PDA

View Full Version : NHL SEASON 2008/09

OZZ
24th September 08, 10:08 AM
HOORAY FOR HOCKEY !!
God, I can't wait for hockey to start again..I get really antsy this time of year.
Long-suffering Leaf fans will keep suffering by the looks of things while the Red Wings look like contenders yet again, that organization is doing something right, that's for sure.
Anyways, I know the drop of the puck for the regular season is still almost a month away. But I thought I would get the discusiion thread up in good time.
Hell, its always a good time to talk about the world's greatest game!!
GO FLYERS!!

OZZ
17th October 08, 12:23 PM
Anyone watching yet?
Christ, where's Cracky and the other Canadians? We need some discussion here, I know Americans are too tied up in MLB playoffs and the NFL right now..
My team is off to an 0-4 start and I'm pissed!!

Feryk
17th October 08, 01:39 PM
Edmonton will pwn the division...but get owned by Detroit.

So sayeth the fanboy.

As for the flyers, they'll get better. Worse isn't really possible.

The Pens - Caps game was impressive yesterday. Looks like a real rivalry starting up there. Ovechkin gunning for Malkin was hilarious.

OZZ
17th October 08, 02:26 PM
I missed that game..
The whole Crosby-Ovechkin thing is really heating things up when those two teams play.
Montreal is looking good too.

Dagon Akujin
17th October 08, 08:38 PM
For those of you who do care, however, Mike Illich goes to my church and will be bringing the Stanley Cup up there. That guy has a billion dollars, and horrible hair.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/9/l_41eb24acab1c47b08d16ec38cf25fefb.jpg

OZZ
6th November 08, 10:29 PM
Thought I would put this article up..everyone always likes to debate fighting in Hockey.
Hockey is still the only sport wherer a player is NOT automatically ejected for fighting during the game.
Peopl;e who have never played the game just don't get how ingrained fighting really is within the aspect of the game.
Even in everyday pick up games at community rinks throughout the country, it is not uncommon to see two guys duke it out in a rec league game, run into each other in the hallway between dressing rooms after the game and very casually tap one another on the shoulder and say "nice tossin' ". I have sat and drank beer with guys I have squared off with just 15 minutes prior on the ice on a few occassions. Just the way it is.
Goonery and cheap shots have no place, neither does targetting guys for injury. But protecting the stars and injecting the team with a bit of energy by stepping up to another team's policeman is all good.

Best Hockey Fighters For The Buck
By Peter J. Schwartz, Forbes.com
Oct 30, 19:32 EDT

In the National Hockey League, top goal scorers like Alexander Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby and Vincent Lecavalier bring spectators to their feet with blazing speed and dazzling moves.

They also make it possible for their teams to land bigger profits by drawing fans to the arena and challenging for the Stanley Cup. But these players wouldn’t be as good without their enforcers – tough guys who typically don’t score much but are willing to pummel anyone who dares to get rough.

Enforcers have a long tradition in the league. Bob Probert helped the Detroit Red Wings regain prominence after 14 straight losing seasons by dishing out punishment to anyone who took liberties with Steve Yzerman. Ditto for the Philadelphia Flyers’ Dave “The Hammer” Schultz, who protected Bobby Clarke in the mid-1970s as the team won two Stanley Cups. The Edmonton Oilers used Dave Semenko as their policeman in the mid-1980s to keep Wayne Gretzky safe as the Oilers captured their first two championships.

Says Lacavalier, a three-time All-Star who led the Tampa Bay Lighting in points last season: “We need [fighters]. If there weren’t fights, players wouldn’t be accountable for their actions.” With NHL payrolls capped at 57 percent of revenue, having an inexpensive enforcer enables teams to spend more money on skilled players.

The Lightning recently signed Lecavalier to an 11-year, $85 million contract extension. But he’s off to a slow start through seven games this season, and the Lightning sit in last place after free-agent enforcer David Koci was unable to fill the void left by the off-season departure of Lecavalier’s longtime bodyguard Andre Roy and was cut by the team earlier this month.

To determine the best fighters for the buck, we compared player fighting stats since the start of the 2006-07 season to their pay last year. Since a game’s momentum usually swings to the team whose player prevails in a fight, we awarded a bonus for each win and subtracted points for each loss, as determined by fan voting at hockeyfights.com, an online Mecca for pugilism at the rink.

When comparing salaries, we took experience into account by contrasting a player’s pay with a pool of enforcers that have similar longevity in the league, since younger players have pay-limits set by the NHL. Only the 15 players currently active on NHL rosters who dropped their gloves 20 or more times while playing in at least half their team’s games over the past two seasons were included in our ranking.

The best fighter for the money is Colton Orr of the New York Rangers. Orr fought 34 times during the past two seasons (the most in the Eastern Conference), winning 21 of them (tops in the NHL). His $525,000 salary last year was only $50,000 above the league minimum, 9 percent less than the average of other enforcers who have qualified for restricted free agency.

Georges Laraque of the Montreal Canadiens ranks second, despite being hockey’s highest-paid enforcer last year, earning $1.3 million playing for Pittsburgh. Reason: If there was a heavyweight title for hockey fighting, the belt would be around his waist. Laraque holds a record of 19 wins, zero losses and two draws over the past two seasons, while commonly dropping the gloves against hockey’s premier fighters.

Some enforcers can do more than fight. Colorado Avalanche forward Ian Laperriere, ranked 11th on our list, racked up 48 points over the last two seasons while fighting 37 times.

Coming out of the lockout that canceled the 2004-05 season, the league marketed itself as “The New NHL,” which among other changes, meant a commitment to reduce fighting. Hockey fights dropped from 789 in the season before the lockout to 466 during the 2005-06 season. But last season the number of fights increased 33 percent, to 664, and is on pace to reach 879 this year.

It seems that the NHL now recognizes this trend and fighting’s place in the game. The league recently reversed course, deciding to show video clips of fights on their Web site for the first time, and it expects fans to continue doing the same on outside sites. Says Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis, “It’s like oxygen, get used to it.”

The top five:

1. Colton Orr, New York Rangers: Slideshow
2. Georges Laraque, Montreal Canadiens: Slideshow
3. Shawn Thornton, Boston Bruins: Slideshow
4. Donald Brashear, Washington Capitals: Slideshow
5. Andrew Peters, Buffalo Sabres: Slideshow

Personally..I rank Colton Orr below Big George.

Tanhalen21
6th November 08, 10:48 PM
xpwB8LFjrns

OZZ
8th November 08, 06:32 PM
Funny that you chose that one clip of South park to put up..because Russel Crowe just happens to be in one of the worst hockey movies ever made -MYSTERY, ALASKA. A Disney flick about a group of unknown players who take on the New York Rangers in a game of shinny..
A terrible movie and an insult to Canadian hockey fans. This film was made (of course) when Disney still owned the Anaheim franchise, then known as the 'Mighty' Ducks (which Disney also made 3 movies around ). But now they are just the 'Ducks'.
Which is so much better, oh yes, it is..

