PDA

View Full Version : Apologists VS Athiests: A debate.

Pages : 1 [2]

HappyOldGuy
31st December 08, 02:16 PM
So this thread has just been ANOTHER Catholic School Angst Thread?

Dammit, I should have known.

Well, it was either that or daddy issues. And he didn't try to crawl up in your lap.

Cullion
31st December 08, 02:19 PM
You are not the big boys. You are small clique of random people on the internet. The big boys have jobs at colleges, teaching other people.

You're too dumb to post here. Ban plz.

Aphid Jones
31st December 08, 02:27 PM
You're too dumb to post here. Ban plz.

Woa, woa, Cullion. Don't be hasty. He implied that HE IS THE R34L PR0F3SS0R. Don't you work in Academia? He could pull some STRINGS, man, SOME STRINGS, have you out on the street begging for tenure in a paper cup!

HappyOldGuy
31st December 08, 02:30 PM
Woa, woa, Cullion. Don't be hasty. He implied that HE IS THE R34L PR0F3SS0R. Don't you work in Academia? He could pull some STRINGS, man, SOME STRINGS, have you out on the street begging for tenure in a paper cup!
No he implied that being a real professor is a big deal. This suggests that he has t3h r34l stud3nt.

fes_fsa
31st December 08, 02:52 PM
The premise is that there are no compelling reasons for an omnipotent being to act like trailer trash.
why not?

have you SEEN his only begotten son?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e126/mrgrundle79/jesus_mullet.jpg
http://b8.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01211/85/78/1211268758_l.jpg

Cullion
31st December 08, 02:52 PM
DAYoung is a real professor. This nincompoop is obviously studying at a McUniversity.

Zendetta
31st December 08, 02:56 PM
Two points:

Mean God: I see no reason to assume that God is any less cruel, ruthless, and beautiful than the nature that He (allegedly) created. Cullion's God.

Nice God: "Beer is proof that God exists, and that he wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin, Natural Scientist, Patriot, Brewer. Reese's God?

fes_fsa
31st December 08, 03:04 PM
I think we can all agree that trying to bring youtube idiots to this site would not be a very good thing for more than 2 minutes.

his join date says 2006.

i don't think it was youtube that brought him here.

Cullion
31st December 08, 03:06 PM
He started this thread to try and impress us. We've been harsh, but I hope this has been a salutory experience for him.

Cullion
31st December 08, 03:08 PM
Two points:

Mean God: I see no reason to assume that God is any less cruel, ruthless, and beautiful than the nature that He (allegedly) created. Cullion's God.

Nice God: "Beer is proof that God exists, and that he wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin, Natural Scientist, Patriot, Brewer. Reese's God?

Well, I'm not a believer, it's just that you can't disprove something's existence by expressing a firm hope that it doesn't.

Edit: Your psychological observations might be on the nail though. Or they would be if I didn't happen to know for a fact from his facebook profile that Reese rapes puppies whilst wearing a Lyndon B. Johnson mask.

Kiko
31st December 08, 03:29 PM
his join date says 2006.

i don't think it was youtube that brought him here.

From his post, I gathered that he found this argument in youtube comments and invited them to debate here. *shrug*

Mr. Mantis
31st December 08, 03:55 PM
It seems to me that the Midianites did something unjust, and the penalty was death. God ordered the Israelites to carry out the sentence. They screw up, and Moses has to bitch them out (again) and tell them what they have to do.

They do it. Then there is a couple of baptisms (fire and water) demonstrated. I don't know why they allowed female virgins to live, but they were subjugated and kept as slaves. It doesn't say they were raped or given up as human sacrifice.

Cullion
31st December 08, 04:19 PM
Lets take this thread in a new direction.

There is no actual requirement for male monogamy in the Old or New testaments. Not even Martin Luther himself could find one.

What the bible does expressly forbid is the following:-

1) Women cheating on their husbands.

2) Men cheating with another man's wife.

3) Bestiality.

There is no actual injuction in the bible against a man marrying multiple women, or sleeping with unmarried women who aren't promised to anybody else, or being gay/bi.

The bible's sexual morality really does boil down to 'men should not cock-block each other or fuck animals, and women should be faithful to the man they're wit even if he's out banging other chicks' and that's pretty much it.

The old testament is full of polygamists, guys who screw the home help and guys who have consensual incest with their daughters (although rape is never explicitly condoned, only implied as condoned in the case of the women of a tribe who resist God's power). None of them receive any admonition or disapproval from Jahweh.

Most of the other things we accept as 'Christian morality' today actually come from pagan Roman civil law.

Is this morality right from a humanistic rational viewpoint? No, not in my view, I think it's unfair to women. It allows pretty much anything except bestiality for men even if they're married, but women basically become somebody else's property if they get married, and are still expected to be 'one at a time' kinda gals regardless. I think that's unfair.

WarPhalange
31st December 08, 04:25 PM
Yeah, but marriage in general was sort of geared towards women. You can't just dump the chick you banged because she got pregnant. She's yours now and so is the kid. Raising a child as a single parent is hard now, but a single mother back when women didn't have washing machines or minivans? A lot harder.

Of course these days it's about as useful as the human appendix. In first-world countries, at least.

HappyOldGuy
31st December 08, 04:26 PM
Lets take this thread in a new direction.

