PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Gears of War 2 Review " " Fo' Reelz

WarPhalange
27th December 08, 09:18 PM
Update: Got the game working by buying a harddrive. I don't know why, but it works now. M$ and whoever made GoW (forget) can suck it anyway for making me pissed. Here is my review for real it:

http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1376014&postcount=38

My total score for it is:

Fuck if I Know/10

I can't play the damn thing for more than half an hour without it completely locking up due to a disc read error. Single player OR online. It's fucking ridiculous. And yes, I've already exchanged for a new copy. No, it doesn't happen with any other games.

A simple Google (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=%22gears+of+war+2%22+disc+read+error+xbox+360&spell=1) reveals this to be a widespread problem with the game thanks to M$'s policy of "Take their money now and we'll fix it later. Maybe."

It looks fucking awesome and the gameplay isn't too bad from what I've tried, but I can't even get used to the controls because it will give a disc read error anywhere between 10min and half an hour.

Equipoise
27th December 08, 09:29 PM
Another reason I hate consoles.

WarPhalange
27th December 08, 09:50 PM
This is the reason I haven't been buying (and hence playing) many games for a long time now. Steam's way of letting you download it is pretty good. I don't mind buying through Steam, providing they don't go tits up.

But the Spore SecuROM bullshit? Or the time I bought Dungeon Lords only to find out huge chunks of the game hadn't been finished, yet it was released anyway? And now this disc read error bullshit?

This is $60+ for a game that doesn't work. You are throwing your money away and literally gambling for something in return.

Granted this doesn't happen really often, but I don't remember it ever happening some 10 years ago. Games simply worked when they were released.

They're trying to pack so much shit into the DVD it just isn't working. I wouldn't mind 2 DVD's. Which game was it that had 5 CD's? Was it FF9? I didn't mind that, either. Because once I spent 3-5 seconds swapping discs, the damn thing worked and let me play as long as I wanted.

The worst part, though, is when the company stays silent about the issue. Sometimes companies go "We fucked up, sorry. We'll fix it ASAP." and that eases most of my anger and disappointment. Owning up to a mistake and fixing it means you really do care. But GoW2 has been out for almost two months without Epic Games even addressing the issue.

Equipoise
27th December 08, 09:53 PM
UT III on the PC had similar issues. It had major f'n graphics issues. It's Epic Games in general.

Also, Spore sucks shit. They said on X-play earlier this week that it was the most pirated game of 2008 and as such, they've decided to nix their attempt at piracy protection with an update.

WarPhalange
27th December 08, 10:07 PM
Oh the irony. Look, hax0rz aren't going to care about SecuROM. They will find a way around it and distribute the game anyway.

By making the game impossible to install legitimately, you simply turn away would-be customers who either don't buy it at all or get a pirated copy. For me it was the former. I just didn't care after I heard that, even though I really did want to spend money on the game. Good for me apparently, because the game isn't as orgasmic as people said it would be. Big surprise.

Whereas look at Steam. You don't need shit. You log in with your free account, and download the game you bought if you want to install it. You can do that from anywhere as long as you have broadband, which although a problem isn't that bad since broadband is very widespread these days. You don't even need a disc or anything. It's easier than pirating because you have to 1) find a pirated version of the game 2) download it (can take a LONG time if you don't have a good source) 3) install it using various no-CD hacks and 4) get shafted when you realize you can't get updates or play online. That's if you're lucky enough to have a working pirated copy.

So there is no incentive to pirate it when it comes to Steam. This is the future of gaming. You just buy your shit over the web and download it onto your machine. Dog took a shit on your Xbox and you had to buy a new one? No problem, you already bought it once, you can download it again.

"But wait!" you are no doubt thinking. "Couldn't I just download it onto my machine, and then let my friend log into my account and do the same?" No, because each game will have to be played through your ID, and only one person can use that ID at a time. So only one of you can play the game online at a time. The way Steam does it, you have to be connected to their server to play, even single player, so that means only one person can play that game at a time.

Which is no problem. You can lend your game to a friend currently, so why not do the same when you don't need a CD? You can tell your friend your password or whatever you need to download the game, and then when he's done or you want to play, you just tell him to fuck off and you are playing again whereas nobody else with "your" game cannot. It's pretty easy.

