PDA

View Full Version : How do midterm?

3moose1
5th January 09, 05:12 PM
Alas, fine culinarians at sociocide, its is that time.

What time, you say?

Why, midterms!

Papa moosey goes to culinary school for half of the day, and his midterm is fast approaching. The assignment?

I must come up with a country, and then cook a dish from that country.

The countries I am considering are:

Israel
Japan
Germany.

If Germany, it'll be vloshborak, (probably misspelled) Its a cabbage/beef/carrot dish served 'calzone' style. Think "german hamburger".

However, there is an accompanying report due, as to why we are 'traveling' to the country we picked, so i'd prefer to do either Japan or Israel.

Needless to say, i know little of Israeli (jewish) cuisine, and while i love Sushi, i don't know jack shit about preparing it/getting the correct quality fish/etc.

So, sociocide, i can has halp plox?

Shawarma
5th January 09, 05:21 PM
I'm not much of a conneisseur, but I really enjoy wolfing down nigiris and maki rolls for lunch every once in a while, so I make that decent-ish. I'll be buggered if I'm paying a mint to have somebody else put strips of fish on top of rice for me.

I personally found www.imakesushi.com to be a pretty good resource for silly round-eye me, just so you can see if you want to involve yourself further with this kind of cooking. Keep in mind: There are many different ways of making sushi-su, ratio-wise, method on this site is just one opinion.

Steve
5th January 09, 05:22 PM
Ah, it's been awhile since we've had a "do my homework" thread.

3moose1
5th January 09, 05:24 PM
always a pleasure to help out.

Of course, i'll take pictures of my culinary creations (disasters) and post them, along with the grade i got.

Shawarma
5th January 09, 05:43 PM
You're graded? Depending on your instructor, you might want to give the German stuff a pass, then. Most German cuisine is not especially sophisticated.

WarPhalange
5th January 09, 05:56 PM
Think "german hamburger".

Germburger.

Aphid Jones
5th January 09, 06:39 PM
How complex does the dish have to be?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
5th January 09, 06:42 PM
If you do Japanese, do not under any circumstances do sushi. That's like doing American cuisine and coming to class with a pack of hotdogs and a box of Twinkies.

Steve
5th January 09, 06:55 PM
Yes, tempura is better. Comes with the added bonus of possibly being burned alive.

That or do fugu.

Shawarma
5th January 09, 06:58 PM
Isn't tempura too advanced for random gaijin to figure out?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
5th January 09, 06:59 PM
Udon, soba, tepanyaki. Even a daikon radish would probably impress them more than something they've had before.

Equipoise
5th January 09, 07:09 PM
You could do a seared Kobe Carpaccio seasoned with sea salt and ginger with a few different regionally inspired sauces on the side. You'll have a whole fusion thing going on while still staying true to the country.

As for Jewish food....it's disgusting and Germany's not known for its culinary delights other than desert, sausages and beer. Have you thought of another region, Italy, France, Southeast Asia?

Steve
5th January 09, 07:10 PM
Isn't tempura too advanced for random gaijin to figure out?

Nah. Extra credit for fugu tempura.

Equipoise
5th January 09, 07:11 PM
Unless you kill your teacher or everybody in the class.

Shawarma
5th January 09, 07:12 PM
Wienerschnitzel. Mmmmm. Not exactly reeking of haute cuisine, but still lovely.

Steve
5th January 09, 07:14 PM
Unless you kill your teacher or everybody in the class.

Quite, you.

3moose1
5th January 09, 11:08 PM
Nah. Extra credit for fugu tempura.

mmm, i loves me some fugu. Its all so tasty. Every. Single. Part of it.

We're getting graded based on the complexity of our dish relative to our skills, as well as taste. Kobe carpaccio would be awesome, except this is detroit, and kobe beef is difficult to come across.

I want to do something unique, which is why i'm shying away from france/spain/italy. I'd rather not do Arabic food, as it can be a bit...intense for people who are not used to it...

I'm still not sure, man, fuck.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
5th January 09, 11:12 PM
ratatouille was a decent movie, why don't you make that?

Robot Jesus
5th January 09, 11:19 PM
I've got the french cook book right here, give me a primary ingredient.

