PDA

View Full Version : Start growing your neck beards: Atlas Shrugged Movie

mrblackmagic
10th September 08, 07:04 PM
It's official: Angelina Jolie is set to star in the film adaptation of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. David Kelley, Founder and Senior Fellow of The Atlas Society (TAS) confirmed with producer Howard Baldwin that Jolie is "signed, sealed and delivered." Kelley is serving as a producer and consultant for the film, and TAS trustee John Aglialoro is serving as an executive producer.

The Baldwins acquired the film rights to the novel from Aglialoro in 2003, after launching Crusader Entertainment with Philip Anschutz.

When Anschutz decided not to make the movie, the Baldwins took the project with them when they left Crusader to form Baldwin Entertainment Group.

As TNI previously reported in our celebrity Rand fan issue of The New Individualist, Jolie is a longtime fan of Rand -America's most controversial individualist - so her enthusiasm for playing the female lead of Dagny Taggart, the intelligent and powerful executive of a railroad empire, is not surprising.

Producers Karen and Howard Baldwin spoke at The Atlas Society's recent Summer Seminar about plans for their film adaptation of Atlas Shrugged. At that time we passed on the news Jolie had expressed a “keen interest” in playing Dagny Taggart and that the Baldwins had already had extensive discussions with her.

Producer Karen Baldwin also told Robert Bidinotto, editor-in-chief of The New Individualist, that Jolie showed up to one of their meetings with a copy of TNI under her arm -specifically, our January/February "celebrity Rand fan" issue, which featured Angelina and Brad Pitt on the cover that spoofed People magazine. "She really liked it," said Baldwin.

Jolie has the stellar box-office appeal that would allow the film to be a huge success, not only in the U.S. market but also abroad. The challenging and unique role would also no doubt, add an intriguing new dimension to Jolie's body of work.

The news comes at a time when America stands at a historic crossroads; much of Atlas Shrugged reveals the design of decline in America. The film could therefore be a pivot point for significant change in America.

For previous TAS announcements about the film, click here.

http://www.objectivistcenter.org/cth-13-1777-Jolie_bags_the_game.aspx

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480239/

Actually, I looking forward to the whinying of the die hard fans more than the movie itself. The tubes are going to be a very interesting place after Hollywood throws the plot on top of a pinball machine and has it's wicked way with it. What would be even funnier is if this thing sinks into the ocean. Either way, I'll get some laughs out of this.

Phrost
10th September 08, 07:07 PM
Posting in an Atlas Shrugged thread.

Zendetta
10th September 08, 08:18 PM
The article doesn't mention a rumor I heard:

Brad Pitt is John Galt!

Shawarma
10th September 08, 08:58 PM
Didn't they already make this movie some time ago or am I thinking of that other book Rand wrote, the Fountainhead or the Showercap or something similar?

MrBadGuy
10th September 08, 09:51 PM
You mean I fucking read and wrote an essay on this piece of crap for no reason, when I could've just failed a few times and watched the movie?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
10th September 08, 10:11 PM
The Atlas Society

lol!

mrblackmagic
11th September 08, 05:35 AM
Didn't they already make this movie some time ago or am I thinking of that other book Rand wrote, the Fountainhead or the Showercap or something similar?

They made the Fountainhead starring Gary Cooper.

Arhetton
17th September 08, 09:31 PM
I'm on of those retards that really liked atlas shrugged. I grew up in a really left wing family and reading it was kind of refreshing. A new and different set of ideas & beliefs to explore.

I also quit my first science degree and got into a whole bunch of new age crap before I cleaned up my mind and started my second science degree, so to me the praise - worthiness of science in Ayn Rands books and skepticism in general were values that appealed to me, for reasons I felt I understood (as a reformed moron).

I also know that as an engineer I'll be working for the man (TM), so allow me my fantasies of revolting and watching my stupid overlords starve/die.

I think this movie has the potential to be horrible. The best thing I've seen so far is just some fans videos on youtube:

s-4oehFZI-k

mrblackmagic
17th September 08, 11:59 PM
I played Bioshock and I read Atlas Shrugged. Then I went and played Bioshock some more.

mrblackmagic
20th September 08, 06:05 PM
You got me. What does that mean?

new2bjj
20th September 08, 08:40 PM
Like most philosophy, easy to say, hard to live.

Most Rand types I've meet are the kind of guys that couldn't get into a fraternity and were really, really bitter about it- "can't anyone see how brilliant and self actualized I am!!!!"

I think the "Passion of Ayn Rand" movie pretty much sums up her whole philosophy, which seemed to be pissing all over everyone else and calling it holy water.

Doritosaurus Chex
20th September 08, 09:14 PM
I should try and trick my friends and tell them that Bioshock was based on this book. I just hope that they're not smart enough to figure out that there's going to be a Bioshock movie coming out.

mrblackmagic
20th September 08, 09:42 PM
I should try and trick my friends and tell them that Bioshock was based on this book. I just hope that they're not smart enough to figure out that there's going to be a Bioshock movie coming out.

It is. All the cool parts that weren't in the actual book. God, I want those two months I spent reading that shit back.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
20th September 08, 09:46 PM
Bioshock is Atlas Shrugged: Under the Sea two years later after it inevitably turned into a pile of shit.

mrblackmagic
20th September 08, 10:23 PM
Hence being all the cool parts that weren't in the actual book.