PDA

View Full Version : RoboCop remake? Murphy, say it ain't so!!

Steve
7th November 08, 02:43 PM
Well, actually this could be kinda cool... Maybe.

Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake
Exclusive: Director talks reinvention

Empire spoke to the great Darren Aronofsky the other day, when he came to town to show off The Wrestler at the LFF. Naturally, we tried to wrestle some info out of him on his forthcoming remake of RoboCop, for MGM.

“It's a real reinvention,” he told us, responding to those rumours that the movie would somehow follow on or be a direct sequel to Paul Verhoeven's 1987 original. “Me and David Self are working on the screenplay. He's a great, great writer and we're trying to do something new and fresh. We'll see what happens when the screenplay comes.”

He wouldn't be drawn, though, on which elements would be carried over from the cyberpunk classic, or if room would be made for the original Murphy – Peter Weller – to make a cameo.

“There'll be...” he started to say, before Prime Directive 4 (“classified”) kicked in and moved him onto safer, vaguer ground. “I'm a big fan of the original. It still holds up as an amazing film, and I think it's more just looking at that same type of material in the 21st century and seeing where it leads us.”

There are few remakes that excite Empire, but this is one of them. Aronofsky is a true visionary, and it's going to be fascinating to see what he can do with this material. We're guessing less splatter, more angst, but either way, it should be gold.

-----------------------------------

Link. (http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23542)

Again, heavy on the maybe. I really can't imagine RoboCop any other way then the original.

Also, interesting that the writer/director of Pi (a pretty awesome film if you haven't seen it) will be taking on RoboCop. It really could go in some strange directions...

Kiko
7th November 08, 02:46 PM
http://www.thefader.com/ys_assets/0001/7974/buyfordollar_main.jpg

I'll buy that for a dollar!!

EuropIan
7th November 08, 02:47 PM
So when are they going to kick out all the necromancers in Hollywood?

MSphinx
7th November 08, 03:25 PM
Anyone who says this film is going to be "darker" must be burned alive.

Ajamil
7th November 08, 03:34 PM
Other than visually, I don't see how it could be. The first one is really quite twisted for an 80s film.

I'm interested. I can see four ways this goes: really good or bad tribute or really good or bad completely new plot. Well, I suppose that's obvious, but in both cases there's a bit of making money off name recognition that just all-around sucks.

Zendetta
7th November 08, 03:59 PM
"Dick... YOU'RE FIRED!!!"

RickTheCritic
7th November 08, 05:58 PM
So when are they going to kick out all the necromancers in Hollywood?

The only reboot I want to see is PREDATOR!

http://www.stodderen.com/webpagepics/predator.jpg

Shawarma
7th November 08, 06:02 PM
The eighties are over. You can't make good, hard dystopian movies like Robocop anymore. They might try, but they'll just put in more gore and lose the brilliant mood of the first Robocop movie.

How the hell DO you make Robocop darker anyway? You'd need like an underage rape coupled with abortion during a satanic ritual every five minutes to do that.

Arhetton
7th November 08, 06:02 PM
is that predator... jacking off?

RickTheCritic
7th November 08, 06:08 PM

How Do Rep????

RickTheCritic
7th November 08, 06:24 PM
The eighties are over. You can't make good, hard dystopian movies like Robocop anymore. They might try, but they'll just put in more gore and lose the brilliant mood of the first Robocop movie.

How the hell DO you make Robocop darker anyway? You'd need like an underage rape coupled with abortion during a satanic ritual every five minutes to do that.

It's funny every studio has a 10 inch binder that they go through to find out what movies they can remake. From a business stand point it makes sense, the hardest thing to do is make an intial sale. Why sink your money in an unproven concept when you can bank one something with a proven audience. That said somethings should not be remade, I believe this is one of them.

mrblackmagic
7th November 08, 08:03 PM
Darren Aronofsky maybe one of my favorite directors currently alive and making movies. However, this will have the same problems as the remake of the Manchurian Candidate. The original was already perfect and it was also product of the times.

And Kutrwood Smith saying,"bitches, leave," was the best line in the movie.

Doritosaurus Chex
8th November 08, 01:17 AM
Kurtwood had a lot of awesome lines.