Equipoise
5th January 09, 11:49 PM
mmm, i loves me some fugu. Its all so tasty. Every. Single. Part of it.

We're getting graded based on the complexity of our dish relative to our skills, as well as taste. Kobe carpaccio would be awesome, except this is detroit, and kobe beef is difficult to come across.

I want to do something unique, which is why i'm shying away from france/spain/italy. I'd rather not do Arabic food, as it can be a bit...intense for people who are not used to it...

I'm still not sure, man, fuck.

Southeast Asian/Thai

Duck with sauteed Basil, chopped tomatoes (yellow and red for plating), and red pepper. You could substitute the red pepper with bird's eye or a bit of Siracha if you want to melt your face off. The duck is fried in a wok btw. It's a relatively simple dish, hearty, flavourful and looks great due to the colors. The texture is great too as you have medium to crispy textures throughout.

As for Italian, you can do a French/Italian fusion of Pollo Fricito. Chicken chest stuffed with prosciutto, spinach and mozzarella. Brown your chicken first.

You then make a bechamel sans the roux. You're going to use predominately heavy creme, butter and a little whole milk. You then melt mozzarella into it.
Bake the chicken, plate, cover it in the sauce. Done.

If you want to go for something light. You can make Scampi Arranciata. Very simple. Zest an orange, take some garlic and Italian parsley. Put it in a blender with EVOO. Take prawns and soak them in the mixture you made for 2-3 hours. Sautee and add red pepper. Plate, done. However, being you live in Detroit, it's f'n cold, this isn't a good winter dish.

Maybe Osso Bucco? Make a port wine reduction with mint. You can plate it on top of some polenta with a juniper and/or mint pesto.

There are lots of unique dishes in the more well known nations that aren't lasagna or onion soup.

Kiko
6th January 09, 01:21 PM
ratatouille was a decent movie, why don't you make that?

Yes, make Rat Tart!

Sorry... *snicker*

WarPhalange
6th January 09, 02:57 PM
Japanese food? Bring some small live octopus to class. Ready to eat. Some unadorned white rice in the shape of a scoop of ice cream, and some grass on the side and you're done. Don't worry, nobody will tell the difference between grass and seaweed. Just soak it in some salt water over night.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
6th January 09, 03:12 PM
I'm pretty sure he'd get in trouble for bringing grass to class.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
6th January 09, 03:13 PM
Oh, did you mean that grass they have in parks and stuff?

Equipoise
6th January 09, 03:41 PM
Why you soak marijuana anyway?

jubei33
6th January 09, 04:23 PM
you could do takoyaki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takoyaki), breaded pork cutlets, or gyoza is good and easy to make with on hand ingredients.

3moose1
6th January 09, 04:26 PM
Oh yeah, the meal has to be some semblance of Kosher.

(no crustaceans/pr0k)

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
6th January 09, 04:53 PM

it happens to cheap weed to make it heavier. don't you know this? i don't bother with dirty ass weed though

Equipoise
6th January 09, 05:22 PM
it happens to cheap weed to make it heavier. don't you know this? i don't bother with dirty ass weed though

Ehh.. they don't drown it in water. The setups we've seen often use a humidifier.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
6th January 09, 05:23 PM
i thought most of them just soaked it in coke?

Equipoise
6th January 09, 05:29 PM
i thought most of them just soaked it in coke?

Seriously? That's new to me. The dealers will take the cheap crap and put it inside the open space of the humidifier right inside the grill. They then will insert a febreeze type filter to neutralize as much odor as possible coming out of the blower.
I've never seen them soaking it in soda though.

Also we deal with a lot more of crack cocaine than marijuana. They get more bang for their buck with the cocaine. We've recently been coming into a lot of prescription drugs. We'll have burglaries where the only thing raided are medicine cabinets.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
6th January 09, 06:56 PM
weed has a damn small markup, isn't addictive, and smells very distinctive rather than just like perfume, so it doesn't surprise me at all. i thought pills were more of a high class steal 'em from your insured parents thing.

Equipoise
6th January 09, 07:01 PM
A lot of officers aren't DRE certified and don't really know what to look for in regards to what the pills look like. As such, dealers can stick them in a pill bottle of legal pain killers and/or prescription anti-biotics and the officers look right over them when searching.

