PDA

View Full Version : President Obama's first term as Leader of the free world

Dark Helmet
18th January 09, 08:21 PM
Will you have good expectations of the first term (4 years) of President Barack Obama?

I think that is a straight forward a question as can be asked.However ,I am curious as to everyone's political direction now before the inoguration.I for one consider myself to be a centrist-conservative AND I have good hopes for Obama's first term

Dark Helmet
18th January 09, 08:30 PM
One mistake in the title of the thread.It's Leader of the Free WORLD.

Equipoise
18th January 09, 08:42 PM
Where's the option "I'm a moderate and I have **** expectations" ?

Dark Helmet
18th January 09, 08:53 PM
No fence-sitters need vote.You must lean towards one side?

Wounded Ronin
18th January 09, 08:54 PM
It's not like shit can get any worse. OTOH just maybe he can pull something extraordinary off. It's pretty much self-defeating bullshit to be uniformly pessimistic, though, so for now I'm hoping for something extraordinary. I mean, I might as well.

HappyOldGuy
18th January 09, 08:56 PM
Jackbooted thugs are pretty much not moderates by definition.

I think he's going to do as good a job as is possible, but he can't walk on water and he is inheriting a fucked up mess. He's going to have to focus on the economy for his first term, and he's not gonna be able to spend much of anything after that to accomplish the things he wanted to accomplish.

Dark Helmet
18th January 09, 09:07 PM
It's not like shit can get any worse. OTOH just maybe he can pull something extraordinary off. It's pretty much self-defeating bullshit to be uniformly pessimistic, though, so for now I'm hoping for something extraordinary. I mean, I might as well.
I understand your point of view.But there were people who thought that things would get worse.I don't mean those bible-thumping fanatics who expected the end of days.But actual economic and social collapse.

Dark Helmet
18th January 09, 09:08 PM
Jackbooted thugs are pretty much not moderates by definition.

I think he's going to do as good a job as is possible, but he can't walk on water and he is inheriting a fucked up mess. He's going to have to focus on the economy for his first term, and he's not gonna be able to spend much of anything after that to accomplish the things he wanted to accomplish.
One word : Carter

Equipoise
18th January 09, 09:09 PM
I have liberal attitudes in certain areas, but conservative in others.

Like gay marriage. I could care less...marry whomever you want, just don't push it down my throat. Or religion for example. I think making decisions for the public/foreign policy based on religion alone is idiotic. I'm a big proponent of education and feel it should be much cheaper for college, etc.

As for the conservative part...I'm a police officer...take your pick of issues.

f4n4n
18th January 09, 09:10 PM
Oldguy summed it up pretty much. He just got the bailout handed to him, he is sitting on the Irak/Afghanistan issue and a couple more things. He has to solve shit he didn't start and to be honest he is in a big pile of it.

As a personal note I hope they will loosen up the visa situation a bit. And I hope that he finally will use the power he has to stop the Palestina conflict.

Shawarma
18th January 09, 09:11 PM
As for the conservative part...I'm a police officer...take your pick of issues.

I'll take "Niggers" for 500$, Alex.

Equipoise
18th January 09, 09:13 PM
I'll take "Niggers" for 500$, Alex.

http://www.lolwut.com/layout/lolwut.jpg

f4n4n
18th January 09, 09:13 PM
I'll take "Niggers" for 500$, Alex. You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Shawarma again.

HappyOldGuy
18th January 09, 09:16 PM
One word : Carter

He's not another Carter. Carter was a washington outsider who couldn't manage his own party in congress. They had been in power too long and saw no reason to play nice with the president. The current democratic congress doesn't have that sense of smugness having been out of power for most of recent history and they also know and respect Obama. Doesn't mean he isn't going to have problems (he is) but I think he has more support than the mostly left folks who are likely to give him headaches.

3moose1
18th January 09, 09:47 PM
Today, a 35 year old man shoveled my walk for $20.

He did a good job, dug out my car and everything.

I hope obama doesn't fix the economy, because no 8 yr old would do a job like that.

Dark Helmet
18th January 09, 09:49 PM
Actually what I meant was Obamas will be inheriting very similar economic conditions that Carter faced aswell.A US just ending it's war in early 70's.A terrible recession and more importantly the Iranian revolution commenced in the middle of his term.If you listen to some people today you would think that that was what Carter had planned all along.
He's not another Carter. Carter was a washington outsider who couldn't manage his own party in congress. They had been in power too long and saw no reason to play nice with the president. The current democratic congress doesn't have that sense of smugness having been out of power for most of recent history and they also know and respect Obama. Doesn't mean he isn't going to have problems (he is) but I think he has more support than the mostly left folks who are likely to give him headaches.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
18th January 09, 09:57 PM
The same people blame the great depression on FDR and still think Nixon was innocent. Fuck 'em.

MrBadGuy
18th January 09, 10:15 PM
Obama is going to suck for two reasons:

He's made every promise under the sun, and before he even started his jizzob has admitted he won't be able to do all that he promised.

Because everyone has been giving him free blowjobs since he announced his presidency.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
18th January 09, 10:27 PM
Posts like that are why you don't offend me.

MrBadGuy
18th January 09, 10:48 PM
Obama is going to do a great job because he ejaculates rainbows.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
18th January 09, 10:56 PM
That's neither here nor there. Your logic was that Obama will be a bad president because a lot of people like him and he made campaign promises.

MrBadGuy
18th January 09, 11:29 PM
That was really all I could go on, considering how he hasn't had the chance to do much.

Lemme try one more your style...

One time, I saw him wear brown shoes with a black suit. Swear to god.

Spade: The Real Snake
18th January 09, 11:48 PM
I reasonably think we could sustain all life as we know it on Obama's bowel movements.

MrGalt
19th January 09, 12:13 AM
Maybe people will finally get an education on what presidents can and can't do this time. Bush wasn't the Evil Emperor who caused all the world's problem and Good King Barack isn't going to be able to solve them all by making grand proclamations either. I rather like the checks and balances that keep one man from having the power to make the country do a 180 every four years.

Sun Wukong
19th January 09, 12:55 AM
This poll is missing a very important fifth option:

I have no idea what to expect; this shit going on now is crazy, yo.

