PDA

View Full Version : Superman Reboot!

RickTheCritic
29th October 08, 06:20 PM
Exclusive: Mark Millar Talks Superman
Pitches his 'Magnum Opus' to Empire

Mark Millar wants to create an epic 8-hour screen story which will follow the entire life of Kal-El from his birth on Krypton a thousand years ago, until he is the last being left on Earth.

Empire sat down for a chat with comic book writer and creator Millar, the man behind Wanted and the upcoming Kick-Ass, and he filled us in on his pitch for the follow-up to Superman Returns.
Mark has been working closely with a ‘big-Hollywood action director’ – who he refuses to name at this stage – on a pitch for what he is calling the Magnum Opus of Superman stories. His idea is for an 8-hour saga, split into 3 films to be released a year apart, in a Lord of the Rings fashion. Although several other sources have reported similar conversations with Mark, he went into further detail, fleshing out the story arc a little more.
“It’s gonna be like Michael Corleone in the Godfather films, the entire story from beginning to end, you see where he starts, how he becomes who he becomes, and where that takes him. The Dark Knight showed you can take a comic book property and make a serious film, and I think the studios are ready to listen to bigger ideas now.”
“The problem with Superman Returns was like releasing Star Wars in ’77, The Empire Strikes Back in ’80 and then waiting 28 years to release Return of the Jedi, it wasn’t relevant. I understand what Bryan Singer was trying to do, to pay homage to Richard Donner’s original vision, but I think you should pay homage by doing something completely different.”
“I want to start on Krypton, a thousand years ago, and end with Superman alone on Planet Earth, the last being left on the planet, as the yellow sun turns red and starts to supernova, and he loses his powers."
Certainly no-one can ever say that Millar lacks vision and if he and his ‘bigHollywoodaction director’ friend get backing for the project, and we certainly hope they do, it might just prove to be the Godfather of superhero films.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=23521

My Take: he worked on Wanted nuff said.

WarPhalange
29th October 08, 07:01 PM
Fucking piece of shit gave away the ending to his own movie...

Arhetton
29th October 08, 11:12 PM
what a dumbass.

Kal-el has access to something like an entire galaxy compendium of science and technology in the fortress of solitude. I think he would rather build a spaceship and travel somewhere else rather than sit around for, I don't know, billions of years on earth.

It would be interesting to do the whole 'immortality' thing where his friends and family keep dying though.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind a reboot, but not so someone can gay it up. This is like letting the director of XXX get a hold of a midsummernights dream.

WarPhalange
30th October 08, 01:08 AM
Yeah, if he wanted to die, I'm sure he could have just built something to launch himself into a Red Giant and just die.

Tanhalen21
30th October 08, 01:35 AM
Oh wow, the director of Wanted taking on an 8 hour epic screen Saga based on a comic book... I can't fucking wait

Odacon
30th October 08, 09:40 AM
Millar writes a particular type of comic very well, he does not however, know how to write Superman. If it's going to be a comic book writer the Geoff Johns is the only man who can do the character justice.

Shawarma
30th October 08, 10:28 AM
Superman is a horrible character. Best to let him die a silent death, IMO.

Odacon
30th October 08, 12:18 PM
What was the last Superman story you read?

Shawarma
30th October 08, 01:37 PM
Some shit from the early nineties or such. Why?

Odacon
30th October 08, 03:35 PM
read more up to date stories, plus read alan moore's "for the man who has everything"

Robot Jesus
30th October 08, 05:07 PM
I read the one where superman and badman are abducted by cosmic king (lol) Saturn queen, and lightning lord (lol), it sucked, and comic book writers need to forget about the stupid shit from the golden age.

the best dialog i ever read from superman wasn't even in one of his comics. his nuke monolog in dark knight returns.

I would also like to add that DC has issued an official policy that all new movies will be dark. so this is going to be 8 hours of dark superman. think about that.

WarPhalange
30th October 08, 05:18 PM
Black Superman? NO WAI!!!

Unless they make it like Blazing Saddles.

Arhetton
30th October 08, 05:21 PM
I think superman during nuclear war would be sweet, he's the only character that could really save anyone. So have him try to stop every nuke in existance going off after lex luthor becomes POTUS.

Zendetta
30th October 08, 06:10 PM
I fucking hate superman. He is so over-powerful that the only suspense is whether he will emo-out or not. LAME.

RickTheCritic
30th October 08, 06:50 PM
Not much of a comic book guy but I do love movies. Out of all the superman movies Superman 2 was the best because he not only meets his match but gets out muscled and has to use his Brain instead of brawn. Firstly i think no superman movie should be made while batman movies are still bieing released and anticipated. Hopely batman 3 will conclude the series for now. People will be bored of realism and be willing to rewatch superman. Next, Superman is most watchable when he is with an other superhero so if the general public are not tired of batman yet lets bring in worlds finest

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/87/World%27s_Finest_Comics_1.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/87/World%27s_Finest_Comics_1.jpg)

Basic rundown:

Put Batman in Supermans universe, make him the alien, the outsider instead of Superman. Clark Kent has to investigate the sightings of the batmen. Why is batman in metropelios? Supervillain team up anyone?

Just my 2 cents ( sorry for my spelling)

WarPhalange
30th October 08, 06:54 PM
I think superman during nuclear war would be sweet, he's the only character that could really save anyone. So have him try to stop every nuke in existance going off after lex luthor becomes POTUS.

He can just fly around the world really fast and turn back time and do whatever he wants then.

Doritosaurus Chex
30th October 08, 07:53 PM
If Superman was in TDK...

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1884973/

WarPhalange
30th October 08, 08:04 PM
That was my beef about TDK, that the Joker didn't really have much of a gimmick. No exploding clown dolls, no weird joke-type traps, henchmen were barely in the movie*, etc. He was a psychopath, sure, but there was nothing that made him the Joker.

*There was a commercial for I think Dominos that had his henchmen basically ruling the city. That never came close to happening in the movie.