3moose1
6th January 09, 10:20 PM
So you guys are saying i should drug my Chefs?

Robot Jesus
6th January 09, 11:43 PM

you probably already know this but to aim this towards cooking, if you want your pot brownies to work you need to saute the weed in some form of oil (usually butter) so that it gets absorbed before the THC gets broken down.

Equipoise
7th January 09, 06:54 AM
It sounded like he was drowning them in water, then drying it out like Nori versus sauteeing it.

Kiko
7th January 09, 08:37 AM
I think you should make some sort of pierogis!

And Tanhalen's cupcakes!

and and.. Ian's quiche that's really more of a fritatta!

3moose1
7th January 09, 03:15 PM
I think i'm going to go for sushi.

Don't playa hate.

Now, can i prepare the rice the day before, and then prepare it the next day? Or am i better off doing it all the same day?

taijiamn
7th January 09, 05:28 PM
If you're allowed to prepare things ahead of time I've got a decent and pretty easy Crispy duck recipe if you want it.

Cullion
7th January 09, 05:47 PM
As for Jewish food....it's disgusting

I beg to differ. What do you understand by the term 'jewish food' ? It can cover kosher versions of the cuisine of pretty much any country with a jewish community.

Are you talking specifically about the cuisine of the central and eastern European Ashkenazi who settled in the US ? what about recipes from the Indian, Spanish, Moroccan or Italian Jewish communities ?

and Germany's not known for its culinary delights other than

That would be an excellent reason for him to do some more research and find something he can impress his teachers with. The surprise factor. Don't overlook Austro-hungarian cuisine in this category.

Feryk
7th January 09, 06:16 PM
Put it in a sausage casing, and it's German food.

Equipoise
7th January 09, 09:08 PM
I beg to differ. What do you understand by the term 'jewish food' ? It can cover kosher versions of the cuisine of pretty much any country with a jewish community.

Are you talking specifically about the cuisine of the central and eastern European Ashkenazi who settled in the US ? what about recipes from the Indian, Spanish, Moroccan or Italian Jewish communities ?

The kosher substitutes for dishes usually suck. I mean you've killed a great deal of Spanish and Italian food by excluding pork. Now when take away shellfish, dairy products with meat and some spices and you've taken those traditional recipes and turned them to crap. Italian Jewish communities... hmm I can't say I've run into any of those.

That would be an excellent reason for him to do some more research and find something he can impress his teachers with. The surprise factor. Don't overlook Austro-hungarian cuisine in this category.

I don't have much experience with Austro-Hungarian food, however most central European food is pretty bland and deals with a lot of muted style dishes. This is where preference comes into play. I like a lot of intense food and flavourful dishes. That's what I was brought up with, how I cooked when I worked as a sous chef and generally what I like to eat. As such it'd be unfair for me say it's bad.

3moose1
7th January 09, 10:52 PM
Lol, the dairy products with meat business confounds me. I understand the passage, but it is Rabbitic law, and i choose not to follow it.

I'm fairly certain the odds of me eating cheese produced with the milk of the cow that spawned the one in my cheeseburger are slim to none.

Aphid Jones
8th January 09, 02:17 AM
Now, can i prepare the rice the day before, and then prepare it the next day?
Soaking it for a day before use will improve the texture when cooked.

3moose1
8th January 09, 06:50 AM
go on, plz?

Kiko
8th January 09, 12:36 PM
Lol, the dairy products with meat business confounds me. I understand the passage, but it is Rabbitic law, and i choose not to follow it.

I'm fairly certain the odds of me eating cheese produced with the milk of the cow that spawned the one in my cheeseburger are slim to none.

You do mean Rabbinic Law, right? I'm not Jewish, but I don't remember any rabbits running about with Moses.

Spade: The Real Snake
8th January 09, 02:23 PM

Enjoy that cheeseburger, sinner.

Aphid Jones
8th January 09, 03:12 PM
go on, plz? Making Sushi seems both overdone and more difficult than several other interesting exotic dishes you could make.

Pick something better.

Make some Pho the traditional way;

From dogs.

