PDA

View Full Version : a short list of large scale non-middle eastern conflicts from around the world

danno
10th January 09, 12:16 AM
g'day.

the conflict in the middle east has always been a hot topic on bullshido and sociocide (needless to say). perhaps about 1/5 of my posts over the last couple of years were made due to these threads.

so i thought i'd take the blinkers off for a moment and have a quick look around the world at other conflicts. cause, you know, a change is as good as a holiday.

i've put a short list together of conflicts via these parameters: they must be ongoing and currently causing more than 1000 deaths per year, and they must not be happening in the middle east.

remember that there are many other currently ongoing conflicts that have had more cumulative deaths than most of the ones in this list - but i have omitted them because they are not currently generating more than 1000 deaths per year.

and for your reading pleasure - name of war, place, beginning year of conflict and cumulative death toll are followed by a short description from wikipedia.

=================================================

kivu conflict, congo, africa, since 1997. cumulative fatalities: 4,000,000 people:
an armed conflict between the military of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (French acronym FARDC) and rebel forces under the command of Laurent Nkunda (National Congress for the Defence of the People, French acronym CNDP), taking place in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). Also involved is the genocidal Hutu Power Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (French acronym FDLR). United Nations Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo also became involved in the conflict.

Nkunda's CNDP is sympathetic to the Banyamulenge in Eastern Congo, an ethnic Tutsi group, and to the Tutsi-dominated government of Rwanda. He is opposed by the largely Hutu FDLR, by the DRC's army, and by United Nations forces.

war in darfur, sudan, africa, since 2003. cumulative fatalities: 500,000 people:
The War in Darfur is a conflict that is in the Darfur region of western Sudan. Unlike the Second Sudanese Civil War, the current lines of conflict are seen to be ethnic and tribal, rather than religious.[6] However, a United Nations report[7] states that the various tribes under attack (chiefly the Fur, Massalit and Zaghawa tribes) do not appear to have a distinct ethnicity from their attackers.

One side of the armed conflict is composed mainly of the Sudanese military and the Janjaweed, a militia group recruited mostly from the Arab Abbala tribes of the northern Rizeigat, camel-herding nomads. The other side comprises a variety of rebel groups, notably the Sudan Liberation Movement/Army and the Justice and Equality Movement, recruited primarily from the land-tilling non-Arab Fur, Zaghawa, and Masalit ethnic groups. The Sudanese government, while publicly denying that it supports the Janjaweed, has provided money and assistance to the militia and has participated in joint attacks targeting the tribes from which the rebels draw support.[8][9] The conflict began in February 2003.

somali civil war, somalia, since 1988. cumulative fatalities: between 300,000 - 400,000 people: this one is pretty complicated so i'll just post a link to the main wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somali_Civil_War and a link to the long list of different factions that have been involved: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factions_in_the_Somali_Civil_War

sri Lankan civil war, sri lanka, since 1983. cumulative fatalities: 80,000 people:
The Sri Lankan Civil War is an ongoing conflict on the island-nation of Sri Lanka. Since 23 July 1983, there has been on-and-off civil war, predominantly between the government and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE, also known as the Tamil Tigers), a separatist armed organization who fight for the creation of an independent state named Tamil Eelam in the North and the East of the island.

As one of the world's deadliest ongoing armed conflicts, it has caused significant harm to the population, environment and severe damage to the economy of the country, leading to the ban of the LTTE, the conflict's chief antagonist, as a terrorist organization in 31 countries including the United States, Japan, Brazil, Australia, the countries of the European Union, and Canada.

mexican drug war, mexico, since 2006. cumulative fatalities: 7,882 people:
The Mexican Drug War is an armed conflict taking place between rival drug cartels and government forces in Mexico. The crackdown has resulted in the arrest of some high-level figures in the drug trade, but as cartels are dismantled or left without leaders, violent power struggles erupt over who will take their place.

