PDA

View Full Version : Game Review: C&C Red Alert 3.

Virus
22nd November 08, 05:48 AM
This is my review for the latest RTS from EA, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3.

Short Review: Red Alert 3 is made of suck.

Long Review: As a fan of the previous Red Alert Games, I was looking forward to the release of RA3. I always though that the Red Alert series was the best in the C&C franchise, it had more character than the Tiberium games. I followed the pre-release leadup and the game did appear to OK, I was worried slightly when one of the staff said that the game was going to be more "casual" than most RTS's. Unfortunately, some developers (ehem...Will Wright) seem to have the idea that "casual" means "load of turd."

As I'm t3h h4x, this review is going to be limited to my experience of the single player campaign and a few skirmish matches.

Graphically, this game does not impress. Building textures look dated and undetailed. The water looks ok and I do think the explosions and weapon effects are nice and colorful, but the overall look of the game is like something from 2005. I guess all the money went into filming the cutscenes instead, in which several well-known B-List actors ham it up in cheap costumes to an even cheaper plot.

Sound is nothing special, some ok unit speech and musical scores but nothing that's going to tax your subwoofer.

Gameplay wise, there are major flaws. Virtually all of the units are so fragile they practically fall apart as soon as an enemy looks at them. This means that for most units to be effective they have to be spammed in large numbers. The commando units are grossly overpowered and can level half your base by the time you register the warning that you're under attack. By the same token, getting a commando near your enemy base allows you to pick off buildings from a pretty safe distance.

When you play this game you get the feeling that you've done all of this before. Games like Company of Heroes provide a superb example of where the genre needs to head in the future, and while RA3 does attempt to add some interesting bells and whistles like co-op play and CPU buddies that "help" you in the campaign, but such features are nothing to write home about. Maybe co-op with a human opponent would be a bit more interesting but as far as the computer AI buddy goes, you might as well forget that he's even there.

It's a shame EA wasted the opportunity to continue the legacy that RA2 left behind.

Rating: 4/10.

WarPhalange
22nd November 08, 01:50 PM
EA royally fucked up C&C. C&C Generals was by far the worst RTS I've ever played. RA2 was amazing. What was the new C&C Tiberium game called? I played that and it wasn't too bad, actually. It also had a bunch of B-movie actors in the cut-scenes which is a testament to how popular video games have become.

Virus
23rd November 08, 10:01 AM
Yeah Generals was pretty lame. I guess we'll have to wait for Starcraft 2 and Dawn of War 2 to get a decent RTS fix.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
23rd November 08, 03:35 PM
and while RA3 does attempt to add some interesting bells and whistles like co-op play and CPU buddies that "help" you in the campaign, but such features are nothing to write home about. Maybe co-op with a human opponent would be a bit more interesting but as far as the computer AI buddy goes, you might as well forget that he's even there.

I'm pretty sure AoE 2 had both of these features. In 2001.