PDA

View Full Version : Herbes de Provence

sochin101
31st October 08, 11:47 AM
Hello,

I'm English, and as such, you might think "what the deuce is an English fellow doing posting in a sub-forum about food? Surely he should stick to that which he knows: Empire Nostalgia and Institutionalised Racism".

But, no, I speak from a position of experience... for many years I have been sticking herbs ( pronounced correctly, not 'urbs' ) in lifeless gruel to make eating it bearable.

Those of you who cook will know the magic of herbs... those of you who don't, and wish for a little more "_______" from their food might like to try a great herb mix - Herbes de Provence - to add a little zing to their food.

Typically, Herbes de Provence is a dried mix of rosemary, thyme, bay leaf, marjoram, basil. Some mixes may include lavender or savory.

These are well-balanced and work together brilliantly. They work with red meat, poultry and even game.

Hell, I've even thrown them on a basic pizza instead of oregano and it releases totally different flavours.

It's sold dried, obviously, although I make a fresh version with herbs from my little herb garden.
But no lavender. That's just gay right there.

Give it a try.

Shawarma
31st October 08, 11:49 AM
You are a cultured limey indeed. I grew up with that crap and LOVE it.

Chicken seasoned with HdP, cooked in a clay form with champignons and garlick is probably my favourite food on this blessed earth. Shame I broke my clay form :(

Zendetta
31st October 08, 11:55 AM
I have all of those, plus some other herbs (for cooking!) growing out on my deck.

Its really satisfying to follow the whims of the palate, and go out and pick it fresh.