There is no actual requirement for male monogamy in the Old or New testaments. Not even Martin Luther himself could find one.

What the bible does expressly forbid is the following:-

1) Women cheating on their husbands.

2) Men cheating with another man's wife.

3) Bestiality.

There is no actual injuction in the bible against a man marrying multiple women, or sleeping with unmarried women who aren't promised to anybody else, or being gay/bi.

The bible's sexual morality really does boil down to 'men should not cock-block each other or fuck animals, and women should be faithful to the man they're wit even if he's out banging other chicks' and that's pretty much it.

The old testament is full of polygamists, guys who screw the home help and guys who have consensual incest with their daughters (although rape is never explicitly condoned, only implied as condoned in the case of the women of a tribe who resist God's power). None of them receive any admonition or disapproval from Jahweh.

Most of the other things we accept as 'Christian morality' today actually come from pagan Roman civil law.

Is this morality right from a humanistic rational viewpoint? No, not in my view, I think it's unfair to women. It allows pretty much anything except bestiality for men even if they're married, but women basically become somebody else's property if they get married, and are still expected to be 'one at a time' kinda gals regardless. I think that's unfair.

Sleeping with unmarried gals of the tribe is a no no. As is all forms of boy on boy love. But your general premise works.

Cullion
31st December 08, 04:30 PM
I'm actually not convinced that boy on boy love is explicitly banned in the bible, but I take your point about maidens of your own tribe.

HappyOldGuy
31st December 08, 04:37 PM
Yeah, but marriage in general was sort of geared towards women. You can't just dump the chick you banged because she got pregnant. She's yours now and so is the kid. Raising a child as a single parent is hard now, but a single mother back when women didn't have washing machines or minivans? A lot harder.

Of course these days it's about as useful as the human appendix. In first-world countries, at least.
You have it backwards poops. The whole point of the whole exercise was to guarantee that you weren't investing your hard earned ducats on clothing and feeding some other guys seed. You have layers on layers of protections designed to ensure that. The biblical stuff was just one.

Think modern day Saudi Arabia.

Cullion
31st December 08, 04:44 PM
Absolutely, from a zoological viewpoint, marriage is an institution intended to ensure that children continue to recieve their father's economic support as a provider/care assistant, which is exactly why the social mores about it get looser the richer you are. Even before the 60s, male movie stars and industry moghuls didn't receive as much social disapproval for moving on to a hotter/younger/more agreable model because there was a tacit understanding that regardless, their kids would still have nannies, home help and financial support that wasn't available to the children of blue collar dads who strayed.

The 1960s made a dent in that, in the sense that women who can still see right by their kids also have a pass when it comes to moving on to new men, but the morality of the working and lower-middle class, in practice, still frowns on divorce after children are born because the financial resources available to care for the children simply aren't the same.

Marriage, in a sociological sense, in a modern western society, is simply an excuse to have a party, with an implied business contract attached. The real nitty gritty is the point at which you decide to have children together. That's the clincher.

Aphid Jones
31st December 08, 05:03 PM
I'm actually not convinced that boy on boy love is explicitly banned in the bible, but I take your point about maidens of your own tribe.
What about Leviticus?

Cullion
31st December 08, 05:37 PM
That's a good point, lets examine it further.

Firstly, this isn't in the ten commandments.

Second, we have to remember that some parts of the Old Testament don't take the same tone about homosexuality. Examples can be found in the Song of Solomon.

Thirdly, we have to be willing to look at other translations of the same Hebrew.

Finally, the full law of the old testament still applies to Orthodox Jews as I understand it, but not to Christians in quite the same way, because the Christ set them free by his sacrifice. For example, the Old Testament explains the kosher dietary laws, but Christians aren't bound by them.

It may be, as thought by some moderately progressive Christians, that being gay is a sin, but a forgiveable one, not unlike lying on a tax return or fornication in general:-

Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

Further:-

For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

So people who don't sacrifice a red heffer in the approriate way will be beaten just as hard as homosexuals. This is not to toughen up the punishment on the gay people, this is to remind us all that whilst we should do our best, it is not our place to judge. And that's assuming Christ didn't set us free from laws against the gay. He certainly never spoke against it.

Aphid Jones
31st December 08, 05:45 PM
Don't get me wrong, I find the arguments that use the bible against homosexuality to be rather baseless. But many cultures do have taboos against homosexuality; perhaps the hebrews were one of em'.

HappyOldGuy
31st December 08, 05:45 PM
Wait a sec, If we're talking about christianity then I misread this somehow. Christianity is very specifically monotheistic, no nookie outside of wedlock, and nookie in wedlock is only okay because that's better for the weaker types than burning in hell. It's a whole nuther anti-materialistic dualist kettle of fish. You are right that some of that is growing in reaction to roman (actually hellenic) social mores rather than old school desert tribal mores, but that's cause everyone involved was a hellenized type.

Aphid Jones
31st December 08, 05:48 PM
HOG, do you mean hellenic or hellenistic?

It's definitely true that even the "pagan" Late Romans themselves were taken aback by some imported Greek (Hellenic) values. Look at Octavian/Augustus's reforms and his campaign against Ovid's sexy poetry. Romans always wanted a throwback to "traditional values". Sound familiar?

Not to say that "traditional roman values" are anything good; they're barbaric, too.

HappyOldGuy
31st December 08, 05:49 PM
HOG, do you mean hellenic or hellenistic?