Cullion
8th January 09, 04:22 PM
The kosher substitutes for dishes usually suck. I mean you've killed a great deal of Spanish and Italian food by excluding pork. Now when take away shellfish, dairy products with meat and some spices and you've taken those traditional recipes and turned them to crap. Italian Jewish communities... hmm I can't say I've run into any of those.

You can have dairy or meat as long as they're seperate. I like shellfish and pork, but you can cook without them. You've still got fish, poultry and all the other meats to work with.

There are jewish communities in Italy. Have been since Roman times.

You have seen or read 'The Merchant of Venice', right?

I don't have much experience with Austro-Hungarian food, however most central European food is pretty bland and deals with a lot of muted style dishes. As such it'd be unfair for me say it's bad.

Ah, Austro-hungarian cuisine does have some really strongly flavoured dishes from the Hungarian influence. Garlic, onion, paprika is all in there. They have some weird things like cherry soup too. It's supposed to be good though. I knew a few guys who'd emigrated from the Balkans when I was an undergrad. When they wanted to take their wives/girlfriends out for something special in that part of the world (before it all went to shit), they saw 'Austrian' food the way people in the UK and US see French high cuisine.

3moose1
8th January 09, 05:56 PM
You do mean Rabbinic Law, right? I'm not Jewish, but I don't remember any rabbits running about with Moses.

Clearly you weren't reading enough! Rabbits hang wiff da jewz becuz we'z dontz eatz dem.

and yes, i mean Rabbinic.

Artful Dentures
8th January 09, 07:35 PM
If you want to represent traditional Eastern European Jewish cuisine just bring in a nice vial of Cholesterol and a syringe

I just had a Pastrami on Rye sandwich I picked up from my favorite deli, with some Potato salad and Maztoh ball soup from there, the salad was good the soup OK

Ironically my wife makes the best Matzoh ball soup and shes Irish Canadian.

Kosher food sucks ass for the most part.

And my view on Kosherism is that it was mostly dietary laws made up for people living in the desert who couldn't stop eating shrimp and pork chops so some one made it the rule of god

If there was a good chinese restaurant around then the whole Kosher thing would never have taken off IMO

Cullion
8th January 09, 08:18 PM
I always thought the kosher laws were mostly a list of rules compiled by trial and error of stuff that went off quickest, or was otherwise most likely to cause disease, in a middle-eastern climate with a little bit of sentiment towards animal cruelty thrown in.

You can get nasty, nasty food poisoning from shellfish or pork when they go off, and drinking blood from living animals or cooking a calf in it's own mother's milk are just a bit cruel and wrong for sentimental reasons. The other un-kosher stuff are all vermin, disease carrying insects or stringy low-nutrition birds and beasts of prey.

Equipoise
8th January 09, 09:11 PM
You have seen or read 'The Merchant of Venice', right?

Ahh yes... it's where I learned the word "usury."

3moose1
8th January 09, 09:32 PM
I always thought the kosher laws were mostly a list of rules compiled by trial and error of stuff that went off quickest, or was otherwise most likely to cause disease, in a middle-eastern climate with a little bit of sentiment towards animal cruelty thrown in.

You can get nasty, nasty food poisoning from shellfish or pork when they go off, and drinking blood from living animals or cooking a calf in it's own mother's milk are just a bit cruel and wrong for sentimental reasons. The other un-kosher stuff are all vermin, disease carrying insects or stringy low-nutrition birds and beasts of prey.

Drinking blood/the calf in its mommeh's milk thing were pagan traditions that the jews said, LOL NO THANKS to.

Most, if not all non-kosher animals are dangerous to eat if not prepared correctly. Rabbits, for instance, can kill you if you eat only them. Shellfish and pork are extremely dangerous if not handled the right way, and who wants to eat a goddamn bug anyway?

Equipoise
8th January 09, 09:52 PM
Drinking blood/the calf in its mommeh's milk thing were pagan traditions that the jews said, LOL NO THANKS to.

Ehhh lets not go overboard here. This law is meant to mean that any meat with dairy products are outlawed. It didn't just stem from eccentric tales of blood drinking.

Most, if not all non-kosher animals are dangerous to eat if not prepared correctly. Rabbits, for instance, can kill you if you eat only them. Shellfish and pork are extremely dangerous if not handled the right way, and who wants to eat a goddamn bug anyway?