Feryk
10th November 08, 05:35 PM
Hate to tell you, but the Mystery Alaska movie was based on reality. The Rangers really did fly up there and play the local team in a game of shinny. I do believe they actually DID lose, as well.

I found myself wanting to see Little Richard eat a slap shot watching that piece of garbage, however.

OZZ
10th November 08, 11:11 PM
I did not know that..fuck, that's too weird.
Terrible movie though,regardless. Even 'Youngblood" is better than that movie, and its got Rob Lowe in it.

Feryk
12th November 08, 10:58 AM
Nothing more comical than watching Rob Lowe learning to pull a jersey over someone's head in order to become a 'fighter'.

Fuck that's comedy gold, right there.

Of course, none of this compares to the holiest of holies - Slapshot.

'Hey Hanrahan! Suzanne sucks pussy! I know! I know!'

OZZ
27th November 08, 11:27 AM
Well, the Flyers are finally rolling along and playing the way they should ..they have won 5 in a row and are set to square off with the hapless leafs on Saturday night in Toronto on HNIC.
Hope they demolish them..how much you wanna bet the Leafs call up a goon from the minors for this one? The way other teams have been pushing them around lately, they had better get some muscle soon.

All this Brian Burke - Toronto shit is really annoying. When you live in this region of Southwestern Ontario you get bombarded with non stop Maple Leaf coverage and it gets nauseating..especially when they are such a shitty team and their fans are among the most delusional in all of hockey.
Yeah, Burke will ride in on his white horse and save the Leafs organization, a perpetual loser franchise which has some of the most loyal (if not completely stupefied) fans in hockey and plays in a city that could probably support THREE NHL clubs.
Last time the Leafs won a cup there were only 6 teams in the league. They have never won it in the 'real' NHL and yet they receive so much media attention you would think Toronto was the centre of the universe..
Oh, wait. I forgot. IT IS!!

Feryk
1st December 08, 12:41 PM
All this Brian Burke - Toronto shit is really annoying. When you live in this region ANYWHERE IN CANADA you get bombarded with non stop Maple Leaf coverage and it gets nauseating..especially when they are such a shitty team and their fans are among the most delusional in all of hockey.
Yeah, Burke will ride in on his white horse and save the Leafs organization, a perpetual loser franchise which has some of the most loyal (if not completely stupefied) fans in hockey and plays in a city that could probably support THREE NHL clubs.
Last time the Leafs won a cup there were only 6 teams in the league. They have never won it in the 'real' NHL and yet they receive so much media attention you would think Toronto was the centre of the universe..
Oh, wait. I forgot. IT IS!!

Fuck, I live 1500 miles away...and I get sick of the Leafs talk. Burke will be the latest in a long line of disappointments for the franchise and fans. Wendell Clark was the last, best Leaf worth watching. However, I shudder to think what would happen if the Leafs actually won a Stanley Cup. Toronto would just be so damn smug, the rest of Canada would have to invade.

OZZ
14th December 08, 07:34 PM
The Dallas Stars have done what amny hockey fans hoped they would _ they have sent Sean Avery packing.
After making derogatory comments regarding Dion Phaneuf's choice of Girlfriend (Avery's ex) and repeated warnings for on and off ice antics, Sean Avery gas served his suspension, but the Dallas Stars no longer want him on their team.
And who can blame them? This guy has absolutely no class and he woulbe an ebarassment to any organization that publicly backed him in any fashion. Too bad, because he is a good hockey player...
But some men just don't know have class.
I am sure at some point another team will take a chance with him because he does have skills and the ability to turn a game around the way , for instance, Claude Lemieux was able to. But I hope he wallows in the minors for at least the remainder of this season. Mybe he will learn some manners.
But I doubt it..

CBC Sports

Sean Avery will no longer wear a Dallas Stars jersey, the NHL said through a news release Sunday.
(Tony Gutierrez/Canadian Press)

Stars boot outspoken Avery

14/12/2008 3:28:46 PM

Forward Sean Avery was eligible to return to practice with the Dallas Stars Sunday but instead was told he is no longer welcome.

The National Hockey League team parted ways with the outspoken Avery, whose six-game suspension for inappropriate behaviour ended following a 3-0 loss to Nashville on Saturday night.

"All parties said there is a clear understanding that a return to the Stars is not in the best interest of either the hockey club or Avery," the Stars said in a news release.

The team also noted it would continue to support Avery during this "critical time."

"The message here is: no distractions," Stars co-general manager Brett Hull said in a statement. "Sean can focus on resolving his personal issues and the Stars will have closure on this episode. The team needs to put its energies into winning."

Hull and Avery were once teammates with the Detroit Red Wings and the former was integral in bringing Avery to Dallas over the summer.

"I thought [Sean] could bring a little bit of a change in our locker-room and on the ice which I thought was missing," Hull said later in a conference call. "Obviously, it went overboard and didn't work out."

Hull added the entire Avery situation could be summed up as simply a player not wanting to follow team rules.

"I honestly believe the issues that Sean had ... were kind of brought on by himself," he said. "It's a two-way street. Sure, you have to be accepted but you have to do everything you can to be accepted as well. It was just a bad situation."

Details of Avery's departure from Dallas still must be worked out, but the team has three choices:

- Place him on waivers and send him to a European league or the minors, likely an American Hockey League team. But to assign Avery to a European club, the Stars would need his permission.

- Put him on waivers, send him to the minors and bring him back on re-entry waivers.

- Send him to the minors for the balance of the NHL season and on July 1, put him on waivers for the purpose of buying two-thirds of his remaining contract at double the term.

A trade seems unlikely, given the 28-year-old Avery would come with baggage and is owed $3.8 million over the next three seasons. Dallas said it would not challenge the conduct clause in Avery's guaranteed four-year, $15.5-million US contract signed in the summer.

The NHL threw the book at him on Dec. 5, barring Avery six games, without pay, for comments made during Dallas' recent visit to Calgary.

At the time of his six-game suspension, Avery agreed to seek a professional anger management evaluation, and, if necessary, structured counselling in response to what the league says is a pattern of unacceptable and antisocial behaviour.

The Stars said they will explore any options for Avery's future that are consistent with the anger management counselling he's receiving.

Hull said Avery is in a 10-day, voluntary program that could be extended if counsellors determine he needs a longer stay.

Avery's agent and publicist did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

"We don't want to ruin Sean or his career. We want him to get better," Hull said. "The team needs to move on and start winning and he needs to take care of himself. As a hockey player, I think there's no question he can be an asset.