They both work, but hellenistic is maybe clearer.

Sun Wukong
31st December 08, 05:50 PM
Well, it was either that or daddy issues. And he didn't try to crawl up in your lap.

There is a humorous youtube video for everyhing.

BTfFbeYzc88

... but seriously, I really do hate that miserable slab of garbage.

Cullion
31st December 08, 05:51 PM
Christianity is very specifically monogamist, no nookie outside of wedlock, and nookie in wedlock is only okay because that's better for the weaker types than burning in hell. It's a whole nuther anti-materialistic dualist kettle of fish. You are right that some of that is growing in reaction to roman (actually hellenic) social mores rather than old school desert tribal mores, but that's cause everyone involved was a hellenized type.

Sorry, I don't believe this to be the case. Enlighten me by chapter and verse.

Aphid Jones
31st December 08, 05:55 PM
Sorry, I don't believe this to be the case. Enlighten me by chapter and verse.
I know what he's talking about. It was either from apocrypha or one of those extra-gospel chats the apostles made to various people. Like Corinthians, for example. That bit about sex being an alternative for the weak is from a similar text, though to be honest I can't recall which.

HappyOldGuy
31st December 08, 06:00 PM
I know what he's talking about. It was either from apocrypha or one of those extra-gospel chats the apostles made to various people. Like Corinthians, for example. That bit about sex being an alternative for the weak is from a similar text, though to be honest I can't recall which.

Yes Corinthians

Now concerning the things about which you wrote, it is good for a man not to touch a woman.

But because of immoralities, each man is to have his own wife, and each woman is to have her own husband.

The husband must fulfill his duty to his wife, and likewise also the wife to her husband.

The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does; and likewise also the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.

Stop depriving one another, except by agreement for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer, and come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

But this I say by way of concession, not of command.

Yet I wish that all men were even as I myself am However, each man has his own gift from God, one in this manner, and another in that.

But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I.

But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion

And don't even think about pulling a "that's not in the gospels" line out of your ass. That is without question one of, if not the oldest of all extant christian writing and predates all the gospels. And it is written by the single most important figure in the history of the christian church.

I know you thought that was Jesus.

You thought wrong.

Aphid Jones
31st December 08, 06:06 PM
Jesus didn't say it.

Aphid Jones
31st December 08, 06:07 PM
He didn't tap either.

HappyOldGuy
31st December 08, 06:09 PM
Jesus didn't say it.

Sure of that are we?

Jesus replied, "Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.

SFGOON
31st December 08, 06:10 PM
Yes Corinthians

And don't even think about pulling a "that's not in the gospels" line out of your ass. That is without question one of, if not the oldest of all extant christian writing and predates all the gospels. And it is written by the single most important figure in the history of the christian church.

I know you thought that was Jesus.

You thought wrong.

Wait wait wait. You're saying that Peter > Jesus Christ?

HappyOldGuy
31st December 08, 06:13 PM
He didn't tap either.

Have you ever tried tapping from a crucifix?
http://www.grapplearts.com/Images/Grappling-Techniques/Matt-Kirtley/Crucifix-Traditional.JPG

HappyOldGuy
31st December 08, 06:14 PM
Wait wait wait. You're saying that Peter > Jesus Christ?

Paul

Aphid Jones
31st December 08, 06:14 PM
Sure of that are we?
Is that from John?

HappyOldGuy
31st December 08, 06:16 PM
Is that from John?

Now yer gonna make me look it up again.

Matthew 19

Aphid Jones
31st December 08, 06:18 PM
Renounce MARRIAGE, doesn't say anything about the poon.

Behold the advantages of bibliolatry: Loopholes galore!

SFGOON
31st December 08, 06:18 PM
No, Jesus was the son of God. Peter was his best disciple. Paul (Saul,) was a murderer who had a seizure and hit his head, then went all Jesus-Freak. He didn't even regain his sight without Peter's help, so how is Paul better than Peter? And how are either one of them better than Jesus?

You're crazy! Shame on you! You're going to hell!

taijiamn
31st December 08, 06:23 PM
HOG, got any others? I'm pretty sure that's Paul's personal ideas about sex, and not anything thats a God mandate.

HappyOldGuy
31st December 08, 06:23 PM
No, Jesus was the son of God. Peter was his best disciple. Paul (Saul,) was a murderer who had a seizure and hit his head, then went all Jesus-Freak. He didn't even regain his sight without Peter's help, so how is Paul better than Peter? And how are either one of them better than Jesus?

You're crazy! Shame on you! You're going to hell!

Quite So! (http://www.bigeye.com/donjuan.htm)

Seriously, almost all the guys who actually knew jesus were jews who got offed in the revolt. It was the gentiles and hellenized exiles that Paul recruited who made the whole religion part happen.

HappyOldGuy
31st December 08, 06:24 PM
HOG, got any others? I'm pretty sure that's Paul's personal ideas about sex, and not anything thats a God mandate.
I speak with more authority than sense about history, philosophy, and sociology when I can sneak it in.

Divine intent is way above my pay grade.

Aphid Jones
31st December 08, 06:26 PM
Hog:

Stop making this thread about something relevant, we are supposed to DESTROY it, not bolster it.

Cullion
31st December 08, 06:30 PM
Yes Corinthians

Roman fabrication. Has to be. It tells me I cannot fuck handmaidens even if I take them by right of conquest, how can that be right?