1. Umm... all animals are potentially dangerous if not prepared correctly.

Chicken - Salmonella
Cow- E Coli.
Fish - Staph, Shigella, Botulism.

2. Kosher laws are stupid. It serves no point other than to deprive people of food stuffs that they might enjoy or have a plethora of for some mystical religious reasons.

3. Shellfish = same family as bugs. =-) Also you can't eat any fish without scales, so no skate, octopus, squid, catfish, some forms of trout, eels, swordfish, lobster, shrimp, clams, crab....

Artful Dentures
8th January 09, 11:04 PM
I am trying

But I have nothing good to say about Kosherism and my relatives who keep Kosher are a pain in the ass

Wait

Kosher hot dogs pickles and Salami however are far superior to un Kosher ones

hmmm

I'll have to think about this

Oh and 3Moose1

as a Detroit Jew

Wilno Salami

hmmm hmmmm good!

Artful Dentures
8th January 09, 11:08 PM
OMFG

While looking for a wilno image

http://www.savethedeli.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/img_0270_2.jpg

I found out Sara Lee is going to stop making it!

Firstly what the fuck is Sara lee doing in the kosher food business

second someone needs to start buying up salami for me

http://www.savethedeli.com/2009/01/08/death-of-chicagos-deli-meat-dynasty/

3moose1
8th January 09, 11:56 PM
Ehhh lets not go overboard here. This law is meant to mean that any meat with dairy products are outlawed. It didn't just stem from eccentric tales of blood drinking.

1. Umm... all animals are potentially dangerous if not prepared correctly.

Chicken - Salmonella
Cow- E Coli.
Fish - Staph, Shigella, Botulism.

2. Kosher laws are stupid. It serves no point other than to deprive people of food stuffs that they might enjoy or have a plethora of for some mystical religious reasons.

3. Shellfish = same family as bugs. =-) Also you can't eat any fish without scales, so no skate, octopus, squid, catfish, some forms of trout, eels, swordfish, lobster, shrimp, clams, crab....

I dislike all of those, except catfish. Being from a southern family, i fucking love me some catfish.

: /

Equipoise
9th January 09, 10:03 AM
How can you be going into food service and dislike the majority of things that are unkosher?

Shawarma
9th January 09, 11:41 AM
Why not? I know a Muslim who works at a pork butchers.

Equipoise
9th January 09, 02:52 PM
Weird. So is he a new-age liberal Muslim or what?

Aphid Jones
9th January 09, 03:12 PM

Actually it's very clear that the blood must be given to YHWH by spilling it on the ground.

You can't just throw it away.

Equipoise
9th January 09, 03:33 PM
I didn't even think of that with the sacrificial traditions, etc.

3moose1
9th January 09, 04:33 PM
How can you be going into food service and dislike the majority of things that are unkosher?

Well, i don't have to eat the fuckin' things, do i?

lol

Feryk
9th January 09, 05:38 PM
Wouldn't you have to taste them for flavor?

Equipoise
9th January 09, 06:48 PM
Yeah, any cook who doesn't taste his own food is one to stay away from. Also, wouldn't touching/preparing those foods contradict your Kosher laws? There are a lot of foods I can't stand, but in order to make them for other people, I will taste what I'm making and have eaten it a fair amount.

Artful Dentures
9th January 09, 07:52 PM
3moose1 is only 17 as he gets older he will learn to appreciate more and more disgusting things

Equipoise
9th January 09, 08:16 PM
Like women.

3moose1
9th January 09, 09:54 PM
Ew, no! Women have cooties!

But in all honesty, i don't plan on becoming a Chef anymore. The career isn't what i thought it would be, as i enjoy cooking, not being an administrative lackey bitch who is under mucho grande stress.

So i'll just cook for myself, and whichever wench is stupid enough to dig me.

Aphid Jones
9th January 09, 09:56 PM
How do Jews decide how much of Kosher law they're going to follow?

3moose1
9th January 09, 10:12 PM
Well, because i fuckin' feel like it.

I avoid the bad stuff, but i'm not a koshernazi either. I don't buy kosher beef/etc, as fuck, man, i'm the only one in my house that keeps kosher.

