PDA

View Full Version : Brazil (Movie)

Phrost
3rd September 08, 08:22 AM
What the dog humping crap was this visual cesspool supposed to be? Hey, Mr. Monty Python guy, you're supposed to be funny; that's why the BBC signed your checks. Nobody told you to try and make a commentary on the future, I want dead parrot sketches and snotty animations.

Also, seeing Governor Weatherby Swann flying around with wings made me roll my eyes so hard in my head that they're stuck looking to the left. That's right you fucker, I have to turn my head just to walk in a straight line because of this shitty film.

I hope Michael Bay does the remake and it gives you heart failure.

Shawarma
3rd September 08, 09:22 AM
Phrost = Teh Fail. Brazil is an excellent movie with a number of Kafkaesque undertones and great acting all around. It's not as fantastic or visually impressive as either Time Bandits or Münchausen, but it's probably the most relevant movie of the three.

How did your viewing of the movie END, Phrost? Did he escape with his girlfriend or not? Because there's apparently a difference between the American cut and the actual cut of the movie.

Phrost
3rd September 08, 09:46 AM
They walked away with him stuck in the chair mumbling.

Shawarma
3rd September 08, 10:09 AM
That's the proper ending, then.

Phrost
3rd September 08, 10:11 AM
Maybe I'm just missing some essential context here. Without it, the film just came off as a masturbatory, ultra-budget, film-snob boondoggle.

I want Boyd's perspective on this as well.

KhorneliusPraxx
3rd September 08, 10:17 AM
...and 23 years old.

KhorneliusPraxx
3rd September 08, 10:17 AM
Try 12 Monkeys next.

Phrost
3rd September 08, 10:19 AM
Seen it. Was ok.

Shawarma
3rd September 08, 10:25 AM
12 Monkeys I didn't like.

MrBadGuy
3rd September 08, 10:33 AM
My parents bought it when it was on VHS; the ending I saw is they shoot him in the head, and he sits there with a bullet hole in his forehead instead of mumbling.

Shawarma
3rd September 08, 11:31 AM
Was it the Quentin Tarantino cut?

cyrijl
3rd September 08, 12:35 PM
This was essentially Kafka's/Orwell's the Trial. If you hated this movie watch the original verions of the Trial with Anthony Perkins. If you end up hating both movies thant there is little hope for you. But the Trial might make things interesting where Brazil just kind of made them wierd. I think Brazil was about 45 minutes too long. My wife almost cut me for making her watch it and she likes smart movies.

Oh yeah, and there are alot of interconnected little points which are much more interesting the 2nd,3rd,Nth time around in Brazil. The first time it just seems like a whirlwind which slowly and painfully ends in a tired sad death rattle.

KidSpatula
4th September 08, 01:56 AM
I originally saw the Love Conquers All version of Brazil and man was it fucking stupid. Then I watched the version where he's just hallucinating the "happy ending", and it was a little less stupid but still pretty terrible unless maybe I was tripping my face off. I liked 12 monkeys, though.

Stick
6th September 08, 02:35 PM
I saw the version where they just left him there mumbling.

Ultimatly I found the film depressing without substance. That is, it didn't really feel like it had a purpose or meaning other than to make me sad, and that in spite of all the pretty images it was just a kind of comical retelling of 1984.

Sure their were some sequences and images that were awesome, but this ended up feeling like a fucking art project and it was art I didn't really care about.

It was just kind of meh.

Shawarma
6th September 08, 02:45 PM
Do you like Kafka?

Stick
6th September 08, 02:47 PM
I have a thing for roaches.

Phrost
6th September 08, 05:24 PM
It just seems like this film is a big, expensive, inside joke on film snobs. It's wearing no clothes.

Kiko
6th September 08, 05:27 PM
If you want Monty Pythonesque humor and have seen 'em all (and some of 'em aren't as funny as others) find Fawlty Towers. Nothing like watching Basil smack Manuel in the head.

KhorneliusPraxx
6th September 08, 10:00 PM
Sure their were some sequences and images that were awesome, but this ended up feeling like a fucking art project and it was art I didn't really care about.

It was just kind of meh.
that is what I said about Redbelt.

Stick
7th September 08, 12:47 AM
Yeah, but Red Belt was art I cared about.

SBG-ape
30th September 08, 12:04 AM
I like Brazil quite a bit but The Fisher King is easily Gilliam's best movie to date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wITHYBwT_yw&feature=related

Edit: my embedding skills are sadly lacking.

WarPhalange
30th September 08, 12:23 AM
Hey, Mr. Monty Python guy, you're supposed to be funny; that's why the BBC signed your checks.

That's right you fucker, I have to turn my head just to walk in a straight line because of this shitty film.

I'd say he did a pretty good job of being funny if that's the case.

Tanhalen21
30th September 08, 05:48 AM
Time Bandits
Are you fucking serious?

This movie was recommended to me by the clerk at this 24 hour video store in Vancouver, which doubled as an adult video store. I watched it. I nearly punched the guy in the face when I returned it. Not actually, but I did tell his friend that it was the shittiest movie I've ever seen and that the other guy has horrible taste in movies.

Maybe I just missed the "point"... or something.

Edit: Come to think of it, the second movie he mentioned was Brazil, but after the horrorshow that was Time Bandits I swore off any movie that that guy recommended to me.