PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Round Steak Ideas?

jkdbuck76
3rd November 08, 12:56 PM
OK. So my wife is jobless. We no longer have two incomes.... so we are hurting for money and can't live as nice as we once did.

We eat meat. Steak is yummy, but as of late here in the USA, it is so fucking expensive!

Enter: Bottom Round Steaks!

It is a tougher cut of meat, but you can get it for about $2.00 to $4.00 per pound in USD.

So I get a pack of 'em, beat the piss out of 'em with the tenderizer. I stick them in a ziplock bag. I pour in a can of 7-up (acidity, lemon, lime...has natural flavors), throw in some soy sauce, some garlic powder, some EVOO. Let it marinade for 4 days in the fridge. Then I cook for 45 minutes on indirect heat.

Not too bad.

Anybody have any recipes to help this not-so-rich guy feed himself, his wife and his son?

Kein Haar
3rd November 08, 02:50 PM
Since there are no pictures, I might as well be the first to add that the Bengals are hilariously terrible....as always.

jkdbuck76
3rd November 08, 03:00 PM
yes. the bengals blow goats.

Kein Haar
3rd November 08, 03:05 PM
Here's Devin Hester:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rQnZQVFLaw&feature=related

Feryk
3rd November 08, 03:07 PM
If you are marinating, try vinegar and brown sugar, instead of, ugh, 7-Up. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little just there. Add spices to taste. I'm a fan of Montreal Steak Spice - not sure if that's just a Canadian thing or not.

Instead of pounding with a tenderizer, let the vinegar do the work for you. 4 days in the fridge is a long time. Try 2 days.

Instead of indirect heat, use direct heat, but not a long time. For 1" thick, 6 minutes/side should be enough. If the vinegar has done its job, the steak should be tender, and you won't be killing it all over again. I've done this before, and my family likes it.

Kiko
3rd November 08, 04:40 PM
Try some mojo criollo for marinade. It's good on beef or chicken.

Neildo
3rd November 08, 04:50 PM
marinate in soy sauce, rice vinegar, and garlic (i can get soy sauce and rice vinegar for less than $ 2/bottle) overnight. grill or broil and serve with rice (i've been eating brown basmati lately, way better for you than white but not much different texturally) and your choice of vegetables. i like asparagus or green beans. peas and corn maybe. kai lan (chinese broccoli, more bitter green but really good for you) sauteed in garlic if you can find it.

jkdbuck76
3rd November 08, 04:52 PM
Sorry I didn't splain this earlier: my wife has food allergies and intolerances.
I can't just grab any marinade off the shelf.

7-up as an acidic marinade....don't know it til you try it. Just be careful when cooking so you don't torch the sugar.

Feryk, what kind of vinegar? Apple cider? White?

Feryk
3rd November 08, 04:55 PM
I would start with white because that's kind of the standard for the North American pallette. If you are more adventurous, you could use Malt Vinegar, or Red Wine Vinegar, but that can be expensive.

Kiko
3rd November 08, 05:09 PM
What's she allergic to? I've had to cook for garlic and rosemary allergies. Both of 'em would go into anaphalactic shock if I didn't avoid the offending spice.

Do some googling at foodchannel or cooks.com for the basics and you can pretty much alter recipes once you get the technique.

jkdbuck76
3rd November 08, 05:13 PM
She is allergic to Planet Earth. Basically, she has numerous food and environmental allergies.
With food, it is anything that has preservatives. So she eats organic food. It is a little more spensive than regular food. That is why I eat the joe-neric food. She's not reacted to organic garlic powder nor organic onion powder.

Kiko
3rd November 08, 05:16 PM
What about fresh onions or garlic? Not sure how bad her reactions are, but if you keep some benadryl around she might have a taste of something, right?

Feryk
3rd November 08, 05:57 PM
Epi pen.

Tanhalen21
3rd November 08, 06:07 PM
Just feed her whatever and then stab her with Epi Pen. I'm sure that won't fuck with her heart at all

Robot Jesus
3rd November 08, 06:16 PM
learn to shoplift, it's a cheep and easy way to lower your grocery bills.

Kiko
3rd November 08, 07:51 PM
RJ, are you allergic to anything?

Robot Jesus
4th November 08, 12:01 AM
no

but serious answer to question. cheap beef is made for Braising.
sear meat on stove, deglasse pan. just about any liquid will do, but beef broth or wine works best.

put both steak and liquid in roasting pan; add whatever additional flavors you want, onion, garlic, honey, and worcester is a pretty good combo.
cook in a F 200 oven covered for a few hours.

tasty and tender.

also flank and skirt steaks are cheap and tasty, they just need to be cut lengthwise to sever some tough tissue.

jkdbuck76
4th November 08, 11:36 AM
RJ,

Do I cover the meat in the liquid completely?
Also, do I put a cover on the roasting pan?

Can't wait to try this!

Kiko
4th November 08, 11:38 AM
Don't listen to RJ, I was gonna make something fatal and send it to him. ;P

Crock pot is the way to go.

jkdbuck76
4th November 08, 12:16 PM
what would you put in said crock pot?

Kiko
4th November 08, 12:19 PM
er.. A whole chicken. Brisket. Chuck roast. Short ribs.

If a cut of meat is on the pricey side, you can always extend the meal with rice/pasta or barley with all that broth or gravy.

Don't forget to put in the veggies. Carrots, celery, onions.

jkdbuck76
4th November 08, 12:32 PM
Do you put any broth, soup, water, wine, liquid?

Thanks, everybody!

Kiko
4th November 08, 12:37 PM
If you brown the meat first, sear it on all sides, then put in the crock pot with veggies, garlic and herbs, add water or liquid, I suppose organic stock might work well for you, then you'll get some good broth by the end. You can add a slurry if you want more of a stew, mix cornstarch or flour with some cold water and stir it in. Or add barley or rice at the start.

jkdbuck76
4th November 08, 12:48 PM
Ok.

I guess I'll try some of this and then post some pics.

Kiko
4th November 08, 12:51 PM
http://www.foodnetwork.com/

http://www.mealsforyou.com/

http://www.whatscookingamerica.net/RecipeIndex.htm

A couple of basic sites where you can find some ideas. Google with your prime ingredient and method and you'll find some cool things.

Robot Jesus
4th November 08, 02:58 PM
RJ,

Do I cover the meat in the liquid completely?
Also, do I put a cover on the roasting pan?

Can't wait to try this!
not completely, and yes cover.

although a crock pot would also work i guess, i just don't own one.

jkdbuck76
12th November 08, 01:36 PM
UPDATE:

I browned them on both sides and put them in a covered pan with a little beef broth. For two hours. It was pretty good. The wife liked it. 17-month old Jkdbuck76 Jr didn't like it. But then again, he eats munchkin food.

Kiko
12th November 08, 04:35 PM
I remember putting stroganoff in the food processor so my little one would eat it. It's one of her favorite dishes now - unmashed.

Zendetta
12th November 08, 04:42 PM
I'm gonna slo-cook some brisket/ corned beef with cabbage tomorrow. Any tips on good stuff to brine it in?