Aphid Jones
31st December 08, 06:30 PM
Roman fabrication. Has to be. It tells me I cannot fuck handmaidens even if I take them by right of conquest, how can that be right?
You don't have enough charisma points.

Cullion
31st December 08, 06:36 PM
that's what u think

Sun Wukong
31st December 08, 07:34 PM
that's what u think

It was a DND reference/joke. I forget sometimes that people didn't all spend their early teen years playing DND.

Cullion
31st December 08, 07:54 PM
I did spend all my teen years playing DnD (alongside krotty and smoking pot), but it was AD & D 2nd Edition, with some Cthulhu and Warhammer roleplay on the side.

What did I miss here ? I can still remember what fucking page the saving throws table was on in second edition for chrissakes.

Sun Wukong
31st December 08, 07:56 PM
I stand corrected.

Cullion
31st December 08, 07:58 PM
That's fine, but what have I forgotten here? is it something pre or post second edition? Have I simply forgotten something from that era?

I'm anxious now. I don't get to play RPGs any more, but I still have some rulebooks on my bedside table that I flick through and occasionally sketch out a scenario, or maybe just a character when I'm trying to take it easy.

Sun Wukong
31st December 08, 08:11 PM
It was the Charisma point reference, I thought you didn't get that it was a reference to sitting at the gaming table when some doofus starts trying to bag the local village girls and wants to roll for a chance to get laid or something equally lame.

Oy vey, I'm such a fucking dork.

Cullion
31st December 08, 08:14 PM
But 'Charm' is only a first level spell, as is 'Charm Animal'. I guess some people insist on doing these things the hard way.

Cullion
31st December 08, 08:16 PM
I'm sorry, I'm drunk again. It's 2009 in the UK. Which means it's time I cleaned my act up.

Sun Wukong
31st December 08, 08:17 PM
yeah, but that's like magical based gaming rape. besides, you'll piss of the paladin.

Cullion
31st December 08, 08:23 PM
Man I miss RPGs. I ought to dig up that old thread about internet rpg forums/realtime software for tabletop that sociociders could take part in.

Aphid Jones
31st December 08, 08:25 PM
The fact that I never played DnD shows how powerful a cultural influence that game has.

HappyOldGuy
31st December 08, 08:42 PM
But 'Charm' is only a first level spell, as is 'Charm Animal'. I guess some people insist on doing these things the hard way.

3D6 Aid (presence) Gestures and incantations Instant (+1/2) Requires Spell Roll (+1/2) Only versus animals and blondes (+1)

Cullion
31st December 08, 09:59 PM
dork

HappyOldGuy
1st January 09, 01:00 AM
dork

Of course, it was just a matter of flagging exactly which kind.

Sun Wukong
1st January 09, 02:15 AM
By the way... did you know that DND 4th edition dropped Charm person from low level spell lists entirely. It's like a level 9 spell now or something. 4th edition is the real corruption of divinity. HERESY, SAY I!

Robot Jesus
1st January 09, 03:33 AM
By the way... did you know that DND 4th edition dropped Charm person from low level spell lists entirely. It's like a level 9 spell now or something. 4th edition is the real corruption of divinity. HERESY, SAY I!
I'm more upset with the elimination of chaotic good and lawful evil. THOSE ARE THE ONLY NON NEUTRAL CHARACTER I CAN PORTRAY FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME.

Sun Wukong
1st January 09, 03:57 AM
4th edition massively migrated from what the old school fans enjoyed. i can truly say I will never willingly play that game again after this new crap.

BTW, I hear sales of the game fell through the floor. It's too late though, the damage has been done. Unless they just stop pushing this new crap all together, I think D&D just failed it's saving through against bad game design.

What really pisses me off, is from a business perspective, I know exactly what they are doing. They are basically trying to remove any and all game based effects that cannot be adjudicated by software so they can harvest DND players for an eventual online game play system or MMORPG that exactly mimicks the rules.

They launched DDO, it flopped and instead of learning from the mistakes they made with that crap fest, they reverse engineered a solution that said if the MMORPG won't work because we can't emulate DND well enough, then we'll change DND so that it can be easily converted into an MMORPG precisely.

And that's exactly what they did. No more instant kill effects, no more spells with abstract game effects, no mind control effects that I saw. Look at it, it's like they designed the entire game with psuedo code. They even had professional programmers on the staff in the book credits, I shit you not.

The lame ass, non-sensical back story was even written by a game programmer and you know how much talent they have when it comes to creating story arcs... ugh, it's crap. Crap, crap, crap, crap.

Cullion
1st January 09, 05:11 AM
Only 3 RPGs of interest to me now. Warhammer roleplaying, Fading Suns and Call of Cthulhu.

AAAhmed46
1st January 09, 05:12 AM
cthulhu has his own rpg?

Bastard!

SpringHeeledJack
1st January 09, 05:43 AM
You know, I've never played any role-playing games like D&D or whatever, but for some reason, when you guys start talking about it, I cannot seem to pull myself away. Something about it is just fascinating to me.

Shawarma
1st January 09, 06:53 AM
It's fun, actually. I played a self-invented RPG when I was like 12 and had a lot of laffs.

Do it, it's never to late to let out your inner fat virgin!

