PDA

View Full Version : Ninja Scroll: Live Action. oh god why.

Neildo
28th October 08, 03:59 AM
Warner Bros Developing Live Action Ninja Scroll Movie
Posted on Sunday, October 26th, 2008 at 8:13 pm by: Peter Sciretta

Warner Bros will be brining Ninja Scroll to the big screen. The live-action big screen adaptation will be based on the popular 1993 Japanese Anime movie which spawned a popular animated series. Ninja Scrolls is considered one of the best Anime films ever produced. Yoshiaki Kawajiri’s original action/thriller tells the story of a Journeyman ninja-for-hire named Jubei, who “stumbles upon a plague, an evil clan of demons, a national crisis, and a beautiful ninja girl.” He is forced to fight and old nemesis, the leader of a group of demons each with superhuman powers, and is hellbent on overthrowing the government. Kawajiri later went on to create Vampire Hunter D, and directed a segment of The Animatix.

Watchmen movie scribe Alex Tse has been hired to write the script. The film is being produced by Leonardo DiCaprio’s Appian Way, but DiCaptio supposedly has no plans to star in the film. The original film was given a rating equivalent to R in most countries (it was never rated in the U.S., but I have the feeling that Warner Bros wants to produce a broader version of the story. Ninja Scroll could definitely work if it wasn’t dumbed down and turned into a film geared towards kids. But I don’t have faith in Hollywood to produce an R-rated film based on this property.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
/facepalm

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/10/26/warner-bros-developing-live-action-ninja-scroll-movie/
http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/10/legendary-anime.html
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117994681.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Steve
28th October 08, 04:02 AM
They should commit Seppuku now.

Arhetton
28th October 08, 05:14 AM
maybe they can get that guy from american ninja as the lead role. Or perhaps gym kata!

Sun Wukong
28th October 08, 05:29 AM
desperate times indeed.

mrblackmagic
28th October 08, 07:07 AM
And what random white boy will be playing Jubei?

Phrost
28th October 08, 07:52 AM
Meh, it might be possible to pull it off. What would be nigh-impossible to do live-action properly would be Akira.

MSphinx
28th October 08, 08:24 AM
They must be anticipating the fantastic success of the new Dragon Ball movie, and want to start a bandwagon early.

kungfujew
28th October 08, 09:07 AM
So how are they gonna pull off the zombie-vagina-puppet thing? Or the snake-in-the-pussy thing? Christ, might as well make a La Blue Girl live action movie... oh wait, Japan already did.

MrBadGuy
28th October 08, 12:09 PM
Jackie Chan, as....

JUBEI.

Zendetta
28th October 08, 01:45 PM
And what random white boy will be playing Jubei?

DiCaptio supposedly has no plans to star in the film.

Be Grateful for Small Mercies.

mrblackmagic
29th October 08, 11:03 AM
Meh, it might be possible to pull it off. What would be nigh-impossible to do live-action properly would be Akira.
It could be. Thankfully, no studio would front the huge bill for it.

Be Grateful for Small Mercies.

Noted. I just don't see how they could do this. Thankfully, just as many movies fall apart as are released.

Jackie Chan, as....

JUBEI.

I cringe at the already small pool of asian actors carelessly cast into these roles.

Maggie Q, Natassia Malthe, Devon Aoki, (god forbid) Xhang Xiyi as Kagero

Masi Oka as the bee ninja

Will Yune, Karl Yune, Yusuke Iseya, Asano Tadanobu, Collin Chou, Kane Kosugi, Edisen Chen, Nicholas Tsi, Donnie Yen or Roger Fan as potentially Jubei, the blind swordsman, the wire guy, or other fodder or foil characters.

Ken Watanabi or Hiroyuki Sanada - as Genma

Robot Jesus
29th October 08, 11:51 AM
if they do it right i will only be comprehensible on powerful hallucinogens.

mrblackmagic
29th October 08, 02:35 PM
if they do it right i will only be comprehensible on powerful hallucinogens.

Hadn't considered that possibility. Then again, Ninja Scroll is definitely NOT a good acid trip movie.

Zendetta
29th October 08, 04:03 PM
obligatory:

Juuuuuuuubei!!!!! Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuubei!!!!!

jubei33
29th October 08, 04:37 PM
it gonna suck

Zendetta
29th October 08, 05:40 PM
You heard it, straight from Jubei himself.

AAAhmed46
29th October 08, 11:33 PM
oh man.

well in japan a sequel is in the works.

mrblackmagic
30th October 08, 09:49 AM
Another one!!!

AAAhmed46
31st October 08, 05:56 PM
No, im not talking about the shitty anime series(though i thought they had some cool charecter designs)

Im talking another movie from the creator himself.