Equipoise
27th December 08, 10:17 PM
You're preaching to the choir. I'm trying to figure out if I want to buy a water cooling setup or a new motherboard and processor. I just upgraded to a Geforce GTX 260. I'd like to overclock everything once I get it all established. I'm a novice when it comes to OC'ing stuff though.

Also, the new graphics cards are fucking huge man. When I read about them being large, I thought it was going to be larger than normal, but the thing is the size and weight of a brick.

WarPhalange
27th December 08, 10:33 PM
Yeah, it seems like bigger is the only way to go these days and getting a water cooling setup is a pretty good idea as far as cooling if you plan to OC. Not much room to circulate air when you have so much shit taking up all your space, not to mention fans getting ridiculously large now.

The way it has worked for me in the past is that every year I upgraded my computer. Not a total conversion, but either a video card, or motherboard/CPU, etc. Sometimes all, but not usually. And every year I had to relearn EVERYTHING about computers because now they have different ports and different methods of working and stuff like that. I skipped this year because I'll be moving out next year and I have no idea where yet, so I figure it's not worth the money. As such, I can't help you with specific parts. I don't know what video card it is you are talking about. Mine is like 3 years old now I think. =/

I did do a water cooling setup for my computer for a few months, though, and I've OC'ed practically every CPU I've had. It's funny because taking the electrical engineering class I did last quarter made me understand how OC'ing works on a completely different level. It's not just numbers anymore, but I actually know what it is I am changing now.

Anyway, if you have any questions about either of those, just ask. It's pretty easy, though. You start with your stock CPU settings and slowly raise the frequency until you hit a wall where you can't go any higher without stability issues. You then slightly raise the voltage and see if it helps. Raise again, see if it helps, etc. Eventually you should hit a wall where raising the voltage doesn't help, and that's your max OC.

Raising the voltage produces more heat, so that's why the water cooling is a good setup. As long as everything is secured tightly you should be fine. I managed not to break anything and I do everything half-assed. Just basically put together your system first but don't connect it to any computer parts yet. Take that beast and test run it for say 24 hours with something underneath to see if it leaked. If nothing happened, then you're pretty much set. Not much more you can do after that.

MSphinx
28th December 08, 12:38 AM
God damn I hate it when companies treat the public as unpaid game testers.

Arhetton
28th December 08, 03:16 AM
I got a copy for free, experienced none of the errors you report, and think this game is fucking awesome.

horde multiplayer FTW

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
28th December 08, 03:35 AM
I'll be moving out next year and I have no idea where yet,

to southern california
we'll stay up all night playing games on the steam network, and reading comic books.

WarPhalange
28th December 08, 04:56 AM
Where exactly in Southern California? I applied to Santa Barbara. Fat chance I'll get in, but you never know, maybe they haven't filled their "boring white guy" quota, or I might get in through their special ed program.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
28th December 08, 05:08 AM
that's over 100 miles away. maybe we could just meet in the middle and have ice cream

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
28th December 08, 05:09 AM
or vandalize stuff

WarPhalange
28th December 08, 05:13 AM
Since it is pretty hot in California, I vote ice cream.

EuropIan
28th December 08, 08:57 AM
This is a horrible review, Mr Rooney.

Neildo
28th December 08, 10:46 AM
this is gears2 for PC? i had it on release day and it ran fine on the xbox, and mine is 3 years old with a disc drive problem. still ran just fine.

single player is boring. getting drunk and playing 2-player co-op against the horde is fun though.

JohnnyCache
28th December 08, 06:56 PM
My total score for it is:

Fuck if I Know/10

I can't play the damn thing for more than half an hour without it completely locking up due to a disc read error. Single player OR online. It's fucking ridiculous. And yes, I've already exchanged for a new copy. No, it doesn't happen with any other games.

A simple Google (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=%22gears+of+war+2%22+disc+read+error+xbox+360&spell=1) reveals this to be a widespread problem with the game thanks to M$'s policy of "Take their money now and we'll fix it later. Maybe."

It looks fucking awesome and the gameplay isn't too bad from what I've tried, but I can't even get used to the controls because it will give a disc read error anywhere between 10min and half an hour.

