PDA

View Full Version : How do Pierogis?

Kiko
2nd November 08, 02:15 PM
They're not difficult, but if you don't want the hassle of basically making homemade ravioli, try this. I just built one after having too much lasagna noodles from making the Italian version.

Lazy Pierogi Lasagna

Cooked lasagna noodles
Mashed potatoes
(make them from scratch or use instant ones)
Chopped or minced dried onions
(if fresh, sauté in a bit of butter before adding to potatoes)
Parsley, Dill, White Pepper
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Olive oil

Drizzle olive oil in bottom of glass baking pan.

One layer of noodles
Mix potatoes with onions/butter and spices. Layer over noodles and spread evenly.
Sprinkle with a layer of cheese.

Repeat layers until you fill the pan, ending with noodles and a bit of cheese on top.

Cover with foil and bake at 300 degrees for about ˝ hour, removing foil for the last few minutes.

Serve each portion with a bit of sour cream if you like.

Kiko
2nd November 08, 02:24 PM
Go find a Russian. They look like Commie Calzones to me!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirozhki

Kiko
2nd November 08, 02:30 PM
Google 'em. I noticed some places in Seattle when I did.

Tanhalen21
2nd November 08, 02:54 PM
HOW DO DESSERT PIEROGI

Kiko
2nd November 08, 03:40 PM
You make 'em the old fashioned way and fill 'em with fruit or sweet cream cheese sorta stuff.

Or you get blintzes.

Steve
3rd November 08, 12:22 AM
They're not difficult, but if you don't want the hassle of basically making homemade ravioli, try this. I just built one after having too much lasagna noodles from making the Italian version.

Lazy Pierogi Lasagna

Cooked lasagna noodles
Mashed potatoes
(make them from scratch or use instant ones)
Chopped or minced dried onions
(if fresh, sauté in a bit of butter before adding to potatoes)
Parsley, Dill, White Pepper
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Olive oil

Drizzle olive oil in bottom of glass baking pan.

One layer of noodles
Mix potatoes with onions/butter and spices. Layer over noodles and spread evenly.
Sprinkle with a layer of cheese.

Repeat layers until you fill the pan, ending with noodles and a bit of cheese on top.

Cover with foil and bake at 300 degrees for about ˝ hour, removing foil for the last few minutes.

Serve each portion with a bit of sour cream if you like.

Holy fuck, this is the greatest recipe ever. Well, in the category of lasagna that isn't Italian at least!

Tanhalen21
3rd November 08, 12:24 AM
KIKO HOW DO HOLISHKES

Steve
3rd November 08, 03:20 AM
What. The. Fuck.

And I thought you were getting laid.

Tanhalen21
3rd November 08, 03:45 AM
What. The. Fuck.

And I thought you were getting laid.

Apparently only by pasta

Kiko
3rd November 08, 04:34 PM
Get outta my thread, NoB!

Tanhalen, you mean golabki? Learn to use lowercase and maybe I'll look up a recipe. The most important thing is to count HOW many of 'em you end up making from a whole head of cabbage.

Tanhalen21
3rd November 08, 04:54 PM
Tanhalen, you mean golabki? Sorry, I can't conceal my Ashkenaz Jewery. Yes, golabki is gut.

Learn to use lowercase and maybe I'll look up a recipe. The most important thing is to count HOW many of 'em you end up making from a whole head of cabbage.
Yes'm.

Kiko
3rd November 08, 05:11 PM
It's all good. I just wanted to make sure it was the same dish.

Actually there's a site.. http://www.coalregion.com/recipes.htm

The other parts about how folks talk in the Coal Region are pretty funny, too.

Tanhalen21
3rd November 08, 05:37 PM
Kiko, I'm playing in New York City on December 9th. Why don't you come to the show and if you WANT you can bring lots of home-cooked Pole-food for me to eat.

Kiko
3rd November 08, 07:55 PM
Can I throw it up on stage?

Tanhalen21
3rd November 08, 07:56 PM
Yes and I will greedily and violently shove it into my mouth mid-song

Mr. Mantis
4th November 08, 02:29 PM
It's all good. I just wanted to make sure it was the same dish.

