PDA

View Full Version : I just pent a week without internet or tv

Robot Jesus
1st October 08, 06:26 PM
and due to poor planing all i had to watch where reruns of how i met your mother.

so I've decided to buy a suit.

I have a friend who can acquire suits cheaply on my behalf, but this means not talking to a clothier and possibly buying a suit that doesn't suit me.

any advice?

Japuma
1st October 08, 06:35 PM
With suits you absolutly get what you pay for.

Cheap, ill fitting suits have a way of showing glaring flaws in both their construction and the warer.

If the suits are of a good quality fabric and make, then pick one up and head to a tailor to have it fit properly.

Robot Jesus
1st October 08, 06:42 PM
yes and i know a guy who can make armani fall off the back of the truck. so what should i be going for?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st October 08, 06:59 PM
Armani suits look like ass. Get something more modern and European. Actually, you can't afford that. Get something that looks more modern and European.

Robot Jesus
1st October 08, 07:44 PM
specifically?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st October 08, 07:50 PM
I know GQ is gayer than fifty dicks in the ass, but suck it up for a couple minutes and read this:
http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/landing?id=content_5771

Aphid Jones
1st October 08, 08:08 PM
So Chuck Liddell is our fashion icon too?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st October 08, 08:12 PM
Not until he loses that goofy ass facial hair.

Aphid Jones
1st October 08, 08:12 PM
Where exactly does your suit expertise come from, MJS?

Robot Jesus
1st October 08, 08:25 PM
his archery training

Japuma
1st October 08, 08:32 PM
What is the suit for? Business? Formal outings (weddings, funerals, art shows)? All of the above?

Robot Jesus
1st October 08, 09:12 PM
BARNEY'S MAIL "SACK"
Barney,

My friends and I are in a debate about what kind of suit works best for reelin' in the ladies. I say a pin-striped, double-breasted three-piece suit is unbeatable, but my buddy says that an understated, basic black, four-button suit is key. Alas, my other friend says he gets the most chicks in his birthday suit. Being the Master of Suiting Up, could you please end this tiff?

Suitless in Saskatchewan

Dear Suitless,

It warms my heart to know a group of fine gentlemen like yourselves are having a meaningful, spirited debate over the single most critical issue facing America today: the suit. It was to protect just this sort of discourse that our Founding Fathers invented freedom. The suit is not just a fashion statement; it's a way of life. In that regard, really all suits are three-piece; beautiful fabric that adorns and protects not just the body, but the mind and the soul as well. Your excellent choice, the pinstriped, double-breasted three-piece, will raise many key questions with the sexies, e.g. who is this devilish rake? Whatever does he do? How can I possibly keep my clothes on standing next to such an impressive collection of woven threads and masculinity? Pinstripes are always a winner and usually a closer. On the other hand, your buddy's selection was no less breathtaking: the understated, basic black four-button. This classic didn't become the peanut butter and jelly of suits by accident. It's a time-tested sex magnet that instantly turns a donkey into a champion thoroughbred. So now, for today's moral: when choosing a suit, it's not the basic black or the pins that make the man, it's the tailoring. I've said it in this space before: Chicks love money. No matter what cut or cloth, your perfectly-tailored suit makes the statement that it is the most expensive suit it can possibly be. If you can get your tailor to sew fifty-dollar bills right into the lining, do it. Because if you do, I guarantee you'll end up in the most important suit of all: your birthday suit.

- The Barnacle
http://www.legen-waitforit.com/barney/2005_12_01_archive.html

although in reality; its more that i can get an expensive suit on the cheep, I should take advantage of this situation.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st October 08, 09:48 PM
Where exactly does your suit expertise come from, MJS?

I know more about clothes than my striped hoody and goofy ass Vans let on.

Steve
2nd October 08, 12:37 AM
MJS is trying to say that he has rich parents that take care of him.

Robot Jesus
2nd October 08, 12:14 PM
let me re phrase the question. I'm going to buy a suit site unseen, I trust the source but what do i need to know/tell him so i don't get inadvertently burned?

Robot Jesus
3rd August 10, 06:17 PM
oh look, it's this thread again.

I've been going through my wardrobe and getting rid of everything that doesn't fit. my suit would require extensive tailoring to not look like a tent.

unlike when I first posted this thread I have money and a suit is an investment.

but I still know dick about them.

I can afford just about any suit on the market, what should I look for, what price ranges exist, ect.

fes_fsa
3rd August 10, 07:06 PM
is it VERY baggy?

tailoring a suit can be expensive, depending on what you have done, but they look much better than most things "off the rack" and cost much less than a brand new suit.

SoulMechanic
3rd August 10, 07:15 PM
Save it, you will be fat again, one day. Hopefully in the not too present future.

Robot Jesus
3rd August 10, 09:36 PM
I recently inherited a giant pile of money (well actually a while ago, but the will was specific on what age I get unfettered use of the money) and the suit I currently have was the cheapest available at the time. Also my employment condition have changed so that very rarely I will be required to suit up. makes sense to me to upgrade, I just need to decide how much to spend and what designer.

