PDA

View Full Version : Sociocide's Guide to Better Booze & Vino

Stick
24th October 08, 06:21 PM
Alright, as evidenced by my last thread on the subject (http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51066), I'm clueless when it comes to finer things that make you dizzy and sick.

Help me. Please.

Today I stopped off at the liquor store and picked up some Tecate & Spaten Lager because I was out of beer.

While I was there I picked up a 1.5L bottle of Bolla Chianti for $15.... so it's cheap, because I'm cheap. I jsut thought I'd try a different sort of red, mostly I've been buying Merlot- for all I know I'm throwing these terms around all willy nilly and wrong, so correct me if that's the case.

I also decided to increase the contents of my liquor cabinet by and so I bought a 1L bottle of E & J Brandy extra smooth for $13.... so again with the cheap. What can I do with brandy? Is it a sipping or shooting drink? Does it mix? With what?

Also, recommend for me a booze or wine to pick up next time I'm in the store.

HappyOldGuy
24th October 08, 06:30 PM
With the brandy, you can mix yourself a sidecar.

2 shots brandy
1 shot triple sec or cointreau
1 shot lemon juice

shake with ice and serve in a glass with a sugared rim if you are feeling fancy.

Zendetta
24th October 08, 06:41 PM
I used to take a bottle of Bolla's Valpicella (sp?) on all my camping trips.

Stick
24th October 08, 08:23 PM
Note: this Brandy is hella smooth, damn!

Robot Jesus
24th October 08, 11:30 PM
buy rum, as a visually challenged martal artiest you must be in constant conflict with ninjas (particularity the Hand). by consuming rum one can attain a state of asskickery known a pirate. as a "pirate" ninjas will cease to be a serious concern, although the eye patch will affect your already poor vision.

how you take it is just as important, and for that we have another example of asskickery to show us the way.

The Papas Double Daquery

two part rum
one part lime
shake and serve.

EDIT: how do i screw up a recipe like a poppas double, im on my fifth.

bob
25th October 08, 03:44 AM
Drink brandy after a nice meal, preferably after you've dismissed the servants and the ladies have adjourned. A good brandy is best enjoyed straight, in a ridiculously oversized glass. Accompany it with a fine cigar, a handshake/backscratch deal with your old college chum on the SEC and follow it with a joke about wetbacks.

Neildo
25th October 08, 03:45 AM
brandy kicks ass when you have a cold. it's always good to have some on hand.

Kiko
25th October 08, 05:07 AM
Try looking through this... http://www.mixologyguide.com/

Maybe go to some tastings or order different things when you go out so you can see what you like.

jubei33
25th October 08, 07:05 AM
brandy is very fine.

hennesey is my personal favorite, but camus and remy martin are also nice too

HappyOldGuy
25th October 08, 09:14 PM
Next drink hint. Tonight Im drinking margueritas to enjoy the last warm nights of the year.

recipe

1 shot tequila (Herradura reposado, YMMV)
1/2 shot triple sec
1 shot lime juice
spash of lemon

shake in a cocktail shaker with ice and pour. If you blend this shit I'll make sure you die screaming.

salt the rim (unlike the sugared rim on the sidecar, this is not optional)

enjoy.

bob
25th October 08, 09:48 PM
And while we're at it, stop drinking beer out of the bottle or can people.

Steve
25th October 08, 09:59 PM
Drinking out of the bottle will always have a special place in my heart, the place saved for being a real man.

Beer in a glass is for the pub or for beers that come in larger than 12oz sizes and cost almost as much in dollars.

bob
25th October 08, 10:04 PM
Drinking out of the bottle robs you of much of the enjoyment. You can't appreciate the aroma properly so basically you're only getting the taste, which on its own can be quite bitter. It's designed to be a smell + taste package.

Steve
25th October 08, 10:20 PM
I agree. That's why I added the quality exception that good beer should always be drunk out of a glass. Drinking shit to average beer out of a bottle gets the ladies hotter than finding a nice pint glass to pour it into, just sayin.

Kiko
26th October 08, 06:39 AM
I was once told that a beer glass should never be used for anything but beer. Especially milk. Something about other things ruining the way the beer pours especially if you like a head on it (which I don't) *covers ears while crude comments are made*

Any thoughts, or was my roommate's dad nuts?

jubei33
26th October 08, 07:18 AM
wine glasses are the same way, specifically designed to allow flavors and vapors to escape to your nose while drinking. that's why there are flutes and the other collection of drinking glassware.

especially with liquors, alcohol will also dissolve substances into the drink. An example is not using a lead crystal glass for drinking, imo anything, but hard liquors as it will leach some of the lead into solution. Things like milk and sugary juices leave sugars and other flavored residues behind in microscopic crevices in the glass. This could throw off the flavor of your favorite drink. not sure about head. Its possible it could make a difference, like those silly folk who put salt in their beer to kill the head. Anyone who does that though has their priorities misplaced.