Sun Wukong
19th January 09, 01:01 AM
As much as I admire and truly have high hopes for Obama, I wouldn't go so far as to say I have high expectations.

Let's look at this with a clear, sane eye.

1. We have a highly endangered economy; indeed, a highly endangered global economy.

2. A war in Israel where there can be no winner.

3. A war in Iraq that should have never been fought, but has outlasted WWII in length.

4. A war in Afghanistan, which we might actually be able to get something positive from.

5. A gigantic national debt.

6. A GIGANTIC NATIONAL DEBT CRISIS.

7. A badly tarnished international reputation.

That's just the things off the top of my head.

There is almost no chance that Obama can get through this without incurring some blame for the mess that's already there.

There is no good solution to any of these problems without negative side effects. For some of those problems, the American people would shit themselves rather than actually deal with them the right way.

That's right, I'm looking at you #5.

Edit: you know what we have to do about the national debt right?

Raise taxes. Cut spending EVERYWHERE in the government, including the military (do we really, really STILL need enough nukes to destroy the planet more than once?). Raise in the interest rate to a sane number.

HappyOldGuy
19th January 09, 01:16 AM
Maybe people will finally get an education on what presidents can and can't do this time. Bush wasn't the Evil Emperor who caused all the world's problem and Good King Barack isn't going to be able to solve them all by making grand proclamations either.
Half right. Bush genuinely was the worst president in US history.

Edit: but any other president probably would have made most of the same mistakes about the economy.

Sun Wukong
19th January 09, 01:25 AM
The same people blame the great depression on FDR and still think Nixon was innocent. Fuck 'em.

Dude, I actually had to recently explain to a 60 year old republican exactly what Nixon did that was illegal and why it was morally wrong.

Arhetton
19th January 09, 02:32 AM
The more I read about him the more I think 'politics as usual' - although I do believe the man has a lot of charisma and wants to do things with the office. My impression of GWB was that he was kind of a lame duck, pushed around by his advisors and in my suspicions, his dad.

I read this right wing article about GWB the other day which was pretty much fellating him and saying he will go down in history for single handedly preventing every (imaginary) terror attack in the united states that could have happened in the past 7 years, fixing the democrats economic bungles etc. I couldn't believe the article, it was a load of shit. Although I admit that democrats hold equal responsibility for the mess of the economy and republicans do also contribute positively to the state of the nation. The article didn't mention how he massively expanded executive power and trampled the constitution though...

I have lowered expectations of Obama. I am very worried about the world situation in general though, and I hope he is a strong leader for diplomacy and peace amoungst nations.

Sun Wukong
19th January 09, 02:51 AM
Sharing the blame doesn't mean the blame is equal.

It's not even close, the republican party is far more responsible for this shit than not.

Just fucking look at the deficit spending for Reagan, and the two Bush's compared to Carter and Clinton.

5 out of the last 7 presidents have been republican, wielding the power of Veto, or have you forgotten what that is?

The republican party had a majority in congress going all the way back to 1994 from 2006. PLUS, control OF ALL 3 branches of government for 6 fucking consecutive years right before the executive branch and legislative branch deadlocked for about 18 months before everything went to shit.

Don't get confused, there's plenty of blame to go around, but it just so happens that most of that shit belongs with republican politicians.

WarPhalange
19th January 09, 03:47 AM
Bush sucked and Obama will be a God in comparison, but people are simply expecting too much of him. He can't get everything done because of the system we have to work with. This system is in place specifically for not letting a president do all he wants (it didn't work for the past 8 years, though...).

I am optimistic about the future, just not blissful.

danno
19th January 09, 07:18 AM
praise the gods that bush is no longer running america. that's good news for everyone.

i think people are going to eventually get bored with obama and become disappointed that he doesn't turn the US into the new garden of eden. despite doing a decent job as prez.

oh, and fingers crossed that he doesn't get assassinated.

bob
19th January 09, 07:40 AM
Bush sucked and Obama will be a God in comparison, but people are simply expecting too much of him. He can't get everything done because of the system we have to work with. This system is in place specifically for not letting a president do all he wants (it didn't work for the past 8 years, though...).

Are you fucking kidding me? Did you see the way Obama landed that plane on the Hudson?

19th January 09, 09:48 AM
Half right. Bush genuinely was the worst president in US history.

Edit: but any other president probably would have made most of the same mistakes about the economy.

And many of the history books I read stated many felt that way about Lincoln as the Union began disolving with his imminent election and subsequent presidency.

Fact of the matter, at this point we are all viewing him with a jaundiced eye.

Scrapper
19th January 09, 10:30 AM
I am a fiscal conservative, and strong proponent of asymmetrical warfare.

I think Obama made A LOT of promises, which he is now backing away from. I fear that he is more of a rock star than a leader. I am terrified of his cult of personality.

However; I am resolved to giving him the benefit of the doubt. He won the election, so he gets his four years. I think the economy will sort itself out regardless of who is in charge, because markets always do. I did not blame the government for the current crisis, and I won't give them credit for fixing it. Markets are organic. This is how it goes.

So, basically, I am hopeful, but guarded. I do not want this new administration to hamstring our military, half-ass our intelligence operations. I certainly don't want them to give all my tax money to beggars and layabouts, be they of the wall street or skid row variety. Entitlement and instant gratification made this problem, and it sure as hell won't fix it.

Thomas Jefferson once remarked that trying to tax a nation into prosperity was like standing in a bucket and trying to lift yourself by the handles.

patfromlogan
19th January 09, 12:10 PM
It will be such a relief to have a president who can talk.

Obama's military appointments indicate a moderate realistic outlook.

The real people who will suffer will be the comics. What will Cobert and crew have to work with?

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DG4kKpBwE1Y8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSE_saVX_2A

Now if only the Republicans had won there'd be grist for the mill for the next for years
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu_VRaVaEjw

KhorneliusPraxx
19th January 09, 12:28 PM
Everyone knows how I feel...I have nothing new to say.

jkdbuck76
19th January 09, 12:36 PM
Damn, KP. What kind of an avatar is that?

I wish Mr. Obama well. I'm conservative but there is not much of a track record on Mr. Obama. I just hope for the best.