"That said, he's got to fix the demons he has. It becomes such a huge distraction that it almost takes away from his ability to play the game."

Avery, a Toronto-area native, was initially suspended two days earlier, pending a hearing with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, after distasteful remarks made to reporters. Among other things, Avery said he couldn't understand why NHL players keep falling in love with his former girlfriends.

Avery's comment, made prior to the Stars' 3-1 win over the Flames on Dec. 2, was directed toward Calgary defenceman Dion Phaneuf and his girlfriend, Canadian actress Elisha Cuthbert, who at one time dated Avery.

Avery also once dated Auckland-born model and actress Rachel Hunter, the current girlfriend of Los Angeles Kings centre Jarret Stoll.

One thing that became fairly clear after Avery made his comments on Dec. 2 was that he had lost the faith of the organization. Stars owner Tom Hicks called him a "troubled young man" while head coach Dave Tippett and several players made it clear they didn't want him back in the dressing room.

Avery was eligible to return for Dallas' game against the visiting Phoenix Coyotes on Tuesday.

The Stars were Avery's fourth NHL team and at least the second where things ended badly. The Los Angeles Kings sent him home midway through the 2006-07 season before trading him to the New York Rangers.

Also Sunday, Dallas acquired forward Brian Sutherby from the Anaheim Ducks for U.S. college player David McIntyre and a conditional 2010 sixth-round draft pick.

The club also re-assigned defenceman Dan Jancevski to the AHL's Hamilton Bulldogs.

Sutherby had three goals and three assists with Anaheim this season. The six-foot-three, 209-pound centre has appeared in 321 career NHL games with Washington and Anaheim, recording 68 points (29 goals, 39 assists).

McIntyre is competing in his junior season at Colgate University of the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference. The five-foot-11, 190-pound forward has a team-leading 12 points in 14 games.

With files from the Associated Press

Feryk
18th December 08, 01:21 PM
Avery is a piece of shit. He can play, but at this point, that doesn't really matter anymore. Glad he's done. I'm sure he'll be back in the NHL at some point, but really, he needs a shrink.

OZZ
13th January 09, 10:22 PM
Just wanted to put this up..and I have to say, I LOVE it. Fuck Phoenix, what a stupid place for a Hockey team. I don't care if Gretzky sold out and is living his Amercan dream through co- owning a franchise. Fuck him and fuck the team. I hope they re locate to Hamilton.
Anyways, I predict they are out of Arizona witin 2 years.

an article by DAVID SHOALTS of the Sun,

The NHL is providing financial assistance to keep the Phoenix Coyotes alive in the form of advances on the franchise's share of league revenue, according to a source at the league board of governors level.

Bill Daly, deputy commissioner of the NHL, did not directly confirm or deny the Coyotes are receiving money. But he did say in an e-mail message that "advances on league distributions are not unusual."

One league governor said he is "99.9-per-cent sure" NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has approved providing funds to the financially devastated team, with the permission of the governors' executive and finance committees. That permission is needed if the NHL wants to loan one team money that technically belongs to the other 29 teams.

A second NHL governor said the league can provide a team financial assistance without the governors' unanimous approval as long as it is in form of an advance on shared revenue. This could include broadcast income, as well as revenue-sharing payments from other NHL teams that is usually paid out at the end of a season. The Ottawa Senators regularly received such assistance before Eugene Melnyk bought the team from Rod Bryden in 2003.

Wayne Gretzky's Phoenix Coyotes have a bigger battle to fight off the ice than on it.

Two additional NHL owners said yesterday they were not aware the league was helping the team meet its player payroll obligations. But, one of the owners said, "I have heard it is bad in Phoenix."

It appears the league is now the only benefactor to which the Coyotes can turn.

Financial documents obtained by The Globe and Mail show the team has pledged the franchise and all its assets, including all forms of revenue (with the possible exception of arena-naming rights), as collateral for loans from New York company SOF Investments LP.

SOF Investments is a subsidiary of the MSD Capital hedge fund, which is controlled by computer tycoon Michael Dell.

Team owner Jerry Moyes has been ensuring the Coyotes cover their losses, which are expected to be more than $30-million (all currency U.S.) this season, and as much as $200-million since he and former partner Steve Ellman bought the team in 2001.

But Moyes's chief business, Swift Transportation, is in severe financial difficulty. It was hit by the economic downturn that crippled many trucking companies, which calls into question his ability to fund any hockey losses.

One source familiar with the Coyotes' loans said their collateral covers an obligation of about $80-million to SOF Investments.

The value of the franchise is not clear. Moyes and Ellman paid $120-million for the team and the league argues even its poorest franchises are worth almost $200-million. Last October, Forbes magazine said the Coyotes were worth $142-million, lowest in the NHL.

Daly said the Coyotes' pledge of all their assets and revenue is not a concern to the NHL.

"Secured lenders grab as much as they can — for the amount of their loan," Daly wrote in an e-mail. "The only relevant issue is whether the club is worth more than the secured loan. We have policies that regulate that.

"We have no doubt that the Coyotes' secured loan is more than covered by the value of the franchise."

A third source said the Coyotes have already approached the city of Glendale about renegotiating their 30-year lease at Jobing.com Arena. While the lease does give the team most of the revenue from the arena operations, there are items such as parking in which the city takes money from the Coyotes.

The only way the team can break its lease and relocate is by declaring bankruptcy.

Coyotes chief executive officer and league governor Jeff Shumway did not respond to requests for comment. But he told ESPN.com yesterday that "everybody agrees that we need to find a solution that works for both of us" concerning the lease.

Glendale city manager Ed Beasley did not respond to several requests for comment.

Beasley's spokeswoman, Julie Frisconi, refused to confirm if the Coyotes and the city have discussed the lease.

"Anything we are discussing are private matters until they become public," Frisconi said. "I couldn't confirm this is happening. It is not on the radar at this point that the team will go bankrupt."

If the Coyotes do collapse, it would be a major embarrassment to Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs. Under her leadership, the city has aggressively pursued professional sports teams and events. In addition to landing the Arizona Cardinals of the NFL by building a football stadium, the city covered $180-million of the $220-million price tag of Jobing.com Arena.

But the Coyotes have struggled to draw fans since they moved to Glendale, on the opposite side of Phoenix from their wealthy fan base in Scottsdale.

The league says it is helping Moyes to find other investors — but sources in the banking and NHL communities doubt one can be found who is willing to keep the team in Glendale.