Kiko
26th October 08, 03:54 PM
Don't forget the art of garnishing drinks with the proper fresh fruit...

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/lolcats-funny-pictures-happy-pineapple.jpg

Stick
26th October 08, 06:47 PM
Realizing how tacky it is to drink wine out of a plastic Eskimo Joe's cup (http://www.eskimojoes.com/) and brandy from a company coffee mug (http://www.stonestreet.com/), I went out to Pier 1 and bought 4 wine glasses and 4 tumblers.

I am now enjoying some Chianti, and trying to figure out how to articulate the differences in taste I perceive when compared to the Merlots I usually buy.

jubei33
27th October 08, 03:44 AM
Q. does the chianti come in the fish shaped bottle?

Stick
27th October 08, 11:48 AM
No, a bottle shaped bottle.

Neildo
28th October 08, 02:22 AM
COMBINE

http://neildato.googlepages.com/tanqueray_gr.jpg

WITH

http://neildato.googlepages.com/kirinnuda.jpg

ADD

http://neildato.googlepages.com/ReaLime.JPG
(because keeping these in the fridge is easier that keeping fresh limes and not being lazy enough to slice them. just looking out for my fellow lazy drunkards!)

TO TASTE

Stick
2nd November 08, 04:04 PM
Sangria sucks.

jubei33
2nd November 08, 05:26 PM
i thought this was about better booze and wine? Are we talking hairy buffalo's and who tapped the keg of natty ice now?

Mr. Mantis
8th November 08, 09:20 PM
I think it's more about, what can we suggest to Stick to drink knowing his taste buds are weak and virginal.
My picks:

Whiskey: Jameson
Vodka: Grey Goose

Drink the Whiskey Straight.

Stick:
Vodka is pretty versatile, you can make stiff drinks that don't taste "icky"
Here's 2 things:

White Russian
1/4 Vodka
1/4 Coffee Liquor
1/2 milk

Screwdriver
1/2 vodka
1/2 Orange Juice

You can also use the Orange juice to make Mimosa for your lady friend to have with breakfast from the left over champagne from the night before.

Rum can be mixed with coke.

Equipoise
9th November 08, 07:05 AM
Wines are graded and tasted based on what the vineyard states they should have aromas/tastes of and how closely their description matches a taster's palate.. It's best to read about a particular vineyard prior to buying their wine as you can then see what they added to the soil, location, aging wood, etc.

After a while you can begin to pick out exact flavours whether they be coffee, pepper, etc.

The main point however is to go based on what wine you like to drink. It's moot to drink something with a 90+ rating in Wine Spectator if you think it tastes like gasoline. I've found that many new wines taste like complete garbage despite their ratings. I'm going to chalk it up to mass production and a departure from careful cultivation.

As for liquors, read up on this as well. Usually the highest priced one is not the best. Take Patron for example; It has fame due to the nice bottle and numerous rappers speaking about it, however it's as smooth as broken glass and way over priced.

Cullion
9th November 08, 08:42 AM
I think Eastern Europe has something to teach us about enjoying booze. Their wine doesn't have a great reputation, but they make some very clean, crisp lagers and their spirits are diverse and good.

There's a polish restaurant in Oxford with several shelves of different vodkas, different brands and a lot of it flavoured by having slivers of garlic, or wildflowers or other stuff floating in it. Some of them are very tasty. Try getting some generic but well made vodka like Smirnoff and experimenting with different flavourings.

Letting a chili pepper float around in it can give an interesting kick, and is a great winter warmer. Warms you up from the inside.

Slivovitz is a kind of brandy made from plums that they enjoy around the baltics and in the former Yugoslavia. Tasty.

Kiko
9th November 08, 08:49 AM
Vodak is evil. Once tried wyborowa and ended up slapping my future husband a couple of times. It makes me nasty, I tell you.

I'll stick to scotch now that it's getting chilly.

Equipoise
9th November 08, 08:48 PM
Chilly.... Ha. I love Miami weather.

Steve
10th November 08, 02:06 AM
Chilly.... Ha. I love Miami weather.

Haha, yeah, nothing like having no seasons and a few hurricane(s). Sounds like a great time!

Oh, it rains sometimes, so I hear. Sorry.

Stick
10th November 08, 02:22 AM
The Sonoma Riesling was quite good.

This crazy, twist top red from Australia called Passion Has Red Lips ( 51% Cabernet, 49% Shibaz) was also rather nice. Bonus points for pin-up label.

Robot Jesus
10th November 08, 03:51 AM
I want to pick up a bottle of scotch for the cost of johnny black.

i assume there are better for that price.

Equipoise
10th November 08, 09:38 AM
Haha, yeah, nothing like having no seasons and a few hurricane(s). Sounds like a great time!