HappyOldGuy
19th January 09, 12:39 PM
By the way. I am excitied about having him in office, but I am officially sick to fucking death of hearing about the inauguration.

KhorneliusPraxx
19th January 09, 01:42 PM
By the way. I am excitied about having him in office, but I am officially sick to fucking death of hearing about the coronation.
you're not the only one.

Robot Jesus
19th January 09, 02:16 PM
I am hopefull for Obama because he resembels hitler.

he has the same cult of personality, is inherating similar problems that he can't be blamed for, he allows his nation to be proud of themselves again.

hitler solved his nations economic problems through governmrnt intervention, Obama proposes solveing economic problems through government intervention.

and then there that line in audacity of hope about annexing the sudatenland.

P.S. KP at least have real tits in you avatar, everyone knows farang ding dong is fake.

KhorneliusPraxx
19th January 09, 02:22 PM
maybe tomorrow

Sun Wukong
19th January 09, 03:01 PM
And many of the history books I read stated many felt that way about Lincoln as the Union began disolving with his imminent election and subsequent presidency.

Fact of the matter, at this point we are all viewing him with a jaundiced eye.

Did you just compare Abraham Lincoln and George W. Bush? Fucking seriously?

Because, I have news for you, Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, lead the victory to the civil war under his administration, and maintained the union while there was a war going on to tear it apart.

What did G.W. Bush do, besides fuck up again and again? I'm not saying he was the worst president ever, (because I'm not 300 years old) but he definitely falls in the same category as Warren G. Harding as one of the worst suck ass presidents in history.

19th January 09, 03:14 PM
Did you just compare Abraham Lincoln and George W. Bush? Fucking seriously?

What I stated was:
one cannot comment on the legacy of a president 2 days before they leave office.

Because, I have news for you, Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, lead the victory to the civil war under his administration, and maintained the union while there was a war going on to tear it apart.
You do realize the nation SPLIT during the civil war, right?
Complete with 2 seperate governments, two separate militaries and two separate currencies, right?

Lincoln HIMSELF thought he was a fucking failure while in office and history has metted out that he did the right thing.

However, at the time he was in office there were three (if memory serves) planned attempts to kill him, one of which was successful, all because of his policy towards forcing one-half of the nation into doing something they didn't want to, right or wrong.

This doesn't sound like a "successful President" by today's standard, however over time, this opinion has changed.

What did G.W. Bush do, besides fuck up again and again? I'm not saying he was the worst president ever, (because I'm not 300 years old) but he definitely falls in the same category as Warren G. Harding as one of the worst suck ass presidents in history.

What he did is inherit one of the biggest shitballs in Presidential history.

Whether his decisions are determined to be right or wrong shouldn't be decided today.

I can imagine the outrage if Bush had arrested reporters who disagreed with him the way Lincoln did.

HappyOldGuy
19th January 09, 03:23 PM

By which you mean absolute power and respect in the world and the most successfull economy in our history?

Starting and failing at wars with no justification, not even a selfish one is pretty much default failure on the part of a chief executive.

19th January 09, 03:50 PM
By which you mean absolute power and respect in the world and the most successfull economy in our history?[quote]

Bush did nothing to stave off the mortgage industries shitacular prostitution of "well-meaning" policies to allow people who would not normally be able to afford a house find their way into one, I will agree.

[quote]Starting and failing at wars with no justification, not even a selfish one is pretty much default failure on the part of a chief executive.
And allowing one's own country to declare war on itself isn't?

HappyOldGuy
19th January 09, 03:57 PM
And allowing one's own country to declare war on itself isn't?

The south seceded before he even took office.

19th January 09, 03:58 PM
The south seceded before he even took office.

The South seceded because he was going to be elected.

Shawarma
19th January 09, 04:00 PM
My category isn't on there. Chalk 1 up mentally for "I reject your faggot liberal/conservative football team mentality and refuse to be labeled because I am cool and special. Besides, Obama is gonna fail, not neccesarily because he's not clever but because the situation he's inheriting is so bad. Also, he might actually start believing his own hype and think he can walk on water."

Shawarma
19th January 09, 04:01 PM
Lincoln won the most serious conflict the US has ever been embroiled in. Bush started 2 wars against worthless 3rd world shitholes and failed to win them in 7 and 5 years.

Lincoln 1, Bush -5000, if you ask me.

Sun Wukong
19th January 09, 04:08 PM
What I stated was:
one cannot comment on the legacy of a president 2 days before they leave office.
Yes, they surely can. Perhaps not with a huge degree of accuracy, but I'm fairly sure Bush's historical legacy is going to be a crappy one.

You do realize the nation SPLIT during the civil war, right?
Complete with 2 seperate governments, two separate militaries and two separate currencies, right?
Yes, yes and by the time he was shot while still in office he had reunited the Union. Not too damn shabby in my opinion.

Lincoln HIMSELF thought he was a fucking failure while in office and history has metted out that he did the right thing.
Self doubt, the mark of a humble man. One of Lincoln's favorite pass-times was self-deprecating humor. I'm willing to bet that's just one of the many qualities that he DOES NOT share with GW Bush.

However, at the time he was in office there were three (if memory serves) planned attempts to kill him, one of which was successful, all because of his policy towards forcing one-half of the nation into doing something they didn't want to, right or wrong.
Wow. You went there. You don't see how exactly that these two things are NOT the same?

How ending American slavery is in no way equal to anything that GW Bush did. How defying a huge portion of our own country to do something so pure and good made Lincoln even more of a great American icon and shining example of all that is good about our nation? Sure, I guess you could draw a comparison, as long as you leave out little things like RIGHT AND WRONG, and vast magnitude of differences between the actions of the two no matter how far apart they just might be.

This doesn't sound like a "successful President" by today's standard, however over time, this opinion has changed.
Are you taking crazy pills? Or is it me?

Uh, excuse me? He inherited a budget suplus and pleasant lack of being involved in a useless war. What else might you be referring to?

Whether his decisions are determined to be right or wrong shouldn't be decided today.
ARE YOU SHITTING ME!?!
"Dearest Scarlet,

I realize last night I took a huge steaming dump on your chest and not only donkey punched you into a concusssion but gave you every variety of dirty sanchez I could think of whilst seriously violating your rectum. You looked so proper and refined in your hoop skirt and so demure in your demeanor that I felt I must act with some degree of decisiveness to feast upon the fruits of your body.