You're full of shit. Mine works fine. Stop whining. Every xbox360 game will get that result from google. You said you exchanged it. That means it's your stupid xbox. Maybe you shouldn't let your 99 cats sleep on it. God I hate you so much for starting this thread. Is there any way you can jump in a fire?

EuropIan
28th December 08, 06:59 PM
http://liammitchell.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/7f5e6cc75ec0e9b9cae9ad26968340bc.jpg

JohnnyCache
28th December 08, 07:00 PM
YOU KNOW WHAT REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
28th December 08, 07:01 PM
interracial marriage?

EuropIan
28th December 08, 07:02 PM
WHY DO THEY CALL IT TAKING A DUMP WHEN YOU ARE ACTUALLY LEAVING ONE?

WarPhalange
28th December 08, 07:20 PM
You're full of shit. Mine works fine. Stop whining. Every xbox360 game will get that result from google. You said you exchanged it. That means it's your stupid xbox. Maybe you shouldn't let your 99 cats sleep on it. God I hate you so much for starting this thread. Is there any way you can jump in a fire?

I can't tell if you were being sarcastic or not with this post, but I left you a nice neg rep anyway. Either because you're too much of an idiot to read that I already wrote that every other game has worked fine on the XBox, which is only about a month old, so it's not the XBox.

Or because you suck at being a sarcastic troll. Take your pick.

EuropIan
28th December 08, 07:35 PM
This still isn't a review, Mr Rooney.

WarPhalange
28th December 08, 07:39 PM
It's the best I could do with what I had. Besides, I did say that the graphics are pretty and the gameplay seems alright.

WarPhalange
28th December 08, 07:46 PM
My girlfriend says video games are for losers. : (

I did sneak into the game store and rub GOW2 on my crotch a bit, just for a taste. It seemed pretty cool.

Oh snap. Next thing you know she'll say BJJ is gay or something. Looks like she's not so perfect after all, huh?

Equipoise
28th December 08, 07:50 PM
Yeah, it seems like bigger is the only way to go these days and getting a water cooling setup is a pretty good idea as far as cooling if you plan to OC. Not much room to circulate air when you have so much shit taking up all your space, not to mention fans getting ridiculously large now.

I have the NXT Tempest Case and the airflow is decent with the two top fans, side panel fan and two front fans. I should get a temperature monitor program to see what I can do to decrease the temperature via air flow. The top two fans are specifically made to integrate an internal water cooling system (via radiation to the fans and then out through the top.) I don't particularly trust an internal system though, not with the current affordable technologies present.

The way it has worked for me in the past is that every year I upgraded my computer. Not a total conversion, but either a video card, or motherboard/CPU, etc. Sometimes all, but not usually. And every year I had to relearn EVERYTHING about computers because now they have different ports and different methods of working and stuff like that. I skipped this year because I'll be moving out next year and I have no idea where yet, so I figure it's not worth the money. As such, I can't help you with specific parts. I don't know what video card it is you are talking about. Mine is like 3 years old now I think. =/

I did research last week on upgrading to a new CPU. Apparently the Intel Quad Cores are the way to go when OC'd versus the OC Duo Cores. Also the future integration of software that knows how to use each core with synergy. I now have to figure out what Motherboard to get... It seems in the last few years, the industry has changed radically from what I used to know via processor numbers, motherboards, graphics processors, etc.

I did do a water cooling setup for my computer for a few months, though, and I've OC'ed practically every CPU I've had. It's funny because taking the electrical engineering class I did last quarter made me understand how OC'ing works on a completely different level. It's not just numbers anymore, but I actually know what it is I am changing now. Anyway, if you have any questions about either of those, just ask. It's pretty easy, though. You start with your stock CPU settings and slowly raise the frequency until you hit a wall where you can't go any higher without stability issues. You then slightly raise the voltage and see if it helps. Raise again, see if it helps, etc. Eventually you should hit a wall where raising the voltage doesn't help, and that's your max OC.

From my reading/experience, I've gathered a modicum of knowledge on how to up the values. I'm still gray about the parts about tweaking the ram to be able to up the FSB. Is there a decent GUI program in Windows for OC'ing that you can recommend or am I relegated to doing it in the BIOS?