Yiktin Voxbane
1st January 09, 11:09 PM
thac0 FOR LIFE !!!

WarPhalange
2nd January 09, 01:22 AM
That thac0 stuff was confusing. DND v2 was really weird in general. The rules stopped me from power gaming Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. But I guess that's only because I was used to shit stacking from games like Diablo. It makes sense that if there were two magical items doing the same thing, only the most powerful one would help insead of them stacking.

Cullion
2nd January 09, 10:13 AM
Poops, did you ever play table top RPGs?

MaverickZ
2nd January 09, 11:25 AM
d6 4 Life!

HappyOldGuy
2nd January 09, 11:48 AM
The only game you need! (http://www.herogames.com/aboutChampions.htm)

Shawarma
2nd January 09, 12:39 PM
So, is this like City of Heroes 2?

Sun Wukong
2nd January 09, 02:58 PM
The only game you need! (http://www.herogames.com/aboutChampions.htm)

GAH, Champions table top RPG was fun... but hoooleee shit did that game take a lot of time to make characters for. Worse than Rifts, DND, Shadowrun, Cthulhu, Chill or any other game I ever played. it was a nachtmare.

WarPhalange
3rd January 09, 01:27 AM
Poops, did you ever play table top RPGs?

Like twice. By the time I decided it would be fun, it was almost time to graduate from high school and hence nobody really had free time in sync with 3-5 other people in order to play a decent game.

Sun Wukong
3rd January 09, 01:42 AM
... aren't you in college? AND NOBODY HAS ANY FREE TIME?????

WTF? All I had in college was free time, except when classes demanded it, and even though I at times worked my self stupid, there was still plenty of time.

However, there was a decided lack of people I was willing to sit across the table from. I did a lot of PK'ing back in the day because there's only so much stupidity I'm willing to put up with in my spare time.

SFGOON
3rd January 09, 01:47 AM
Those are the hard sciences for you. Rigorous as fuck, and they tend to attract a hyper-focus prone, autistic spectrum type personality.

Steve
3rd January 09, 02:00 AM
You know, I've never played any role-playing games like D&D or whatever, but for some reason, when you guys start talking about it, I cannot seem to pull myself away. Something about it is just fascinating to me.

There are plenty of videos out there that portray my DnD experiences quite accurately. One of my favorites:

KdAmP9PQCSI

Well, we had better costumes.

WarPhalange
3rd January 09, 02:52 AM
... aren't you in college? AND NOBODY HAS ANY FREE TIME?????

WTF? All I had in college was free time, except when classes demanded it, and even though I at times worked my self stupid, there was still plenty of time.

Is that why you never learned to read? I said free time that was in sync with other people's free time. People have jobs, evening classes, extracurricular stuff, etc. and it's hard to line up your free time with theirs.

Cullion
3rd January 09, 09:28 AM
I'm surprised your college doesn't have an RPG society/club you can turn up to.

Steve
3rd January 09, 10:00 AM
It does. Many.

Cullion
3rd January 09, 10:11 AM
PL could make some friends too. There might even be girls!

Steve
3rd January 09, 10:14 AM
LOL, funny.

SFGOON
3rd January 09, 10:16 AM
Oh yeah, he could vampire larp, he could SCA larp, there's a lot of larping at the UW.

Funny story, my ROTC instructor saw a classmate of mine riding down the street wearing vampire makeup and a black cape. Every time he'd miss class (which was frequent,) said instructor would launch into a "Blah! My mother doesn't love me! Blah!" diatribe.

HappyOldGuy
3rd January 09, 12:39 PM
There might even be girls!

If things are like they were where I went to school.

RPG Club=2 and they are so sick of being hit on by geeks that they are exploring their lesbian tendencies. Plus the DMs girlfriend.

Vampire LARP=almost cute girls who like to cut on themselves. Highly recommeded.

SCA=Lots of girls, available, and tons of fun. Emphasis on tons. In case you missed that I bolded tons. Yeah, I mean fat.

Cullion
3rd January 09, 12:56 PM
I like the cut of your jib. I think psychologically unstable but cute goths with self-harm and esteem issues would be an excellent place for Poop Loops to start.

bob
3rd January 09, 03:14 PM
If things are like they were where I went to school.

RPG Club=2 and they are so sick of being hit on by geeks that they are exploring their lesbian tendencies. Plus the DMs girlfriend.

Vampire LARP=almost cute girls who like to cut on themselves. Highly recommeded.

SCA=Lots of girls, available, and tons of fun. Emphasis on tons. In case you missed that I bolded tons. Yeah, I mean fat.

"All happy RPG groups are alike. Every unhappy RPG group is unhappy in it's own way."

SFGOON
4th January 09, 01:25 AM
I think psychologically unstable but cute goths with self-harm and esteem issues would be an excellent place for Poop Loops to start.

Yes, these are wise words. I still remember my first date - at like 21. She threw darts at me, I felt her up, she stalked me for three weeks after I didn't call her back. Good times, and a real eye-opener for the naive romantic.

WarPhalange
4th January 09, 01:29 AM
I'm surprised your college doesn't have an RPG society/club you can turn up to.

Dude, fuck that. I don't want to hang out with those kinds of people. Seriously. I get enough Nerd by hanging out with my *friends* who are fellow physics majors. And I say "Nerd" in a good way. We talk a lot about boring things that interest us.

