PDA

View Full Version : 24: season 1 (WTF)

partyboy
29th November 08, 05:12 PM
so I started watching because I've never really followed 24 and decided to marathon through the 17 hour 1st season over the holidays. Let me just start off by saying:

GAHHHH!

does this shit get any better? do the characters start to be believable? or even likable? what am I doing wrong??

the action is so-so, some decent shootouts/chases/beatings, but nothing all that memorable (I'd pick almost any episode of The Unit over pretty much all of this 1st season)

the plot... good god, the plot. how much shit can really go down in 24 hours?

let's go through a quick list (spoilers be damned):
- assassination attempt on future black prez
- jack's family gets kidnapped
- mole in the CTU
- black future prez's wife is a dick
- jack gets beat up
- wife gets raped
- wife gets pregnant (or finds out she is at least)
- wife gets amnesia (LOL, come on, really??)
- black future prez's wife is a dick (again)
- jack gets beat up (again)
- jack's family gets kidnapped (again)
- mole in the CTU (JESUS FUCK, AGAIN)
- assassination attempt on future black prez (AGAIN)
- OMG!!!!! JACK SAVES THE DAY

and just to save some space, I left out how many times one character or another thought another character was dead for all of 5 minutes and then the dead character is right back in it again.

and the last thing that annoyed the hell out of me (that I'll mention here)... most of these people start off the season already being up for at least a full day, expecting to go to sleep within the first episode. I don't care how bad ass these people may or may not be, if you've been awake for 24+ hours, the second you get some downtime, you're going to pass the fuck out, just like that

AND WHY DO THE SLIDES ON THEIR GUNS NEVER LOCK OPEN ON EMPTY

christ... I guess I'm bitter after giving up those 17 hours of my precious little life

but the question I'm posing to you 24-regulars... do the season get better? I've got season 2 sitting here, but god if I can't bring myself to even look at the first episode without some form of hope for the show

partyboy
29th November 08, 05:25 PM
here's a vid just so that you won't notice that I put this in the wrong forum:

x9RKhvZcoxU

WarPhalange
29th November 08, 06:20 PM
The characters never have to use the bathroom, eat, or drink, either.

You might be badass enough to be up for 48 hours and still kick ass, especially if you're family's been kidnapped, but nobody is badass enough to go 24 hours without drinking anything and still function properly. You get dehydrated and your performance really sucks. Added with the sleep deprivation, you go from badass to just regular ass.

Razamataz
29th November 08, 06:39 PM

You might be badass enough to be up for 48 hours and still kick ass, especially if you're family's been kidnapped, but nobody is badass enough to go 24 hours without drinking anything and still function properly. You get dehydrated and your performance really sucks. Added with the sleep deprivation, you go from badass to just regular ass.

According to Keifer Sutherland, he does that when at commerials or when it cuts to another subplot.

If you thought the first season was awesome, check out the second season. It's almost exactly the same!

partyboy
29th November 08, 07:10 PM

to be fair, I saw them eat like once... and they had water that one time

to be fair, I saw them eat like once... and they had water that one time

WHY? WHY? something's GOT to be good after the first season. the thing won emmy's... fucking EMMY's

Steve
29th November 08, 07:35 PM
lol, sure fucked up the quote function on that^ post.

MEGALEF
29th November 08, 07:40 PM
You forgot about Jacks family being kidnapped about 10 times.

partyboy
29th November 08, 07:52 PM
lol, sure fucked up the quote function on that^ post.

shit all mighty

watching megan fox's fine ass in 'how to lose friends etc. etc.' and pre-drinking must be screwing with my mind

Phrost
30th November 08, 01:31 PM
We watched the first two seasons of 24 a few years ago and then quit. I think the high point of the show for me was when Jack had to shoot his boss in the head.