"Can you fly, Bobby?"

Neildo
8th November 08, 05:16 AM
no. no. NO. NOOOOOO. NOOOOOO GOOOOOD WHYYYYYYYYYY

Cullion
8th November 08, 08:37 AM
However, this will have the same problems as the remake of the Manchurian Candidate. The original was already perfect and it was also product of the times.

To be honest the Manchurian candidate is one of the few examples of a great film where I enjoyed the remake just as much.

Maybe it's because I'm old enough to remember seeing the original robocop in my early teens, but it just seems to early to remake it. There are lots of great older movies that would be better remake candidates IMHO. Lots of great classic sci-fi stories that have never been made into movies too.

Quikfeet509
8th November 08, 11:43 AM
I always though Aliens could use a remake. Make the marines more bad ass and still have them get raped.

But don't let the AVP2 people touch it. Please.

Cullion
8th November 08, 11:58 AM
I'd like to see Quentin Tarantino lay off the weed for a few months and remake fist full of dollars.

danno
8th November 08, 05:59 PM
darren aronofsky is one of my favourite directors. i love the original movie, but i have faith in darren.

darren - don't let me down!

Aphid Jones
8th November 08, 09:54 PM
It will look just like Iron Man. In fact, they're probably trying to play off of the success of the recent Iron Man.

RickTheCritic
8th November 08, 10:03 PM
I'd like to see Quentin Tarantino lay off the weed for a few months and remake fist full of dollars.

Rly? I would have rather have a Shogun Assassin remake (if Tarantino directed it)and of course

Predator!
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/0/05/300px-Predator_1.jpg

mrblackmagic
9th November 08, 06:15 PM
Tarantino is not going to direct anything he didn't copy/paste himself. Besides, Sukiyaki Western pretty much counts as man-with-no-name reboot.

RickTheCritic
10th November 08, 11:55 AM
Sukiyaki Western

Yuck, I couldnt get throught that movie, Im sorry but I dont want my westerns to be campy but ya I didnt finish it so maybe It got better. To me westerns should be about manly men doing manly things while acting manly.

KJMxGFco57Y

and

sqZF8XD9Pk4

just a few examples

mrblackmagic
10th November 08, 12:12 PM
Yuck, I couldnt get throught that movie, Im sorry but I dont want my westerns to be campy but ya I didnt finish it so maybe It got better. To me westerns should be about manly men doing manly things while acting manly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJMxGFco57Y

Like shooting unarmed women?

RickTheCritic
10th November 08, 02:08 PM
Not the most manly thing, The Wild Bunch was way ahead of the curve violence-wise. 2 women got killed 1 was armed and the other was used as a human shield. If it really disturbs you Ill change it to this.....

woahas_W35A

For some reason when I embed I get this

woahas_W35A (http://v=woahas_W35A)

Steve
10th November 08, 02:41 PM
Read the stickies if you want to learn how to embed like the pros.

RickTheCritic
10th November 08, 05:49 PM
I did everything that im supposed to do unless im getting the tags wrong

mrblackmagic
12th November 08, 08:35 AM
Not the most manly thing, The Wild Bunch was way ahead of the curve violence-wise. 2 women got killed 1 was armed and the other was used as a human shield. If it really disturbs you Ill change it to this.....

woahas_W35A

For some reason when I embed I get this

woahas_W35A (http://v=woahas_W35A)

So you switch from that to the second most racist but unintentionally funny movie of all times?

RickTheCritic
12th November 08, 05:00 PM
So you switch from that to the second most racist but unintentionally funny movie of all times?

The movie isnt racist John Wayne is, the movie is about his transformation from Racist to Moderate.

Whats the first?

Sun Wukong
13th November 08, 02:22 AM

that dude needs to see his urologist... srsly.

http://www.stodderen.com/webpagepics/predator.jpg

Steve
13th November 08, 02:32 AM
He gave himself head!! lolz, i make de funni!

mrblackmagic
13th November 08, 08:33 AM
The movie isnt racist John Wayne is, the movie is about his transformation from Racist to Moderate.

Whats the first?

Birth of a Nation.