PDA

View Full Version : Only in my dreams...

Steve
11th November 08, 03:18 AM
So, can you still buy alcohol through vending machines in Japan? I know you can't buy panties anymore...

wPdeX_kA0dY

I ask because a buddy of mine is there now but he didn't tell me if he was able to buy beer from a machine and then drink it in front of a police station (he said he would do it).

Equipoise
11th November 08, 08:59 AM
What are you, twelve?

Ajamil
11th November 08, 09:38 AM
They have 3 litre cans of beer? Why don't we have that in the US??

EuropIan
11th November 08, 09:53 AM
I ask because a buddy of mine is there now but he didn't tell me if he was able to buy beer from a machine and then drink it in front of a police station (he said he would do it).

I find the public drinking laws in the US rather silly.

Equipoise
11th November 08, 10:20 AM
I don't.

Since Europe is less repressed than the Puritanical U.S., our populace tends to go nuts when they get their hands on a little bit of alcohol. Therefore drinking in public leads to fights, batteries, homicides, criminal mischief, etc. I cite and lock up those who engage in public drinking without a second thought.

Steve
11th November 08, 12:01 PM
I don't.

Since Europe is less repressed than the Puritanical U.S., our populace tends to go nuts when they get their hands on a little bit of alcohol. Therefore drinking in public leads to fights, batteries, homicides, criminal mischief, etc. I cite and lock up those who engage in public drinking without a second thought.

Dude. you're pretty fucked in the head if you blame the laws you uphold for why the crimes are commited.

Lighten up a bit. You might actually make some friends.

Equipoise
11th November 08, 01:15 PM
Dude. you're pretty fucked in the head if you blame the laws you uphold for why the crimes are commited.

Lighten up a bit. You might actually make some friends.

Negative. I'm stating that the poor social interactions and societal norms of many Americans is the reason why these laws are needed which I'm more than happy to enforce.

SFGOON
11th November 08, 01:29 PM
Basically, in the context of our society's value system, only assholes and cretins drink in public. Ergo, in the klink with you!

Steve
11th November 08, 01:59 PM
The point isn't about drinking in public, it's about drinking in front of a police station. Just because it is not at all the norm stateside.

WarPhalange
11th November 08, 02:29 PM
Americans freak out with liquor and drugs because they aren't used to it. Clearly the solution is to repress them more from it. It clearly works with sex, so why not?

Equipoise
11th November 08, 03:25 PM
The point isn't about drinking in public, it's about drinking in front of a police station. Just because it is not at all the norm stateside.

So the police station isn't public?

Americans freak out with liquor and drugs because they aren't used to it. Clearly the solution is to repress them more from it. It clearly works with sex, so why not?

I prefer the European view in regards to sex and alcohol, however America's too far into the conservative backwater to handle any immediate change without going berserk, so the laws that are in effect in regards to public intoxication and drinking are beneficial until we can enact a societal reform to where people won't use alcohol as an excuse to commit crime.

Truculent Sheep
11th November 08, 08:04 PM
Negative. I'm stating that the poor social interactions and societal norms of many Americans is the reason why these laws are needed which I'm more than happy to enforce.

But in doing so, you are perpetuating the very same infantalisation that leads these people to act like idiots.

Equipoise
12th November 08, 06:36 AM
Laws don't lead to infantalization; poor social practices do.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
12th November 08, 06:47 AM
but you don't arrest potheads right?

Neildo
12th November 08, 06:52 AM
oh, he so would. probably without a second thought or pang of guilt.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
12th November 08, 06:54 AM
what a cock jockey

EuropIan
12th November 08, 10:08 AM
But laws can dictate social practices, no?

Feryk
12th November 08, 11:11 AM
Hate to say it, but Equipoise is right on this one.

WarPhalange
12th November 08, 11:54 AM
But laws can dictate social practices, no?

Of course not. Blacks didn't use White-Only bathrooms because they didn't want to, not because it was against the law. What a stupid idea.

Steve
12th November 08, 03:39 PM
So the police station isn't public?

