PDA

View Full Version : Review: Bridge to Terabithia *SPOILERS*

Sirc
14th September 08, 10:47 PM
Now, I'm not usually a sucker for kid flicks, but this movie piqued my interest after having heard the general storyline from a friend of mine. It really hit a chord in whatever remains of my heart, as when I was very much younger, I had a really close friend of mine who would later die of leukemia at the end of the school year. I've read the book and it made my heart break as I could really relate to it.

Story 8/10

The general story is about Jesse Aarons who's an inspiring artist in middle school. He's the middle child of a lower middle-class family who's sisters are always fighting and he's isolated in his imagination as his father doesn't try to nurture a relationship with him. On the first day of school, he meets Leslie Burke. The archetype of girl that is so innocently perfect and wonderful. She's smart, creative and lives in her own world constantly creating a world to live in. Her family's affluent and pretty much hippies, which isolates her from the rest of those her own age. They form a friendship that only comes once a millennium. As they explore the neighboring lands, they create Terabithia, and play in it as a child would.

The story isn't anything innovative or special, but it's charm and how invested you get definitely makes up for it.

Acting 8/10

Leslie, played by Annasophia Robb and Jesse, played by Josh Hutcherson both do a fantastic job in this movie. Annasophia is heart attackingly adorable and immediately makes you fall in love with the character. Neither one of them suffers from the overacting or inability to act like most child actors do.

Everyone else is above average, except T1000 who plays as Jesse Aaron's father, who does a wonderful job as a supporting character. Everyone associated together helped you become more invested in the characters though, and that makes up for it.

Music 6/10

Nothing too special, but it does really work well together with the movie. I can't say anything stood out and I can't say anything was bad either.

Cinemotography 7/10

Nothing too creative, but it worked perfectly. It loses points in creativity and innovation, but again, makes up for it with being charming and cute.

Overall

Overall, I give this movie a 9/10. This movie reminds me of My Girl. And holds a place in my heart just as such. I can't remember the last time I actually fell in love with a movie instead of just appreciating the awesomeness of it. I got so deeply involved in the movie, it really broke my heart to see Leslie die, even though I knew and was expecting it.

I really recommend that if you have children to have them see this and even if you don't, to watch it.

This has entered in my top 10 movies list.

Sirc
15th September 08, 03:19 AM
Oh and yes, I cried like a little bitch.

Though I had to deny it like Bill Clinton to the blondie.

Equipoise
15th September 08, 09:57 AM
Some other books you might like:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410cocchU1L._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41C3K6Q742L._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51VV3Z71R1L._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

You can find more here:

http://www.amazon.com/Books-for-teen-girls/lm/CC73P1SYM1BZ

KhorneliusPraxx
15th September 08, 10:00 AM
I liked it to! (http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1239423&postcount=51)

mrblackmagic
15th September 08, 10:00 AM
She died of Leukemia? Very different than the book.

Sirc
15th September 08, 12:55 PM
She died of Leukemia? Very different than the book.

The cause of death wasn't the focus. The sense of loss at the same age and tragedy was the point.

new2bjj
15th September 08, 01:45 PM
Watched it with my 8 year old and my wife. Too much wishful thinking in that movie. They were gushing though, so i guess I'm a prick. Oh well.

KhorneliusPraxx
15th September 08, 01:50 PM
I bet I cried harder than they did.

Despite everyone's opinion that I am a careless meany..I am really a big softy.

Sirc
15th September 08, 03:15 PM
Watched it with my 8 year old and my wife. Too much wishful thinking in that movie. They were gushing though, so i guess I'm a prick. Oh well.

The wishful thinking was the charm that makes me love this movie. It really brought back the nostalgia of that childhood wonderment.

new2bjj
15th September 08, 03:55 PM
I just have a few ex childhood friends that kind of lost it in that whole "dream world" thing. The reason that they are ex-friends is that some of them wound up being homeless.

I guess what I am trying to say is that kids should be looking for real life solutions to things like bullies, etc, not an escape.

Sirc
15th September 08, 04:49 PM
They did find solutions though.

I see your point, but the book/movie shows kids how to deal with shit like that in a mature manner and teach them how to cope with loss.