I know you may have some harsh misgivings regarding the late hours of last nights activities, but now is not the time for you to decide how to feel about it. I suggest you take a warm bath and contemplate these acts slowly over the next several decades and hold me in comparison to the many many men who might surely soil you in the future and indeed have probably properly soiled you in the past.

I can only hope that the taint I have left upon your rich, snow white crevasse can never be washed off, but that is for you to decide much, much later in life.

Sincerely,
Rett Butler"

Sun Wukong
19th January 09, 04:12 PM
The South seceded because he was going to be elected.

The South seceded because he was going to be elected and was feared to be about to remove their means of production and wealth: - SLAVERY.

Cullion
19th January 09, 04:20 PM
hmm, we're comparing Bush and Lincoln?

Well, Bush did pull off some half-decent standup that Sirc posted once.

Sun Wukong
19th January 09, 04:24 PM
Another difference between Lincoln and Bush. Lincoln didn't need to hire speech writers to make himself sound intelligent or witty.

Cullion
19th January 09, 04:39 PM
Bush had a hot daughter. You've got to give him that.

HappyOldGuy
19th January 09, 04:44 PM
Bush had a hot daughter. You've got to give him that.

If yer not her daddy, you get hot daughter credit for hitting that.
If yer her daddy, you get hot daughter credit for her not being a drunken stripper.

Which are we suggesting?

KhorneliusPraxx
19th January 09, 04:49 PM
Lincoln was probably awkward and clumsy, the shoe thrower would have probably hit him right on the nose.

Cullion
19th January 09, 04:51 PM
If yer not her daddy, you get hot daughter credit for hitting that.
If yer her daddy, you get hot daughter credit for her not being a drunken stripper.

Which are we suggesting?

To be honest I hadn't really thought it through. I'd just like to fuck her mouth and then thank George in person.

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Jenna-Bush.jpg

Aphid Jones
19th January 09, 04:56 PM
She resembles him too much for me to find her attractive.

boondock lee
19th January 09, 05:12 PM
Bush started a war on the premise that American security was endangered from Saddam's WMDs and connections to terrorists, only to find out that it was largely false and entangled the US in a several year war with various militias.

Lincoln, on the other hand, had to fight a civil war in order to preserve the Union and free the slaves from a lifetime of shittiness from white southern folk. Not to mention that the tensions between the North and the South were rising in the years before the Civil War.

Big difference. The final fate of Iraq is still in the air, but historically speaking, Bush is easily one of the worst presidents in US history from Iraq, to his general lame duckness on issues like healthcare, education, immigration, to the scandals that has surrounded his admistration from day one. ( 2000 Election)

As for Obama, I have good expectations that he might make some progress (or at least try). Hell, considering the standards from number 43, he is already looking to be a better president then him.

Cullion
19th January 09, 05:14 PM
She resembles him too much for me to find her attractive.

Isn't there are part of you that would like to see him kneeling before you with his face covered in your semen?

Tanhalen21
19th January 09, 05:27 PM
Isn't there are part of you that would like to see him kneeling before you with his face covered in your semen?

Dude... you're giving me a hard-on

Dark Helmet
19th January 09, 06:09 PM
I am a fiscal conservative, and strong proponent of asymmetrical warfare. I too consider myself a fiscally responsible conservative also.I believe that for a nation to not waste enormous amounts of cash is to not spend it on unnecessary stealth fighter planes and aircraft carriers.The other way is to not start wars.

I think Obama made A LOT of promises, which he is now backing away from. I fear that he is more of a rock star than a leader. I am terrified of his cult of personality.I'm sorry but could you show me which ones he has?

I think the economy will sort itself out regardless of who is in charge, because markets always do. I did not blame the government for the current crisis, and I won't give them credit for fixing it. Markets are organic. This is how it goes.I don't know.The Japanese are still trying to climb out of their own housing-bubble that started in 1990.I have to say that the United States will be going through some very tough times for quite a long time.

So, basically, I am hopeful, but guarded. I do not want this new administration to hamstring our military, half-ass our intelligence operations. I certainly don't want them to give all my tax money to beggars and layabouts, be they of the wall street or skid row variety. Entitlement and instant gratification made this problem, and it sure as hell won't fix it.Oh!The Generals can do that all by themselves.You know you can critic your nations military and not feel like you're spitting on their graves.Fact of the matter of is if more conservatives grew a couple of big Cojones to stand-up and criticize their government in the last 7 years things could have turned out differently and the war in Iraq could have ended a long time ago and it would have been just another short chapter in American history.But that's my opinion.

I certainly don't want them to give all my tax money to beggars and layabouts, be they of the wall street or skid row variety. Entitlement and instant gratification made this problem, and it sure as hell won't fix it.

Well people are entitleted to work hard and save up to buy your own home.The problem with the Subprime loan was that people were buying homes with no assets or even cash down.And these weren't all illegal immigrants or poor.People were buying homes who simply couldn't pay it off.

Which is why I believe that a Fiscally conservative government is in place than everything is Regulated right up the wazoo.

Don't feel that I'm targeting you out on your thoughts.But I found your views on the economy interesting.

WarPhalange
19th January 09, 06:32 PM
I am hopefull for Obama because he resembels hitler.

he has the same cult of personality, is inherating similar problems that he can't be blamed for, he allows his nation to be proud of themselves again.

hitler solved his nations economic problems through governmrnt intervention, Obama proposes solveing economic problems through government intervention.

and then there that line in audacity of hope about annexing the sudatenland.

You're missing one key ingredient: Hitler shifted all blame on the Jews. He told his people that it's not their fault their country is a shithole, it's the Jews' fault. He told them it's okay to hate and of course encouraged it. It's like an alcoholic coming home from his shitty job deciding to kick his dog to feel better. Channeling your problems into something else and then hating it. It's so simple! It relieves you of any sense of responsibility for your current situation and gives you a simple solution that is fun at the same time. Why try to change your personal habits in order to better yourself when you can just smash a storekeeper's window because he's a Jew?

