PDA

View Full Version : So.. I'm starting to fly fish

Japuma
28th September 08, 09:46 AM
Got a rod and reel for free (7/8 weight rod) and I've picked up all the necisary supplies. Started practicing my cast in the yard and i'm getting pretty decent at it. I'm going to be going after mostly smallmouths, largemouths and panfish. Anyone else here fly fish and have some wisdom to impart?

Steve
28th September 08, 01:01 PM
I don't but I've always been interested in it...

Steve
28th September 08, 01:08 PM
Don't make me get my taco.

Kiko
28th September 08, 01:16 PM
I learned some basics. It's easy with a clear pond, but the trick is when there's lots of trees over a stream and you don't want to stand in the water....

Steve
28th September 08, 01:29 PM
No.

Steve
28th September 08, 01:30 PM
I once heard of a dude that came to ER with two hooks in his ear, don't be that guy.

Kiko
28th September 08, 01:32 PM
It's not like this either...
http://moldychum.typepad.com/moldy_chum/images/fly_fishing_by_bikle.jpg

Steve
28th September 08, 01:33 PM
Where's Harvey?

GTFO.

sochin101
28th September 08, 03:40 PM
Got a rod and reel for free (7/8 weight rod) and I've picked up all the necisary supplies. Started practicing my cast in the yard and i'm getting pretty decent at it. I'm going to be going after mostly smallmouths, largemouths and panfish. Anyone else here fly fish and have some wisdom to impart?
The only wisdom I have to impart is... take some lessons.
If you don't have anyone to teach you, it's worth paying someone to show you the basics so you can forget about mechanics and enjoy whipping the water to a foam with a piece of fluff on a hook. Awesome.

Wait, I do have a piece of fishing wisdom:
There's no such thing as bad weather... there's only the wrong clothing.

Shawarma
28th September 08, 04:32 PM
I suggest trading in your rod for a spear and mask and go hunting plaice off the coast. My summer hollidays just fly by with my spear and mask.

WarPhalange
28th September 08, 07:38 PM
lol @ this being in the sports section

Steve
28th September 08, 08:41 PM
It's better than golf, IMO.

WarPhalange
28th September 08, 09:40 PM
Only because the goal is to kill something.

Sadist.

Steve
28th September 08, 09:59 PM
Now you GTFO.

I'm sure there have been more people killed golfing than fly fishing.

WarPhalange
29th September 08, 12:38 AM
They knew the risk when they picked up the club.

Japuma
29th September 08, 09:53 AM
The only wisdom I have to impart is... take some lessons.
If you don't have anyone to teach you, it's worth paying someone to show you the basics so you can forget about mechanics and enjoy whipping the water to a foam with a piece of fluff on a hook. Awesome.

Wait, I do have a piece of fishing wisdom:
There's no such thing as bad weather... there's only the wrong clothing.

Yeah, I have a buddy who is really in to it so he's shown me a couple of things. Like i said I'm getting decent at the normal overhead cast, profecent at the roll cast and starting to work on some hauls. I've allways fished with a spinning rig so I'm allready to go with waders and all that good stuff. Mostly I plan on going after some smallies and maybe some steelhead up north this winter.

Only because the goal is to kill something.

Sadist.

Catch and release, bitch....

Shawarma
29th September 08, 01:52 PM
Does anyone actually ever release what they catch unless there happens to be a game warden standing next to them?

sochin101
29th September 08, 02:03 PM
Does anyone actually ever release what they catch unless there happens to be a game warden standing next to them?
I've fished at a place that expected you to take home everything you caught... and charged you by the fish.
It was full-on bizarro world trying to slip small rainbow trout back into the lake while my fishing buddy tried to distract the baliff.

Japuma
29th September 08, 02:22 PM

Yeah, most of my fishing I do is catch and release. Not because i have to but who the hell wants to keep a bass? I do occasional keep a trout or bluegill, but thats during camp and only for food purposes. I don't have an objection to people that do catch and keep, but I figure that if I throw the big one back it going to be there for me or someone else to enjoy some other time.

WarPhalange
29th September 08, 05:43 PM
Catch and release, bitch....

Oh, sure, pierce its lip and drag it by the lip, take it out of the water so it can't breathe, have a big grin on your face and throw it back so you can do it again. That's much better.

sochin101
29th September 08, 06:02 PM
Oh, sure, pierce its lip and drag it by the lip, take it out of the water so it can't breathe, have a big grin on your face and throw it back so you can do it again. That's much better.Piercings, asphyxiation, a glistening body flopping about helplessly...
Isn't that a quiet weekend for Reese?

WarPhalange
29th September 08, 06:10 PM
That's only because he has a thing for deaf girls.