The Coyotes began borrowing money from SOF in 2003, and increased its collateral in succeeding years, according to documents obtained by The Globe and Mail. According to a Uniform Commercial Code financing statement filed with the state of Delaware, the Coyotes pledged everything from ticket revenue, broadcast revenue, concessions, future NHL expansion payments, player contracts, insurance policies, arena revenue and merchandise sales as collateral.

A series of financing statements were filed over the years as the Coyotes continued their relationship with SOF. On Jan. 17, 2007, another document contained a single sentence: "The collateral consists of all assets of the debtor."

The timing of that document suggests the Coyotes increased their loan from SOF in order to pay off one to another New York hedge fund, Fortress Credit Opportunities LP. On Jan. 16, 2007, a document was filed that terminated the relationship between the Coyotes and Fortress.

In a statement filed on Nov. 6, 2008, which extended the loan from SOF until Dec. 29, 2013, almost all of the Coyotes' assets were listed as collateral. The arena-naming rights were excluded as long as the Coyotes met the terms of their loan.

The only other notable exclusion is the contract of managing partner and head coach Wayne Gretzky. But a source familiar with lending laws said it is not unusual because it is a personal-services contract, which cannot be used as collateral.

Feryk
14th January 09, 04:28 PM
Doesn't Gretz own a big part of that team?

Also, isn't a LOT of his net worth tied up in Real Estate in California and Arizona?

He might be in a bunch of shit all by himself.

OZZ
14th January 09, 11:15 PM
Doesn't Gretz own a big part of that team?

Also, isn't a LOT of his net worth tied up in Real Estate in California and Arizona?

He might be in a bunch of shit all by himself.

Actually, I think his share is modest at around 20 - 30% , but he took a salary cut recently along with just about everyone else except the players and the NHL is carrying that franchise all the way.
I hope they relocate.

Feryk
15th January 09, 07:08 PM
He might only own 20% of the franchise, but how much of HIS net worth is that? If it's worth $250M for an NHL Franchise, then Gretz may lose $50million. On top of his real estate losses.

Not a good day for him, no matter how you slice it.

OZZ
15th January 09, 08:10 PM
I guess things really are tough all over...
I am ambivalenmt about Wayne.He's a national hero and icon, but he really has sold out the same way Lemieux, Orr, Messier, Esposito etc. etc. all did to the US dollar.I love him but I hate him too..
That's one thing you can say about Patrick Roy (even though I don't like him) he may be an arrogant prick, but he is a Quebecois through and through.
Too bad he's a separatist prick.

Feryk
16th January 09, 01:12 PM
He's just a prick, period. Happened to be one of the greatest goalies of all time, however.

OZZ
11th February 09, 05:40 PM
Since the death of Don Sanderson, fighting in Hockey has been under fire like never before. Rule changes have been implemented in the OHL and the days of fighting without (at the absolute least) getting an automatic game misconduct - may not be too far away at all levels of hockey.
The anti fighting crowd may finally get their way..but, well..here's what one sportswriter thinks about the issue.

Philadelphia Flyers - News: Fighting a Part of NHL Game - 02/11/2009

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rounding up anyone in the NHL who supports a ban on fighting in the sport is as difficult as believing that steroid use didn’t infest major league baseball in the 1990s.

In the aftermath of the seizure suffered by the AHL Phantoms’ Garrett Klotz in a fight and the death of Canadian junior hockey player Don Sanderson after he hit his head on the ice during a fight, there are renewed calls to eliminate fighting from hockey.

If the views of Flyers players, coaches, general manager Paul Holmgren and two other NHL general managers reflect the mood of the league, fighting will stay.

“There’s a place for it,” Holmgren said. “It supplies some kind of release. Hockey is a continuous sport. Things happen at the spur of the moment. At times, it does have an effect on games. I’ve seen games where not a whole lot is going on and I think ‘this game needs a good fight.’”

Hockey is the only one of the four major professional sports that allows fighting. I know, there are occasional fights in baseball and basketball, but they aren’t as accepted or as prevalent as they are in hockey.

As I spoke with hockey people about fighting, it occurred to me that it would be difficult, especially for players, to urge that fighting be dropped. Wouldn’t be macho for them to oppose fighting.

“Intimidation is part of the game,” said Flyers veteran winger Mike Knuble. “It’s ingrained in players. If you going to start (eliminating fighting), you’d have to start at the grassroots level.”

Two themes among those favoring fighting in hockey are: it’s been part of the sport, and it keeps players who try to intimidate opponents honest because they know they’ll be hearing from the tough guys on the opposing team.

“Hockey is a unique game in that we have players of all different sizes, with different skill levels and different degrees of courage,” said Nashville GM David Poile. “Each is carrying a stick, and a stick has always been a great equalizer. Often times, fighting has been a deterrent for people to stay within character. If you talk to the players, (fighting) is more important to them than it is to the fans.”

Flyers captain Mike Richards has been known to try and change the momentum of a game by dropping the gloves. (Getty Images)

Toronto GM Brian Burke said, “When people say to me ‘there’s no fighting in football’ I tell them `this isn’t football.’ There are only two sports that don’t have an out of bounds and permit contact: boxing/mixed martial arts and hockey. I don’t want to see this game without (fighting).”

Flyers assistant coach Jack McIlhargey was an NHL defenseman who had more than his share of fights. He agrees with Burke, saying, “It’s a physical game with a lot of emotion in a closed-in area. We’re a different sport (from the other major sports). That’s why we have a different fan base.

As we spoke at the Skate Zone, McIlhargey was holding a power tool, so I wasn’t about to debate with him.

Burke, a former Flyers farmhand, was Anaheim’s GM when the Ducks won the Stanley Cup two years ago. Those Ducks were a physical bunch. When a team has success as Anaheim did, its NHL rivals tend to copy their styles. But Poile notes that Detroit won last year’s Stanley Cup as more of a finesse team.

Traditionally, fighting has been a gate appeal in minor league hockey, particularly in markets that are new to the sport. Addressing whether fighting is used to sell tickets, Burke said, “If that were the case, then we’d dress five heavyweights instead of one. It’s not to sell tickets, although it is part of what we do.

“There’s less than one fight a game now in the National Hockey League. It’s not at the 1970s level, when there were bench-clearing brawls. You could get in a fight back then just by looking at a guy funny. There was too much fighting then. It was a tactic then. Now, it’s a response more than a tactic.

“Fighting is heavily penalized: you sit for five minutes. It allows players to regulate the level of violence on the ice.”

Said Flyers coach John Stevens: “Hockey is a physical, emotional game. If you take the fighting out of it, it might be more reckless.”
College hockey is a dirtier game. Guys run around like idiots. They do other things to get back at each other instead of dropping the gloves.” - Darroll Powe on comparing the dangers of college hockey to the NHL
When the NHL mandated that players must wear helmets, players who were already in the league could choose not to strap on helmets.