I haven't seen Obama do anything similar. So far he's been pretty much Kum-Ba-Yah on every issue. A lot of it is a ruse so that he doesn't get any sort of flack from the media. Hell, I bet if you asked him whether he likes steak or hamburger better, he'd make up some vague answer alluding to how when he was a kid he had neither or something, just so that he doesn't piss off those people who like what he said he doesn't like.

Also, your quote can equally apply to Bush. He didn't intervene in economics as much as he wanted, but he still did some damage, not to mention all the other government intervention, i.e. illegal wire tapping. Then there's saying "America is #1 no matter what fuck you stupid sand niggers. It's not our fault! The terrorists caused housing prices to plummet!" etc. What blame didn't he shift on terrorists? Oh, right, the ones where Democrats are the devil and eat your babies.

Cullion
19th January 09, 07:06 PM
I'm hoping when Obama gets to the 'we desperately need a scapegoat' stage he uses his last remaining line of credit with the Fed to stage an _awesome_ faked extraterrestrial invasion.

Holograms, guys in really convincing animatronic suits, death-rays, mother-ships hovering over London and San Francisco, the works.

Sun Wukong
19th January 09, 07:09 PM
I'm hoping we just channel all of our military and scientific mastery into Project Rebirth and spark the eugenics wars that will destroy all of humanity. I wouldn't want to destroy the earth though, that's where I keep all my stuff.

Scrapper
19th January 09, 08:00 PM
I too consider myself a fiscally responsible conservative also.I believe that for a nation to not waste enormous amounts of cash is to not spend it on unnecessary stealth fighter planes and aircraft carriers.The other way is to not start wars.

The prospect of a nearly invisible weapons delivery system saves both servicemen and civilians' lives. I consider the stealth fighter and bomber to be some of the most significant tech to be developed by our military. I do get your point about military spending being ridiculous in many ways. I certainly would love to see Obama crack down on frivolous spending WHEREVER it exists. thousand-dollar toilet seats come to mind.

I'm sorry but could you show me which ones he has?

I am not going to transcribe all his post-election speeches where he admits that fixing the economy, and dealing with the middle east was going to take longer than he expected and be harder than he anticipated. If I have misinterpreted his words, I will concede that point.

I don't know.The Japanese are still trying to climb out of their own housing-bubble that started in 1990.I have to say that the United States will be going through some very tough times for quite a long time.

I agree 100%. This is going to be a long tough haul.

Oh!The Generals can do that all by themselves.You know you can critic your nations military and not feel like you're spitting on their graves.Fact of the matter of is if more conservatives grew a couple of big Cojones to stand-up and criticize their government in the last 7 years things could have turned out differently and the war in Iraq could have ended a long time ago and it would have been just another short chapter in American history.But that's my opinion.

I am not sure what your point is. Was the war in Iraq mishandled? Almost certainly. But the American people are currently incapable of stomaching real warfare, and so things got half-assed. I have been as vocal a critic as anyone with regard to how poorly aspects of this conflict have been handled by MANY parties. It's been a clusterfuck all around. No doubt.

Well people are entitleted to work hard and save up to buy your own home.The problem with the Subprime loan was that people were buying homes with no assets or even cash down.And these weren't all illegal immigrants or poor.People were buying homes who simply couldn't pay it off.

You are projecting; and implying that I am elitist, xenophobic, or racist. I don't care who bought the house they couldn't afford. Lord knows I didn't. I still rent. I didn't take one of the loans Bank of America offered me in my mailbox every damn day. I didn't buy an automobile that strained my monthly budget. My credit card debt never exceeded 500 dollars. I lived the life of a fiscally responsible person. I resent every single person who contributed to this financial crisis; from the financial managers who made it plausible, to the bankers who made it possible, right down to the individuals who did not bother to understand the documents they were signing.

But that's about it. I can't tell them how to live, and I can't make their decisions for them. Now the market is down because of them, and I will have to suffer the consequences. That's life. But don't expect me to jump for joy at the thought of my tax dollars going to "bailouts" for businesses that were not at least as fiscally responsible as I was. If I was smart enough to know a bad idea when I saw it, why weren't they? Greed, instant gratification, and stupidity created this mess. More of the same will not fix it. I am ready to buckle down, stop spending, and focus on living within my means. But then again, I've been doing that all along.

For the exact same reasons, I don't like my tax dollars going to individuals who are unwilling to support themselves. {and if you think that everyone on welfare really needs/deserves it, and are all the victims of circumstances, then we really have nothing to talk about} I think that programs like unemployment benefits, WIC checks, and low-cost/subsidised education are awesome; but welfare needs to be scrapped.

Which is why I believe that a Fiscally conservative government is in place than everything is Regulated right up the wazoo.

Don't feel that I'm targeting you out on your thoughts. But I found your views on the economy interesting.

All markets self-regulate. Even in the Soviet Union and China, the markets regulated themselves. The only thing the government can do is move the money around, and invariably it goes into the coffers of the state, or in the worst cases, the pockets of the politicians. I say let it run its course.

I think you have pegged me very wrong on this. I am not a republican, and I did not vote for McCain. My issues with Obama stem from a very careful observation of his politics. He won this election on pure rock star charisma, and the fact that the Rebublican party has managed to alienate everyone on the planet. He has a voting record that supports agressive gun control, expensive social programs (one truly disastrous fiasco cost Illinois 100 million dollars with nothing to show for it), and displays a marked propensity for embellishing his stories for dramatic effect. {Think that's unfair? Read his autobiography, and then read "Obama Nation." I've read both, and some of the discrepencies are outright fabrications} Does this mean he'll be a bad president? No. I have no idea what kind of president he will be. That's why I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. He got elected fair and square, and I believe in this democracy.

I hope I answered your questions!

Robot Jesus
19th January 09, 08:14 PM
You're missing one key ingredient: Hitler shifted all blame on the Jews. He told his people that it's not their fault their country is a shithole, it's the Jews' fault. He told them it's okay to hate and of course encouraged it. It's like an alcoholic coming home from his shitty job deciding to kick his dog to feel better. Channeling your problems into something else and then hating it. It's so simple! It relieves you of any sense of responsibility for your current situation and gives you a simple solution that is fun at the same time. Why try to change your personal habits in order to better yourself when you can just smash a storekeeper's window because he's a Jew?

