PDA

View Full Version : I am the anti-Bike!

WarPhalange
12th August 08, 08:22 PM
Tuesday, last week. I ride in to work. Friend takes a look at my bike and offers to tune it up. He knows his stuff, so I let him. Included in the tune up is properly inflating my tires, which were almost dead. I happily ride back to my office and chain up the bike. When I am about to go home, I notice I have a flat. I think "shit". Turns out the tire was shit and old and the inner tube had been patched twice already. That was my land-lady's neighbor's bike.

I start using my land lady's bike. A woman's bike, no less. Friday rolls up and as I am riding over an overpass on my way to work, I feel the tire go flat. That time I thought "God damn."

Sunday comes and I ask the neighbor for a different bike. She gives me her daughter's bike this time. By now I am used to riding women-folk bikes, so I just take it, because it's better than walking. I ride about a total of a mile to test it out, and it's fine. I ride in to work on Monday and it's fine. I check the tires at lunch time, and they are fine. I start heading home and notice the front tire is flat again. "Fuck you, God" was my only response. It's personal now.

Three bikes in the span of a single week. What the fuck am I doing wrong?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
12th August 08, 08:27 PM
The morbid obesity probably doesn't help.

Halfrican
12th August 08, 08:27 PM
instead of getting new bikes you could learn how to change a tube?

WarPhalange
12th August 08, 08:28 PM
5'10" 200lbs isn't morbidly obese, especially when you consider my land lady is no doubt heavier and she never killed her bike.

WarPhalange
12th August 08, 08:29 PM
instead of getting new bikes you could learn how to change a tube?

My neighbor bought a bunch and now we're waiting for them to arrive. We tried to fix the 2nd bike, but the hole (which is tiny) is right next to the stem where you inflate it, so you can't really patch it.

In the mean time I have to use another bike.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
12th August 08, 08:31 PM
5'10" 200lbs isn't morbidly obese,

You're like thirty pounds overweight. How does it feel to know that?

WarPhalange
12th August 08, 08:33 PM
Old news.

Tom Kagan
12th August 08, 09:06 PM
Three bikes in the span of a single week. What the fuck am I doing wrong?

Awhile back in a defunct forum, I wrote a rant titled: "The Rubber Gods Hate Me".

They may hate you, too.

WarPhalange
12th August 08, 09:08 PM
Did you get someone pregnant?

Tom Kagan
12th August 08, 09:11 PM
Did you get someone pregnant?

The nickname given to condoms not withstanding, I haven't offended the gods of latex.

WarPhalange
12th August 08, 09:14 PM
So of what variety are your rubber woes?

Eric
12th August 08, 10:35 PM
Make sure you're not over-inflating them. I destroyed a couple of tubes like that pretty rapidly until I realized I was being a dumbass.

theotherserge
12th August 08, 11:25 PM
in San Francisco, if you have AIDS and ride a bicycle, you rule the whole town! I recommend you move to SF post-haste, sign up for a medical marijuana card and get to work on getting teh AIDZ.

You're tire woes will end quickly...

Phrost
12th August 08, 11:40 PM
Eric, your avatar of the Buttered Cat Accelerator is awesome.

bad credit
12th August 08, 11:57 PM
Three bikes in a span of a few days? Damn. Sounds like my luck with cars.

WarPhalange
13th August 08, 12:39 AM
Make sure you're not over-inflating them. I destroyed a couple of tubes like that pretty rapidly until I realized I was being a dumbass.

No, definitely not overinflating, I check on the tires for the maximum PSI. The first one was inflated normally, but the tire was shit and the tube was sticking out of the side. The 2nd and 3rd were normal pressure also.

The roads I ride on have a lot of shit on them, though.

EuropIan
13th August 08, 01:20 AM
It's an anti gravity device powered by narative causality

^This.

WarPhalange
13th August 08, 01:37 AM
I said I'm not over-inflating them. If the tire says 40-65 PSI, I'll go to 55 or 60. Oh, they're mountain bikes, too, so you'd think the tires would protect the inner tubes a bit, huh?

Eric
13th August 08, 01:40 AM
Thanks, but like everything else on the internet, I just stole it from /b/, don't really know who originally made it.

EDIT: Think I mighta found it on /x/ actually

Neildo
13th August 08, 02:34 AM
you wanna fix this problem, you gotta spend money.

http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Hybrid/Overdrive.aspx

try these
http://www.bikepro.com/products/tubes/tubes-tuffy.html

check your wheels. loose spokes can poke the tire from the inside, get some rim tape and a spoke wrench and tighten any loose spoke nipples. yes they're called nipples.

