PDA

View Full Version : What Happens When Your Kid Is Really Good at Baseball?

SpringHeeledJack
26th August 08, 07:05 PM
The other faggy kids can't hit his pitches so their parents bitch about the league not being nurturing enough and the awesome kid is banned from the league.

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player -- too good, it turns out.

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho's team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho's coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

But Vidro says he didn't quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league's field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

"He's never hurt any one," Vidro said. "He's on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?"

The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.
"I feel sad," he said. "I feel like it's all my fault nobody could play."

Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.

Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

"I think it's discouraging when you're telling a 9-year-old you're too good at something," said his mother, Nicole Scott. "The whole objective in life is to find something you're good at and stick with it. I'd rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner."
League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.

"He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower," Noble said. "There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.

"Facing that kind of speed" is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.
League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

League officials say Jericho's mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

"I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho's mother exhibited Wednesday night," Noble said.

Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho's parents Monday to discuss legal options.

"You don't have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it's wrong," he said. "Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?"

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3553475&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines)

And people wonder why so many kids are giant pussies nowadays. Fucking ridiculous.

avenger
26th August 08, 07:11 PM
I guess, if kids are really good at a particular sport, and can beat everybody else down, they have to be banned.

But all the really shitty players can still play.

G-Off
26th August 08, 08:01 PM
"I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho's mother exhibited Wednesday night," Noble said.

Because little league parents never act badly?

It's bullshit to pull him from the league in the middle of the season when he hasn't hit anyone. Move him up to the next age group next year, or if he does hit someone. It seems fishy right in the middle of the season though.

WarPhalange
26th August 08, 08:05 PM
THAT FUCKER JUICES!!! I demand a urine test!!!

Steve
26th August 08, 08:08 PM
Yeah, moving him up to an older age group seems like the pretty simple solution to me.

Retards.

Yiktin Voxbane
26th August 08, 08:38 PM
Idiots ... nice way to teach a potential champion he should NEVER play above others abilities .

SFGOON
27th August 08, 12:57 AM
Hey, junior sports these days isn't about competition, or winning, or fitness! No! It's about learning to do your best as a team member, feeling confident, and turning little kids into pansy ass faggots!

socratic
27th August 08, 02:26 AM
What, they don't have divisions in US sports? Just bump the kid up a division for being the little badass he is. If you run out of divisions, either make a new one with all the other would-be awesome kids and kick even more ass.

Or just put him up to a higher age.

bob
27th August 08, 07:51 AM
The most disturbing aspect of this is a league with 100 kids has a lawyer and the parents are getting a lawyer. America, it's time for a Khmer Rouge style purging of your legal fraternity. Year Zero starts now.

jubei33
27th August 08, 09:08 AM
its an excellent lesson for the kid to learn: mediocrity, the American way. Now wash it down with gallon of coke and some more french fries on those thighs...

theotherserge
27th August 08, 10:02 AM
The most disturbing aspect of this is a league with 100 kids has a lawyer and the parents are getting a lawyer. America, it's time for a Khmer Rouge style purging of your legal fraternity. Year Zero starts now.

this is the end of sweet America, the trend was detected about 15 years ago when failed Harvard MBA's who couldn't run a shoe-store, went back to law school.

Also, it's kind of good the kid gets benched because at nine-years old, he could easily blow his shoulder. Thanks to coaches who badly want to win a game vs. other nine year old kids. This sort of thing does happen with kids losing their potential careers...

Halfrican
27th August 08, 10:51 AM
the other kids should learn to swing a bat better or gtfo

SpringHeeledJack
27th August 08, 12:49 PM
Also, it's kind of good the kid gets benched because at nine-years old, he could easily blow his shoulder. Thanks to coaches who badly want to win a game vs. other nine year old kids. This sort of thing does happen with kids losing their potential careers...

This is the only positive thing that could possibly come from this situation. I shall illustrate my point with a personal anecdote.

I started playing baseball when I was five (our league was small, so we had a pretty wide age range. I played with kids in the 6th grade. Wonder what parents these days would say about that?) There was this one kid who was my age that ended up being really talented. It didn't hurt that he was much larger than most of the other kids his age.

Anyway, as the years went on, he only got better and better. He was a pitcher, and there were only a few of us that could ever get a hit off this guy. He pretty much dominated the league.

By the time he was 15 he was the starting pitcher on the varsity team. Scouts from several big name colleges were already showing up to check him out. By 16 he had committed to play at USC on a full scholarship.

By 18, he had already undergone two surgeries on his elbow and another on his shoulder. Needless to say, he never played a single game in college.

He now works at a lumberyard in fucking Orangeburg (where we grew up).

WarPhalange
27th August 08, 03:01 PM
Baseball is fucking ridiculous. You spend 4 hours doing nothing, and the people who actually do do something end up hurting themselves for it.

What the fuck kind of sport is that?

Steve
27th August 08, 03:10 PM
http://www.videodetective.com/titledetails.aspx?publishedid=4619

theotherserge
27th August 08, 10:46 PM

I was gonna say something insulting to you, but then I realized that you didn't make this pile of "funky butt-loving"! The Cub still suck that badly...

was that Gary Busey?

Doritosaurus Chex
2nd September 08, 10:59 PM

Fuck you for making me remember a shitty childhood moment.

Sirc
6th September 08, 02:20 PM
What the mother fuck?