PDA

View Full Version : The New Xbox Live Experience + Netflix Is Ridiculously Awesome

Phrost
19th November 08, 08:37 PM
That's the good news.

The bad news is that I'm watching Jesus Camp on my Xbox right now and I found out that the first part of the movie is set in my fucking hometown.

I was originally going to post this thread and make a joke about never needing to leave my house, with the thousands of movies/shows I have access to now. But now I'm not leaving my house except for ammo and food because I've become fully aware of how batshit insane of a place I live in.

Jesus fucking christ.

Steve
19th November 08, 08:45 PM
How much does it cost per month?

Phrost
19th November 08, 08:52 PM
I think it's $15 for Netflix, $12 for Xbox Live. We already had both so this was a great deal. We were actually thinking about getting rid of Netflix but when I found out about this I was stoked.

A lot of the time I'm working from my desk and watching a "Watch Instantly" movie on the other monitor. So now I can literally work from my couch, if I can figure out a way to access my network drives wirelessly.

WarPhalange
19th November 08, 09:26 PM
SSH/Remote Desktop.

jvjim
19th November 08, 09:34 PM
Shit, I might have to buy a Xbox now.

Arhetton
19th November 08, 09:46 PM
haha you live where jesus camp went on?! I've seen that movie. Fucking nuts

I watched it like a freetard though

6RNfL6IVWCE

Steve
19th November 08, 10:43 PM
I think it's $15 for Netflix, $12 for Xbox Live. We already had both so this was a great deal. We were actually thinking about getting rid of Netflix but when I found out about this I was stoked.

A lot of the time I'm working from my desk and watching a "Watch Instantly" movie on the other monitor. So now I can literally work from my couch, if I can figure out a way to access my network drives wirelessly.

Can you buy the Netflix service straight from Xbox Live or do you have to go through Netflix? Separate question, since I'm a retard, have you tried to stream any media on your computer through your Xbox to the TV? Vista has been giving me a lot trouble sorting that out.

partyboy
19th November 08, 11:02 PM
xbox (TM) - the poor man's MCPC

Neildo
20th November 08, 01:25 AM
I don't have netflix, but i paid for a year of xbox live and i think it's only $60. I can stream any media from my laptop, but i've been able to do that for a long time now. Besides, my laptop is already hooked up to my TV, i just need to press a button and i can watch anything on my computer on the TV. s-video cable. don't even need to turn on the box.

I like the new XBL though. it's pretty.

Steve
20th November 08, 02:20 AM
My desk top is to far away for an SV cable, hence my Xbox streaming question. I know it can do it, but now my computer can't recognize my Xbox for some reason. Fucking frustrating.

Phrost
20th November 08, 09:41 AM
Can you buy the Netflix service straight from Xbox Live or do you have to go through Netflix? Separate question, since I'm a retard, have you tried to stream any media on your computer through your Xbox to the TV? Vista has been giving me a lot trouble sorting that out.

You have to go through Netflix' website to sign up. Once you do, and go to configure access on the Xbox (Videos -> Netflix), it'll give you an activation code.

Go to www.netflix.com/activation when you're logged in and put in the code.

Once activated, you go through their website in the Watch Instantly tab and select the movies you want by adding them to your watch now queue. I imagine this is because it'd be a shitload of bandwidth for them to allow access to the full catalog through XBL. Anyway, it's pretty easy. My queue right now is:

Jesus Camp
Red Dawn ([email protected]!!!!)
Grindhouse
Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter
Heroes Season 1.

The TV seasons are the best part. You drill down from the season icon in your queue, to the individual shows. It keeps track of what you've watched, and how far into it you watched it. (Which they're probably selling to market research companies, no doubt).

Another feature I discovered was that if you watch part of a movie on your PC and then add it to your Xbox queue and watch it on your TV, it'll start right up where you left off on the computer. Weird.

Mr. Mantis
20th November 08, 11:24 AM
I recently canceled Netflix. We'd get the movies and they'd just sit there, not being watched.

My X-box is broke. It must have gotten jostled. Not sure if I am just going to throw it away or what.

Steve
20th November 08, 09:56 PM
I imagine that you are still eligible for the 3 year warranty. You should give em a call about it.

Steve
20th November 08, 10:08 PM
You have to go through Netflix' website to sign up. Once you do, and go to configure access on the Xbox (Videos -> Netflix), it'll give you an activation code.

Go to www.netflix.com/activate when you're logged in and put in the code.

Once activated, you go through their website in the Watch Instantly tab and select the movies you want by adding them to your watch now queue. I imagine this is because it'd be a shitload of bandwidth for them to allow access to the full catalog through XBL. Anyway, it's pretty easy. My queue right now is:

Jesus Camp
Red Dawn ([email protected]!!!!)
Grindhouse
Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter
Heroes Season 1.

The TV seasons are the best part. You drill down from the season icon in your queue, to the individual shows. It keeps track of what you've watched, and how far into it you watched it. (Which they're probably selling to market research companies, no doubt).

Another feature I discovered was that if you watch part of a movie on your PC and then add it to your Xbox queue and watch it on your TV, it'll start right up where you left off on the computer. Weird.

Sweet! Set it up, no problem! Finally get to see Tropic Thunder, w00t!!

Phrost
20th November 08, 10:11 PM
Nice. I'm watching the first season of Voltron.

Man, either it's gotten really bad over the years, or I... ok, it never was good.

Steve
20th November 08, 10:29 PM
Ah, dang. Tropic Thunder isn't available for instant cue just yet, bummer.

EDIT: So instead I'm watching Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex, just on my tv, not on my computer!

Quikfeet509
23rd November 08, 10:27 PM
I just signed up for this service and while there is an amazing amount of shows from my prepubescent years that I now have queued, there is a definite lack of new releases available for steaming.

But hey, $50 a year of Xbox Live Gold and $8 a month for Netflix is hard to beat. I'm actually getting rid of my Uverse next month so this is a great replacement.

partyboy
23rd November 08, 10:37 PM
the only thing that pisses me off about netflix is the more you rent movies, the lower your priority becomes for receiving new releases.

so say if I queue up 'The Dark Knight' before its actual release date and my friend who's also on netflix queues it up too, because I return all my movies within 1-2 days after I receive them and he keeps them for at least 3 days, I'll have the movie as listed as 'very long wait' for up to a week after the time that he gets it. Now understand that I'm in the same area as my friend, and I've been a netflix member longer than he has.

So you would assume that I would have higher priority but in the end, they screw you over if you return the movies faster than others.

BS in my opinion

Phrost
24th November 08, 06:12 PM
Fuck their DVD service. We haven't used that in a year. Streaming is where it's at.

partyboy
24th November 08, 10:14 PM
Fuck their DVD service. We haven't used that in a year. Streaming is where it's at.

....you can't save streams onto a blank dvd as easily

that's all I will say.

Mr. Mantis
25th November 08, 03:12 PM
I imagine that you are still eligible for the 3 year warranty. You should give em a call about it.
Nope.
I modified the box.

Kiko
25th November 08, 03:14 PM
Nope.
I modified the box.

So you can order Coal Pizza with a game controller?

Steve
23rd December 08, 12:33 PM
I am promoting Amazon for no reason in particular.

Oh, of course not.

EuropIan
23rd December 08, 12:42 PM
And I would never, ever benefit from a rise in their stock price.

I rented Mr. and Mrs. Smith from Amazon last night I am on a fairly slow connection on a wireless computer and it still looked great.
There sure were alot of brakes though.