PDA

View Full Version : LOL, America got pwnt in softball...

Steve
22nd August 08, 12:59 PM
You know the story about how softball will no longer be an Olympic sport because America is so kickass at it? Well guess who won the gold in the last Olympics that will feature the sport....

Japan stun United States to claim Olympic gold in softball's farewell

Japan stunned the United States 3-1 to claim Olympic softball gold, denying America a fourth straight title in a sport that has been dropped from the Games for London 2012.

It was the first time the United States had failed to win the gold since softball was introduced in 1996, and their first defeat in 22 Olympic matches - a stretch dating back to Sydney 2000. Instead they settled for silver, with Australia taking bronze.

Yesterday Japan lost their semi-final to the United States but reached the gold medal game with a dramatic, 4-3, 12-inning victory over Australia.

Pitcher Yukiko Ueno showed no ill effects in a marathon two-day effort in which she threw a total of 21 innings. Asked what had carried her through fatigue, she said: "My strong belief to win."

With Japan leading 2-1 in the seventh inning, two crucial American errors allowed Megu Hirose to score a killer third run.

"It's disappointing," said US third-base Crystl Bustos. "It's the last one (Olympic softball final), but what can you do? They came out hard."

US dominance of the sport has been pinpointed as the main reason softball has been dropped after Beijing, but backers of the sport are still hoping it will be reinstated eventually.

Japanese coach Haruka Saito said the upset could add impetus to the "Back Softball" campaign. "It is a big encouragement and motivation for us to get softball back into the Olympic Games," she said. "We will promote it all over the world, every corner of the world."

US shortstop Natasha Watley agreed the final had showcased softball's credentials. "They are taking this sport out of the Olympics, but (Japan's win) shows that it can be any team's game. It's a great game, softball. We worked our asses off, and they worked their asses off."

-----------------------------

Link. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/2597734/Japan-stun-United-States-to-claim-Olympic-gold-in-softballs-farewell---Beijing-Olympics.html)

I'm sorry, but that just makes me laugh. As stated, though, perhaps this will bring softball back to the games sooner rather than later.

Arhetton
22nd August 08, 02:27 PM
what about the relays where both of your teams dropped the baton? embarassing!

Steve
22nd August 08, 02:51 PM
what about the relays where both of your teams dropped the baton? embarassing!

You wanna talk embarrassing, the woman that dropped it in these Olympics fucked it up in the last Olympics too!!

LOL.

Kein Haar
22nd August 08, 05:40 PM
No softball for London?

I bet they'll keep handball and rhythmic gymnastics, though.

Shawarma
22nd August 08, 06:07 PM
Handball is an actual sport. Deserves its space more than several other disciplines.

partyboy
22nd August 08, 06:16 PM
america took a dive for the sake of softball in the olympics

...really

bob
22nd August 08, 06:48 PM
Fuck softball, I wanna see Tball in the Olympics. I owned at that in 2nd grade.

Sun Wukong
22nd August 08, 07:30 PM
Handball is an actual sport. Deserves its space more than several other disciplines.

... I don't know... it seems to me if you let people play handball you might as well let them play dodgeball too. Maybe it's because I've never played, but it looks kinda like a game that would kick much ass on the playground during recess, but then again, so does four square.

granted, it'd be nice to see a professional sport in the US that anybody could play as long as they weren't enormously fat.

OZZ
22nd August 08, 07:53 PM
Guys, we are talking about an Olympic games that allows BMX RIDING into the mix!
Give me a break!!

WarPhalange
22nd August 08, 08:05 PM
EXTREME YOYO ZOMG CAN YOU HANDLE IT????

partyboy
22nd August 08, 11:38 PM
http://jizzbin.com/ftpFiles/39642_blogpost_1185629190982_105.jpg

TWISTER!!!

Steve
23rd August 08, 12:08 AM
Origami.

http://snukes.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/dragon-origami.jpg

Neildo
23rd August 08, 02:33 AM
You wanna talk embarrassing, the woman that dropped it in these Olympics fucked it up in the last Olympics too!!

LOL.

hilarious. GAH THE PRESSURE

Shawarma
23rd August 08, 03:39 AM
... I don't know... it seems to me if you let people play handball you might as well let them play dodgeball too. Maybe it's because I've never played, but it looks kinda like a game that would kick much ass on the playground during recess, but then again, so does four square.

granted, it'd be nice to see a professional sport in the US that anybody could play as long as they weren't enormously fat.
Dodgeball is a kids game. Handball is something requiring strategies and exceptional teamwork and shit.

Oh, and it's really difficult when you've grown up playing football and basketball. I especially find being the goalie hard.

Steve
23rd August 08, 04:04 AM
Seriously, what is this strategy you speak of? Got a YouTube or PDF on how it's so amazing?

Shawarma
23rd August 08, 04:37 AM
Watch a handball game, Yank.

Steve
23rd August 08, 04:46 AM
Ahem, the girl that took my precious virginity from me was an expert handball player for her age (she was 17, I was 15), from Norway. I think I know my handball.

Steve
23rd August 08, 05:09 AM
Least of your worries when you're with a Norwegian girl.

bob
23rd August 08, 05:37 AM
Ahem, the girl that took my precious virginity from me was an expert handball player for her age (she was 17, I was 15), from Norway. I think I know my handball.

No doubt she was Steven.