Robot Jesus
14th September 08, 02:50 PM
anyone got good recipes?

looking mostly for seafood

Robot Jesus
14th September 08, 04:16 PM
lets experiment

i got a bunch of oysters,

batter: flour, butter, cornstarch, sake, salt.

dredge and fry

separately saute some red chili pepper, garlic, and ginger. combine toss and top with sliced green onions.

we will find out how well this works in a few hours

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
14th September 08, 04:26 PM
For all their technological inferiority I'm impressed with how well engineered the baozi is compared to our sloppy joe.

The_Tao
14th September 08, 07:37 PM
Ginger onion crab

This is a Southern Chinese recipe
Ingredients:

2-3 crabs
2 tsp salt
4-5 slices ginger root, shredded
2 tbsps soy sauce
1 tbsp chili sauce
2 tbsps dry sherry
2/3 cups chicken stock
5 tbsps oil
2 onion, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
3-4 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 egg, beaten

1. Separate the claws from each crab and crack them open. Place each crab on its back and firmly pull the body, with the legs attached, away from the shell. Remove and discard the grey stomach sac and the grey feathered gills. Cut the body part into 4 pieces and sprinkle with the salt and ginger.

2. Combine the soy sauce, chili sauce, sherry and stock together.

3. Heat the oil in a large pan over high heat. Add the onions and garlic. Stir fry for 30 seconds. Add all the crab pieces including the body shells, and the scallions. Stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until cooked through.

4. Pour the soy sauce mixture over the crab pieces and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Pour the egg into the pan in a thin stream and stir-fry for 30 seconds.

5. Turn the mixture onto a warmed serving dish. Eat by scraping the crab meat out of the main shell and claws. To eat the body, use the legs as handles, while extracting the meat.

The_Tao
14th September 08, 07:39 PM
I have more hold on

sea scallops

1-1/2 cups broccoli flowerets
1 cup thinly sliced onion
2 tablespoons sesame or vegetable oil
1 pound sea scallops
3 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage or bok choy
2 cups snow peas, ends trimmed
1 cup shitake or common mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced 2 teaspoons ground star anise
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 to 3 teaspoons light reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
2 to 3 tablespoons NutraSweet Spoonful
4 cups hot cooked ricePreparation:

Stir-fry broccoli and onion 3 to 4 minutes in oil in wok or large skillet. Add scallops, cabbage, snow peas, mushrooms, garlic, anise and coriander; stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes.

Add chicken broth, vinegar and soy sauce; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until scallops are cooked and vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Heat to boiling.

Mix cornstarch and cold water. Stir cornstarch mixture into boiling mixture; boil, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat; let stand 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in NutraSweet® Spoonful™, serve over rice.

The_Tao
14th September 08, 07:43 PM
Whole fish

1 medium-sized white fleshed whole fish (such as sea bass or red snapper)
Salt
2 stalks scallions
3 or 4 slices ginger
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1. Rinse and drain fish.
2. On both sides of fish, cut deep incisions across width at 3 cm (1") intervals.
3. Sprinkle with salt inside and out.
4. Cut scallions into 2 or 3 sections, then slice lengthways into thin strips. Julienne ginger slices. Insert scallions and ginger into incisions – any excess can be placed inside fish.
5. Place fish in a steamer. Steam on a medium heat for about 10 minutes.
6. Place fish on a serving dish.
7. Mix soy sauce and vinegar and pour over fish.
8. *Remove water from wok. Add oil to wok, heat till sizzling and pour over fish.

I'm done

Robot Jesus
14th September 08, 08:48 PM
when you say broccoli do you mean gi lan or broccoli?

The_Tao
14th September 08, 09:10 PM
Broccoli

Robot Jesus
14th September 08, 09:48 PM
the oysters turned out great, but were a little strong. it would have made a good appetizer.

Halfrican
14th September 08, 09:52 PM
I'm gonna go get some chinese food because of this thread.

EuropIan
15th September 08, 04:48 AM
I swear to god, you guys don't understand that pics are absolutely necessary for food threads

Halfrican
15th September 08, 01:01 PM
The chinese place was closed, so I got mcdonalds instead...

Robot Jesus
15th September 08, 01:27 PM
if anyone is in Alberta, we have the most delicious westernized Chinese dish. Ginger beef.

theres is a chain of restaurant named after it, every table at every restaurant orders a plate. i cannot express either how awesome it is or how it has not spread outside our borders.

pity i don't know how to cook it.

Steve
15th September 08, 01:35 PM
pity i don't know how to cook it.

Google is a wonderful thing... (http://chinesefood.about.com/od/diningout/a/gingerbeef.htm)

Robot Jesus
15th September 08, 03:38 PM
every recipe i try smells right, but never tastes right.

Neildo
15th September 08, 04:03 PM
the ginger beef in vancouver is usually terrible. i think they're disguising some mystery meat with breading and spices and calling it beef. i believe they did the same in alberta (used to live in edmonton).

Halfrican
15th September 08, 04:57 PM
CAshew chicken in springfield MO! The best actually comes from the grocery store Dillon's....I know it sounds weird.

partyboy
15th September 08, 05:13 PM
even though it's probably not chinese, hell it's probably not asian for that matter, but I want a good crab rangoon recipe

http://www.recipetips.com/images/recipe/appetizers_and_snacks/crab_rangoon_2.jpg

EuropIan
16th September 08, 05:57 AM
I would like a kickass recipe for general Tsao's Chicken, please