PDA

View Full Version : standing rib roast

Robot Jesus
4th October 08, 02:13 PM
i had pictures but they got deleted.

first thing we need is the meat,

purchase it three days before you're going to eat, this will let you do one thing with two good results. dry aging. by dryaging you tenderize the meat through aging, and intensify its flavor though drying.

wrap meat in paper towel with bone side down, also use some manner of grill or something to allow drainage, change paper towel twice a day.

next we need some stock to make the gravy.
Ingredients:
soup bones >shanks and ox tails
onion one
leek one
celery 2 sticks
thyme
one bay leaf

roast soup bones and mean in a pan under high heat until browned
chop veg and sauté until slightly browned in your stock pot
add bones and meat to stock pot.
deglaze pan you roasted the bones in with water and add to stock pot.

fill with water untill covered and simmer for 4-8 hours.
strain and store, remove fat once it has congealed on top

now for the big show

inspect roast should be a little leathery on the outside, but believe me it's fine on the inside. cut off any bits that look past a little leathery.

brush with olive oil and season, USE KOSHER SALT!!!!! any other seasoning you like will be fine but i prefer just salt and a crapload of pepper.USE FRESHLY GROUND!!!
place in roasting pan and put in the thermometer

oven at 121C leave meat in uncovered until internal temperature reaches 55C

remove roast from oven and crank the bitch up as high as she'll go usually about 260
let roast rest for about half an hour

reintroduce meat to heat for ten min to brown.

now the gravy.

take the roasting pan and deglaze with about a cup of red wine, add a cup of the beef stock, two chopped tomatoes, a chopped onion, and 4 uncrushed cloves of garlic. over high heat apply a potato masher liberally, stop mashing once the tomatoes are pretty much done for. boil for about five min then strain. reduce until your left with one cup of gravy.

slice and serve.

Kiko
5th October 08, 07:47 AM
When I cook a rib roast - aka prime rib, right? - I buy at least 4 ribs and cut it in half. Why would I do that? Because there's nothing like the end cut! Cooks quicker and everyone is happy!

Also, why gravy?

Zendetta
5th October 08, 12:08 PM
4 end pieces from one roast?

The Wisdom of Solomon.

Some of what makes a Great Mom is the little stuff.

Kiko
5th October 08, 12:16 PM
I'm not sure if it was my idea or my husband's. He also taught me that a great side dish for prime rib is Yorkshire Pudding. You'll need a proper set of baking cups to make them - they're also called popovers here in the states.

Oke.. some pics, not of my cooking but for the idea...
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/PrimeRibRoast3.jpg
See how you get all this crispy stuff on the outside? Sure, you may like your beef rare or medium, but there's nothing like the end. Try it yourself and see. In addition to the salt & pepper, some thyme is also a good thing to rub on the roast before you cook it.

The pan drippings can be used for the popovers/yorkshire pudding. Look up the recipe. They look like this.

http://www.akakestrel.com/Images/food/popovers2.jpg

Or some sort of potato and a green veg. Asparagus with hollandaise/bernaise would work well.

Tanhalen21
5th October 08, 02:28 PM
May I just say how I love that the word "pudding" means like a million fucking different things?

Carry on.

Robot Jesus
5th October 08, 03:32 PM
When I cook a rib roast - aka prime rib, right? - I buy at least 4 ribs and cut it in half. Why would I do that? Because there's nothing like the end cut! Cooks quicker and everyone is happy!

Also, why gravy?

couldn't you do a crown roast like that?

and because gravy is great on Yorkshire pudding.

Kiko
5th October 08, 05:56 PM
Not sure about exactly what a crown roast is, unless it's a very large rib roast put into a circle upon itself. Isn't that done more with a rack of lamb? Dunno.

I love gravy, but I really like au jus with prime rib. It's a rich enough cut on its own but we all have our preferences.

Hope the pics helped.

Robot Jesus
5th October 08, 10:38 PM
just an idea i had when you suggested cutting a 4 bone.

on further thought it would be difficult to dry age. either you cut than age, and you get a mummified roast. or you cut after aging and you have the outer cuts dried out while the inner cuts most (or most/raw).