Equipoise
9th January 09, 10:24 PM
Ew, no! Women have cooties!

But in all honesty, i don't plan on becoming a Chef anymore. The career isn't what i thought it would be, as i enjoy cooking, not being an administrative lackey bitch who is under mucho grande stress.

So i'll just cook for myself, and whichever wench is stupid enough to dig me.

People watch too much tv and tend to think of being a chef as the easiest way to earn millions and fame. It's a big surprise when they realize that it's a long way up, grueling and very easy to fail miserably.

3moose1
10th January 09, 02:12 AM
People watch too much tv and tend to think of being a chef as the easiest way to earn millions and fame. It's a big surprise when they realize that it's a long way up, grueling and very easy to fail miserably.

I just really enjoy cooking, a lot. Being a chef was something i entertained for a bit, but after watching Gordon Ramsey and Iron Chef America, it seemed too stressful for me.

Then seeing how stressed Chef Tony is makes me change my mind. Does it change my enjoyment of cooking? Nah, and i'm really enjoying culinary school right now.

That being said, can i make my rice the day before, or should i cook it the day of?

(For sushi)

Cullion
10th January 09, 06:28 AM
Cooking for fun for yourself and your friends is enjoyable. Being a chef is about making the same stuff over and over again at high speed for impatient people at a time of the week when you'd rather be out socialising.

Shawarma
10th January 09, 09:07 AM
For generally poor pay too.

Equipoise
10th January 09, 09:53 AM
You can make your rice the day before if you want. It's not going to harm anything in particular.

Aphid Jones
10th January 09, 11:58 AM
are you using calrose sticky rice?

Steve
10th January 09, 12:16 PM
I just really enjoy cooking, a lot. Being a chef was something i entertained for a bit, but after watching Gordon Ramsey and Iron Chef America, it seemed too stressful for me.

Then seeing how stressed Chef Tony is makes me change my mind. Does it change my enjoyment of cooking? Nah, and i'm really enjoying culinary school right now.

That being said, can i make my rice the day before, or should i cook it the day of?

(For sushi)

3m1 wants to be a profiler.

3moose1
10th January 09, 03:23 PM
Dude, i really, really fucking do. Don't judge me.

Also, some sites say cooking it the day before and refridging it is all good in the hood, but others say it's what caused the destruction of Hiroshima, (not the atom bomb)

I'm t3h confused. I'll have roughly an hour and a half to make it, so that'll be enough time to cook the rice, right? And i can always just rince/dry it the day before, correct?

Equipoise
10th January 09, 03:47 PM
You could always do a test today and see how the rice is tomorrow. So you don't run into any surprises....

Also, how do you plan on making any unique fish sushi without using un-Kosher fish?

3moose1
10th January 09, 03:50 PM
Easy, i'm doing a california roll, lol.

Cullion
10th January 09, 06:26 PM
so you're going to fold salmon, rice and seaweed into different cylndrical patterns. How exotic.

I'm disappointed with you. Sushi isn't cuisine, it's a quick snack. you don't get a pass on being lazy just because it was invented in Asia. I'm gonna mail your teachers to make sure you fail.

Artful Dentures
10th January 09, 06:51 PM
When the Brits give out to you over Cuisine you know you're in trouble

Cullion
10th January 09, 07:00 PM
Our food is excellent nowadays.

Shawarma
10th January 09, 07:06 PM
Coulda fooled me, Limey.

EuropIan
10th January 09, 08:18 PM
imports

EuropIan
10th January 09, 08:22 PM
so you're going to fold salmon, rice and seaweed into different cylndrical patterns. How exotic.

I'm disappointed with you. Sushi isn't cuisine, it's a quick snack. you don't get a pass on being lazy just because it was invented in Asia. I'm gonna mail your teachers to make sure you fail.
With sushi, presentation is key. For culinary school it's now bad to show you can handle sushi.

But unoriginal, yes.

HappyOldGuy
10th January 09, 08:29 PM
I think a central european cuisine is going to be the next hot thing, Austrian, Hungarian, Czech maybe. These countries haven't been taken seriously for a long time, and they are overdue. Go for a deconstructed Goulash.