Actually there's a site.. http://www.coalregion.com/recipes.htm

The other parts about how folks talk in the Coal Region are pretty funny, too.
As a Coal Region native (Luzerne County): JESUS H. CHRIST! I fuckin' LOVE dat web site. dems some good recipes, hanna?

Kiko
4th November 08, 02:34 PM
<===Born in Wilkes Barre. Visited for many holidays until we got Grammy to move to NY with us.

Ack! the site is broke! Obama musta nuked it!

Mr. Mantis
5th November 08, 02:10 PM
Me too! (I think, it was either General or Nesbitt, I was too young to remember)
I went to WVW. I still visit on the holidays. I get Pizza Perfect these days (Victory Pig apparently has gone to shit). There's no way this lasagna recipe can stack up to those old church lady bazaar pierogi's, can it?

Kiko
5th November 08, 02:14 PM
Wow. General for me. We only go 'back home' when there's a funeral or something. I can still remember the sidewalks on Helen Street. I heard Pizza Luvin' is pretty good, too.

I actually haven't tried it yet. Assembled the whole thing Sunday and it's in the fridge. I was on a cooking streak, made lasagna and chicken soup and we've been trying to systematically make more room in the fridge. Should be on the menu tonight tho.

I don't think it'd be as good, because it won't be swimming in buttery onions. But there WILL be sour cream on mine!

Mr. Mantis
5th November 08, 02:33 PM
You mean "Pizza L'Oven" over in Forty Fort? Yeah they are pretty good, but Pizza Perfect in Dallas is the new best in town at my last check (last year).

I generally have my pierogi's with just butter and onions. I like the sour cream on my deep fried potato pancakes.

I'm not sure where Helen street is, but I'll bet the sidewalks are all fucked up, heaving over one another, just doing their best to trip up an old lady who is trying to walk to church.

The valley is blessed with great pizza. Any given street will have a church, a beer garden and a pizza shop, all within a few blocks. Take Hughes St. in Swoyersville (my real dirty home town) It's got Sal's Pizza (awesome), Holy Trinity, then you got Shanky's, Rie's (I think), and Stashachak's. And the sidewalks are a mess.

Kiko
5th November 08, 02:38 PM
My uncle ran a beer garden. I don't remember what town. Helen street is in Plains. There was a church and a penny candy store within walking distance (and they let my brother and I walk there alone, young as we were). I remember Stegmaier hill and also the beer they brewed there. Gibbon's was another one. One of the few things I learned in Polish was how to ask for a sip. Piwo proszę? ;)

I have family on Stephenson St. across from a church in Duryea, too.

Kein Haar
5th November 08, 03:02 PM
Duryea cha-cha-cha
Duryea cha-cha-cha

Kiko
5th November 08, 03:38 PM
Duryea cha-cha-cha
Duryea cha-cha-cha

eh?

Mr. Mantis
5th November 08, 03:43 PM
Boy, I'm glad I don't live there anymore. I'd probably weigh 400 pounds.

But I tell you what!
I have devised a way to make low fat (healthy) halupki and halushki!

W00T!!111!!

Kiko
5th November 08, 03:47 PM
Brown rice and ground turkey?

Mr. Mantis
5th November 08, 03:59 PM
Brown rice and ground turkey? I find that a good lean beef is about the same as ground turkey. Brown rice is just better because of the whole food aspect. The big problem with traditional halupki is the rue, which is usually a stick of butter and flour to the right consistency. I cut that out completely. I just cook them in tomato sauce, or pureed tomatoes with water to take up the slack. They taste just as good, and I always put ketchup on them anyway instead of trying to use the gravy.

For halushki, just eliminate the butter and use butter flavored pam and cook that cabbage, covered and real slow. Very yummy, no butter.

Kiko
5th November 08, 04:05 PM
I could be mistaken, but my grandmother used to use tomato juice. It wasn't a thick gravy.

Kiko
5th November 08, 05:15 PM
Pierogi Lasagna update:
"OMG, this is amazing", "YUMMMM!" from my daughters.