I haven't seen Obama do anything similar. So far he's been pretty much Kum-Ba-Yah on every issue. A lot of it is a ruse so that he doesn't get any sort of flack from the media. Hell, I bet if you asked him whether he likes steak or hamburger better, he'd make up some vague answer alluding to how when he was a kid he had neither or something, just so that he doesn't piss off those people who like what he said he doesn't like.

Also, your quote can equally apply to Bush. He didn't intervene in economics as much as he wanted, but he still did some damage, not to mention all the other government intervention, i.e. illegal wire tapping. Then there's saying "America is #1 no matter what fuck you stupid sand niggers. It's not our fault! The terrorists caused housing prices to plummet!" etc. What blame didn't he shift on terrorists? Oh, right, the ones where Democrats are the devil and eat your babies.

I don't see how this impacts Hitlers economic plans

WarPhalange
19th January 09, 09:01 PM
People wouldn't have agreed to them if there was no "purpose" to them. If it was just "Look, we'll run the economy better than your dumb ass can.", then people would have said "Fuck off. And shave that thing off your face." But by saying "We need to take over the economy, to take it back from the Jews! And then we need to destroy the Jews!" people thought there was an honest-to-God plan and other reason for doing it. People fall for this higher purpose shit all the time.

Robot Jesus
19th January 09, 09:55 PM
oic, while Obama may not have quite that level of support he may have a mandate for intervention stronger than any presedent to date. he may not be able to dissolve the republic he still has power sufficent to make some changes.

Dark Helmet
19th January 09, 10:17 PM
The prospect of a nearly invisible weapons delivery system saves both servicemen and civilians' lives. I consider the stealth fighter and bomber to be some of the most significant tech to be developed by our military. I do get your point about military spending being ridiculous in many ways. I certainly would love to see Obama crack down on frivolous spending WHEREVER it exists. thousand-dollar toilet seats come to mind.
When you put it that way!Yes it certainly does.But ,I'm sure you agree,when a military seems unwilling or can't afford modern body armor for it's troops.

You are projecting; and implying that I am elitist, xenophobic, or racist. No.No I don't.If you feel that way Sorry about that.I should have been much clearer.In fact I thought you were a Republican.Sorry again!

For the exact same reasons, I don't like my tax dollars going to individuals who are unwilling to support themselves. {and if you think that everyone on welfare really needs/deserves it, and are all the victims of circumstances, then we really have nothing to talk about} I think that programs like unemployment benefits, WIC checks, and low-cost/subsidised education are awesome; but welfare needs to be scrapped.

As a matter of fact.Unemployment benefits have greatly helped me.Ever since the dot com what i call fiasco.It probably saved me.

I think you have pegged me very wrong on this. I am not a republican, and I did not vote for McCain. My issues with Obama stem from a very careful observation of his politics. He won this election on pure rock star charisma, and the fact that the Rebublican party has managed to alienate everyone on the planet. He has a voting record that supports agressive gun control, expensive social programs (one truly disastrous fiasco cost Illinois 100 million dollars with nothing to show for it), and displays a marked propensity for embellishing his stories for dramatic effect. {Think that's unfair? Read his autobiography, and then read "Obama Nation." I've read both, and some of the discrepencies are outright fabrications} Does this mean he'll be a bad president? No. I have no idea what kind of president he will be. That's why I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. He got elected fair and square, and I believe in this democracy. I would consider it great campaigning by his side.Over 500 million dollars in the wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2008#Campaign _costs) link if thats even accurate.Will certainly know in 6 months a to a year from now in what direction he's going to lead the US.I do genuinely have high hopes.Thank god I'm Canadian.

Yes you have answered ,my questions.

Arhetton
20th January 09, 12:30 AM
Please learn to put a space between a full stop and the next sentence.It is annoying to say the least.

EuropIan
20th January 09, 08:51 AM
This is alot like the book Great Expectations.

call me Pip

20th January 09, 09:28 AM
The South seceded because he was going to be elected and was feared to be about to remove their means of production and wealth: - SLAVERY.

again, you are stating that I am claiming Bush=Lincoln.

I am not.

I am stating that you cannot state what his historical Presidential legacy is going to be a day before he leaves office.

And if we were going to create Presidential legacy while still in office, Carter wouldn't be the lauded elder statesmen people are trying to claim he is now, he would be the cock-tucking fuck-up who let a couple of dozen Americans languish in captivity for almost a year and a half, fucking gas lines and gas rations and who allowed inflation and stagflation run rampant during his term in office.

Kein Haar
20th January 09, 10:31 AM
It's not like shit can get any worse.

How can someone possibly say that?

KhorneliusPraxx
20th January 09, 10:37 AM
Are you forgetting that Hitler is the worse person that ever lived and that 'W' is worse than Hitler? It's a fact...look it up.

EuropIan
20th January 09, 10:44 AM
He wants it to rain

KhorneliusPraxx
20th January 09, 11:11 AM
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/dominicnzl/huhh/Pokemon_animated.gif

HappyOldGuy
20th January 09, 11:34 AM
I am stating that you cannot state what his historical Presidential legacy is going to be a day before he leaves office.
Obviously you can't get the whole picture, but unless you think historians are going to find the WMD. That right there. That one fact. Puts him no lower than third on the list of all time worst presidents.

partyboy
20th January 09, 11:59 AM
where's the poll where we vote on how far through the inauguration address someone tries to take a crack at his life?

WarPhalange
20th January 09, 12:46 PM
oic, while Obama may not have quite that level of support he may have a mandate for intervention stronger than any presedent to date. he may not be able to dissolve the republic he still has power sufficent to make some changes.

Maybe. Depends on what he wants to do. I don't think he's the kind of person that wants intervention for the sake of intervention. Hitler, Stalin, etc., wanted control first and foremost. They were fucking insane.

A misguided attempt to help the country can produce some pretty bad results, but I doubt he'd go to the point where we'd totally keel over. I don't think he's stupid enough to say "Okay, all the previous intervention hurt us. But God dammit, this time we're sure to get it right!!!"

Plus, didn't he say he wanted to streamline a lot of things, like income tax?