Equipoise
10th January 09, 08:45 PM
HoG- Gross.

Moose, unless you're going to a culinary school in somebody's shed, you're going to net a C at best with your Sushi idea. Way to go, ace.

EuropIan
10th January 09, 08:57 PM
How about Oden?

Equipoise
10th January 09, 09:00 PM
Oden = Udon?

f4n4n
10th January 09, 09:09 PM
Okay mousy, here again to rescue you. Oh wait you said kosher did you? Ahh and there you are doomed to fail. Because like almost every thing I would suggest as a good German dish involves pork in some form.

But I have one we did for Xmas and it was quite nice for the fact that we came up with it on short notice and had to do it in my brothers kitchen (mind you this thing is 4 square feet max).

You need:
veal (or if you like ?haunch?), ham, mustard, soft cheese (or fondue cheese with a not soo strong flavor), some white wine, If you like you can use some onions and "gherkins"/pickles (Saure gurken).
As a side dish you can either go with normal potatoes, mashed potatoes (hand made with milk and all, don't know how this mixed with the kosher though), wild rice or dumplings.

Here is what you do:

Cut the veal in small pieces, cover with mustard on both sides and roll it in slices of ham (the ham should go around 1,5 times, maybe 2 times, you can add the onions or pickles to the veal before you roll them). You put them into the oven (225C) for 20-25 minutes, now you heat up some soft cheese and add the white whine, add pepper and salt if you like but I would not suggest it.
Pour your "sauce" over the meat and put it back for another 20-25minutes.
Now you can deal with either mashed potatoes or something else.

If you want to get fancy or anything add some blanched vegetables such as carrots, red onions, peas.

You can also add rosins to your sauce but that is a matter of taste, some don't like the "strong" cheese with the sweet rosins others love it...

Thank me.

EuropIan
10th January 09, 09:10 PM
Oden = Udon?
Oden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oden)

Equipoise
10th January 09, 09:20 PM
Okay mousy, here again to rescue you. Oh wait you said kosher did you? Ahh and there you are doomed to fail. Because like almost every thing I would suggest as a good German dish involves pork in some form.

But I have one we did for Xmas and it was quite nice for the fact that we came up with it on short notice and had to do it in my brothers kitchen (mind you this thing is 4 square feet max).

You need:
veal (or if you like ?haunch?), ham, mustard, soft cheese (or fondue cheese with a not soo strong flavor), some white wine, If you like you can use some onions and "gherkins"/pickles (Saure gurken).
As a side dish you can either go with normal potatoes, mashed potatoes (hand made with milk and all, don't know how this mixed with the kosher though), wild rice or dumplings.

Here is what you do:

Cut the veal in small pieces, cover with mustard on both sides and roll it in slices of ham (the ham should go around 1,5 times, maybe 2 times, you can add the onions or pickles to the veal before you roll them). You put them into the oven (225C) for 20-25 minutes, now you heat up some soft cheese and add the white whine, add pepper and salt if you like but I would not suggest it.
Pour your "sauce" over the meat and put it back for another 20-25minutes.
Now you can deal with either mashed potatoes or something else.

If you want to get fancy or anything add some blanched vegetables such as carrots, red onions, peas.

You can also add rosins to your sauce but that is a matter of taste, some don't like the "strong" cheese with the sweet rosins others love it...

Thank me.

That sounds disgusting.

Other than that. he's staunch on doing his own thing as we've all suggested a bunch of ideas, but he wants to take the easy/shitty way out and nerf his grade.

f4n4n
10th January 09, 09:29 PM
It may sound "different" but it is acutally simple and quite good.
Sure there are better things out there but it easy and he can show that he can handle food etc. And you should do as I do, never judge before you tested it (okay there are some things were I just use common sense, you don't have to put your hand in the fire to know it burns) and if it is good and you are not going to make it your self, NEVER ask what it was you just have been eating, sometimes you don't want to know.