“I played with Kevin McCarthy (a former Flyers defenseman). He was still playing without a helmet. He was experimenting with wearing a helmet and taking it off. I remember him telling me he couldn’t believe the difference when he was along the wall. When he didn’t have a helmet on, guys wouldn’t try to run him through the boards and sticks were down. When he had a helmet on, they were taking more runs at him and sticks seemed to get up a lot more.”

After Klotz suffered his seizure in a fight with Manchester’s Kevin Westgarth, Phantoms coach John Paddock said he opposes “staged fights” just after opening faceoffs. “It’s not part of the game,” Paddock said. “It has nothing to do with hockey. I think it’s a waste of time.”

Holmgren agrees there is more staged fighting, but he says, “It’s usually the heavyweights (who fight).” Holmgren, a feared fighter as a player, also said, “I can’t remember when two guys were fighting for the puck in the corner, got mad and fought.”

A major concern is the size of contemporary NHL heavyweights. Klotz is 6-5, 235 pounds. Westgarth is 6-5, 247. Compared to them, the Flyers’ Riley Cote (6-1, 210) and Arron Asham (5-11, 205) are middleweights. The bigger the players, the more serious damage they can inflict with their fists.

Flyers rookie Darroll Powe played for Princeton. Fighting is not permitted in college hockey. Ask if he could see the NHL without fighting and he says, “Absolutely not. College hockey is a dirtier game. Guys run around like idiots. They do other things to get back at each other instead of dropping the gloves.”

Fighting is on the agenda at the next NHL general managers’ meeting.

“The discussion on the elimination of fighting is going to be short,” Burke said. “The mechanics of fighting are going to be debated: do you have to keep your helmet on, etc…”

Klotz, for his part, plans to continue fighting. “I know the risks,” he said. “I’m willing to take that risk. It’s not very often that a thing like this happens.”

Although the longer I’ve been around hockey, the more I think fighting demeans a great sport, I understand its place. I’d be shocked if the NHL ever forbids fighting, but the league will have to live with the criticism it receives. And the consequences, if there’s ever a fatality.

Please note that the views expressed in this column are not necessarily the views expressed by the Philadelphia Flyers Hockey Club.

Bill Fleischman is a veteran Philadelphia Daily News sportswriter. He was the Flyers' beat reporter for the Daily News in the 1970s, and continued to cover games in later years. A former president of the Professional Hockey Writers and the Philadelphia Sports Writers Associations, Fleischman is co-author of "Bernie, Bernie," the autobiography of Bernie Parent. Fleischman also is co-author of "The Unauthorized NASCAR Fan Guide." Since 1981, he has been an adjunct professor in the University of Delaware journalism program

I have to say I love a good hockey fight and have chucked knuckles in plenty of beer league games over the years only to sit down and share a basket of chicken wings with the same guy after the game. It is part of the sport's culture that people who have never played don't understand.And while it is true that the NHL level players are bigger and stronger than ever before and do some serious damage with their blows unlike anything the game knew in the 70's or 80's, I still think it has a place in the game and should stay.
Besides, we all know what wouold happen if the NHL and the junior affiliates banned fighting. Some dufus would come up with the grand idea of starting up his own hockey league where fighting was allowed and all the goons would go there so the lowest common denominator fans could have something to cheer about.
And the league would be lucky if it lasted as long as the 2nd coming of the WHA did...
We'll just have to wait out this latest storm and see what happens...

Feryk
11th February 09, 05:58 PM
The 'no fighting' crowd is using this tragedy to promote it's point. You would expect them to.

I particularly love the reporter's bias and the way his own slant colours the quotes in the article:

"As I spoke with hockey people about fighting, it occurred to me that it would be difficult, especially for players, to urge that fighting be dropped. Wouldn’t be macho for them to oppose fighting."

Which has the effect of negating anything the quotes players have to say - even though they clearly don't have an issue with fighting.

And:

"As we spoke at the Skate Zone, McIlhargey was holding a power tool, so I wasn’t about to debate with him."

I'm sure because he was being threatened with it.

Fleischman ought to know better than that. It's disappointing that someone who has been around the game as long as he has will sell it out at the drop of a hat.

OZZ
11th February 09, 10:26 PM
Yeah, that was a weird article..I just posted it because I happened to be checking the Flyers homepage and thought it would be easy to cut and paste.
I just want all this shit to go away...the guys know what they are getting in to and as far as I'm concerned its the same as stepping into a Boxing ring. You know the risks..and if you choose to partake, well, no one's forcing you. You can always turtle if someone is beating your brains in, I guess.

Feryk
12th February 09, 10:44 AM
And freak accidents happen all the time in any sport. Some people I know have their kid playing Lacrosse at an Ivy League prep school, and one of his teammates died from a crushed brainstem after some incidental contact. Doesn't look like anything on the video.

We had a guy on our CFL football team get a spinal cord injury, and on the replay, he was barely touched. Even he said it wasn't that hard of a hit, he just couldn't move afterwards.

Neither case caused any kind of a 'ban violence in sport' uproar.

OZZ
12th February 09, 12:58 PM
Which CFL team was that guy on?

Yeah, like I said, I hope this goes away soon and I also hope that no one ever dies again...

Feryk
12th February 09, 03:11 PM
Edmonton Eskimos. James Bell #17.

OZZ
12th February 09, 05:50 PM
Edmonton Eskimos. James Bell #17.

So that's where you live...you aren't kidding when you state on your avatar to 'head north and keep going'.
Great hockey town, eh? I have always been told that if you want to live in Alberta and don't want to be in a cow town - go to Edmonton.Its supposed to be a far better city , culturally speaking. Also, cleaner, nicer people etc.
True?

Feryk
12th February 09, 07:15 PM
I'm biased, but yes. Less congestion and pretension. Calgary is a white collar town, Edmonton is mostly blue collar. People here tend to be pretty down to earth, and we have a beautiful river valley, which is mostly parkland, actually.

We are also very spread out. The city has a footprint that is the same size as Toronto, with only 1 M living in it.

You can see the mountains from Calgary, however, which they are quite happy to blather on about incessantly. They are also insufferable right now because the Flames do not suck. This year. For now.

OZZ
12th February 09, 07:29 PM
A guy I did my undergrad degree with went to University of Alberta for his MA..but I lost touch with him.
That's another thing about Alberta - their university hockey teams are always among the best in the country..both U of A and Calgary have good programs.
I have been to Calgary ,but just for a one hour stopover en route to Vancouver, but yeah, I could see the mountains from the airport windows.
How often do you go to see the Oilers, Feryk?

Feryk
12th February 09, 07:33 PM
It varies from year to year...about 3 - 4 times/year generally.

