PDA

View Full Version : Crap wine!

Kiko
14th November 08, 05:21 PM
Don't give a sh*t? Maybe this wine is for you (http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/10/29/f-rfa-common.html)

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2008/10/29/common-winelabel.jpg

Even the polite translation is a bit rough: Crap Wine. So why would a small restaurant owner label his bottles Vin de Merde?..... read on.

Interesting. I've tried a couple others that are mentioned later in the article. Fat Bastard and Goats Do Roam (I also like Smoking Loon).

Anyone seen it?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
14th November 08, 11:43 PM
Cheap alcohol is underrated.

bob
14th November 08, 11:56 PM
I would have thought the translation was closer to "Shit Wine".

HappyOldGuy
15th November 08, 12:18 AM
Lots of california zins have gone for the snarky/punny/reverse snob appeal route.

Mixed results, but some good names.

Kein Haar
15th November 08, 02:06 AM
I had the good idea of making a laxative called: Fees-ease. Or Fees-eaze.

Zs make things more snappy and cutting edge.

HappyOldGuy
16th November 08, 09:38 PM
There is nothing wrong with desert wines. I love them. i'm going to have a glass of port tonight. But it is too easy to get trapped drinking the hummingbird food vintages and not developing a real palette. You need to get to develop your taste for non dessert wines first, and then you can come back to the desert wines later.

Your path forward to wisdom
Desert Muscat=>Late Harvest=>Sauternes=>Vin Santo=>Port=>Real wine

Stick
17th November 08, 12:48 AM
http://i34.tinypic.com/28w09j8.jpg

Terrible wine, awesome bottle.

Once I actually manage to down this swill I will use the bottle to contain something awesome.

Steve
17th November 08, 12:57 AM
ah, Carlo.... Memories.....

Kiko
17th November 08, 04:38 PM
http://i34.tinypic.com/28w09j8.jpg

Terrible wine, awesome bottle.

Once I actually manage to down this swill I will use the bottle to contain something awesome.

Don't torture yourself. Cook with it!

EuropIan
17th November 08, 05:37 PM
Kiko has sautéed the correct

Kiko
17th November 08, 05:43 PM
OR... he could doctor it with fresh fruit and it might taste better. Oranges, apples and ah, hell.. look here!
http://www.spain-recipes.com/sangriarecipe.html

EuropIan
17th November 08, 05:45 PM
Sangria is overrated and it's too cold now anyways.

GOGOGO RED WINE SAUCE

Stick
18th November 08, 03:02 AM
Huh, yeah, I have no idea why it didn't occur to me to cook with it.

Maybe cause I am dumb.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Equipoise
18th November 08, 06:57 AM
Sangria is overrated and it's too cold now anyways.

GOGOGO RED WINE SAUCE

Maybe for you =-).

Moscato grapes.... gross. NoB, you're drinking the Zima of the wine world.

Also, the translation would be "Shit Wine." For the word crap, the word cabbage is most often used. Still, that's just a bad marketing idea.

Kiko
18th November 08, 11:05 AM
I went with the article title. I know merde=shit.

Damn, why is it only 11 am? Now I want wine!
Later.. later..

HappyOldGuy
18th November 08, 02:06 PM
I can be a car snob, a clothing snob, a geographical snob, etc. but wine snobs make no sense. If it tastes good, you drink it. You don't force yourself just to consume something just because some critic says it is wonderful. I can't control my tastebuds.
I be stylin in my AMC gremlin.
Plus, I make this plaid sportcoat look good.
Iowa is the hippest place on earth.
I drink muscat.

EuropIan
18th November 08, 02:28 PM
I can be a car snob, a clothing snob, a geographical snob, etc. but wine snobs make no sense. If it tastes good, you drink it. You don't force yourself to consume something just because some critic says it is wonderful. I can't control my tastebuds.
Isn't that true for all cultural critique?

HappyOldGuy
18th November 08, 02:43 PM
No. Some areas are more subjective than objective and vice versa. Some have an over-inflated sense of worth and some are not given their proper dues.

You are saying that taste in fashion is more objective than taste in wine?

Kiko
18th November 08, 03:28 PM
But your taste buds mature over time. Children like sweets and gradually we learn to appreciate more complex flavors. That doesn't mean we give up candy, just that we can balance it with a fine Cabernet Sauvignon.

Steve
18th November 08, 03:38 PM
But your taste buds mature over time. Children like sweets and gradually we learn to appreciate more complex flavors. That doesn't mean we give up candy, just that we can balance it with a fine Cabernet Sauvignon.

Or PBR. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Kiko
18th November 08, 03:45 PM
And they have, I am 33 and enjoy a much wider variety of foods than I ever have before. However, tastebuds also degrade. This is why you see so many geezers happy to eat at old country buffet, where the food is terrible.

Or just cheap. Or they smoke. My father has smoked menthols for years and he can't taste stuff. *sigh*

You should drink what you like. I like funny labels and names when I'm looking for new things.

HappyOldGuy
18th November 08, 03:55 PM
No, I am saying that the average person is fairly objective in taste in wine, they like what they like and maybe haven't tried things that they will like more, but it will still come down to tastebuds, more education on the matter will help them much less as far as 'improving' taste than more education in fashion will.
No.

Good wine has complexity in flavor, balance, and layers. These are objective factors, in the sense that they can be recognized by people independently, but they are not appreciated by anyone who's tastes end at flavored white zin.

Kiko
18th November 08, 03:57 PM
Eeeeew!

http://www.viscountwines.com/images/arbor%20mist.jpg

HappyOldGuy
18th November 08, 04:16 PM
Adults tastes are largely developed in childhood.

Childrens tastes are largely developed as an attempt to assert autonomy against their parents.

IOW, your taste in wine sucks because you were a whiny little brat.

HappyOldGuy
18th November 08, 04:48 PM
account for nil due to genetics.

The genetic predisposition to avoid bitter foods is long past dead in a 30 year old man if he ever had it. So unless we are talking about some sort of geneticly driven neophobia...

Kiko
18th November 08, 04:54 PM
Or someone shoved some brilliant vintage at you and it was too full of tannins or something.

HappyOldGuy
18th November 08, 06:15 PM
Again, I love desert wines. Because of my diabetes, it's the only kind of desert I get at nice restaurants. I don't know if I've had that particular one, although the label looks familiar, but I drink plenty of muscat.

But if you don't try to expand your boundaries and develop your palette, all you are going to get out of the experience is "ooh, sweet syrup" when there is so much more going on even in the sweet syrupy ones.

Equipoise
19th November 08, 06:51 AM
I already said I will try anything. Recommend something.

However, there is nothing wrong with drinking the Israeli wine again, it was delicious. And it was introduced to me by three foodies who can't spend less than $60 on a roast / steaks / cut of meat for a meal because to them, there is a huge discernable difference between something from an expensive butcher and something from Safeway.

I should mention they are not Americans, but from Russia and Bulgaria. Perhaps their concept of a good wine is different than ours. I will also admit I seem to have effiminate tastes when it comes to alcohol. That doesn't mean I won't like fine wine, but it would probably be a fine wine that a lady would prefer.

Two regions which are not known for their culinary ventures....