PDA

View Full Version : Death Magnetic

The_Tao
14th September 08, 11:05 AM
Okay, I caved and bought Metallica's new album "Death Magnetic". Hetfeild is really trying hard to sing like he used to, but it doesn't work. Its like taking Load, and a better album and putting a badass cover on it. It guitar work and length is like old times. I think it will ALMOST make St. Anger forgivable.

that is my take, anyone else have it?

WarPhalange
14th September 08, 11:32 AM
Yes, I just got it yesterday, also by caving and because my mom says she heard a song on the radio that had a "symphonic" part and she wants to figure out what is is, she says it was "my type of music" (she listens to the hard rock stations). I thought maybe it would be some Metallica song from the new album.

I didn't listen to the whole thing yet, just skimmed to see if there's anything like she described. Unforgiven 3 has a violin-ish part but that's probably not it. God, they need to stop milking that song. I think I only listened to three tracks entirely.

"That Was Just Your Life" was kind of decent. They went back to fast and long songs, which is what they were known for in the past. "The Day That Never Comes" is pretty bad, which is why it's on the radio so much I guess. And I think I listened to "The End of the Line", which wasn't very memorable.

Oh, I think I listened to "My Apocalypse", too. The whole time I listened to those I just thought "Arch Enemy already has songs called End of the Line and My Apocalypse. Much better than this garbage."

None of the songs were like their older albums, where you just start it up and you go "Snap..." because it's that good. Hetfield's voice will never be the same and that plays a big role. He'll never be as hoarse and growly as before, and now he's kind of trying to scream more like Tom Araya from Slayer, but it's funny because he's stopping way short of being like Araya and I can't tell if it's because someone else told him not to go too far, if he thought it wouldn't be a good idea, or if he just can't. Either way, all I can think of is Tom Araya giving a half-assed performance when I listen to Hetfield on this album. Bleah.

WarPhalange
14th September 08, 11:32 AM
But yes, the album art is the best part of it. Definitely a cool picture.

Keith
14th September 08, 11:43 AM
Is it worth buying?

WarPhalange
14th September 08, 01:39 PM
If you can find it cheap. Definitely not retail value. Amazon has it for $9. That might be an OK price.

SFGOON
14th September 08, 01:44 PM
Oh how the mighty have fallen. Sort of a shame.

The intro for Damage Inc. should have lasted at least twenty minutes, IMHO. It goes downhill at about 1:0

Neildo
14th September 08, 01:49 PM
i was a pretty big metallica fan back in the day. i'm not touching this shit.

last good album was and justice for all.

WarPhalange
14th September 08, 01:55 PM
I think they really picked up from their last album, but I doubt they'll ever get back to where they were. I didn't expect them to just suddenly go back to Master of Puppets status after 4 shitty albums, so I'm actually surprised that this album is as good as it is.

However, you have to understand what's going on here. They helped pioneer thrash metal, but then fell into pop rock. Now they are trying to get back to their roots. The problem? Their roots are generic riffs by today's standards.

Look at Slayer. Their last album I got was God Hates Us All. I couldn't tell where one song ended and the other began because they all sounded the same. Metallica and Slayer have always been about very simple riffs played really fast.

Megadeth is a whole different story, though. They are 10x more creative than Metallica. Rust In Peace blows away all of Metallica's albums easily. You can actually hear the bass for one. Megadeth fell too and are getting back up again, but I think since Mustaine has always been a better guitarists than either Hetfield or Hammett and more creative, he'll end up getting back to where he was. Although I don't expect another Rust in Peace and neither does he. He said he did a LOT of coke during that album.

jvjim
14th September 08, 02:10 PM
How do you reinvent the sound that produced Ride the Lightening? You can't, that's how.

The_Tao
14th September 08, 03:06 PM
"That was your life" is closer to acceptable than most of thier recent songs, and provided that they DO try for another album, they had better use that as a base.

If Hetfeild tried to mimic Tom Araya I'm decently sure that it would either turn out okay, or completely ruin them ( more than ST. Anger). I think that their time is about up, sadly enough, but who know's? Some musicians continue to write and tour into thier 90's (not any metal though).

I also caved and bought a "Celtic Tribute to Metallica", which isn't half bad.

WarPhalange
14th September 08, 03:10 PM
Metal isn't old enough to have people in their 90's doing it...

Sabbath, Maiden, and Priest were like the first 3 real successful bands and they're still around.

I just listened to "My Apocalypse" and it really does remind me of Araya's singing, just that Araya does it more "screamy" and Hetfield kept the power down. If you listen to older Metallica you'll see that Hetfield always screamed, too, just that his voice was different enough that it sounded good.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
14th September 08, 04:25 PM
So what you're saying is that Hatfield needs to start smoking and it'll save Metallica?

The_Tao
14th September 08, 04:54 PM
Metal isn't old enough to have people in their 90's doing it...

I said musicians, not metal musician, the one I had in mind plays blue graas, but I digress

Cullion
14th September 08, 05:08 PM
Metallica have sucked flaccid, diseased, sugar-daddy cock since the Black Album in 1991.

jvjim
14th September 08, 06:51 PM
Metallica have sucked flaccid, diseased, sugar-daddy cock since the Black Album in 1991.
You take that the fuck back you limp wristed, mutton pie eating, disco listening to homo!

EuropIan
14th September 08, 06:53 PM
it's not that itsn't a melodic rock album, it's just that liking it makes you a poser.

jvjim
14th September 08, 06:55 PM
How long have you like[d] Coldplay Ian?