Cullion
4th August 10, 05:38 AM
I recently inherited a giant pile of money (well actually a while ago, but the will was specific on what age I get unfettered use of the money) and the suit I currently have was the cheapest available at the time. Also my employment condition have changed so that very rarely I will be required to suit up. makes sense to me to upgrade, I just need to decide how much to spend and what designer.

You're posting about having giant piles of money in a fashion thread. How many PMs do you have from MJS now ?

fes_fsa
4th August 10, 09:18 AM

you can't go wrong with valentino.

but be prepared to spend 2000-3000 for the jacket alone.

fes_fsa
4th August 10, 09:49 AM
oh... and one more thing.

MJS might disagree with me, but Armani suits look good on MOST men.

you can buy a very basic suit for any occasion for probably a grand... and that's cheap for a designer suit.

Robot Jesus
4th August 10, 01:42 PM
You're posting about having giant piles of money in a fashion thread. How many PMs do you have from MJS now ?

I'm not his type, he doesn't like any guy he can't bench press.

oh... and one more thing.

you can buy a very basic suit for any occasion for probably a grand... and that's cheap for a designer suit.
define most?

I used to know a guy who was somewhat fashion obsessed (and comically a homophobe), he once told me that different designers work for different body types. is this true? who designs for mesomorphs?

fes_fsa
4th August 10, 01:48 PM
not true on the body types. it doesn't matter the label--what matters is whether your body type can pull off the design.

the difference in fit varies from factory to factory.

are you saying that you're a mesomorph?

if so, then WHY are you even asking us to suggest a designer?

you should look good in ANYTHING.

Ming Loyalist
4th August 10, 02:03 PM
don't get a designer suit if you have the cash to have a bespoke suit made for you, and if you live anywhere near a tailor who specializes in them.

while you're at it, have some shirts made for you as well.

Robot Jesus
4th August 10, 02:04 PM
suits are expensive and I don't know what I'm doing.

fes_fsa
4th August 10, 02:17 PM
don't get a designer suit if you have the cash to have a bespoke suit made for you, and if you live anywhere near a tailor who specializes in them.

while you're at it, have some shirts made for you as well.

^ this. thank you, another person to mention a tailor.

if the material on your old suit is good, just have it tailored to fit you. your old suit probably looked good on you when you were fat--why waste a good suit?

if you live near an atelier who makes bespoke (or fully custom) suits, go there. you can get a suit for hundreds, if not thousands of dollars cheaper than designer. even if you don't know anything about fabric and color, they'll have swatches and bolts of material for you to feel. they bend over backwards for their clients, and they do NOTHING without your okay. also, you have a say in quality before making the final purchase.

if you get a designer suit... you're gonna have to get it custom fitted anyway. so you might as well look for a good tailor now.

Robot Jesus
4th August 10, 02:28 PM
how much does a custom suit usually run? how do I know a tailor knows what he's doing?

SoulMechanic
4th August 10, 02:35 PM
how much does a custom suit usually run? how do I know a tailor knows what he's doing?
A good tailor will double, triple then quadruple check your inseam. He may even ask you to cough while checking the measurements. You don't want your pants to split at lil' cousin Saul's bar mitzvah while you show everybody your mad dance skills do you?

fes_fsa
4th August 10, 02:39 PM
tailors will usually have a work station (sewing machines, sergers, fabric, dress forms, etc.,). they'll have books of designs that they can do. if you want to test their ability, give them something to fix. something you think is unsalvageable, and very difficult to hide the seams, should an attempt be made to fix it. if you like their work, commission them to make a suit for you.

i don't know how much your suit will cost. alot of tailors charge a flat fee, then tack on the cost of materials, plus difficulty of design.

be wary of the foreign (asian) guys that just have an office and books. you're not really getting a custom suit from them, you're just looking in a catalogue, and then they order your suit from a factory in China, where they make alterations based on your measurements. their quality is crap and their workmanship is crap and they charge you more than the suit is worth.

Robot Jesus
4th August 10, 04:19 PM
A good tailor will double, triple then quadruple check your inseam. He may even ask you to cough while checking the measurements. You don't want your pants to split at lil' cousin Saul's bar mitzvah while you show everybody your mad dance skills do you?

you just passed up the perfect chance for a hudsucker proxy reference, I don't think I can forgive you.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th August 10, 05:51 PM

I don't think there's ever a case where you can't get a better suit somewhere else for less money. Armani reminds me a lot of BMW or Mercedes, in that it's a middling product that's billed as a luxury item and given a luxury price tag.

I used to know a guy who was somewhat fashion obsessed (and comically a homophobe), he once told me that different designers work for different body types. is this true? who designs for mesomorphs?

Do you realize that ecto-meso-endomorphs don't exist?

I'd recommend looking at a lot of pictures of good looking suits and try to figure out what the common theme is among your favorites. Even if you can't figure it out, just bring a ton of pictures with you to a tailor who does bespoke or at least made-to-measure and say, "I want a suit that looks like these."