Equipoise
10th January 09, 09:33 PM
I think I have a pretty good taste for food having worked as a sous chef for two years and that still sounds like crap.

f4n4n
10th January 09, 09:40 PM
I only worked on year in a kitchen but I guess this is not a pissing contest since I would lose anyway :tongue:
And yeah I can see how a "non German" would not like this. I had this issue with ma Spanish girls and french friends over in NYC, hence I only cooked a few times for all and nothing where I could mess something up.
Actually I have a few things that would make you throw up into your keyboard, such as rice with cinnamon apple sauce, fried pasta with sugar, fried pasta with diced onions, diced sausage and cheese. But I love those, they are simple/fast to make and I think they are jummy and a change to what I usually eat.

Equipoise
10th January 09, 09:52 PM
Rice with cinnamon apple sauce I could handle. That sounds kind of like a SEAsian style desert.

Fried Pasta with sugar. Is it fresh pasta and are you making super thin Churros?

Fried Pasta with onions....ehh, not appetizing.

Diced sausage (diced? Can you do that with sausage?) with cheese. I could go for that, what kind of cheese? If It's American, it's getting thrown into the trash and that'll ruin it.

Middle European food is just strange to me. How do you feel about Latin, French or SEAsian style dishes? I'm wondering if you find citrus, spicy and fish based dishes strange?

f4n4n
10th January 09, 10:19 PM
There are only a few things I don't "eat" (like in my food):
-Mushrooms, hate them since I was a kid, don't know why but I hate them, I do them for others but I don't want them near me or my food
-Everything that is not not fish or big scumpy/lobster and comes out of the sea (stuff that has more than 2 arms/legs, calamari)

Else I am in for everything. I liked the spanish food while I was there last week, pollo ali-oli *super tasty*. They also had a thing that was like a pie with tuna and something else (unfortunately I didn't ask for the recipie), we had an "international dinner" and everybody brought either a dish, desert or drink from their home country, it was a fest... rice/chicken/curry "soup" for starters and it was good like that for the rest of the time.

Oh and the fried pasta with onion and sausage(yeah you can dice everything, I usually take wiener or bockwurst) and cheese is one dish. You make fresh pasta and then frie it, little like the "asian noodles" only not so mutch gummy texture but more still pasta. For the cheese I like to go with gauda (middle aged) and a bit of mozerella.
It is a very "heavy" dish and you can add tomatos and peppers if you like(for me it is more a question if you have them around, they go with scrambled eggs and onions and again diced sausage, sort of omlet thingy so I am always short. You can eat it alone or on bread with little butter).

Artful Dentures
10th January 09, 10:56 PM
Germans make good schnitzel now lets all sing the schnitzel song

n34bK7oGwOA

f4n4n
10th January 09, 11:02 PM
Actually the best Schnitzels are made by Austrians but I can see why you would consider them Germans, this little guy, with the emo hair cut and the beard, back in the days did the same thing, though he was Austrian and should have known better.

Artful Dentures
11th January 09, 12:27 AM
Come on comparing Germans and Austrians is like comparing apples to ..uh..apples...

The local German deli used to make a great schnitzel sandwich but then the sold the deli to a Portugeuse family, and the schnitzel went down hill

I have also had great Hungarian Schnitzel

3moose1
11th January 09, 12:41 AM
That sounds disgusting.

Other than that. he's staunch on doing his own thing as we've all suggested a bunch of ideas, but he wants to take the easy/shitty way out and nerf his grade.

I appreciate all of the suggestions, but i really have my heart set on making sushi. Its just something i've always wanted to do.

We're not getting graded on a variety of things, so sushi can get me an A, provided i don't fuckin' rape the flavor of it.

Kiko
11th January 09, 07:29 AM
Make a giant sushi MOOSE!

They'll notice you...

Cullion
11th January 09, 07:32 AM
Coulda fooled me, Limey.

More Michelin stars per head here than Norway. You're just looking in the wrong places.

Kiko
11th January 09, 07:33 AM
See, I didn't say a sushi cat...

Cullion
11th January 09, 07:35 AM
You're still on report. Yes you are.

Equipoise
11th January 09, 11:52 AM
What about......bXHqoPHZCUM

HappyOldGuy
11th January 09, 12:39 PM
Moose, I think cat is probably treif, but if you decide to go there make sure to use kitten in the fettucine. Adult cat is nasty.

Equipoise
11th January 09, 01:36 PM
You don't mix meat and pasta....christ.