Besides, if I was going to join some club at school, I would just do Judo. I would right now, but the damn buses don't go back that late. I'd have to go through Downtown Seattle and through Seatac Airport, making my commute go from 1hr to about 2.

Sun Wukong
4th January 09, 01:33 AM
holy crap, is that 1 hour a one way trip? or round trip?

Fuck that man. You need a car dude.

bob
4th January 09, 01:34 AM
Obviously you don't want to hang around with nerds any more than you have to. That's why you post on sociocide right?

WarPhalange
4th January 09, 02:00 AM
You guys are too stupid to be nerds.

No offense.

WarPhalange
4th January 09, 02:01 AM
holy crap, is that 1 hour a one way trip? or round trip?

Fuck that man. You need a car dude.

One way. It's a LOT faster by bus, actually, since it takes the carpool lane and only has 2 stops before mine (it's an express bus). Plus I don't have to deal with parking.

SFGOON
4th January 09, 02:02 AM
That's one of the few good things about KC Metro. Getting from city to city is easy. Navigating the city itself is a goatfuck.

WarPhalange
4th January 09, 02:03 AM
Definitely. If I take a bus from Downtown to UW it has like a million (I counted) stops in between. That's what takes the longest.

Sun Wukong
4th January 09, 02:21 AM
One way. It's a LOT faster by bus, actually, since it takes the carpool lane and only has 2 stops before mine (it's an express bus). Plus I don't have to deal with parking.

Soooo, you live with your parents then right? Because who would do that shit to themselves unless the alternative is paying rent for a dorm?

I lived on campus for 3 years of my bachelors and my first apartment was literally right across the street from my university. I had no more than a 10 minute walk to any part of the campus I wanted to go to. That's why those inner city universities suck ass man.

Suburban college life is teh superior.

Cullion
4th January 09, 07:07 AM

No offense.

That's low. That's very low.

Kiko
4th January 09, 07:50 AM
thac0 FOR LIFE !!!

That thac0 stuff was confusing. DND v2 was really weird in general. The rules stopped me from power gaming Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. But I guess that's only because I was used to shit stacking from games like Diablo. It makes sense that if there were two magical items doing the same thing, only the most powerful one would help insead of them stacking.

http://wiki.rpg.net/images/thumb/3/3a/MPost201-Thac04sv.jpg/491px-MPost201-Thac04sv.jpg

Cullion
4th January 09, 07:58 AM
Why is THAC0 considered complex by somebody studying Physics ?

It's just what you have to roll over to hit somebody with armour class 0, and then you subtract the target's actual armour class from it and roll over that.

MaverickZ
4th January 09, 10:26 AM

No offense.
Says the man who couldn't figure out a fucking power adapter for his laptop. You're like a fucking caricature of a physics dork.

Robot Jesus
4th January 09, 01:01 PM

why don't you just put your Real Dolls™ in the passenger seats?

Matt Stone
4th January 09, 06:14 PM

Ah, but you say that like it's necessarily a bad thing... Those girls need male attention like nobody's business (which is why they'll slut themselves up, wearing tightly laced bodices, and cast themselves in the "bar wench" role willingly).

I think sometimes folks set their standards entirely too high... No reason not to date the hot wannabe models (with little to no imagination or mental capacity) while hanging out with (and boinking) some chubbier (but slightly more entertaining) SCA freaks.

A local former SCAer told me about the different "tents" that SCAers gather at late in the evening during RenFaires and other gatherings... Apparently there's a "blue feather" tent for "th3 gh3ys" and another tent for the heteros who're trying to get a little larping strange...

If that doesn't cast SCA in another light, I'm not sure what would. My only concern is whether those tent gatherings are more like a swinger's orgy or more like a furry's love pile... :biggrin:

WarPhalange
4th January 09, 06:33 PM
Soooo, you live with your parents then right? Because who would do that shit to themselves unless the alternative is paying rent for a dorm?

I lived on campus for 3 years of my bachelors and my first apartment was literally right across the street from my university. I had no more than a 10 minute walk to any part of the campus I wanted to go to. That's why those inner city universities suck ass man.

Suburban college life is teh superior.

Yeah, I know. My friends all live on or around campus. One of them takes the bus. 10 minute ride. Big whoop. I'm really regretting I didn't just bite the bullet and take out a bigger loan so I could live in a dorm. It's my last year now, so no point in setting that shit up at this point.

Says the man blah blah.

Thanks for calling me a man. It's funny, last quarter I was packing up after class and the next class was already starting to sit down. Then some girl goes "Sir?" I turn around and yes, she was talking to me. She asked what class just got done. But I was baffled because I was wearing my Slayer T-shirt, hair down to my shoulders, and raggedy jeans. Who the fuck would call me sir? I'm only 22 god dammit. Do I really look that old?

Cullion
4th January 09, 06:40 PM
When I used to go to a tabletop gaming club in my teens, not many girls turned up. Maybe 1 girl to every 10 guys, but all the girls who did were actually quite cute.

WarPhalange
4th January 09, 06:47 PM
They were very insecure and had low self esteem. By random chance instead of ending up in an abusive relationship she ended up rolling dice and wiping the drool of 10 guys off of her.

Matt Stone
4th January 09, 06:49 PM
When I used to go to a tabletop gaming club in my teens, not many girls turned up. Maybe 1 girl to every 10 guys, but all the girls who did were actually quite cute.