Robot Jesus
4th August 10, 09:04 PM

it's just a system of categorization, I don't quite understand what you mean by "doesn't exist".

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
5th August 10, 09:31 AM
They were created in the 19th century to explain people's psychological inclinations according to their body shape.

fes_fsa
5th August 10, 10:25 AM

I'd recommend looking at a lot of pictures of good looking suits and try to figure out what the common theme is among your favorites. Even if you can't figure it out, just bring a ton of pictures with you to a tailor who does bespoke or at least made-to-measure and say, "I want a suit that looks like these."

i disagree with this statement, vehemently.

alot of fat people like shit that don't look good on them. same with skinny people. there are looks that are "in", but you have to avoid, because of your body type. you have to find what is flattering to your body type... and endo/ecto/mesomorphs are general guidelines for what to avoid.

padded shoulders aren't going to look good on someone with already broad shoulders. pleated pants aren't going to look good on someone with a gut. a high waist will look good on someone with a long torso, but if you're short, it will cut your waistline and make you look shorter, same goes with whether or not to tuck in your shirt. fat people shouldn't wear fitted clothes or high necklines or tapered pants or even belts.

you can like whatever you want. it doesn't mean it's going to look good on you.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
5th August 10, 10:28 AM
I'm taking for granted that RJ isn't picking Hedi Slimane for his fashion inspiration.

fes_fsa
5th August 10, 10:31 AM
we're doing this for RJ. you and i like fitted clothes. he may pick something based on what we like, then he takes it home and it's a total mess. i can't, in good conscience, let that happen. i have a reputation to uphold.

Ming Loyalist
5th August 10, 11:41 AM
fat people shouldn't wear fitted clothes or high necklines or tapered pants or even belts.

you can like whatever you want. it doesn't mean it's going to look good on you.

wait, you mean fatties shouldn't wear skinny jeans???

fes_fsa
5th August 10, 12:07 PM
these pants don't just say "no".... they scream it from the roof tops
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QySY_3-gEuM/SmSeqnQNkoI/AAAAAAAAAPQ/1ZT4kHG0uX0/s320/fatwomentryingtogetpantjx9.jpg

Ajamil
5th August 10, 02:58 PM
Is she was a man, she'd button them under the belly roll and buy a bigger shirt to tuck up under it.

http://www.changeyourselfonline.com/sites/smedway/_files/Image//dreamstime_6259570.jpg

Robot Jesus
5th August 10, 03:40 PM
any generalized advice while suit shopping? theres a mens clothiers across from the courthouse, I think I might pop in there tomorrow and see whats what.

Robot Jesus
26th August 10, 05:36 PM
any one know anything about the company Coppley? I saw one for $850 that looked alright. 110 thread count.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
26th August 10, 05:38 PM
For $850 you could get a fairly nice MTM.

Looked at Coppley's website. Every suit fits horribly and that's on the models.

Robot Jesus
26th August 10, 06:41 PM
been pokeing around places that offer MTM. one place nearby offers these brands: Armani Collezioni, Ermenegildo Zegna, Canali, Tom Ford and Isaia. Thoughts?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
26th August 10, 08:30 PM
huh? you can't get those brands mtm, they're going to be otr by their very nature. what you should do is visit local tailors and ask if they offer mtm and if you can see anexmample of their work. ill expand on this when i get home.

Robot Jesus
26th August 10, 08:46 PM
just what the website says. and you shouldn't use your johns computer, he might take it the wrong way.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
26th August 10, 08:55 PM
those are major labels that produce large runs of mediocre suits and charge a huge mark up because they've convinced people that they're luxury brands. the website probably put mtm next to their names to wrangle inattentative consumers like you.

Robot Jesus
26th August 10, 09:06 PM
http://www.holtrenfrew.com/holts/pages/services/services.dot?language_id=1&url=1363

just googled "made to measure Calgary"

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
26th August 10, 09:13 PM
some of those brands offer mtm. look, ill cover this shit when i get home.
i just lost my post. fuck opera for droid.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
27th August 10, 11:20 PM
So the truth is that I saw the names Armani and Tom Ford and stopped paying attention. Zegna is a respectable, if not fashion forward brand, but you can get your MTM directly through them so why bother with a middle man? The best overall value I'm aware of in terms of MTM suiting is http://www.thickasthievesla.com/ , however their house cut is based on the ridiculous Thom Browne shrunken silhouette so you'll want to let them know that you ain't down for that stupid bullshit.

Robot Jesus
7th September 10, 05:24 PM
I'm having it done bespoke, should be ready in a month $1200.

Robot Jesus
11th September 10, 08:39 PM
I meant to add, did I get a good price? he said that it was $1450 but he would do it for 12, probably because it was the first number I threw out (I used a divination ritual to decide my price range).

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
17th September 10, 12:59 AM
That's about the standard price for a decent bespoke suit. I wouldn't settle for anything less than fabrics milled in the first world by a reputable brand and buttons made out of a natural material but he's probably using those anyway.