It worked. This one is a keeper!

Mr. Mantis
5th November 08, 07:46 PM
I could be mistaken, but my grandmother used to use tomato juice. It wasn't a thick gravy.
The gravy is not thick like turkey gravy, but it's more than just red water when you make it with the rue.

My grandmother would use the stick of butter and flour and make it golden brown, then put about a cup or a half cup of ketchup in there with water. Ask someone who knows the recipe in your family. I guarantee there's a stick of butter in every batch.

a stick of butter went into the halushki too.

Kiko
6th November 08, 07:35 AM
Grammy used butter when the recipe was specific, like for cookies, but most things got a stick of margarine that she called OLEO. Wow.. I love these memories!

Mr. Mantis
6th November 08, 09:07 AM
YOU'RE RIGHT! It wasn't butter, it WAS OLEO! Because "Butter is too rich"

I forgot about that, I used to use butter, cuz I liked it "rich".

Now I use spray pam.

Kiko
6th November 08, 11:32 AM
I like the new stuff made with flax oils.

Mr. Mantis
6th November 08, 12:58 PM
Oleo with flax oils huh? does it taste like regular oleo?

Kiko
6th November 08, 01:03 PM
Actually, I recall regular oleo tastes icky. Nothing like butter. Most of these are blended with a bit of buttermilk for flavor, I think. This one is pretty good.

http://fitnesswithbri.com/images/697-smartbalance29_slueth29_tue_embedded_prod_affiliat e_56.jpg

Flax has omega without the fish taste/smell.

Mr. Mantis
6th November 08, 01:08 PM
I wonder if I can bake with it. I want to make my infamous Russian Sweet Bread this weekend!

Kiko
6th November 08, 01:12 PM
I don't see why not. The only thing you really need butter for is certain sauces and pastry. The main thing in most other things is that it's a fat that melts, right?

Bad thing about MOST Polish food is it'll give you a heart attack. Add that to coal cracking and you have lotsa widows and orphans.

Steve
6th November 08, 10:41 PM
Damn, what an uber geekathon food wise! I approve!!

Mr. Mantis
7th November 08, 02:44 AM
Damn, what an uber geekathon food wise! I approve!!
haha!
This is just scratching the surface too, really.

I don't see why not. The only thing you really need butter for is certain sauces and pastry. The main thing in most other things is that it's a fat that melts, right?

I notice some spreads say right on them weather they are intended for baking or not. Some of them are weird, but really low in fat and calories, such as Fleichman's Light. It's okay on toast, but you can't bake with it. It's not even good to try and fry with it.

EuropIan
7th November 08, 02:24 PM
Pics!?

Mr. Mantis
16th December 08, 12:03 AM
Okay, I made some. I have to say, it was a good side. However. It can't compare to a real, traditional, old church lady makin', boiled then pan fried pirogi.

It was very good though, and it's kind of unique.

I could take some pictures, but it would just look like a little lop of shit. Eh, maybe I'll do it with leftovers tomorrow.

Mr. Mantis
5th January 09, 12:26 PM
Heynabonics
7sMI2jb16eo

Equipoise
5th January 09, 07:17 PM
This is like a mix of New Jersey, South Brooklyn and Wisconsin.

Mr. Mantis
6th January 09, 10:03 AM
This is like a mix of New Jersey, South Brooklyn and Wisconsin.
Yeah. It's just 2 hours away from NYC and Jersey and Philly. So you've got bits and pieces of those dialects that bled over. I don't have the dialect. I don't speak that way. It could be because I spent half my childhood there and the other half in the South. Or, it could be that my parents don't talk like that and hammered proper English into me, with the use of colorful expletives.

Equipoise
6th January 09, 12:08 PM
I still have my Brooklyn accent tempered with some uptown Manhattan.

Mr. Mantis
7th January 09, 12:35 AM
I have a hypnotist dialect.

Equipoise
7th January 09, 06:52 AM
Okay Rasputin.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/11_02/rasputinBBC1711_468x556.jpg

Mr. Mantis
7th January 09, 08:39 PM
A true Russian Hero.