I have a buddy who has Golds. We go occassionally, and every once in a while, my firm rents a box. Those are fun, but the game is better from my buddy's seats.

I toyed with the idea of getting season's tickets but the cost is prohibitive and I would have to start with shitty seats and work my way up each year (they allow existing ticket holders to switch their seats each year). I may do it in the future, but my kids gotta get through school first.

OZZ
12th February 09, 08:00 PM
I hear you..Leaf tickets are scandalous in price and they are not easy to get either, no matter how poorly they are playing.
I usually get to one or two games a year somewhere in the region..either Toronto, Detroit or Buffalo. Ottawa is too far..
I am hoping that once the Atlanta, Phoenix or Florida franchises finally stop beating their heads against the wall trying to make hockey fly in the South and relocate they will come to Hamilton, because that's only an hour and a half away from London and tickets would be easy to get for the first few years.
There is a lot of opposition to a team coming to Hamilton, though. Especially from both the Maple Leafs and Buffalo Sabres organization's. Bettman is flat out against it too..and the chances of it happening while he is still in charge are not good. But he can't stay around forever, and Hamilton will always be there. Mr. Blackberry Billionaire guy from Kitchener wants a team bad and he's not likely to give up his dream because of Gary Bettman.

Feryk
13th February 09, 12:52 PM
Hamilton could easily support a franchise...fuck Toronto. They are just worried that people would flock to a franchise that hasn't stunk the joint out for 30 years...and they should be.

Japuma
13th February 09, 09:29 PM
hrm... Canadians. C-A-P-S CAPS, CAPS, CAPS!

OZZ
5th March 09, 05:51 PM
Well, the trade deadline came and went with no real blockbusters to speak of..Calgary seems to have been the big winner on the day - if Keenan can get the most out of an uinderperforming Finn named Jokinen. More significantly, thougn, is the fact that Calgary got Leopold back and now have some depth on their blueline, which we all know is a must if you want a deep playoff run.
Philly picked up a bruiser from Phoenix (can't recall his name right now, but he leads the league in fights) but remain a preteder because of their goaltending situation (old story) while the Leafs got rid of Antropov and somehow managed to keep Kaberle..I guess there wasn't as much interest in him as initially thought.
Recchi went to Boston..again, a depth trade. The guy has lots of playoff experience, veteran presence. Good move.
All in all..it was a pretty quiet trade day.With the new economics of the league (salary cap) and the downturn in the economy overall, its hardly surprising, really.
So now begins the stretch drive to the post season..I hope Columbus squeaks in somehow. I like their jerseys and they are the only franchise that has never qualified for the post season. They have been around over ten years now..let's go!!
Anyways, enjoy the next few months of hockey..it doesn't get any better than this! I am headed out to watch my local OHL team tonight..Go Knights Go!!

Feryk
6th March 09, 09:44 AM
Calgary will be the team to beat in the West. The Oilers supposedly traded for some goal scoring, but it looks to me like we just got a couple more mediocre wingers. Last night, we might as well have played the whole game against Ottawa skating backwards.

OZZ
13th March 09, 03:15 PM
Tough loss for the Oilers last night against Atlanta, Feryk...that's 2 points they desperately need and should have had. I hope they squeak in..every season they are forced to play playoff -style hockey for the last month and a half of the season because the conference is so tight and THEN the real playoffs begin.Same goes for Vancouver this year..man, those guys must be aching by the time May rolls around. The Flames have a fair bit of breathing space - and they are lucky to have it - because they started the season off pretty slowly.
Calgary vs. Toronto this Saturday on HNIC, I believe. Look for Calgary to lay an old- fashioned pasting on the buds..
Back to back Philly vs. Rangers Saturday and Sunday - both on stations that I actually get over here in Ontario too, which is cool. I don't get to see my Flyers all that often and get stuck watching the shitty Leafs all the time.
Thank God for the late game from the Western Conference that airs every Saturday evening following the Leafs game.
How about Gainey pulling the trigger on Carbonneau and stepping behind the bench? He'd better have a great showing or he could end up losing his job too.

Feryk
14th March 09, 11:46 AM
Gainey didn't want to launch Carbonneau, but he had no choice. He'll finish out the year as coach, which will give him better insight into 'the room', and then he'll make some wholesale changes. No idea who the new coach will be though.

As for the Oilers, we need our kids to step up like they did this time last year. Cogliano, Gagne, Pouliot, and Nilson all need to be better than they are. Horcoff should give at least half of his salary back. Gilbert and Moreau need to stop making so many mistakes late in the third period. Moreau was bad before his injury, but after he left Gilbert took over from where he left off.

I think they will squeak in, but Edmonton fans are tired of 'squeaking in'. We should be able to build a contender with a rabid fan base, a new owner full of cash, and a salary cap that allows us to go after and get the best players.

OZZ
25th March 09, 04:55 PM
Philly knocked off Jersey the other night. Sweet ! It may just be a regular season victory - but it stopped Brodeur and put a dent in his shield, considering all the fanfare he's been receiving lately.Its also nice to get those two points and show that we are still very much in the hunt for the 4th seed in the Eastern Conference.Bastard Devils !!
Don't get me wrong, I have a tremendous amount of respect for Brodeur and even for the Devil's organization. But they have cause Philly fans an INCREDIBLE amount of misery over the past ten years or so. We could have had two more Stanley Cups in that time if it were not for them..I hate them with a passion- but I still have a great amount of respect for Lou L'Amoriello and the staff of that franchise.
We are geting hot at just the right time..I hope it carries over into the post season and we get some consistent goaltending.
Edmonton lost last night ..I was watching that game, Detroit can NEVER be counted out. Even with a minute left in the third..that was one hell of an ending. Too bad, but they have been playing well lately and they are going to make it in to the post season. If Roloson gets hot like he was back a couple of years ago -who knows what could happen?

Feryk
31st March 09, 11:23 AM
Edmonton has now tanked, and is in 10th place in the west. Giant facepalm for MacT and Kevin Lowe. Too bad, they actually got my hopes of finishing better than 8th up for a while. If we were able to keep rolling 6th was in sight. Now, I'll settle for making the first round, so we can be destroyed by San Jose.

OZZ
12th April 09, 06:43 PM
Okay, the real season starts this week. Boston vs. Montreal in the first round -that should be sweet.
Who will upset Detroit?
Will Philly beat the Pens?

Let's Go!!

OZZ
29th April 09, 10:38 AM
Philly's out..again.

Rangers got upset too!! That's good. I hate the Rangers.

Vancouver is Canada's only team to advance to the 2nd round...

FickleFingerOfFate
29th April 09, 10:55 AM
Who will upset Detroit?

Dream on...

OZZ
29th April 09, 10:57 AM
Dream on...

