PDA

View Full Version : RIP: Don LaFontaine

Eric
1st September 08, 11:30 PM
From ET Online:

Voiceover Master Don LaFontaine has died. He was 68.

LaFontaine, known as the "King of Voiceovers," died Monday afternoon at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. LaFontaine's agent, Vanessa Gilbert, tells ET that he passed away following complications from Pneumothorax, the presence of air or gas in the pleural cavity, the result of a collapsed lung. The official cause of death has not yet been released.

Over the past 25 years, LaFontaine cemented his position as the "King of Voiceovers." Aside from being the preeminent voice in the movie trailer industry, Don also worked as the voice of Entertainment Tonight and The Insider, as well as for CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and UPN, in addition to TNT, TBS and the Cartoon Network.

By conservative estimates, he voiced hundreds of thousands of television and radio spots, including commercials for Chevrolet, Pontiac, Ford, Budweiser, McDonalds, Coke, and many other corporate sponsors.

He recently parodied himself on a series of national television commercials for Geico. At last count, he has worked on nearly 5000 films, including appearances as the in-show announcer for the Screen Actors Guild and Academy Awards. Based on contracts signed, he has the distinction of being perhaps the single busiest actor in the history of SAG. Don is survived by his wife -- singer/actress Nita Whitaker, and three children: Christine, Skye and Elyse.
link (http://www.etonline.com/news/2008/09/64990/index.html)

The previews will never be the same.

Here's a fun short about the most famous voice-over dudes:
JQRtuxdfQHw

Steve
1st September 08, 11:33 PM
Bummer.

Kid Miracleman
1st September 08, 11:40 PM
Well... shit.

RIP, Don.

Aphid Jones
2nd September 08, 12:04 AM
"In a world, where..."

boondock lee
2nd September 08, 12:12 AM
Tragic. GG, you are now voicing for angels. This is for you, Don.
ZPBvFXf9Q2U

Neildo
2nd September 08, 12:59 AM
man, that guy intro'd all my favorite cheesy hollywood blockbuster movies but i think we've found his replacement. r.i.p D.L.F

jkdbuck76
2nd September 08, 11:55 AM
Who will deliver his eulogy? I kinda hoped he'd do mine.

"In a world that tolerates dumbasses, Jkdbuck76 thrived as a dumbass..." and so forth.

RIP Mr. la fontaine.

WarPhalange
2nd September 08, 04:05 PM
Here's a fun short about the most famous voice-over dudes:
JQRtuxdfQHw

Where's the bald guy from the Geico commercial? I WANT MY CAR INSURANCE.

Yiktin Voxbane
2nd September 08, 11:35 PM
I recall a Drew Carey *Special* on Cable Tv some years ago, featured one spot called

10 things you thought you'd NEVR hear Dave Penzer say .

Just you tubed that string and found
*No Videos found for 10 things you thought you'd NEVR hear Dave Penzer say*

Aphid Jones
3rd September 08, 01:22 AM
Where's the bald guy from the Geico commercial?

That's Don Lafonatine.

Seriously, man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJMGS7l0wT8

WarPhalange
3rd September 08, 01:24 AM
Yeah... I had a feeling I did something stupid.

But why didn't they have him in the Youtube video with the 5 of them?

Eric
3rd September 08, 01:28 AM
Dude, that's him. He's just not bald yet. He's the guy the owns the limo, note the D.L.F. at the beginning.

WarPhalange
3rd September 08, 01:31 AM
Really? I thought he sounded familiar. But he looks fatter and with hair, so I didn't think ti was him.