Oh, it rains sometimes, so I hear. Sorry.

We have the two best seasons, Summer and Spring.

You can keep your Winter and cold Fall. As for hurricanes, assuming you don't live in a house made of Balsa wood, the hurricanes aren't such a big issue. Plus I get time and a half pay for being on standby, IE sitting in my house watching tv.

Kiko
10th November 08, 05:21 PM
Bowmore ran me around $28. If you want to try Islay single malt.

jubei33
10th November 08, 11:15 PM
I want to pick up a bottle of scotch for the cost of johnny black.

i assume there are better for that price.

I have about 20 choices with price ranges in this thread. Might be a good read if you're interested. Most of them aren't the super high end, primo expensives and are with average price range (well under 100$). The most expensive one I believe was 110$ with average being about 40$ for the group.

http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49881

I have to say auchentoshan's 3 wood is one of my favorites and its around 80$/ bottle. I can get a discount where I buy so most are cheaper for me :+) I recommend this one, it's worth every penny. There are some Japanese whiskies that are nice, just be careful of the cheapest cheap: they'll ruin you forever on Japanese whiskey. Glenrothes (http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48748) is also fantastic for about 40$. good stuff (http://www.whisky.com/brands/glenrothes_brand.html)

Neildo
11th November 08, 04:12 AM
I had some Black Label at the bar last week. Double w/ice = $10.50

Delicious though. I was savouring each sip, now i know why tony stark likes it so much.

Robot Jesus
11th November 08, 05:17 AM

Delicious though. I was savouring each sip, now i know why tony stark likes it so much.
iron tung?

Neildo
11th November 08, 05:47 AM
tongue. and no, more like sophisticated palette. or possibly, i have the manly fortitude you wish you had. grow a pair?

Equipoise
11th November 08, 08:50 AM

JWB is the Patron of the Whiskey world; commercialized and overpriced. The reason "Tony Stark likes it" is due to the advertising throwback. I doubt he'd drink anything other than a real aged single malt.

Robot Jesus
17th December 08, 04:50 AM
so i just got a $960 windfall. what can an unrefined pallet celebrate with
looking for scotch $60-70 Canadian

Steve
17th December 08, 04:59 AM
so i just got a $960 windfall. what can an unrefined pallet celebrate with
looking for scotch $60-70 Canadian

A very pretty girl? Go to the shop with her and buy the scotch she picks (in the provided price range), enjoy.

Robot Jesus
17th December 08, 05:07 AM
A very pretty girl? Go to the shop with her and buy the scotch she picks (in the provided price range), enjoy.

since when does meting a girl equate to you making money?... oic.

nope just my inheritance came in, i got some checks my employer was holding. and this 960 is unrelated to ether. It was ether this or a wii fit, and you can't find those anywhere.

Steve
17th December 08, 05:13 AM
since when does meting a girl equate to you making money?... oic.

My joke was a play on your sentence structure, nothing more. Let me just say that you are limiting yourself if it has to be Canadian whiskey. I drink shit whiskey because I mix it, no help from me.

nope just my inheritance came in, i got some checks my employer was holding. and this 960 is unrelated to ether. It was ether this or a wii fit, and you can't find those anywhere.

I bet you could for $960.

Robot Jesus
17th December 08, 05:15 AM
that's outside of my "holy shit where did i get all this munny" splurge limit.

since when is there such a thing as Canadian scotch?

it was a matter of currency conversion since i don't use your barbarian funny money.

Steve
17th December 08, 05:30 AM
since when is there such a thing as Canadian scotch?

LOL, my turn for oic. Use CAD for dollar values, otherwise I'll believe you have some sort of magical scotch/etc that can be bought in USD.

Kiko
17th December 08, 01:03 PM
There is Canadian whiskey which isn't really the same as Scotch.

Go to a tasting!

jubei33
17th December 08, 04:27 PM
yeah they're different all together flavors. different from bourbon too. Both are good.

So how does your 960$ pear juice taste?

Robot Jesus
17th December 08, 08:45 PM
i find rye is best for mixing, its lighter flavour blends plays better with others.

Mr. Mantis
18th December 08, 04:58 PM
buy some Glenlivet, see how you like it.

Kiko
18th December 08, 06:55 PM
If you DON'T like it, don't give it to Stick, give it to Manti$ & me!

jubei33
18th December 08, 11:00 PM
yamazaki 12 and 20 are nice, lighter whiskies good for after meals. Eating nice chocolate with it is the rage over here as well.

suntory's hakushu is also a very good complex whiskey. The japanese seem to dig the lighter flavors of whiskey and don't seem to dig peat as much.

I also reccommend auchentoshan's 3 wood.

Robot Jesus
12th May 09, 09:34 PM
drinking bowmore islay tonight; not as sweet as highland park, but very smokey.