He says after not posting the WHOLE GODDAMN YEAR!!

FickleFingerOfFate
29th April 09, 11:00 AM
He says after not posting the WHOLE GODDAMN YEAR!!

When defending the Stanley Cup,

trash talk is unnecessary.

OZZ
10th May 09, 05:42 PM
Well..things are grim right now as far as my own wishes for the coolest game on earth..
Canada lost 2-1 in the Gold Medal game to our # 1 rival for world supremacy - Russia. Even though we don't have our top squad over there for this tournament due to the NHL playoffs - we still expect Gold. Anything else is failure.
Mind you, the Russians did not have their 'A' squad there either..Ovechkin and Khabibulin are still playing in North America right now too, so we can't really whine about that.But it would have been nice to have Crosby, Staal and Pronger there.
As fo the playoffs, Vancouver had better get it together, they have to win two in a row now to take the series from the Blackhawks.
Red Wings still look dominant..hell, are they ever going to look old? That organization impresses me with their aptitiude in being able to draft and integrate youth while at the same time maintaining an experienced core of skilled players who can keep winning while showing the young drafts and/or acquisitons the ropes.
Gotta hand it to them. The only thing I don't like about them is their anti fighting stance (only had 6 fighting majors all YEAR..that's WAAAY too far removed from the days of Bob Probert and Joe Kocur).
The Washington - Pittsburgh Series has been great hockey ..the most exciting series of this round. Tough, lots of skilled play and just enough animosity to make things interesting. A 17 year old Washington teenager was caught making death threats against Ovechkin on a message board. The police let him off with a warning lol.

Detroit - Washington final? Does Boston still have a chance, or are they getting worn down by Carolina ?

Hockey Rocks !! Too bad about the Silver medal finish in Switzerland, but the IIHF tournament is so overshadowed by the playoffs, nobody seems to take notice until a month from now anyways.

Japuma
12th May 09, 03:01 AM
Caps - Pens go to a game 7 on Wed. night in DC... LETS GO CAPS!

OZZ
12th May 09, 10:26 AM
YES !! I am cheering for the Caps too - since the Pens beat out my team.
The Vancouver - Chicago game was unreal last night...who would have thought Luongo would give up 7 goals in a crucial game?
The broken stick incident probably cost the Canucks the game. Those stupid composite sticks are breaking all the time..good old fashioned wood is the way to go if you ask me.

Feryk
13th May 09, 03:19 PM
Bobby Lu caved at the exact wrong time. Sucks for him and the twins, but I'm happy. I'd love to see Chicago come out of the west with a big FUCK YOU to everyone else.

Japuma
13th May 09, 07:44 PM
FUCK! GODDAMN SON OF A COCKSUCKING SLUT WHORE BITCH ASS COCK BALLS!

Feryk
14th May 09, 12:35 PM
You really need to spend some time getting in touch with your inner feelings, man. You are way too repressed. ;)

Japuma
14th May 09, 02:53 PM
You really need to spend some time getting in touch with your inner feelings, man. You are way too repressed. ;)

Being a DC area sports fan you'd think I would be used to this kind of thing, but it gets me everytime.

OZZ
14th May 09, 05:51 PM
Tough loss, man..
Here's a summary for those interested :

Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin shake hands following the competitive seven-game series
(photo by Getty)

ESSENTIALS

What Worked Well: Breaking Varlamov
Capitals goaltender Simeon Varlamov has been phenomenal between the pipes for Washington this postseason. He has consistently frustrated the Penguins by smothering great scoring chances all series. But Pittsburgh broke through with four goals in the first 22 minutes of the game and ended the rookie goaltender’s night early. Washington never recovered from the early letdown.

What Could Have Gone Better: Nothing
It’s kind of hard to find any negatives from a Game 7 when the Penguins were completely dominant. Pittsburgh jumped out to a 5-0 lead halfway through the game and cruised to a comfortable 6-2 victory to eliminate the Washington Capitals.

DIFFERENCE MAKER

Big time players have to come through for their team on a big stage. Sidney Crosby took care of business for the Penguins, scoring two power-play goals and adding an assist for a three-point night to help Pittsburgh advance to its second consecutive Eastern Conference Finals appearance. Crosby was the best player on the ice in one of the biggest games of his career. He always seems to find a way to elevate his play when his team needs it the most.

HONORABLE MENTION: Sergei Gonchar ignored an injury and suited up for the Penguins in their most critical game of the season. He assisted on the team’s first goal and logged 15-plus minutes of ice time.

SCORING SYNOPSIS

The Penguins buried a power-play goal 13 minutes into the first period to gain an early lead. Sergei Gonchar ripped a shot-pass towards the Washington goal from the midpoint. The puck deflected to the left of the net where Sidney Crosby kicked it to his stick and lifted a shot into the goal. Pittsburgh 1, Washington 0.

Pittsburgh struck again just eight seconds after its first goal to take a two-score lead – the second fastest goals scored in team postseason history. Ruslan Fedotenko stole the puck above the far circle and made a cross-ice pass to Craig Adams, who was streaking down the slot. Adams had Maxime Talbot on a two-on-one but opted to send a shot through Capitals goaltender Simeon Varlamov’s five-hole for his first career postseason tally. Pittsburgh 2, Washington 0.

Pittsburgh added to its lead just 32 seconds into the second period. Bill Guerin started the play and ended it with a goal. In his own zone he collected the puck and sprang Crosby up the ice. Crosby entered the zone and pulled up at the far circle. Chris Kunitz drove to the net, drawing in the Washington defense. Crosby hit Guerin, the trailer on the play. Guerin one-timed a shot far side for the score. Pittsburgh 3, Washington 0.

The Penguins connected for their fourth goal just two minutes into the second frame. Evgeni Malkin had the puck at the near wall in the neutral zone. He flung a cross-ice pass to Kris Letang. The young blueliner laid into a slap shot that streaked over the left shoulder of Varlamov. The Capitals pulled the rookie netminder at that point. Pittsburgh 4, Washington 0.

New goaltender, same result. The Penguins upped their lead to 5-0 halfway through the second period. Miroslav Satan had the puck below the near goal line. His centering pass was drilled into the net by Jordan Staal from atop the crease. Pittsburgh 5, Washington 0.

The Capitals broke Marc-Andre Fleury’s shutout bid with a score towards the end of the second period. Fleury tried to the play the puck behind the net. However, Alex Ovechkin intercepted his attempted pass and slid a wraparound shot across the goal line. Pittsburgh 5, Washington 1.

Crosby drew a four-minute double-minor high sticking penalty on Brooks Laich in the third period. The Capitals used Ovechkin on their penalty killing unit and it backfired. Ovechkin lost control of the puck in the Penguins zone. Crosby collected the puck and had a breakaway on net. Crosby sent a shot through Jose Theodore’s five-hole for his second goal of the game. Pittsburgh 6, Washington 1.