It's interesting to see some of the gals involved in GW's Golden Daemon miniature painting competitions, or some of the others that are involved professionally with the hobby. More and more they're not fatty-fat-fats with a face only a blind, horny pit bull could love, but rather they're becoming young, attractive, and obviously very interesting ladies.

Nice to see things change.

My son's a big time console gamer, and seeing some of the girls his age that are video game bonkers gives me hope that he'll manage to nail down a decent looking piece of punani before he graduates HS.

PL, you still in Seattle? I thought you moved...

WarPhalange
4th January 09, 07:10 PM

Federal Way actually. That's where I've been the whole time. I really want to get the fuck out, though. I just kind of regret that that will also involve leaving the state in general. I love Washington. :(

Cullion
4th January 09, 07:28 PM
They were very insecure and had low self esteem. By random chance instead of ending up in an abusive relationship she ended up rolling dice and wiping the drool of 10 guys off of her.

Actually, only one of them was like that.

Imagine what it would be like for you to be surrounded by polite, clever but shy women because they felt awkward talking to men and who all thought you were the most handsome man they'd met in the last six months.

A lot of reasonably hot or truly hot chicks enjoy being in a geek environment because it's an ego boost for them.

WarPhalange
4th January 09, 07:29 PM
Which is exactly what I said. They are insecure and have low self esteem. They need the ego boost.

Cullion
4th January 09, 07:36 PM
Enjoying an ego boost doesn't always imply what you're suggesting. If a girl ever lets you touch her magic place, we can discuss this further.

WarPhalange
4th January 09, 07:46 PM
I see. You first got laid by one of those poor self-esteem girls, right? Did she tell you that the way you rolled that die made her hot?

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20081017.gif

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1318#comic

Sun Wukong
4th January 09, 07:55 PM
huh...

everytime i try to post a reply in this thread that's more than a couple of sentences long I get this really weird error message.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forums/editpost.php on this server.

What the fuck is that about?

Sun Wukong
4th January 09, 08:01 PM
It's really kinda disappointing to because 1) i spent a really long time typing up this horrible memory and 2) this is one of the foulest things to ever happen to me, it also is kinda funny in a sick sad way

Cullion
4th January 09, 08:10 PM
I see. You first got laid by one of those poor self-esteem girls, right? Did she tell you that the way you rolled that die made her hot?

My first time? No, that was with the big-breasted low-self esteem chick who'd already fucked most of my friends and whose parents were away alot. I don't think she would've known what D&D was.

Cullion
4th January 09, 08:11 PM
It's really kinda disappointing to because 1) i spent a really long time typing up this horrible memory and 2) this is one of the foulest things to ever happen to me, it also is kinda funny in a sick sad way

You're a fucking tease. Yes you are.

WarPhalange
4th January 09, 08:33 PM
huh...

everytime i try to post a reply in this thread that's more than a couple of sentences long I get this really weird error message.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forums/editpost.php on this server.

What the fuck is that about?

I got this a lot. I figured out that it was because I had a backslash (forward slash? The opposite of this thing / ) in my text.

WarPhalange
4th January 09, 08:35 PM
Enjoying an ego boost doesn't always imply what you're suggesting. If a girl ever lets you touch her magic place

Yeah I tried that once...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2005/20051021h.jpg

Cullion
4th January 09, 08:50 PM
I got this a lot. I figured out that it was because I had a backslash (forward slash? The opposite of this thing / ) in my text.

I get it just hitting the new posts button sometimes. There don't seem to be clear steps to replicate this, so it might be just a non-deterministic load related thing.

Are we hosted on the same server as Bullshido now ? It happens to me on Bullshido too sometimes.

WarPhalange
4th January 09, 09:02 PM
Clearly you didn't roll high enough to pass the Reply Check. You can fix this by spending points in the Post skill. Then it becomes real easy. I'm at the point where it seems like I am only clicking on the "Post Quick Reply" button and it happens. I'm that good.

Jim_Jude
6th January 09, 05:49 PM
Federal Way actually. That's where I've been the whole time. I really want to get the fuck out, though. I just kind of regret that that will also involve leaving the state in general. I love Washington. :(

Hey, you ever been to Verrazanos on Pac Highway? That place is really bomb, I ate there a few times with my mom & stepdad. One good thing about Fed Way, it very centrally located (that is, if you even care about Tacoma or Puyallup)

Matt Stone
6th January 09, 09:11 PM
Hey, you ever been to Verrazanos on Pac Highway? That place is really bomb, I ate there a few times with my mom & stepdad. One good thing about Fed Way, it very centrally located (that is, if you even care about Tacoma or Puyallup)

Seriously, I've lived here for nigh on 6 years now, and I have to say that Seattle is highly, highly, highly over-rated. Great food, neat shopping, some historic spots, good martial arts, but the overall attitude of the place justifies its immediate nuclear annihilation...

nihilist
6th January 09, 09:15 PM
Incoming!

Matt Stone
7th January 09, 12:35 AM
HERESY! I decree that you will die by Starbucks enemas! Your corpse will be torn into four pieces by Toyota Priuses and then burned in a campfire. The ashes will be used to brew tea which will be served to vagrants at the union gospel mission. They will piss you out in some dark alley like the scum you are.