TM
20th January 09, 12:51 PM
Didn't happen thank God.

What did happen was President Obama gave what could be the best inauguration speech in out history.

KhorneliusPraxx
20th January 09, 12:53 PM
The white man will finally embrace what is right.

'nuff said.

WarPhalange
20th January 09, 01:03 PM

'nuff said.

The white man won't have time to embrace anything but the hurtin' end of a whip while he's out in the cotton fields.

EuropIan
20th January 09, 01:19 PM
Does this mean it's our turn to invent peanut butter?

AWESOME!

(Inaugural speech was good, best in my lifetime I think)

KhorneliusPraxx
20th January 09, 01:24 PM
"Brown can stick around."

Mexicans...INVADE!!!

BHO administration says it's okay.

20th January 09, 01:27 PM
Obviously you can't get the whole picture, but unless you think historians are going to find the WMD. That right there. That one fact. Puts him no lower than third on the list of all time worst presidents.
You really can't get much of a picture as things have a way of taking time and everything is viewed in the "now" and not the "then".

"Brown can stick around."

Mexicans...INVADE!!!

BHO administration says it's okay.

My wife told me I could stay if I agreed to be her bitch.

EuropIan
20th January 09, 01:34 PM
You really can't get much of a picture as things have a way of taking time and everything is viewed in the "now" and not the "then".

Yes, that's nice.

Are you willing to venture a guess?

20th January 09, 01:45 PM
Yes, that's nice but: are you willing to venture a guess?
He is a midling level president. Not the greatest and certainly not the worst.

Considering there was 7-8 yrs. between the first WTC bombing during the beginning of the Clinton administration and the second at the beginning of the Bush Administration, and thus far the US hasn't sustained a second terrorist attack yet, he can at least stand on that:
he tried to secure America.

If Iraq becomes a stabilizing democracy in the turmoil that is the middle east, history might be kind on him.

If it doesn't then it won't.

Bush managed to stave off the impending economic crisis that was all but certain following 9/11, and did so for several years only to have lax policies in the banking and loan industry implode the US Economy, he should have prevented the Congressional circle-jerk going on with FreddieMac and FannieMay.

His greatest drawback was his management style, he was too comfortable delegating authority to his staff, which is great if he's your boss at a .com company, but not so much when you are leading a nation.

He should not have allowed the US Intelligence community rely on foreign intelligence when factoring for the invasion of Iraq and when the cumulative intelligence, including stated first hand accounts from Africa, were found to be faulity, he should have just been honest.

After 9/11 there was a shitload of fingerpointing on both sides of "why didn't we know, why didn't we do anything" and I could imagine the political fallout if there were a second attack. He tried to do something and did as much 'right' as he did 'wrong'.

Cullion
20th January 09, 02:10 PM
I didn't watch the speech, I just read the text.
It was a Rorschach of meaningless platitudes.

KhorneliusPraxx
20th January 09, 02:32 PM
Quote of the fucking year!!!

EuropIan
20th January 09, 02:38 PM
He is a midling level president. Not the greatest and certainly not the worst.

Considering there was 7-8 yrs. between the first WTC bombing during the beginning of the Clinton administration and the second at the beginning of the Bush Administration, and thus far the US hasn't sustained a second terrorist attack yet, he can at least stand on that:
he tried to secure America.

If Iraq becomes a stabilizing democracy in the turmoil that is the middle east, history might be kind on him.

If it doesn't then it won't.

Bush managed to stave off the impending economic crisis that was all but certain following 9/11, and did so for several years only to have lax policies in the banking and loan industry implode the US Economy, he should have prevented the Congressional circle-jerk going on with FreddieMac and FannieMay.

His greatest drawback was his management style, he was too comfortable delegating authority to his staff, which is great if he's your boss at a .com company, but not so much when you are leading a nation.

He should not have allowed the US Intelligence community rely on foreign intelligence when factoring for the invasion of Iraq and when the cumulative intelligence, including stated first hand accounts from Africa, were found to be faulity, he should have just been honest.

After 9/11 there was a shitload of fingerpointing on both sides of "why didn't we know, why didn't we do anything" and I could imagine the political fallout if there were a second attack. He tried to do something and did as much 'right' as he did 'wrong'.
That was interesting.

I also noticed you didn't mention the Patriot Act and Guantanamo, do you blame these things on his handlers instead?

As for Vice Presidents, Cheney was certainly the boldest.

HappyOldGuy
20th January 09, 02:39 PM
Quote of the fucking year!!!

You should move to canada. It's not far. You could swim.

KhorneliusPraxx
20th January 09, 02:41 PM
Why should I be the one to move there? I'm not the one calling for socialized health care.

HappyOldGuy
20th January 09, 03:03 PM
Why should I be the one to move there? I'm not the one calling for socialized health care.

Something you would call socialized health care is inevitable. It's the only possible way to control costs while delivering health care that meets any fundamental definition of fairness. You will be much happier living somewhere where they have already bitten the bullet instead of living through the painful transition here.

Plus, you'll be healthier and live longer.

MrBadGuy
20th January 09, 03:18 PM
Comes from the guy who thinks Medicaid is the cat's pajamas.

Also, Lebell (Yea, I know it's lebell) who lives in commie healthcaretown would rather change his life around than venture a trip to the doctor. http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80151

KhorneliusPraxx
20th January 09, 03:22 PM
It has been over three hours already and like I predicted...nothing has changed.

20th January 09, 03:26 PM
That was interesting.

I also noticed you didn't mention the Patriot Act and Guantanamo, do you blame these things on his handlers instead?

No, I don't blame his handlers

and

I notice nobody blinked an eye when I referenced Lincoln throwing reporters who disagreed with him in prison.

20th January 09, 03:27 PM
Something you would call socialized health care is inevitable. It's the only possible way to control costs while delivering health care that meets any fundamental definition of fairness. You will be much happier living somewhere where they have already bitten the bullet instead of living through the painful transition here.

Plus, you'll be healthier and live longer.

Ask Lebell's back.

HappyOldGuy
20th January 09, 03:29 PM
Comes from the guy who thinks Medicaid is the cat's pajamas.