Mexico is the main supply route for cocaine and other illegal drugs entering the United States, Colombia being the main cocaine producer.[9] The Mexican cartels commonly use semi-automatic assault rifles such as the AR-15 and variants of the AKM, handheld grenades and a variety of other military caliber arms smuggled into Mexico from the United States.

=================================================

now, wasn't that refreshing?

WarPhalange
10th January 09, 12:41 AM
What about Bosnia? And the Arctic Penguin War of '91?

MrBadGuy
10th January 09, 12:42 AM
Dude, everyone knows Africa doesn't count.

WarPhalange
10th January 09, 12:43 AM
You included the Mexican drug war but not the US drug war?

danno
10th January 09, 12:47 AM
You included the Mexican drug war but not the US drug war?

let me know of any conflicts that are currently causing more than 1000 deaths per year and i'll look it up and add to the list.

danno
10th January 09, 12:51 AM
i might even make few pretty graphs and post them here and in that other "flow chart" thread. i'll wait to see if we turn up any other interesting stuff.

WarPhalange
10th January 09, 12:54 AM
You don't think gang warfare causes 1000 deaths per year?

danno
10th January 09, 01:01 AM
in total maybe, not indivual conflicts.

unless you can find some for me?

elipson
10th January 09, 03:31 AM
The numbers on the mexican drug war seem a little higher than the last time I checked. In Nov it was 5500ish. It's hard to keep good stats though because the government doesn't release numbers or drug related homicides, so most of the info goes on news paper sources.

And you forgot Colombia.

danno
10th January 09, 04:17 AM
The numbers on the mexican drug war seem a little higher than the last time I checked. In Nov it was 5500ish. It's hard to keep good stats though because the government doesn't release numbers or drug related homicides, so most of the info goes on news paper sources.

i just got "7,882 killed between December 2006 and November 2008." from wikipedia, which uses this source (http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/560074.html).

And you forgot Colombia.

ok, will look up numbers and possibly add that.

EDIT - well, millions of people have died since the conflict started in around 1964, but i can't find much info detailing how many people have died as a direct result over the last couple of years. there were certain events where a few hundred people died.

i'll look again later, but let me know if you have some links or anything.

Dark Helmet
10th January 09, 09:42 AM
It's surprising how much Congo or the ex state of Zaire doesn't get much if any news time.Especially when the UN is leading a coalition to fight rebels in that country.

partyboy
10th January 09, 09:57 AM
let me know of any conflicts that are currently causing more than 1000 deaths per year and i'll look it up and add to the list.

I'd say the war on obesity

Shawarma
10th January 09, 11:35 AM
I played a trivia game the other day. My question was "What war in the 1980ies killed between 1-1.5 million people?"

The answer was, of course, the Iran-Iraq war. The people I were playing with said "No way! 4 realz?" Nobody ever reported shit about that war either because nobody really cared. Too foreign.

http://www.exile.ru/articles/detail.php?ARTICLE_ID=7113&IBLOCK_ID=35

TM
10th January 09, 12:59 PM
That was a particularly nasty one. Poison gas and all the rest. The U.S. backed Iraq. Go figure.

danno
10th January 09, 08:11 PM
Nobody ever reported shit about that war either because nobody really cared. Too foreign.

yep. 9/11 changed that of course.

danno
10th January 09, 08:13 PM
That was a particularly nasty one. Poison gas and all the rest. The U.S. backed Iraq. Go figure.

it's about looking after one's interests rather than the idea of freeing the world from tyranny i guess.

HappyOldGuy
10th January 09, 08:17 PM
it's about looking after one's interests rather than the idea of freeing the world from tyranny i guess.

Without going into whether it was right or wrong. The entire world (pretty literally) backed Iraq in that war out fear of the then new threat of Islamist extremists in Iran.

danno
10th January 09, 08:34 PM
Without going into whether it was right or wrong. The entire world (pretty literally) backed Iraq in that war out fear of the then new threat of Islamist extremists in Iran.

ah, true.

i suppose it's redundant to say that preventing the tyranny of iran was in america's own interests...