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/geforce_gtx_280/images/evga_geforce_gtx_280_s.jpg
http://overclockingpin.com/final%20gtx280/evga-gtx280-triple-sli-air.jpg

These are the 280 models, but it's the same size. I really don't understand why your average or hyped up gamer would need the SLI/Crossfire systems. That's ridiculous.

WarPhalange
28th December 08, 08:06 PM
Mein Got! That thing probably sucks up as much power as three regular houses.

EuropIan
28th December 08, 08:11 PM
I demand you put "" around 'review' in the thread title to show how "ironic" this is.

WarPhalange
28th December 08, 08:15 PM
I put the damn quotes. Happy?

EuropIan
28th December 08, 08:19 PM
"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!"

Edited for ironical accuracy

WarPhalange
28th December 08, 08:20 PM
It's called a "compromise", err.... compromise " ". Deal with it.

Equipoise
28th December 08, 10:05 PM
I haven't figured out why they gave two additional power outlets for the board aside from the SLI configurations. I'm guessing so one could tweak it for OC'ing?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
29th December 08, 12:05 AM
NERDS
NERDS
NEEEEEEEEEERDS!!!

SoulMechanic
29th December 08, 12:16 AM
NERDS
NERDS
NEEEEEEEEEERDS!!!
why use words when a picture will get the point across so much better?
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn392/dubrunner/m_be4324fb8be6b23b057926b30d948b0a.jpg

WarPhalange
8th January 09, 02:30 PM
Okay, so here is the real review:

The graphics are of course amazing. People don't expect anything less these days, so I won't bother saying anything besides that.

Sound and voice acting are great as well. Again, nothing less is expected these days.

So it comes down to gameplay and storyline. Let's start with storyline:

The Locust attack all your base. I never played the first one, so I don't know what their beef is, but they attack, you fend off, and then people get pissed and decide to take the battle to the Locust, deep underground into their HQ. Shit happens along the way, but generally it is okay. The ending kind of leaves you thinking "What happened next???" but not actually a cliff hanger. The story never made me think it was like overdramatic or something, or really bland or annoying. It was pretty cool, straight forward, though. You're a soldier so every now and then you are given some new instructions or there is a change of plans. Your character is sort of passive to the whole thing since he's just a grunt. It's not ball grabbing, but it doesn't make you bored or wonder why you are doing what you are doing.

Gameplay, though, is the whole point right? I played about half the game alone and the latter half with my brother. The game is cool in that once you get to a chapter, you can start a new game from that chapter in any difficulty setting and either co-op or single player too. The gameplay is pretty simple. After about 20 minutes of playing (sort of high learning curve) you realize the game boils down to

--hide behind cover
--shoot when you think it's safe
--move to new cover
--repeat until everyone is dead

So it's pretty repetitive. The game is actually quite long, too. But somehow the game never got boring for me. It's probably because I was playing with my brother, though. That always makes it more fun. The game is also really easy. There are only a few times that we got stuck, and it was really annoying parts where we either couldn't figure out what to do or they were just hard to pull off. Only a few moments like that, though. On the whole the game is pretty manageable. We played on "Normal" if that means anything, though. There are only a few bosses which is a bit of a shame. This kind of game really begs for bosses. The last boss is also insanely easy and simple. It's a shame.

Haven't played online much, but it's kind of cool, but kind of annoying. For some reason recent shooter games no longer have hit points or anything like that. If you get shot and run away, you will recover after a few seconds and be 100% again. So this means that when you are hiding under cover and shooting, if you get hit, you just stay still for a while and wait. The enemy's health doesn't recover, which is why it's easy.

On multiplayer though, it becomes annoying because it means you have to kill your opponent fast. You can't slowly chip away at them. That prevents two idiots camping on opposite ends of the map, but it also means you can't just use your knowledge of the map to your advantage by going around, getting a few shots off, and going around again, etc. You have to rush them if you want to kill them. Especially since hiding under cover makes you really hard to hit. So you often times have to rush the guy, either with a shotgun, or ready to go melee on him. If you have grenades you can flush him out of course, but if you don't kill him right then, you just wasted a grenade and ammo because you didn't do any lasting damage.

Game gets a solid 8/10 from me and JohnnyCache can suck it.