No, who knows, as an absolute fact, that medicaid has the lowest administrative overhead of any major insurance provider. Just that, nothing else.

HappyOldGuy
20th January 09, 03:36 PM
Ask Lebell's back.

Anything that improves lebells ability to move is ethically suspect from the getgo.

20th January 09, 03:37 PM
No, who knows, as an absolute fact, that medicaid has the lowest administrative overhead of any major insurance provider. Just that, nothing else.

Do you know if they factor into this statistic, the cost of privatized carriers bartering with hospitals for coverage and rates?

Since Medicaid is nationwide, they have a fairly set and structure pay rate to providers, where with privatized insurance carriers, then send field reps out to meet with physicians and hospitals to barter and dicker over discount rates in exchange for adding these providers to their network.

HappyOldGuy
20th January 09, 03:40 PM
Do you know if they factor into this statistic, the cost of privatized carriers bartering with hospitals for coverage and rates?

Since Medicaid is nationwide, they have a fairly set and structure pay rate to providers, where with privatized insurance carriers, then send field reps out to meet with physicians and hospitals to barter and dicker over discount rates in exchange for adding these providers to their network.

I'm not sure what you mean. That's pretty much overhead by definition.

20th January 09, 03:46 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. That's pretty much overhead by definition.

Just that they aren't necessarily better, just larger.

With a set payout rate.

And no other competition.

EuropIan
20th January 09, 03:47 PM
Socialized healthcare is bad, cuz socialism.

HappyOldGuy
20th January 09, 03:58 PM
Just that they aren't necessarily better, just larger.

With a set payout rate.

And no other competition.

which part of

Just that, nothing else.

was unclear?

MrBadGuy
20th January 09, 05:13 PM
Because that means conceding a point to you, which is inherently as wrong as making lebell able to walk again.

Also, what the fuck are the tags on here for strike though? It isn't strike.

Sun Wukong
20th January 09, 05:23 PM

'nuff said.
You mean like this:

NSFW

http://www.blacksonblondes.com/tourx/scenes/avy_lee_roth/trailer.jpg

EuropIan
20th January 09, 05:43 PM
You mean like this:

NSFW
*pic*

Technically, under pr0n rules, that's a latina.

So status quo.... I guess

20th January 09, 06:44 PM
which part of

"Just that, nothing else."

was unclear?
Unclear, nothing.

Just that the government can tell private health care providers

"this is what you get regardless of your cost, deal with it and there isn't anything you can do about it"

drastically will cut down on overhead and needed to be entered into the equation.

HappyOldGuy
20th January 09, 06:52 PM
Unclear, nothing.

Just that the government can tell private health care providers

"this is what you get regardless of your cost, deal with it and there isn't anything you can do about it"

drastically will cut down on overhead and needed to be entered into the equation.

Yes, that is one of the many reasons that state run health care is better at cost controls.

lant3rn
20th January 09, 07:46 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7840926.stm

It was a very impassioned speech.
And he came across very well.

Meaning it didn't come across as placation but instead that he actually had something something to say.

Usually when people are making a speech, mainly to pander to the crowd, they give it in a way to get as many people cheering and hollering as possible. (long pauses and meaningless feel good crap)

20th January 09, 08:27 PM
Yes, that is one of the many reasons that state run health care is better at cost controls.

But it ends up shifting all the administrative costs to the physicians and the hospitals, which in the end, get passed along to the consumer.

HappyOldGuy
20th January 09, 08:42 PM
But it ends up shifting all the administrative costs to the physicians and the hospitals, which in the end, get passed along to the consumer.

No. Negotiating different rates with multiple payers is not an administrative cost that gets passed on.

WarPhalange
20th January 09, 11:05 PM
It was a very impassioned speech.
And he came across very well.

I know, he's so well-spoken, huh?

MrGalt
20th January 09, 11:06 PM
Yeah, he speaks so well.

lant3rn
21st January 09, 12:19 AM
I know, he's so well-spoken, huh?

What?

EuropIan
21st January 09, 02:50 AM
Guys! Guys! I think he's already spoken for.

Did Bush give his farewell adress? I may have missed it.

Sun Wukong
21st January 09, 04:52 AM
Yeah, bush did give his farewell address. It was filled with excuses and misdirections. Typical bullshit. He reminds me of that old man on the Simpson's who is always desperate not to get fired.

Shawarma
21st January 09, 09:50 AM
Well, shit, Obie made it to become actual POTUS without being assassinated or outed as a communist Muslim antichrist mole. Wasn't expecting that.

What else is there to say but:

THE PRESIDENT IS A NIGGURRH!

boondock lee
21st January 09, 11:25 AM
Yeah, bush did give his farewell address. It was filled with excuses and misdirections. Typical bullshit. He reminds me of that old man on the Simpson's who is always desperate not to get fired. http://www.xtreme-simpsons.de/pics/grabpics/big/gil01.gif

Well, shit, Obie made it to become actual POTUS without being assassinated or outed as a communist Muslim antichrist mole. Wasn't expecting that.

What else is there to say but:

THE PRESIDENT IS A NIGGURRH!
Only half.

TM
21st January 09, 12:13 PM
The white man won't have time to embrace anything but the hurtin' end of a whip while he's out in the cotton fields.

Are you anything other than a retarded shitstirrer?

TM
21st January 09, 12:15 PM

Your comprehension skills must be incredibly week.

boondock lee
21st January 09, 12:46 PM
Your comprehension skills must be incredibly weak.

FTFY.

Cullion is British, meaning he is utterly incapable of understanding HOPE AND CHANGE AND T3H REALZ LIBERTY.

HappyOldGuy
21st January 09, 12:56 PM
Your comprehension skills must be incredibly week.

It's not that. It's just that Cullion tries to grade everything on an objective scale. And on that scale everything ever uttered by a politician is platitudes. It's part of his tragic case of objectivism. Don't mock him for his disability.

Sun Wukong
21st January 09, 02:52 PM
http://www.xtreme-simpsons.de/pics/grabpics/big/gil01.gif

Dude, that's the GUY! THat's exactly how Bush came off in those interviews and his farewell address. If he hadn't been the most powerful man in the world, or felt like he actually had someone to answer to, this is exactly how I picture him.

That lousy SoB.