EuropIan
14th September 08, 07:00 PM
^Total dick
<- Huge poser.

Also, all of coldplay's albums sound like variations of three the radiohead songs they've managed to find tabs for.

And I'm not excited about Radiohead. They're "ok", never great.

The_Tao
14th September 08, 07:21 PM
Liking Metallica does not make you a poser. Claiming to know their good stuff if all you've listened to is MoP does. In my opinion if you haven't listened to all of the albums you shouldn't make such blasphemous comments

EuropIan
14th September 08, 07:30 PM
I'm not sure if I like Metallica.

jvjim
14th September 08, 07:31 PM
I mean, I hate Metallica, I just hate it less the vast majority of other bands. Remember, all music sucks.

WarPhalange
14th September 08, 08:24 PM
Liking Metallica does not make you a poser. Claiming to know their good stuff if all you've listened to is MoP does. In my opinion if you haven't listened to all of the albums you shouldn't make such blasphemous comments

Metallica clearly wrote good songs for and after the black album. They were catchy and people liked them. The problem is that none of it was Metal.

It was like Bob Dylan going electric. Except instead of still playing his shitty songs that everyone loved, he decided to play some glam rock or something. And Metallica also did it because they wanted more money, not because they thought this was their new direction. They sold out. They went to Lollapalooza.

I like "Fuel" from ReLoad, but that's a hard rock song. I mean honestly, they went from songs about cocaine addiction and the thoughts of a man about to be fried in the electric chair to some guy driving around. Oh, and slow ballads.

The_Tao
14th September 08, 09:15 PM
one argument is :

"Well, thats what happens with musicians, that's how you make a living, by selling out, otherwise you don't get big, they play what people want, whats wrong with that?"

another is:

"You don't have to sell out to be famous, but you do to be rich"

I agree with both

Truculent Sheep
14th September 08, 09:55 PM
Shit Sandwich.

Deadmeat
14th September 08, 10:06 PM
Megadeth is a whole different story, though. They are 10x more creative than Metallica. Rust In Peace blows away all of Metallica's albums easily. You can actually hear the bass for one. Megadeth fell too and are getting back up again, but I think since Mustaine has always been a better guitarists than either Hetfield or Hammett and more creative...

Totally Agree.

Metallica have sucked flaccid, diseased, Bob Rock since the Black Album in 1991.Fixed.

WarPhalange
14th September 08, 10:38 PM
one argument is :

"Well, thats what happens with musicians, that's how you make a living, by selling out, otherwise you don't get big, they play what people want, whats wrong with that?"

another is:

"You don't have to sell out to be famous, but you do to be rich"

I agree with both

Bands have a right to sell out to make money and fans have a right to be pissed off when the bands they like sell out.

Selling out is like starting up a McDojo. Suddenly bands that were symbolic of something, like Metallica and thrash metal, rebellion, etc., go soft so that they attract people. Then you get poseurs who are attracted to what the band used to be about and stick with it because the music is like the Top 40 bullshit they are used to.

Listening to new Metallica makes people think they "are Metal" when in reality they listen to watered-down garbage. It's like Avril whatever or Greenday. They are trying to present a Punk attitude with their band and they clearly are mainstream garbage.

In all honesty, none of this would happen if people just didn't care about image. A lot less people would listen to Metallica if their name and past didn't suddenly invoke the pinnacle of Heavy Metal. And, the people that still listened to them wouldn't try to pass as "being Metal", they'd do it because they like their ballads and hard rock.

Quikfeet509
15th September 08, 06:19 AM
Metallica's old songs that are on Rock Band are impossible to play on expert level with the drums.

Oh, their new album is lame. I give it two weeks before my wife wants to buy it.

Halfrican
15th September 08, 12:52 PM
Metallica's old songs that are on Rock Band are impossible to play on expert level with the drums.

Oh, their new album is lame. I give it two weeks before my wife wants to buy it.

Wait until Tool - Vicarious and Parabola on expert

Fearless Ukemi
15th September 08, 12:53 PM
i was a pretty big metallica fan back in the day. i'm not touching this shit.

last good album was and justice for all.

I never understood why the black album gets no love. So underrated....

WarPhalange
15th September 08, 01:13 PM
It's good music, but it's not METAL. Metallica are a METAL band. If Sabbath came out with some country ho-down music everybody would be just as pissed, even if it was zomg the best music ever.

Neildo
15th September 08, 01:14 PM
too much radio play. if i hear enter sandman one more goddamn time.....

Halfrican
15th September 08, 01:20 PM
click here!

jRYDetbwegs

Neildo
15th September 08, 01:23 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHjkj' ipmngfvhgfxzgfszdb,m.,n

Dark Helmet
15th September 08, 08:51 PM
AC/DC will be coming out with their album soon.Just trying to brighten everyone's evening.

WarPhalange
15th September 08, 09:01 PM
I never could get into AC/DC. I'm not a fan of hard rock and that's all these guys are. Very simple songs, very easy to play, very loud. I don't mind them if they're on the radio, but I don't listen to them otherwise.

Zendetta
16th September 08, 12:10 AM
I heard one of the tracks on the radio. I kept waiting for them to start Rocking Out.

It never happened.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
16th September 08, 05:13 AM
How's the production on this CD anyway? It's probably a terrible album just by virtue of how badly compressed I'm sure it is.