Washington tallied its second score of the game six minutes into the third period. Tomas Fleischmann drove the puck hard to the Penguins net. His shot was stopped but Laich lifted a backhand shot into the cage. Pittsburgh 6, Washington 2.

INTRIGUING NOTABLES

Penguins defenseman Sergei Gonchar, five days after suffering an ugly knee-on-knee hit from Alex Ovechkin, returned to the lineup for Pittsburgh. Gonchar played through the pain and gave a gutsy performance for his team. The Penguins scratched defenseman Alex Goligoski and forwards Eric Godard, Pascal Dupuis and Petr Sykora.

Early in the first period, goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury made a spectacular save on Ovechkin to keep the game scoreless. Ovechkin sneaked behind the Pittsburgh defense and had a breakaway on goal. Fleury snapped out his glove to catch the puck. If Ovechkin scores there it may be a different game.

Super Star lines:
Sidney Crosby: 2G, 1A, +1, 18:59 minutes, 3 shots
Alex Ovechkin: 1G, -1, 22:29 minutes, 3 shots, 5 hits
Evgeni Malkin: 2A, 21:53 minutes, 6 shots
Alexander Semin: -2, 20:27 minutes, 2 shots

GAME NOTES

> Pittsburgh won its second-round series against Washington, 4-3, to advance to its second straight Eastern Conference Finals.

> The Penguins are 4-3 on the road in the postseason.

> Head coach Dan Bylsma has a career postseason record of 8-5.

> Scoring Summary:
PIT, S.Crosby PP (11), 12:36 1st period: Penguins 1, Capitals 0
PIT, C.Adams (1), 12:44 1st period: Penguins 2, Capitals 0
PIT, B.Guerin (5), 0:28 2nd period: Penguins 3, Capitals 0
PIT, K.Letang (3), 2:12 2nd period: Penguins 4, Capitals 0
PIT, J.Staal (2), 11:37 2nd period: Penguins 5, Capitals 0
WSH, A.Ovechkin (11), 18:09 2nd period: Penguins 5, Capitals 1
PIT, S.Crosby PP (12), 2:02 3rd period: Penguins 6, Capitals 1
WSH, B.Laich (3), 6:36 3rd period: Penguins 6, Capitals 2

> Pittsburgh scored its first two goals just eight seconds apart – the second fastest mark in the franchise’s postseason history. The fastest occurred on April 13, 1980, vs. Boston when Ron Stackhouse and Rick Kehoe scored seven seconds apart.

> Evgeni Malkin, the NHL’s Art Ross champion, notched two assists and has 19 points in the postseason (6G-13A).

> Sidney Crosby recorded two power-play goals and an assist and has 21 total postseason points (12G-9A). Crosby has 15 points (10G-5A) in his last eight games and has a point in 11 of 13 playoff games.

> Marc-Andre Fleury made 19 saves in the deciding contest.

> Craig Adams scored his first career postseason goal.

> Pittsburgh Steelers chairman Dan Rooney was in Mario Lemieux’s suite to watch the game.

THREE STARS QUOTE OF THE NIGHT

1. S.Crosby, PIT
2. R.Fedotenko, PIT
3. M.Fleury, PIT I’ve never around a series with the drama and the hype and
the skill. This was a great series. I’m sure the people at
the league are happy. It couldn’t have gone any better
for the fans.
- Bill Guerin

OZZ
14th May 09, 06:06 PM
Being a DC area sports fan you'd think I would be used to this kind of thing, but it gets me everytime.

You might as well cheer for Boston now..that will be good game tonight.
Carolina looks like they are out of it mentally, but any team can get up for a Game 7. I like the Canes Captain( Rod Brindamour), but I would rather see the Bruins take that series.
Boston - Detroit Final ?
OR, Even Better:
Chicago - Detroit final ? OOOPS ! Can't happen, same conference.
On a side note:
Forbes magazine states that the Penguins are the fastest 'growing' NHL franchise as far as popularity, revenue, merchandise sales etc. goes
The top 5 are Pittsburgh, Edmonton, Montreal, Caroilna and Buffalo according to Forbes.

FickleFingerOfFate
14th May 09, 06:13 PM
http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp218/CARP77/OctopusStanley.jpg

Japuma
14th May 09, 08:45 PM
You might as well cheer for Boston now..that will be good game tonight.

The only reason i'll be rooting for Boston is because I think they can beat Pittsburg... and all will be ok if Pittsburg doesn't make it to the Finals.

Japuma
27th May 09, 10:49 PM
Hey look! a completely original and interesting finals...

/sarcasm

CannibalCrowley
28th May 09, 07:30 PM
It will end the same way last year's did too.

Japuma
28th May 09, 07:44 PM
That would make me happy

OZZ
29th May 09, 11:20 AM
I hate Finals when I don't want either team to win..
But I'll cheer for the Pens, I guess..even though Detroit will probably take it in 6.

OZZ
29th May 09, 11:27 AM
Oh yeah, for anyone who wants to see a seventh franchise in Canada - check out Balsillie's website - www.makeitseven.com and sign up - he's trying for a quarter million registered and I think he's at around 165,000 so far.
His methods aren't winning him any friends, but his intentions are good.

OZZ
3rd June 09, 03:50 PM
GO PENS GO !!

FickleFingerOfFate
3rd June 09, 06:27 PM
GO PENS GO !!

SUCK IT!,

Suck it long, and suck it hard.

[/SeanConnory]

FickleFingerOfFate
6th June 09, 09:47 PM
RedWings - 5
Penguins -- 0

Brutal beating.

My only regret is that I would have liked them to win the cup @ home.

OZZ
7th June 09, 03:46 PM
Pens win next game..?

FickleFingerOfFate
7th June 09, 03:50 PM
Not if there's a just and benevolent God.

OZZ
7th June 09, 06:18 PM
God Is Omniscient
God is Omnipotent
God Is Omnibenevolent

Yet Evil still exists...(like the Red Wings)

Figure that one out.

FickleFingerOfFate
7th June 09, 06:22 PM
I'm sure that Satan's minions view God as evil as well.

FickleFingerOfFate
11th June 09, 02:16 PM

FickleFingerOfFate
12th June 09, 09:38 PM
In before the haters start gloating...

Mas
12th June 09, 10:09 PM
Was a great game though.

OZZ
13th June 09, 12:14 AM
That was the most exciting final minute of hockey in the Cup Final in many years..Fleury made a spectacular save in the dying seconds to preserve the win.
Detroit falls on home ice..the torch is passed to the youngsters.
Awesome !