PDA

View Full Version : No country for "oldboy"

EuropIan
27th January 09, 03:19 AM
So apparently Steven Spielberg decided it was a good idea to do an American version of the Manga "Oldboy"

Why? I don't know.

Apparently Will Smith will star in it.

Steven Spielberg says his Will Smith feature returns to the manga roots rather than the 2003 Korean adaptation...

Film School Rejects report that Steven Spielberg's 2010 Old Boy (that's the current IMDB listing for the title of the project, rather than the widely reported Oldboy) will return to the graphic source manga by Nobuaki Minegishi and Garon Tsuchiya. Will Smith has confirmed that he is taking the lead role.

Smith told FSR after a red-carpet premiere of Seven Pounds that Spielberg's film will not be a remake of Chan-wook Park's 2003 Korean adaptation. When asked what direction the film would take, Smith said:

"We’re looking at that right now. Not the film though, it’s the original source material. There’s the original comics of ‘Oldboy’ that they made the first film from. And that’s what we’re working from, not an adaptation of the film…"

The Dreamworks/Universal project is set to re-unite Smith with I Am Legend (and incidentally, Thor) scribe Mark Protosevich.
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/150353/will_smith_in_old_boy_spielberg_says_not_a_remake. html

Will Smith is totally stoked, apparently:

It’s been several months since we last heard about Steven Spielberg’s plans to adapt the popular manga “Oldboy” into a live-action film starring Will Smith, but fans of both the manga and the original live-action adaptation released in 2003 have been buzzing about whether the edgy story will be softened for American audiences.

With the film and the original manga well-known for their disturbing themes — a crucial plot point involves incest — and graphic violence, is the typically family-friendly Spielberg up to the task of staying true to the dark, violent nature of the story?

“It’s the thing that Steven was attracted to,” Smith told MTV News. “We’re working from the comic and we haven’t done anything other than talk about it. So we’ll see what happens, but he’s not going to do anything that would be less than stunning.”

“Oldboy” tells the story of a young man who has been imprisoned in solitary confinement for a decade of his life, with only a television as a link to the outside world. When he finally breaks free, he sets off on a quest to exact vengeance upon his unknown jailers. The manga was previously adapted to the screen by Korean filmmaker Park Chan-wook, whose film garnered substantial critical accolades around the world upon its release, and has received high praise from action-film junkies such as Quentin Tarantino.

In one of the story’s most memorable and visceral scenes, the film’s protagonist turns up at a sushi restaurant after years of eating gruel in his prison, and demands to “eat something alive.” His tormentors present him with a live octopus that nearly kills him as he devours it, making for an unforgettable — and controversial — sequence.

So, cross your fingers and hope that Will Smith has an appetite for octopus, “Oldboy” fans!

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/01/26/steven-spielbergs-oldboy-adaptation-to-be-nothing-less-than-stunning-says-will-smith/

I am incredibly skeptical and I think my heart just pooped a little.

Steve
27th January 09, 03:22 AM
FAIL.

EuropIan
27th January 09, 03:24 AM
I mean, the Korean adaptaton was awesome in every way.

Steve
27th January 09, 03:25 AM
Yeah, Will Smith is going to do this:

BxZenU-R84U

mrblackmagic
27th January 09, 08:36 AM
Will Smith??? WILL FUCKING SMITH???

Now I just hate that guy.

KhorneliusPraxx
27th January 09, 09:02 AM
Let's get this straight, I loved Oldboy, the movie. I didn't know it originated from any other source material. I definitely think that there shouldn't be another movie made. That being said...
1) Steven Spielberg is a God!!!
2) Will Smith is awesome!!!
3) With their powers combined, they couldn't possibly make a bad film.

CoffeeFan
27th January 09, 01:10 PM
Dear god that is going to suck hardcore. I actually could see Will Smith doing a good job with this material but Steven Spielberg hasn't made a decent movie in a while. I don't think he has it in him to make the movie as dark as it needs to be.

Plus it's going to be hard to match the awsomeness of the original

KhorneliusPraxx
27th January 09, 01:24 PM
Dear god that is going to suck hardcore.
I cautiously disagree

I actually could see Will Smith doing a good job with this material...
Agreed

but Steven Spielberg hasn't made a decent movie in a while.
I assume we are talking about directing? The last 6 were...Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls, Munich, War of the Worlds, The Terminal, Catch Me If You Can, Minority Report. Three of those were GREAT, one was good, and the final two were, at worst, watchable.

I don't think he has it in him to make the movie as dark as it needs to be.
I'm not sure I can entirely agree with you here.

Plus it's going to be hard to match the awsomeness of the original
That is understatement.

Spade: The Real Snake
27th January 09, 02:06 PM
I forsee Will Smith and Steven Speilberg changing the "big ending reveal"

no way do I see the two of them keeping it the same.....which really, would be fine with me.