Of course it is. My point is that I could drink in public any time I wanted, I've done it before, I'll do it again. Hell, people drink at outside tables in restaurants all the time. Drinking in front of a police station is just more taboo, risky, one might say. And btw, I didn't say "get shit faced" I said "drink a beer outside of a police station."

The whole argument is moot, anyway. It regards Japan (I have no idea why you would bring up Europe), and you are not a police officer in Japan. So my final point is this: piss off, I didn't ask for your judgment of the situation and I couldn't care less about it.

EuropIan
12th November 08, 04:09 PM
You can drink in public in Japan.

However, the police might hassle your friend if a crime is comitted nearby.

Because Japanese never comit crimes, only foreigners.

Steve
12th November 08, 04:18 PM
Boy howdy. The friend I'm talking about found a dead body when he was out with some of his students.

The police took him in for questioning, twice. He got pretty shook up about the situation (obviously). It was pretty hard core.

EuropIan
12th November 08, 04:48 PM
For the most part, from what I've been told, if your friend acts like an ass in public people will do their best to intentionally ignore you.

Equipoise
12th November 08, 08:33 PM
I've heard rumors that Japanese police take very little crap before resorting to force. How true is this?

Steve
12th November 08, 08:44 PM
I'd say that is a fair assumption. They basically kidnapped my friend the second time they took him in. Scary stuff.

Equipoise
12th November 08, 10:01 PM
Ehh.. well he did "stumble across" a dead body. Even here that'd be odd and would warrant homicide grilling them a bit.

Kiko
13th November 08, 11:53 AM
Next time, he'll just walk away.

Truculent Sheep
13th November 08, 01:31 PM

Laws tend to either reinforce or create social practices, however.

Equipoise
13th November 08, 09:31 PM
You're bent on turning this into a chicken/egg argument, aren't you?

So you're stating that following laws is a social practice and once a person has the ability to avoid following them, they do so to an extreme? What kind of crap psychological book did you get this from?

Social Practices via religious and social fundamentalism create a negative social stigma that cause kids and young adults to flip out once they get their first bit of freedom. Laws are in place to prevent them from taking their new found freedoms to the point of infringing upon the rights of others or putting self/others in danger.

Robot Jesus
15th November 08, 04:53 PM
but laws are part of the social hierarchy, or as my mom would say "it's wrong because its illegal." social codes tend to all run together and get muddled.

I've heard japan has a policy of suppressing evidence in appeals because it's considered healthier for society that judgments are reinforced rather than questioned, and since i can't find an article it probably just tinfoil-hatery.

Equipoise
15th November 08, 05:11 PM
Being illegal doesn't mean its morally wrong. Smoking pot for example has nothing to do with morals, it's just illegal.

Kiko
16th November 08, 07:31 AM
This is the NOM NOM NOM section. How can food/drink be moral or ethical?

WarPhalange
16th November 08, 02:15 PM
You say that now, but the second I start gnawing on your first-born you call the police.

Double-standards much?

EuropIan
16th November 08, 02:38 PM
Being illegal doesn't mean its morally wrong. Smoking pot for example has nothing to do with morals, it's just illegal.
Yes, but some peopel confuse legality and morality.

jubei33
16th November 08, 04:46 PM
sans law arguments...

yeah you sure can buy beer from vending machines and drink it in front of the police box and I've never been hassled once on the subject. School girl pants is so 1990's, duh.

It's not a spectacular issue here, drinking in public. They have festivals all the time and beer goes hand in hand. As for the cops, they will question you only if you look like you might cause them more trouble pulling your drowned, drunk ass from the river. Most just want to make sure you get to a cab or home safe. On the off chance you do get one who wants to harass you, theres probably more to the story than I'm a foreigner.

They have 3 litre cans of beer? Why don't we have that in the US??
we do, they're called minikegs and they're biggier.

Kiko
16th November 08, 05:38 PM
You say that now, but the second I start gnawing on your first-born you call the police.

Double-standards much?

Gnawing? She's not old enough, so we'd put you in jail!!
;ppppppp