PDA

View Full Version : The Glory that was Gruppe B.

Sirc
11th September 08, 01:45 PM
Back in the late 80's something happened that changed the world of racing. An unlimited class for rally racing was started and it took the entire world by storm. This class would become legendary and the drivers would enter the halls of racing history as the balliest motherfuckers ever.

It's name was "Group B." Only the most fearless and best drivers in the world would have the testicular fortitude to even think about driving this. Cars that weighed less than 2200lbs and had more than 600hp, driving on 1-lane dirt roads in horrible weather conditions would blast through between crowds who stood close enough to touch the cars as they drove by.

These people were legendary and now I present to you videos of their awesomeness.

nYhiJeRPgdw

K3Mag3kA2J8

And this gives you an idea of how freaky it is.

Gula1SZ9HYs

Neildo
11th September 08, 03:32 PM
fuck i love audi GTs

hey i saw an RS200 lol. those things are awesomely stupid.

goddamn metallica soundtrack though. i'd rather just hear engine noise, sounds much better. i muted it and put on some old scientist dub, goes surprisingly well with it.

Sirc
11th September 08, 04:21 PM
Pure sound you say?

K3Mag3kA2J8

Halfrican
11th September 08, 04:25 PM
Those fans have balls of steel

Sirc
11th September 08, 04:52 PM
Actually that's why Group B had to be disbanded. After too many fans were killed as a result of the incredible horsepower, the crashes and too many fires and deaths, it was deemed too dangerous.

The last nail in the coffin was, if i remember correctly, during the tour de corse, Henri Toivonen or however you spell his fucking name, launched his car over a hill, burst into flames and all that was left of him and his co-driver was their skeletons and the blackened charred frame of the Lancia Delta S4. Nobody knew what the cause of the crash was and it was never found out. A mere 5 hours later, I believe, The FIA president disbanded Group B.

Right before that race in Rally Portugal, one of the drivers drove his RS200 into a crowd of fans and killed 3 people and severely injured 30+ others.

Dark Helmet
11th September 08, 05:16 PM
Right before that race in Rally Portugal, one of the drivers drove his RS200 into a crowd of fans and killed 3 people and severely injured 30+ others.
JEnGY03YjOc

This here shows the actual accident.Also,really cool tribute vid.

You also will see Toivonen car burned right to the frame.Nothing was left because the cars were made of nothing but aluminum ,plastic and fiberglass.

Halfrican
11th September 08, 06:42 PM
So the problem wasn't really the group B cars, it was the god damn idiots seeing how close they can get to them.

Sirc
11th September 08, 06:44 PM
Personally, as a driver, I would be fucking annoyed as hell to see a bunch of people when I went over a crest.

Sirc
11th September 08, 06:45 PM
So the problem wasn't really the group B cars, it was the god damn idiots seeing how close they can get to them.

The cars themselves were too powerful and uncontrollable.

The year that they disbanded Group B, Toyota had built a Rally car based on the MKI MR2 chassis (AW11) that was Mid-engined Rear Wheel drive that weighted 1300lbs, had 750whp and they SHORTENED the wheel base by 5 inches.

partyboy
11th September 08, 07:46 PM
so I was reading up on some of the cars for this and found out this little gem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_and_Furious

no.No.NO.NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

not a goddamn nother one of these movies. I don't care if it has the original cast and RS200's in it. burn it now!

Sirc
11th September 08, 08:04 PM
I heard rumors about it having rally stuff in it. I really hope not.

I don't want to go out to my dirt roads in the mountains only to have to rescue a bunch of kids in their WRX who've flipped their car or sent it off the side of a ravine acting like retards.

On the plus side, if they do, they will undoubtedly have a GC chassis Impreza in it and my car will be worth 10x more than what it is now.

Halfrican
11th September 08, 08:32 PM
Everyone knows ricers prefer Evo's

Sirc
12th September 08, 04:32 AM
Everyone knows ricers prefer Evo's

Imprezas and WRX's are cheaper to get and modify.

Lancers are shitty pieces of shitty shit.

king of seals
12th September 08, 08:17 AM
Those fans have balls of steel

Because the sport was SO manly that even the fans had them.

Lancia Delta S4 has to be my favorite car of all time. Turbo and supercharged? Hell yeah.

Turbocharged, supercharged, mid-engined, all-wheel drive, 0-60 mph in 2.5 seconds ON GRAVEL and still manages to look like an everyday hatchback. Well, sorta.

Back in the day, we had things like Ferrari-powered RWD rally cars, Lancia racing, V4 engines (yes I said V4) even the hope for a rally-spec Ferrari F40.

In another dimension, the casualties that ended Group B have not occurred, and the series continues with increasingly faster and safer mid-engine cars...
The earth shakes as they fly by.

Sounds like a veeeery good premise for a videogame, doesn'it?

But without going to another dimension, there's Pikes Peak Unlimited with weirdness like 1000 HP cars weighing less than a ton with wings on the hood* as well as the back.

*an FTO had one if I'm not mistaken.

Sirc
12th September 08, 03:19 PM
Because the sport was SO manly that even the fans had them.

Turbocharged, supercharged, mid-engined, all-wheel drive, 0-60 mph in 2.5 seconds ON GRAVEL and still manages to look like an everyday hatchback. Well, sorta.

Back in the day, we had things like Ferrari-powered RWD rally cars, Lancia racing, V4 engines (yes I said V4) even the hope for a rally-spec Ferrari F40.

In another dimension, the casualties that ended Group B have not occurred, and the series continues with increasingly faster and safer mid-engine cars...
The earth shakes as they fly by.

Sounds like a veeeery good premise for a videogame, doesn'it?

But without going to another dimension, there's Pikes Peak Unlimited with weirdness like 1000 HP cars weighing less than a ton with wings on the hood* as well as the back.

*an FTO had one if I'm not mistaken.

The pike's peak FTO is pretty damn fast. I've seen it in action, but it's very very peaky high-revving and hard to drive from what my friends who've driven it told me.

In all fairness, the WRC cars are much faster than the group B cars ever were. But they make up for the lack of horsepower with brakes, suspension, tires and chassis.

Group B was kind of the catalyst for creating a complete rally race car series. Before it was Group N and Group A, which were limited and not very slow. But the desire to go balls out, sex strong and retard fast won out and WRC cars and homologation rules were invented.

danno
12th September 08, 10:11 PM
i love how those cars look. much more angular, just how i thought cars were supposed to look when i was a kid.

the driving in those videos was insane.