I was digging the original until then.

EuropIan
27th January 09, 02:29 PM
I forsee Will Smith and Steven Speilberg changing the "big ending reveal"

no way do I see the two of them keeping it the same.....which really, would be fine with me.

I was digging the original until then.
lolamericanending

KhorneliusPraxx
27th January 09, 03:39 PM
the ending was the point of the whole fucking movie

that is like saying...The 6th Sense would be my favorite movie if you cut out the last ten minutes.

jubei33
27th January 09, 04:00 PM
yeah, spielburg has been known to tackle the big issues. I predict will smith will find he'd been imprisoned by aliens to avert global catastrophe. There's no way it will be about incest or revenge debts

Feryk
27th January 09, 04:06 PM
Revenge debts? Sure.

Incest. No way.

MSphinx
27th January 09, 04:23 PM
Oh God.

It's being written by the guy who adapted I Am Legend.

We are pretty much guaranteed the ending won't be anything like the movie or the manga.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23705

27th January 09, 04:39 PM
the ending was the point of the whole fucking movie

that is like saying...The 6th Sense would be my favorite movie if you cut out the last ten minutes.

The ending was creepy.

mrblackmagic
27th January 09, 05:38 PM
My beef.

1I'm wondering who the supporting cast will be. What English speaking actors could really compare to the villain that Ji-tae Yu created? Seriously? Gary Oldman? He's probably too old.

They'll probably hire any number of "girlfriend" actresses to play the Mi-do character. Which was pretty underrated already.

2.I'm more worried about losing dark humor of the film than Spielberg not exploring the subject matter of the film. He has gone to some really dark places in the past and done so unflinchingly. I don't know if he could or even if he would attempt to make it as gleefully cynical and misanthropic as the original or the manga.
But he'll probably produce it not direct it anyway.

3. Will isn't going to eat a live octopus. I'm being funny, but I'm also serious. Choi went really went the distance for the film. I don't think Will would do half the stuff he did at least on screen.

4. The original movie was fine except for the hypnotism part, but otherwise fine.

27th January 09, 06:24 PM
I fear wire-hammer-fu and the inevitable "Bourne-ing" or "Batman-ing" of the hallway scene

mrblackmagic
28th January 09, 08:47 AM
I went back and read a few of the original mangas. It's actually a pretty straightforward story. I don't think they'll have a problem adapting it, but it's still not going to be as good as the first movie.

The Link (http://manga-links.blogspot.com/2008/02/old-boy-manga-downloads.html)

CoffeeFan
29th January 09, 07:27 PM
My beef.

3. Will isn't going to eat a live octopus. I'm being funny, but I'm also serious. Choi went really went the distance for the film. I don't think Will would do half the stuff he did at least on screen.

An interesting note about the live octopus. Choi is a Buddhist and doesn't eat meat yet consumed 4 live octopuses for the movie (supposedly saying a prayer before each time)

mrblackmagic
29th January 09, 09:34 PM
See. Will wouldn't even stage kiss Michael C Hall in Six Degrees of Separation and his character was gay.

Zendetta
30th January 09, 04:43 PM
Well, neither would I!

Of course I'm not a closeted scientologist whose career centers on playing Leading Man roles on stage.

Shawarma
30th January 09, 04:49 PM
Will Smith is an amazing character. He's never been an especially good actor, hiphop artist or comedian and yet he has enjoyed MASSIVE success ever since he was a young teen. What gives? Did he sign a very lucrative deal with Satan from an early age?

30th January 09, 05:05 PM
I see this thread turning in many directions.

Most of them bad.

Cullion
30th January 09, 06:08 PM
I don't think he has it in him to make the movie as dark as it needs to be.

I thought Munich was pretty dark.

MSphinx
30th January 09, 08:58 PM
I thought Munich was pretty dark.

Then there's Schindler's List.

Tanhalen21
30th January 09, 09:11 PM
Will Smith is famous because he's LOVEABLE.

30th January 09, 11:35 PM

We are almost there.....ALMOST in the direction I feared.

Tanhalen21
31st January 09, 01:13 AM
It's fucking true

Sun Wukong
31st January 09, 09:49 AM
Spielberg did that holocaust movie, and that was pretty dark... but, I just don't see Spielberg pulling this one off right.

Has Spielberg ever done a movie about "teh street" like this?

I mean, I've never seen the anime or that flick up there... but that was a pretty hardcore crime movie it seems. Smith has never done anything like that either. The closest he got was "Bad Boys"... and uh... while funny, it was extremely not hardcore.

Sun Wukong
31st January 09, 09:57 AM

Right, he's charming. I'm not queer or nuthin' but the man is extremely likeable.