Halfrican
13th August 08, 02:52 AM
Three bikes in a span of a few days? Damn. Sounds like my luck with cars.

http://yelbochoapa.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/honda-logo.jpg

WarPhalange
13th August 08, 09:58 AM
you wanna fix this problem, you gotta spend money.

http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Hybrid/Overdrive.aspx

try these
http://www.bikepro.com/products/tubes/tubes-tuffy.html

check your wheels. loose spokes can poke the tire from the inside, get some rim tape and a spoke wrench and tighten any loose spoke nipples. yes they're called nipples.

The first bike I used, with the shitty old tires, actually has tire liners in it. I'm not going to spend money on that, though, because I'm coming home this weekend (should I start a thread to one-up NOB?). I just need to replace the inner tubes so that I don't feel like a dick.

Sun Wukong
13th August 08, 02:01 PM
dude, save your money and buy a new bike, with new tires. avoid teh huffy.

Neildo
13th August 08, 03:59 PM
my oversize BMX currently has maxxis holy rollers, no mr tuffy's and the cheapest asama inner tube i could find on short notice. yesterday i was bombing and jumping over tree roots on gravel at 35 kph. good tires are proably more important than a good inner tube.

note: bomb v; to ride with wild disreagard to personal safety. no actual explosives involved.
http://world.std.com/~Jimf/biking/slang.html

Cullion
13th August 08, 04:12 PM
I am simillarly cursed by the bike gods.

Has anybody tried those solid tyres? People in bike shops always say that they don't cushion the ride enough, but I suspect they like selling inner tubes and puncture repair kits.

Tom Kagan
13th August 08, 04:43 PM
I am simillarly cursed by the bike gods.

Has anybody tried those solid tyres? People in bike shops always say that they don't cushion the ride enough, but I suspect they like selling inner tubes and puncture repair kits.

If the rubber gods have it out for you, solid tires won't save you.

WarPhalange
13th August 08, 06:19 PM
Do you think I might have angered the Rubber Gods by worshipping the Metal Gods instead?

I still think I'd rather get a flat tire than have my frame collapse while I'm riding, though.

Kiko
14th August 08, 03:16 PM
You clearly need this guy....
http://www.thierig.nl/RLA/Wielrennen/images/bicycle-repair-man.jpg

WarPhalange
14th August 08, 07:23 PM
Good news! I made it to work today. I changed one of my tires to this beast that is thick as fuck and rubs against the brakes (no, not the pads, the actual metal parts because it's so fucking big) constantly, making it a pain in the ass to ride. In 95F weather. But I made it. Take that Rubber Gods!

nihilist
14th August 08, 11:06 PM
... this beast that is thick as fuck and rubs against the... parts because it's so fucking big... constantly, making it a pain in the ass to ride. . But I made it. Take that Rubber Gods!

You have to avoid those nightly back-alley rides in Capitol Hill.

Neildo
14th August 08, 11:42 PM
it rubs against the brakes? you bought the wrong size. i predict that tire won't last the week.

WarPhalange
15th August 08, 12:44 AM
You have to avoid those nightly back-alley rides in Capitol Hill.

I'm in Californa, dude. A town that has like 40k people. No back alleys. Lots of desert.

WarPhalange
15th August 08, 12:45 AM
it rubs against the brakes? you bought the wrong size. i predict that tire won't last the week.

The stubby things that stick out of the tires for traction and just barely. Doesn't even slow me down when I coast, which is completely weird.

nihilist
15th August 08, 01:02 AM
Yeah, no back alleys in California...

WarPhalange
15th August 08, 01:07 AM
Not in the town I'm living at.

nihilist
15th August 08, 01:09 AM
You know they make solid tubes for fat dudes and idiots who run over glass and stuff.

WarPhalange
15th August 08, 01:29 AM
Which one are you?

nihilist
15th August 08, 01:33 AM
I don't ride bisexuals.

nihilist
15th August 08, 01:34 AM
Why is your avatar so dreary next to mine?

Sun Wukong
15th August 08, 01:50 AM
amazingly, there's too much randy savage in this thread. i can't stop hearing my inner speak in a voice that says my body is simultaneously straining to take an enormous dump while the rest of me experiences a psychotic episode.

Neildo
15th August 08, 02:20 AM
i keep thinking of slim jim commercials

Neildo
15th August 08, 02:21 AM
PXTagE7BtRU

nihilist
15th August 08, 07:43 AM
Who's Randy Savage?

nihilist
15th August 08, 07:44 AM
Does he resemble a constipated pimp with dentures?

nihilist
15th August 08, 07:47 AM
BMBOSGVcTqA