soy Sauce, 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, a teaspoon of worstershire sauce, and 2 tbsp of tomato paste. Those are rough guesses since I usually go by taste, but they'll work.

I cook over charcoal, on a weber grill. Basically you pile the coals on the side and put a pan of water in the middle. Turn and baste them every 10-15 minutes.

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/recipe/grilling101/directindirect.aspx
to many flavors going on here for my taste.
You don't like the taste of grilled pork/beef?

Robot Jesus
3rd February 09, 03:35 PM
I actualy dont remember what went into the dry rub, because i don't remember makeing it.

HappyOldGuy
3rd February 09, 03:58 PM
may to many flavors going on here for my taste.
You don't like the taste of grilled pork/beef?

There is nothing wrong with grilled pork.

But we're talking about barbecue.

Kiko
3rd February 09, 04:57 PM
Low and slow is the key to BBQ. I like a water smoker. Looks like R2D2 and the meat just falls apart/off the bone.

Tanhalen21
3rd February 09, 09:23 PM
Low and slow is the key to BBQ. I like a water smoker. Looks like R2D2 and the meat just falls apart/off the bone.

Contrary to popular belief, good BBQ ribs don't fall off the bone.

SFGOON
3rd February 09, 09:29 PM
The only proper way to make BBQ is to;

1. slaughter the goat! remove all the inside bits, fill it full of rocks from the fire then wrap it in spiced date tree leaves.

2. Bury the works for 12 hours.

3. The results are delicious.

Equipoise
3rd February 09, 09:30 PM
What? Yeah they do.

Equipoise
3rd February 09, 09:37 PM
That's a matter of preference. I'm guessing you mean you don't want baby food which of course is a given.