BTW, I have been to most of these United States, and no other city, be it in California or New York, holds a candle to my dear Seattle. LONG LIVE BILL OF THE GATES!

Here's my story...

I'm at the Starbucks downtown, right across the street (kind of) from Macy's. Now, this has been years ago, I'll admit, but in other stores, in other situations, I've run into the same attitude...

I was never much of a coffee drinker. I drink coffee now because it's so damned easily obtainable (and sooooo tasty). So I'm standing there, trying to figure out what the fuck a "venti" was, and why there wasn't a small, medium or large selection. The "barista" behind the counter copped an attitude with me, got snippy, and was out and out rude as I asked questions about macchiatos, frappes, etc.

So, apparently, her deliberate application for a customer service position didn't include her intent to ever actually provide customer service. She behaved as if I was a delay in her day, an obstacle, instead of the sole purpose of her employment.

So I asked for a caramel macchiato - you can't go wrong with a fu-fu drink like that. She asked me "do you want that wet or dry?" Wet or dry? Did she wonder if I liked my coffee unwatered, spooned out of the bottom of a cup to be crunched and chewed? I told her that, generally, I liked to drink my coffee, so add water, please. Huffing, she replied "No, I meant 'do you want foam or no foam.' *another huff*" I responded, "then why didn't you say that?"

Bottom line, this barista-bitch, this human coffee maker (and nothing more), was giving me, the customer, an attitude because somehow I was inferior to her bean-slinging ass...

In nearly every other customer service situation in Seattle (except when at Sephora with my wife, where the attendants are either women or gay, and all about the commission on sales), I've had similar experiences.

Seattle is gorgeous, and hands down one of the most beautiful cities I've ever lived in. There are amazing restaurants, some incredible small stores (there's a comic shop in the Pike Market that kicks serious ass), and some awesome martial arts offerings. But the attitude of so many Seattle-ites makes the nuclear doom of the Emerald City a legitimate reality if I ever take over the world... We will rebuild, surely, after the people learn the lesson of the mushroom cloud of courtesy...

Sun Wukong
7th January 09, 12:58 AM
My son's a big time console gamer, and seeing some of the girls his age that are video game bonkers gives me hope that he'll manage to nail down a decent looking piece of punani before he graduates HS.

WAIT WHAT???? DUDE, he's a teenager. Are you seriously worried about his inability to get some girl to knock his bits around?

Holy crap man, I thought that was every parent's nightmare. Wait until he gets to college before you start feeling sorry for the little guy.

I'm worried that my kids won't like Nietzche and won't understand the analects. you're worried that your kid won't get anal. He'll be fine unless he's morbidly obese or is a total dickhead. I'm fairly sure he's probably just a regular kid, so he should do fine like most regular kids do.

WarPhalange
7th January 09, 01:01 AM
Buy him some hookers for his birthday. That will ensure a healthy mental development for him, especially with regards to relationships with women.

WarPhalange
7th January 09, 01:28 AM
Basically, in Seattle I always feel like my ass is being kissed, even though I am not a celebrity or the boss.
That's because Washington is fucking awesome in general. Do you know why it has such a high suicide rate? Because every now and then someone will think about the people not living in Washington, maybe family or friends, or maybe just random people, and get very depressed. To the point of suicide. Same with the people who's jobs make them move elsewhere.

nihilist
7th January 09, 02:07 AM
Oh, PL you don't love me enough to make the world a better place.

Jim_Jude
7th January 09, 03:15 AM
Bottom line, this barista-bitch, this human coffee maker (and nothing more), was giving me, the customer, an attitude because somehow I was inferior to her bean-slinging ass...

Dude, seriously, I saw this EXACT SAME THING in the Starbucks in Shibuya Station the last time I was in Tokyo. This attitude is UNIVERSAL to slingers of bean juice.

Seattle is gorgeous, and hands down one of the most beautiful cities I've ever lived in. There are amazing restaurants, some incredible small stores (there's a comic shop in the Pike Market that kicks serious ass)...

It's called GOLDEN AGE COMICS, & it's the first comic book store that my mother took me to at the tender age of three. I walked in and just knew that I would be a comic geek for life. I don't have the foggiest idea what's going on with most titles these days, but I still collect the occasional book, such as a signed copy of The Dream Hunters (hard cover) by Neil Gaiman & Amano. Such works of art are impossible to pass up.

SFGOON
7th January 09, 05:09 AM
In nearly every other customer service situation in Seattle (except when at Sephora with my wife, where the attendants are either women or gay, and all about the commission on sales), I've had similar experiences.

Seattle is gorgeous, and hands down one of the most beautiful cities I've ever lived in. There are amazing restaurants, some incredible small stores (there's a comic shop in the Pike Market that kicks serious ass), and some awesome martial arts offerings. But the attitude of so many Seattle-ites makes the nuclear doom of the Emerald City a legitimate reality if I ever take over the world... We will rebuild, surely, after the people learn the lesson of the mushroom cloud of courtesy...

What?! Go fuck yourself, you!

HappyOldGuy
7th January 09, 12:08 PM
Dude, seriously, I saw this EXACT SAME THING in the Starbucks in Shibuya Station the last time I was in Tokyo. This attitude is UNIVERSAL to slingers of bean juice.

JJ has the correct.

Also, the bay area has way more people with shitty attitude than Seattle does.

Yet another way we beat you.