31st January 09, 10:00 AM
Still awaiting the post using the word "Magical" or "Mystical" referencing Spike Lee......

Sun Wukong
31st January 09, 11:21 AM
Spike Lee? magi-mysti-whauuhhh?

I always felt like Spike Lee was a guy that made great indy-film material, but not really up to the big box office production value challenge.

31st January 09, 12:06 PM
Legendary director SPIKE LEE is slamming Will Smith for agreeing to play a mystical caddy to Matt Damon, in THE LEGEND OF BAGGER VANCE.

At a lecture at top American university HARVARD, Lee referred to the movie as 'Driving Mr Damon' for painting such a pretty picture of racial relations in the Depression-era South. He told the student audience, in real life, black men were being "castrated and lynched left and right. "With all that going on, why are you trying to teach Matt Damon a golf swing?"

Which some say coined this phrase (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Negro)

Which ended up being used, recently, to slam Obama in parody song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfxVkLhlu5s)
as put out by someone within the Republican Party.

Cullion
31st January 09, 12:56 PM
Then there's Schindler's List.

Schindler's list was more uplifting I thought. About the difference a couple of determined good people can do in dark times. Munich was just dark. Everybody comes out of it pretty screwed up except for a few horribly cynical old Mossad officers.

Steve
31st January 09, 01:02 PM
So now we know that every one that is sort of in support of this film never watched the movie, okay.

Tanhalen21
31st January 09, 03:52 PM
Wait, black people aren't magical?

mrblackmagic
31st January 09, 04:12 PM
Is it magic if it can be scientifically explained.

Schindler's list was more uplifting I thought. About the difference a couple of determined good people can do in dark times. Munich was just dark. Everybody comes out of it pretty screwed up except for a few horribly cynical old Mossad officers.

And Efraim Halevy is nothing like that in real life.

31st January 09, 04:47 PM
I just think Will Smith seems like a decent sort of cat......Scientology aside.

mrblackmagic
31st January 09, 06:57 PM
I don't have a personal problem with him either, moralfags. I'm just sick of him making all of these vehicle films.

Again, I think a faithful adaption to the manga could be done by Will and Steven in their sleep. I just don't think they should.

EuropIan
1st February 09, 06:05 AM
I can't wait for the Bollywood version.

For those of you who havn't seen the Korean version yet: the best way to describe Old Boy is as a modern day Greek tradegy, in Korean.

1st February 09, 11:10 AM
Let us begin the Moral Outrage (tm)(c)(R) for the oft-discussed Battle Royale remake.

KhorneliusPraxx
2nd February 09, 09:25 AM
1I'm wondering who the supporting cast will be. What English speaking actors could really compare to the villain that Ji-tae Yu created? Seriously? Gary Oldman? He's probably too old.
Heath Ledger...oh, wait...

They'll probably hire any number of "girlfriend" actresses to play the Mi-do character. Which was pretty underrated already.
I can't think of any 18-20 year old black/half black actresses.

2.I'm more worried about losing dark humor of the film than Spielberg not exploring the subject matter of the film. He has gone to some really dark places in the past and done so unflinchingly. I don't know if he could or even if he would attempt to make it as gleefully cynical and misanthropic as the original or the manga.
But he'll probably produce it not direct it anyway.
nothing to add

It would make no sense for him to eat a live octopus. He isn't going to be playing a black Korean. His character will be American and he will probably be eating a bloody raw steak. Not as bad but it will still gross out some people.

4. The original movie was fine except for the hypnotism part, but otherwise fine.
I understand but the hypnotism was kind of needed for the story to make sense.

KhorneliusPraxx
2nd February 09, 09:29 AM
See. Will wouldn't even stage kiss Michael C Hall in Six Degrees of Separation and his character was gay.
BWWWWAAAAHAAAHAAAA!
first, you mean Anthony Michael Hall,
second, do you want to see Anthony Michael Hall kiss Will Smith, really?

KhorneliusPraxx
2nd February 09, 09:38 AM
Will Smith is an amazing character. He's never been an especially good actor, hiphop artist or comedian and yet he has enjoyed MASSIVE success ever since he was a young teen. What gives? Did he sign a very lucrative deal with Satan from an early age?
is there such a thing a good teenager 80's rapper? I don't think so. It was a gimmick and it made a shitload of money. He had the perfect personality for it and BAM!, he won the lottery of life. He never acted until the first day on the set of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. For were he came from and how he started, I think it is amazing that he has become the Hollywood success that he has. I like him and think he does a great job in almost everything I've seen him in.

KhorneliusPraxx
2nd February 09, 09:42 AM
I can't wait for the Bollywood version.
personally, I would rather see that than an American version.

2nd February 09, 10:19 AM
I can't think of any 18-20 year old black/half black actresses.

What about the "Lilly" chick from Cloverfield?