PDA

View Full Version : New Congress Continues Wasting Money...

fes_fsa
8th January 09, 01:13 PM
but really... did we ever expect them to stop?

The omnibus lands package includes (http://coburn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=LatestNews.PressReleases&ContentRecord_id=adcc37f6-802a-23ad-4950-1d97fa30c9fb):

• A provision that takes about 8.8 trillion cubic feet of natural gas and 300 million barrels of oil out of production in Wyoming, according to the Bureau of Land Management. The energy resources walled off by this bill would nearly match the annual production levels of our two largest natural gas production states — Alaska and Texas.
• $3 million for a "road to nowhere" through a wildlife refuge in Alaska.
• $1 billion for a water project designed to save 500 salmon in California. At this price, each salmon would be worth far more than its weight in gold.
• $3.5 million to help celebrate the 450th birthday of St. Augustine Florida, in 2015.
• $4 million to protect livestock from wolves that Congress helped reintroduce into the wild.
• $250,000 to help bureaucrats decide how to designate Alexander Hamilton's boyhood home.
• $5 million on botanical gardens in Hawaii and Florida.

WarPhalange
8th January 09, 01:16 PM
The $1B for the fish sounds real expensive (duh), but is it only 500 salmon, or are they trying to make 500 = 5000 or something higher? That could possibly pay for itself over time.

The rest is pretty shitty, yeah.

jvjim
8th January 09, 01:16 PM
St. Augustine is THE oldest town in the US you unpatriotic gutter snipe.

fes_fsa
8th January 09, 01:19 PM
St. Augustine is THE oldest town in the US you unpatriotic gutter snipe.

then let the MAYOR or the governor of FLORIDA take care of celebrating it.

i don't particularly care how old what town is and i sure as fuck don't like that my tax money is being used to fund what is basically a glorified BIRTHDAY PARTY.

WarPhalange
8th January 09, 01:23 PM
Is this town in a hurricane zone?

Gezere
8th January 09, 01:23 PM
FUCK YOU!

If it wasn't for Florida this country would be shit! We will drink and dance and you will pay for it and wallow in the shithole of a state.

Spade: The Real Snake
8th January 09, 01:24 PM
Jesus could feed BILLIONS with those 500 fish.

jvjim
8th January 09, 01:25 PM
What the fuck does Haiwaii need botanical gardens for. Isn't the whole place a big green house?

fes_fsa
8th January 09, 01:30 PM
FUCK YOU!

If it wasn't for Florida this country would be shit! We will drink and dance and you will pay for it and wallow in the shithole of a state.

fuck that.

Florida barely made the playoffs this year and then got their asses handed to them on Sunday.

i'm fucking PISSED at Florida.

pay for your own shit!

fes_fsa
8th January 09, 01:31 PM
Jesus could feed BILLIONS with those 500 fish.

wouldn't he rather teach those billions to fish?

JohnnyCache
8th January 09, 01:35 PM
but really... did we ever expect them to stop?

The omnibus lands package includes (http://coburn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=LatestNews.PressReleases&ContentRecord_id=adcc37f6-802a-23ad-4950-1d97fa30c9fb):

A provision that takes about 8.8 trillion cubic feet of natural gas and 300 million barrels of oil out of production in Wyoming, according to the Bureau of Land Management. The energy resources walled off by this bill would nearly match the annual production levels of our two largest natural gas production states Alaska and Texas.
$3 million for a "road to nowhere" through a wildlife refuge in Alaska.
$1 billion for a water project designed to save 500 salmon in California. At this price, each salmon would be worth far more than its weight in gold.
$3.5 million to help celebrate the 450th birthday of St. Augustine Florida, in 2015.
$4 million to protect livestock from wolves that Congress helped reintroduce into the wild.
$250,000 to help bureaucrats decide how to designate Alexander Hamilton's boyhood home.
$5 million on botanical gardens in Hawaii and Florida.

Bolded portions mean I get to circle classifieds.

HappyOldGuy
8th January 09, 01:39 PM
Just shows, one mans pork is another mans bacon.

Mmm, bacon.

Seriously, it looks like coburn as an oil company sock puppet is likely to do the right thing (kill the bill) for the wrong reasons.

fes_fsa
8th January 09, 01:43 PM
what matters to me is that the bill is killed.

HappyOldGuy
8th January 09, 01:48 PM
what matters to me is that the bill is killed.

I agree. Big huge packages of disconnected spending bills are how you smuggle in large quantities of swine. They should be killed on general principle and dealt with issue by issue in the open.

It just happens that coburn is doing it because some of the bills would also cut off the bacon flow to the folks who butter his bread.

Spade: The Real Snake
8th January 09, 02:09 PM
fish, pork, bacon, bread, butter.

godammnit I'm gettin' hungry.

fes_fsa
8th January 09, 02:26 PM
It just happens that coburn is doing it because some of the bills would also cut off the bacon flow to the folks who butter his bread.

sometimes you've gotta kill the pork in order to get some bacon.